PDA

View Full Version : ATTENTION AUCKLAND BASED RIDERS...

Wheeliemonsta
16th April 2005, 21:01
A freindly word of warning to those of you in Auckland...

State Highway 16 is now a NO FLY ZONE...

Owing to the recent deaths of the Airforce boy's, the feds are hammering State Highway 16 and it's surrounding area's...

I personally know of five people, including myself, that got "busted" last weekend in less than hour... a further two, whom I do not know, had there bikes confiscated and licence's revoked, on the spot...

The vehicle doing the damage is an 03/04 Nissan Maxima, colour gold...

This particular vehicle has the latest in "the feds" arsenal... A radar system that DOE'S NOT transmit a detectable signal whilst in "Stand-by" mode and is generally operated via a hand held remote, external to the vehicle... so detectors are useless, including my much loved Valentine 1, until it's to late...

Unfortionately, I have had the opportunity to see this thing in action first hand, to those of you with a technical bent, it's a bloody awsome piece of gear...

Serviceable area, line of sight, is a bloody staggering 360 degree, 3 kilometre radius from the base unit (read car)

You simply have to see this thing in action to believe it's capabilities...

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED...

Take it easy out there y'all...

C U :Punk:

The

saiko
16th April 2005, 21:36
Thanks for the heads up.

Skyryder
16th April 2005, 21:37
[QUOTE=Wheeliemonsta]
This particular vehicle has the latest in "the feds" arsenal... A radar system that DOE'S NOT transmit a detectable signal whilst in "Stand-by" mode and is generally operated via a hand held remote, external to the vehicle... so detectors are useless, including my much loved Valentine 1, until it's to late...

Anyone have any idea the radar system being used.

Skyryder

zooter
16th April 2005, 21:40
Serviceable area, line of sight, is a bloody staggering 360 degree, 3 kilometre radius from the base unit (read car)

So how do they tell who they're measuring if it's not pointed at anything specific?

Wheeliemonsta
16th April 2005, 22:19
It's a blanket coverage spread, non 'line of site'... You simply enter the 'base units' area of coverage and should you progress through that area, at, or below the speed limit - you are fine... however you are being 'watched'...

Once you become a 'line of sight' target and are 'called up' via the operator's remote - you, should you be speeding, are history... It takes around the time for you to change two chanels on the T.V. for the system to aquire, lock and measure your speed... then, and only then will you get a 'trigger' from your detector....

I don't profess to know all the systems in's and out's... However, I am reliably informed that it's G.P.S based... and of French origin...

Try it out for yourselve's... I'll come and watch !!! :whistle:

C U

WINJA
16th April 2005, 22:21
JUST DO A RUNNER,IF YOUR GOING TO LOSE YOUR LICENCE MIGHT AS WELL GO FOR BROKE

Zapf
17th April 2005, 01:05
It's a blanket coverage spread, non 'line of site'... You simply enter the 'base units' area of coverage and should you progress through that area, at, or below the speed limit - you are fine... however you are being 'watched'...

Once you become a 'line of sight' target and are 'called up' via the operator's remote - you, should you be speeding, are history... It takes around the time for you to change two chanels on the T.V. for the system to aquire, lock and measure your speed... then, and only then will you get a 'trigger' from your detector....

I don't profess to know all the systems in's and out's... However, I am reliably informed that it's G.P.S based... and of French origin...

C U

GPS based? ermm... almost a mil based system... wonder why frequency it works on.... or is it a crazy spread spectrum / frequency hopping radar.... if they exist..

sAsLEX
17th April 2005, 01:13
umm sounds kinda like pop, where it uses low power until it needs to lock on, but gps!?!? WTF would they need that for?!?

" yes Judge I caught him speeding at exactly 46degrees west and 34 south"

sAsLEX
17th April 2005, 01:16

Once you become a 'line of sight' target and are 'called up' via the operator's remote -

they is has been feeding you some shite!!! non line of sight radar, I reckon a few people would be interested in that, hmm like the US military!!!
and 360 degree coverage, does it have a dish on top spinning, or multiple panels, amybe they have gonewhole hog and using phased array systems like the Aegeis ships....

Thanks a heap for the heads up though!!!

