PDA

View Full Version : ACC - no claims discount concept

davebullet
15th October 2009, 15:56
I agree with user pays. If you ride a big bike and crash all the time (at fault here) and get injured, you should pay your share.

Likewise. If you are a cager and "I didn't see him" and at fault, your levies would increase.

How about looking at insurance policy / ACC histories for riders. The longer you have been riding without incident, the less you pay. Sound feasible? ACC have your name. The Insurance Claims Register run by System Advisory Services has a collection of all the claims from all the main underwriters... All ACC histories are held in ACC's system (Fineos - not sure about the privatisation period in the late 90's....).. but technically quite possible. (I would consider designing an intergrated solution for a small fee....)

On a separate note... the first word under the ACC logo is "prevention". I would like to think any increase in levies goes towards advanced / defence riding course subsidies, better cager education / awareness etc....

p.dath
15th October 2009, 16:04
I think you'll find any increase in fees will go towards paying off debt ...

p.dath
15th October 2009, 16:06
Don't forget, ACC doesn't levy the rider/driver. They levy the vehicle. And a vehicle can have multiple users.

So very difficult to change the current system to benefit those users who have a good record.

MSTRS
15th October 2009, 17:38
Don't forget, ACC doesn't levy the rider/driver. They levy the vehicle. And a vehicle can have multiple users.

So very difficult to change the current system to benefit those users who have a good record.

Rubbish. A card that each licence holder carries (as they do with a licence). Card is issued each year or for a given period dependent on amount paid, factored by that person's history.

bones135
15th October 2009, 17:42
In all seriousness, some of the people on here should be in politics, in 1 day youve come up with a shitload better ideas than the peckerheads calling the shots have & how long has it taken them. Keep it up & we are bound to get somewhere:2thumbsup

xgnr
15th October 2009, 19:45
Great ideas

Problem will be in getting the various fragmented, ineffective, spreadsheet based systems to handle anything as sensible as that :clap:

Qkchk
15th October 2009, 19:53
I agree with the 'Most bins (doesn't) win' user pays. No claims bonus system like Insurance may work.

Since a large percentage of crash victims are of the 'Born-again biker' scene, why doesn't NZTA introduce a course that will reduce on'es premiums once they have completed it? Not a defensive driving course but more like a handling course done at a trackday? Practice cornering and braking techniques at real road speeds in a controlled environment. A great percentage of these guys rode older 500cc+ bikes when they 'used to ride years ago', which a modern 250cc jappa now has more power. They go out and buy a large capacity motorcycle and we end up with statistics.....

peasea
15th October 2009, 19:57
I agree with the 'Most bins (doesn't) win' user pays. No claims bonus system like Insurance may work.

Since a large percentage of crash victims are of the 'Born-again biker' scene, why doesn't NZTA introduce a course that will reduce on'es premiums once they have completed it? Not a defensive driving course but more like a handling course done at a trackday? Practice cornering and braking techniques at real road speeds in a controlled environment. A great percentage of these guys rode older 500cc+ bikes when they 'used to ride years ago', which a modern 250cc jappa now has more power. They go out and buy a large capacity motorcycle and we end up with statistics.....

That was a point (or two) that I put to the Minister of Transport.

Probably went in the shredder.

MadDuck
15th October 2009, 19:59
Since a large percentage of crash victims are of the 'Born-again biker' scene

Hey Chick. Are there stats to back this up? Not being an ass just wanting to know because if that is the case then what you suggest is on the money.

Qkchk
15th October 2009, 20:03
Hey Chick. Are there stats to back this up? Not being an ass just wanting to know because if that is the case then what you suggest is on the money.

I can admit it is just 'hear-say' as I don't have any figures. But as I recall, I remember TV3 doing a report earlier this year about 'Born again bikers' being the higher stat.

Im in no position at the moment to do any research but may look at it once Im back home this weekend....unless someone else has the numbers...

davebullet
15th October 2009, 20:32
Thanks for the feedback. I'll email in the suggestion (peasea's re-suggestion to be precise) and see it go into the e-shredder probably. At least I can continue to complain knowing I've voted for something equitable.