PDA

View Full Version : Race bike - still road registered?

lukemillar
15th October 2009, 13:19
Ok, few questions,

I recently converted my bike to a full-time track bike. I still have all the road bits if I ever want to change it back and sell it. So...

At the moment it is registered in Australia. I shipped it over on a temporary import which means it keeps the Aussie plates but is registered here so long as I keep the registration current in Australia as well. It's is also still on my insurance policy here as I wanted it covered for fire & theft.

Bottom line I'm paying compulsory 3rd party insurance + rego in Oz. I pay fully comp insurance, ACC and WOF here in New Zealand and now the bike can't even be ridden on the road!

This is really shit as it costs a bomb! I imported it temporarily as I only had a short work contract (which has now been extended) so I'll change that to permanent which fucks off the Aussie side of things.

What about NZ though? If I import it permanently - do I then have to register it and get plates? If so, Do I need to stick back on all the road gear, get it registered, then stick all the track stuff back on?

Or

Can I have an unregistered race bike here in NZ and just register it and get plates when/if I want to sell it? What do most of you with race bikes do?

Lastly, can I get inusrance for a race bike? With no registration, I doubt any road based insurance company will touch it!?

Hope that isn't too confusing!

Cheers
Luke

Rodney007
15th October 2009, 13:28
im curerntly doing something similar to my 600rr.

but im not as yet racing as i want to get more practice in at race testdays/trackdays before i race "so im not one of the noobs at the back"

the bike currently has a wof and reg, and therefore is in insured at ANY trackday, as long as its no lap timing or racing,

so for the wof i swap over the gear to "road mode" lights indicators fairings etc" and youl only need todo that once a year.

mods:
hyperpro shock
hyperpro dampner
cnc steps
race fairings
slicks
muffler/down pipe
twin braids front/braided rear
cinted pads/race fluids etc

i personaly recomend NAC insurance, was the cheapest of them all, only need 1 day notice before a trackday and they cover ANY trackdays including puke open days etc with cars.
but no race cover..that would just be pushing it lol!

if i was you id just keep it wofd n reg'd for insurance at trackdays, then just bite the bullet for your races..

7mmWSM
15th October 2009, 13:31
Ok, few questions,

I recently converted my bike to a full-time track bike. I still have all the road bits if I ever want to change it back and sell it. So...

At the moment it is registered in Australia. I shipped it over on a temporary import which means it keeps the Aussie plates but is registered here so long as I keep the registration current in Australia as well. It's is also still on my insurance policy here as I wanted it covered for fire & theft.

Bottom line I'm paying compulsory 3rd party insurance + rego in Oz. I pay fully comp insurance, ACC and WOF here in New Zealand and now the bike can't even be ridden on the road!

This is really shit as it costs a bomb! I imported it temporarily as I only had a short work contract (which has now been extended) so I'll change that to permanent which fucks off the Aussie side of things.

What about NZ though? If I import it permanently - do I then have to register it and get plates? If so, Do I need to stick back on all the road gear, get it registered, then stick all the track stuff back on?

Or

Can I have an unregistered race bike here in NZ and just register it and get plates when/if I want to sell it? What do most of you with race bikes do?

Lastly, can I get inusrance for a race bike? With no registration, I doubt any road based insurance company will touch it!?

Hope that isn't too confusing!

Cheers
Luke

If you cancel your aussie rego you will need to have it re-vinned for NZ so I'd just wait til you come to sell it if you want to sell it as a road bike.
You will be able to get Fire and theft insurance- same as a motocross bike.

Seems pointless keeping the aussie rego going if your staying here for the next few years anyway.

lukemillar
15th October 2009, 14:16
Seems pointless keeping the aussie rego going if your staying here for the next few years anyway.

Originally I had a 9 months contract. By doing a temp import I can bring the bike in, pay the tax and GST and a s long as I leave within 12 months with it, I get the GST and tax back. Re-signed with work for another year a few weeks ago so it is only a recent development.

Importing permanently isn'a big issue as the only difference is I won't get the tax and GST back anymore. I have already paid it (well - work did :cool:). The main thing I guess, is do racebikes need to be registered or can I just leave that until I want to put it back on the road again (It may never go back on the road)

p.dath
15th October 2009, 14:56
Originally I had a 9 months contract. By doing a temp import I can bring the bike in, pay the tax and GST and a s long as I leave within 12 months with it, I get the GST and tax back. Re-signed with work for another year a few weeks ago so it is only a recent development.

Importing permanently isn'a big issue as the only difference is I won't get the tax and GST back anymore. I have already paid it (well - work did :cool:). The main thing I guess, is do racebikes need to be registered or can I just leave that until I want to put it back on the road again (It may never go back on the road)

You only have to register bikes that go on the road. If it doesn't go on the road, it doesn't need to be registered.

racerhead
15th October 2009, 15:12

Cheers
Luke

Contact Kiwibike insurance and ask about competition cover. Covers your bike for fire+theft while being stored at home or on the way to the track in van/trailer

lukemillar
15th October 2009, 15:55
Contact Kiwibike insurance and ask about competition cover. Covers your bike for fire+theft while being stored at home or on the way to the track in van/trailer

Sweet! that's who I'm with anyway, so I should just be able to transfer it

Cheers for all the replies,

Luke