Mr Skid
17th April 2005, 01:33
Ah, the gold maxima of doom. Thanks for the tip!

Gremlin
17th April 2005, 01:45
What about the devices that bounce signals off strangely, rendering you basically invisible to the coppa??

Just when you thought you had out-thinked the police, they out-think your out-think... Oh, well, time to invent another device... :lol:

Perhaps people should actually have to slow down... :killingme

FEINT
17th April 2005, 01:47
Thanks for letting us know...! Will have to keep an eye out for the maxima!

DEATH_INC.
17th April 2005, 06:57
I've been steering clear of 16 for some time now,every flippin time I go up there seems to end in a game of 'hide and seek' :whistle: it's not a recent thing.....
I've seen that gold maxima too,in hot persuit of a FZR thou.....
It kinda sux,there's some neat roads up north,but to get there you have to run the gauntlet through sh16 or 1,or the waipu road,and there's often hp through there too :angry2:

Perhaps people should actually have to slow down... Where's the fun in putting along at 100kph?Might as well take the cage if I'm gonna do that,at least I'd have some sounds to relieve tha boredom......

Sniper
17th April 2005, 07:46
JUST DO A RUNNER,IF YOUR GOING TO LOSE YOUR LICENCE MIGHT AS WELL GO FOR BROKE

Nice theory Caps man

marmel
17th April 2005, 11:54
I think someone has been feeding you a bit of BS. 99% of the current radars use a wireless remote and don't transmit a signal until the cop pushes the button. It takes less than a second from when you push the transmit button until you can start tracking and then push another button to lock in the speed. I think a lot of cops just drive around with units transmitting constantly which is not ideal if target vehicles have detectors. As far as a 360 degree field that wouldn't work. At most a vehicle may have a front and rear antenna and depending on the model can block signals from approaching or traffic going away so they know which vehicle they are tracking. A key part of radar operation is visual observation of the target vehicle so the cop has to be looking at the vehicle he is tracking for confirmation and evidential purposes. If you aimed a radar at a vehicle going past at 90 degress you may get a reading but the reading would be so low it wouldn't be worth while as the difference in distance from the beams would be minimal..

Pixie
17th April 2005, 12:50

C U
This sounds like a load of B.S.Probabably cop misinformation.
if it was just a hawk in instant on mode which the have had for years it would behave to a radar detector as you described.
How does a "GPS based system" log the speed of a remote object that does not have a GPS transponder ?
I know a lot about microwave systems and LIDAR and I can assure you this sounds like bullshit.
Ever few years the cops "leak" that they have a wonderful new gadjet that Radar detectors are powerless against.It's just a tactic to temporarily stop people buying Detectors.
And if it was a new speed detector Used in POP mode then defend the fine in court because this mode is not acurate enough to be used inevidence anywhere in the world.
I once had a cop tell me that you couldn't detect the Hawk because "the signal was held in the antenna".Which makes as much sense as "the moon flys through the custard".

scumdog
17th April 2005, 12:56
Hah! I always knew the moon DID fly through the custard!! :niceone:

Big Dave
17th April 2005, 13:28
Thanks for the heads up - I was thinking it's only a matter of time before 16 came under more scrutiny the last time I rode up there - the numbers had to come up eventually. been a good run.
chz

saiko
17th April 2005, 15:14
using phased array systems like the Aegeis ships....

Good to see your training included the Aegeis system, hopefully Te Kaha can download the link to my kayak. That is, er.. if we had it.

Investigate, then post what you find. Could be true, or not. Like the U.S. spy satellite overhead now.

saiko
17th April 2005, 15:17
Didn't the authorities try & make radar detectore illegal a while back?

Two Smoker
17th April 2005, 16:46
Marmel is correct... They also dont use Hawks anymore (old technology now) but instead use the Stalker... These can trace the speed of an oncoming and the speed of a vehicle heading away from the police car on the opposite side of the road...

There is no 360 degree radar blah blah blah... A sensible cop (not that i like this) Will turn his/her radar on and off at varied times.. Then when it is turned on and a speed is reading that speed can be locked in the amount of time it takes to move a finger 10mm to the lock button...

