PDA

View Full Version : New helmet or a leather jacket?

Maki
15th October 2009, 09:19
My brithday is coming up and I wonder what I should be asking for, a new helmet or a leather jacket? I have an older helmet that is relatively heavy, about 1600g and I can really feel the difference when I put a lid that weighs near 1300g on. I wonder if I will notice the difference while riding...

I have a cordura jacket that I am quite happy with, but i like the look of some leather jackets....

So, what would you prioritize, a lighter helmet or a new hacket?

Laxi
15th October 2009, 09:24
after seeing a mate bin at 50k wearing cordura my next priorty is a leather jacket! depends on how uncomfortable the helmet is i guess

vifferman
15th October 2009, 09:26
a new helmet or a leather jacket?
Yes.
You need both.

Maki
15th October 2009, 09:28
So a cordura jacket with armour is not sufficient protection?

Laxi
15th October 2009, 09:52

the armours fine but he still wound up wearing a couple of holes through it and some minor road rash

Quasievil
15th October 2009, 09:57
Its always down to budget at the end of the day really, we would all like the best of everything.
As a help I got some leather clearouts happy to work out a favourable deal for you, cheapest one is $200
Pm me your size if you like

p.dath
15th October 2009, 09:57
How old is your helmet? Keep in mind you should be replacing a helmet every 5 years (or earlier, if you believe the manufacturers). The protective styrofoam can loose its impact absorbing qualities over time.
Also check out the SHARP ratings on any helmet you are looking at buying:
http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

There is nothing wrong with armoured Cordura versus Leather. Cordura usually only handles one slide, and then it is a throw away. Leather can usually handle more than one spill, and is repairable.
Cordura is more waterproof.
Cordura pants can be worn over other things (like jeans). Leather pants can not.

So there are pros and cons of both. Both Cordura and Leather is a good choice over nothing.

Ypawa
15th October 2009, 10:07
wouldnt you be better of deciding which is the main NECESSITY of the 2? I personally think you need a new Helmet bro as you state its an OLDER one :D

Maki
15th October 2009, 10:07
Thanks folks, thats very helpful.

vifferman
15th October 2009, 10:13
It can be.
I had several bins in mine, but it had paded kevlar pads over the armour, and ended up with leather overlaid on the abrasion-prone areas (lower sleeves and shoulders). After that, it was almost perfect as a jacket: rain-proof, well armoured, warm in winter, cool in summer.
Then I bought a leather jacket that did all that, but fitted better and was more comfy.
And $1k.

Maki
15th October 2009, 10:16
I also want an Alpinestars back protector but the $ add up...

vifferman
15th October 2009, 10:19
I also want an Alpinestars back protector but the $ add up...
I bought a secondhand (but untested) Teknic back protector for $50 on TardMe.

Insanity_rules
15th October 2009, 10:47
after seeing a mate bin at 50k wearing cordura my next priorty is a leather jacket! depends on how uncomfortable the helmet is i guess

Oh yeah, I wear leather now. I was there.

ukusa
22nd October 2009, 10:55

Your head is more important, sound's like your helmets a bit old, so go the hell mutt!

TygerTung
23rd October 2009, 13:30
I have crashed a few times wearing cordura, and it was fine.

You can repair it too.

quickbuck
23rd October 2009, 18:39
Yup... 70km/hr off (don't ask okay) wearing my Cordura, and it came out fine... However it didn't like being left on a hot exhaust :doh:

Leather on the other hand... Well, i have used my leathers many times... BUT unlike the cows it is made from water gets in, so you need another piece of clothing if you ride in the rain...

If it was a present, I would actually go for a new jacket though, as they last longer than a Helmet.

Still got the leather jacket that I got from my parents for my 21st.

Chrislost
23rd October 2009, 20:05
My brithday is coming up and I wonder what I should be asking for, a new helmet or a leather jacket? I have an older helmet that is relatively heavy, about 1600g and I can really feel the difference when I put a lid that weighs near 1300g on. I wonder if I will notice the difference while riding...

I have a cordura jacket that I am quite happy with, but i like the look of some leather jackets....

Personally i would go for the leather. So long as it has decent armour!!!!! Much better for sliding in too, as it does not take 1.5 of a seconds to wear through like cordura, and usually is much nicer to wear during the summer months. In fact, the only time i would rather be in cordura than leather is in PISSING rain. Leather is in fact pretty good in dribbling rain, if you treat it with a product called sno seal (bees wax, makes it shine, water proofer(not100%) and a bit more flexable...)

The heavier helmet will help keep your neck muscles strong, which in turn will help you bounce off it in an off...

sport-cruzer?
23rd October 2009, 20:53
If you feel your helmet is unsafe replace it otherwise go the leather, they don't allow cordura on the racetrack... worth thinking about. I wear a Warehouse pvc parker over my leathers and always stay dry.

2wheeldrifter
24th October 2009, 11:58
Go for the helmet,will significantly reduce your fatigue and muscle soreness both during and after rides... weather you have any now or not, has to help your neck out eh?,

be nice to your neck, it's the only one you have lol

BMWST?
24th October 2009, 13:22
Cordura pants can be worn over other things (like jeans). Leather pants can not.

nonsense...why not,its purely down to the fit.,i think the weight of a helmet is not noticeable while riding,the wind pressure outweighs any weight difference.Leater jacket is nicer to wear than even breatable cordura.See if you can get one you can use with a thermal liner so useable in all temps.You will need a rainproof over jacket if you want to wear it on overnighters...

Maki
29th October 2009, 21:15
Thanks everyone. I ended up with a new helmet and don't regret it. It has a pinlock visor so no fogging. I can also feel it is lighter than my old helmet. Whenever I move my head to do a head check, etc. I can feel it. I am sure the extra lightness will make a big difference on longer rides.

Chooky
30th October 2009, 21:19
Thanks everyone. I ended up with a new helmet and don't regret it. It has a pinlock visor so no fogging. I can also feel it is lighter than my old helmet. Whenever I move my head to do a head check, etc. I can feel it. I am sure the extra lightness will make a big difference on longer rides.

And you can still get get your leather jacket as a Christmas pressy...:laugh:

Anything else I can help you with....?

davebullet
31st October 2009, 06:53

It's great to have others want to contribute to buying you gear... I'd hit them up for xmas and speak to Quasievil on here about a jacket for you. Just picked one up from him and it's the bees knees!

jono035
31st October 2009, 20:36

Yeah, gotta love the pinlock, amazing how something that so many people find a problem just goes away.

marine0089
5th November 2009, 13:51
Dam now I want a new leather jacket! (well a first one really ..mines currently a leather/textile hybrid which really just gives you the disadvantages of both <_<)

Quasievil
5th November 2009, 13:53
Dam now I want a new leather jacket! (well a first one really ..mines currently a leather/textile hybrid which really just gives you the disadvantages of both <_<)

Send me an email mate, we have some clearance stock and some low price options.
sales@qmoto.co.nz
cheers

marine0089
5th November 2009, 14:00
Haha that was quick Quasi.

Will do.