Motu
17th April 2005, 16:53
It must of worked,it appears bikes are too scared to used SH16 now - I was at the Kaukapakapa Pub today (on my bike) and had a cider and bowl of chips,watching the road the whole time and never saw one bike go past.

mini_me
17th April 2005, 17:04
went down there today (1530 ish) was being very careful as I came out of wellsford (going north) owing to the $570 ticket I got a few weeks ago in that same place by said maxima, and sure enuff he was sitting at the bottom of that long downhill straight with a passing lane about 8 - 12k's out of wellsford. Once i passed him though I finally got to stretch the legs of the nc30.
m/m

avgas
17th April 2005, 17:42
If its 360 degree, it can be jammed easier.
Just about did 16 2day, but my mate chose a diffrent route and through his black zxr into a 'Concieled Exits' sign in the back of the Waitak's.
:lol: :killingme Had to crawl his bike home for him while he rode Saph' home. Fucked brakes kept locking up, fairings falling off, no right foot peg (or bracket)...... its was an interesting ride. Was really happy to get back on Saph'. I think his ego got more crused than his leg. No serious injuries though. Dented the post really good though.

Redstar
17th April 2005, 18:00
Thats a shame that bit of road is so primo and safe for a Blast. maybe a spotter on a moped goes ahead and mobile phones a group and clears a patch? its getting more like the Dukes of Hazard? (you have to be old to know what I mean) still we could get better organised? :2thumbsup

TwoSeven
17th April 2005, 18:04
they is has been feeding you some shite!!! non line of sight radar, I reckon a few people would be interested in that, hmm like the US military!!!
and 360 degree coverage, does it have a dish on top spinning, or multiple panels, amybe they have gonewhole hog and using phased array systems like the Aegeis ships....

I suspect you are about 60 years out on your technology.

Passive 360 surveylance radar has been around for ages. Its even on the ground at heathrow airport (debris scanning). If you put a coffee cup on the ground at heathrow, the radar picks it up and airport staff will come and clear it.

Basically the radar takes a kind of photo of the surrounding area then tracks any differences to that area over time - depending on the time

Its more than likely they are using a scanning radar with a wide angle. And I'd also suggest that the operator is using the hold switch correctly in order to ping the car - hence the radar detector is not picking up any signal, because none is being transmitted until the unit pings - think sub sonar here.

Hitcher
17th April 2005, 18:17
Next thing the cops will have a system where Tom Cruise arrives and takes your keys off you before you leave home...

sAsLEX
17th April 2005, 18:17
I suspect you are about 60 years out on your technology.

so radar can now bend around things., as in non line of sight!!?! Interesting.

Zapf
17th April 2005, 18:56
so radar can now bend around things., as in non line of sight!!?! Interesting.

I think its still line of sight, but it'll see you before u see him.

Two Smoker
17th April 2005, 19:10
If its 360 degree, it can be jammed easier.
Just about did 16 2day, but my mate chose a diffrent route and through his black zxr into a 'Concieled Exits' sign in the back of the Waitak's.
:lol: :killingme Had to crawl his bike home for him while he rode Saph' home. Fucked brakes kept locking up, fairings falling off, no right foot peg (or bracket)...... its was an interesting ride. Was really happy to get back on Saph'. I think his ego got more crused than his leg. No serious injuries though. Dented the post really good though.

hehehe, glad he is ok... bloody posts... See Suzukis are so much better... my bike took the post clean off at ground level...

c4.
17th April 2005, 21:26
Any one own any grenades????

chickenfunkstar
17th April 2005, 21:33
A freindly word of warning to those of you in Auckland...

State Highway 16 is now a NO FLY ZONE...

Owing to the recent deaths of the Airforce boy's, the feds are hammering State Highway 16 and it's surrounding area's...

I personally know of five people, including myself, that got "busted" last weekend in less than hour... a further two, whom I do not know, had there bikes confiscated and licence's revoked, on the spot...

Cheers for the notice.

Is this mostly happening near the Wellsford end or the Hellensville end?

FROSTY
17th April 2005, 22:20
aww fuckit --anyone got a raw spud and some ---hmm nevver mind
wots the bugger doing on My road.

Cleearly Im gonna hafta give the sod a real serious talking to about trespassing on private propety

bugjuice
17th April 2005, 22:29
jsut to really sound stupid, is 16 the road going from Westgate out up Helensville? Or the one that runs out to Kaukopakopa? tad cunfuzzled

250learna
17th April 2005, 23:41
if you realy keen on speeding your best of going down south, was in nelson for a few days and then down to hanmer springs... i only saw two cop cars and they were both parked at the station.
And if my calculations are correct ticket to get across and back will set you bak alot less than a speeding ticket... ohh and you dont lose demerit points for crossing the strait :msn-wink:

R6_kid
18th April 2005, 01:04
hmm, from what i heard the way the accidents happend (well at least one of them) shouldnt call a need for special surveilance from the cops. One guy ran wide passing a truck at and intersection and somehow got totalled, the other ran into a power poll at totara road (from memory, so probably speed involved)

Its sad to see them go out, and keep in mind boys and girls that the boys and girls in blue are out there to keep us safe. Sure we might feel safe doing high speed but the two accidents show that its not always that way.

Watch out for yourselves, if your that worried about getting caught speeding take it to the track.

Those two guys did a good job in the airforce and its sad to see them go out the way they did, but make sure you do what you can to be safe, and if the cops get in your way then face the consequences (or do a runner and have some more fun)

anyway im drunk so i probably dont know what im talking about, thanks for the heads up, i'll tell the people i know out that way that ride. I just didnt like the tone of the "owing to the deaths of the airforce boys". im signing off, back to mr vodka :drinknsin :niceone: :Punk:

be safe, be careful and dont get caught :cool:

avgas
18th April 2005, 09:23
hehehe, glad he is ok... bloody posts... See Suzukis are so much better... my bike took the post clean off at ground level...
Have to agree with you here.....infact u probably still have my RG in your shop (81TUF) and that survived destroying some poor famers fence doing the Kopu. However it didnt survive me keeping it above 9K revs for the 3 years i had it.....hense my mate Hein was the previous owner (and engine rebuilder).

Lou Girardin
18th April 2005, 10:33
The only other traffic radar system in use is Ku band used in some Euro countries.
Don't believe cop disinformation, most of them don't even know how microwave speed detection works. This is almost certainly a Stalker DSR with front and rear antennas fitted and used in instant-on mode.
Just ask them about the doppler principle.

scumdog
18th April 2005, 10:54
Just ask them about the doppler principle.

Is that like a German High School Principal? Did he invent radar? :confused:

Big Dave
18th April 2005, 11:05
Is that like a German High School Principal? Did he invent radar? :confused:

The standard example of the doppler effect is how siren sounds different when the vehicle carrying it is coming towards you, then the sound changes as it passes and travels away from you - The sound waves (frequency) are reaching you at plus, then minus the speed of the vehicle and it causes a different sound.

scumdog
18th April 2005, 11:14
The standard example of the doppler effect is how siren sounds different when the vehicle carrying it is coming towards you, then the sound changes as it passes and travels away from you - The sound waves (frequency) are reaching you at plus, then minus the speed of the vehicle and it causes a different sound.

Ahh, Big Dave, I ah, forgot to put PT on my previous thread..... :whistle:

ManDownUnder
18th April 2005, 12:30
as a purely hypothetical question for you technical geniuses (geneii?) out there...

Would it be possible to receive an incoming signal, amplify it (.. just enough...) and return it to it's point of original? I'm guessing there would also need to be an amp of sorts on the receiving array... and um... well - any chance of making that lovely "fried electronics" smell?

... not that I'd ever suggest it be done of course... :whistle:

MDU

Lou Girardin
18th April 2005, 12:49
[QUOTE=scumdog]Is that like a German High School Principal? Did he invent radar? :confused:[/QUOT

You're thinking of the toppler syndrome, usually caused by that fatal extra drink.
As in, 1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila.......floor.

Lou Girardin
18th April 2005, 12:52
as a purely hypothetical question for you technical geniuses (geneii?) out there...

Would it be possible to receive an incoming signal, amplify it (.. just enough...) and return it to it's point of original? I'm guessing there would also need to be an amp of sorts on the receiving array... and um... well - any chance of making that lovely "fried electronics" smell?

... not that I'd ever suggest it be done of course... :whistle:

MDU

Not quite. Ka band is difficult to jam, but some better brains than mine are working on it.
The problem is getting appropriate gunn amplifiers I believe.

ManDownUnder
18th April 2005, 12:57
[QUOTE=scumdog]Is that like a German High School Principal? Did he invent radar? :confused:[/QUOT

You're thinking of the toppler syndrome, usually caused by that fatal extra drink.
As in, 1 tequila, 2 tequila, 3 tequila.......floor.

yeah - not good... I remember as a kid suitting on a chair when I got this kinda faint thump on the side of my head (like wearing a helmet and sombody gently hits it with an open hand or something).

Turns out I'd done exactly that... side of head on the floor... coz the whole world had done a 90 degree left turn and the ceiling was now to my left...

Confused me for a bit there - but then I worked it out... and all my friends (who were also left right oriented, instead of up down) laughed... oh how they laughed....

scumdog
18th April 2005, 13:05
Not quite. Ka band is difficult to jam, but some better brains than mine are working on it.
The problem is getting appropriate gunn amplifiers I believe.

'Course you COULD always do the cheaper and unthinkable thing like slowing down a bit? :confused:

Lou Girardin
18th April 2005, 14:20
'Course you COULD always do the cheaper and unthinkable thing like slowing down a bit? :confused:

I have, dramatically, from a few years ago. But I still have enough of the hoon left in me that I'll continue to play the game.
Something's working in my favour though, I don't get many tickets. (It works out to about one every 5 - 7 years. Since I lost immunity)
PS. Now I've done it, my karma'll be out to get me.

Big Dave
18th April 2005, 15:28
Ahh, Big Dave, I ah, forgot to put PT on my previous thread..... :whistle:

i probably wouldn't have remembered anyway. the doppleganger effect - now that i've mentioned it twice.

Lou Girardin
18th April 2005, 16:44
i probably wouldn't have remembered anyway. the doppleganger effect - now that i've mentioned it twice.

Doppleganger? Is that a bunch of cops?
Or is it a coven of cops?
Or a cache (catch) of cops.
Or a pluck of Police.

HDTboy
18th April 2005, 17:53
pluck the police?

We fit blinders to some cars at work, they just jam the signal, and i believe they can be fitted to bikes as well.

Thanks for the heads up though, had an awesome ride up on saturday and didn't see any coppers

sAsLEX
18th April 2005, 18:27
pluck the police?

We fit blinders to some cars at work, they just jam the signal, and i believe they can be fitted to bikes as well.

Thanks for the heads up though, had an awesome ride up on saturday and didn't see any coppers

thought that blinders only work on laser at the moment!?!

HDTboy
18th April 2005, 19:14
it appears you are correct,
http://www.jammersstore.com/p_blinder.htm

this would explain why these people also buy a valentine

there seems to be radar jammers as well though, maybe more research is required

http://www.scorpionjammers.com/main.htm

marmel
18th April 2005, 19:27
I think I have the solution........Write a really nice letter to the US airforce and ask them if you can buy some of that special paint that they use on the stealth bombers. We could all chip in for a group buy and get a 20 litre pale. Shouldn't cost more than $10-$20,000 per member if we got like 100 involved. Coat the front fairings and maybe your helmet as well for those with sport bikes and you will suddenly become invisible. Only problem is that you have to really like dark grey
:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

sAsLEX
18th April 2005, 20:50
I think I have the solution........Write a really nice letter to the US airforce and ask them if you can buy some of that special paint that they use on the stealth bombers. We could all chip in for a group buy and get a 20 litre pale. Shouldn't cost more than $10-$20,000 per member if we got like 100 involved. Coat the front fairings and maybe your helmet as well for those with sport bikes and you will suddenly become invisible. Only problem is that you have to really like dark grey
:2thumbsup :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

and that this works in conjunction with nicely shaped things so only work on certain bikes if any and they would still aim for your visor or head light with laser!?!

Lou Girardin
18th April 2005, 20:53
and that this works in conjunction with nicely shaped things so only work on certain bikes if any and they would still aim for your visor or head light with laser!?!

This will make Aprilia Futuras more popular. definitely a stealth design.

Mr Skid
18th April 2005, 22:45
this works in conjunction with nicely shaped thingsI guess this rules out Suzukis..

saiko
18th April 2005, 22:48
I guess this rules out Suzukis..

Oohhh - steady on