PDA

View Full Version : Had a chat with big John

cowpatz
16th October 2009, 15:30
Thanks very much to whoever moved my post(s) and placed it in obscurity.

Today I managed to chat with john Key whilst he opened up the local info centre here in Kumeu.
2 of us showed up dressed in bike leathers (the locals were braced for trouble :)). He listened to our arguments and incredibly he was not aware of the degree of ACC increase we were facing.
He is actually quite sympathetic to our plight. He was aware of the fact that farm bikes and dirt bike casualties were included in the statistics and that this needed to be clarified. He said that it is not a done deal and that more work had to be done. I also managed to get across many points that have been raised here in the forums and he was grateful for that. It was a very well spent 5 minutes. At least it was a start and he did not just dismiss it out of hand.

We need to collectively apply pressure but in a disciplined and reasoned fashion.

Fluffy Cat
16th October 2009, 15:38
Cheers dude.

sidwyz
16th October 2009, 15:39
Good man!!

Now to find his schedule so we can follow him around and repeat our case!!

NighthawkNZ
16th October 2009, 15:41
:clap::clap::clap:

steve_t
16th October 2009, 15:43
Nice work Cowpatz

slofox
16th October 2009, 15:45
Well done. More of the same eh?

steelestring
16th October 2009, 15:49
sweet man.. good job:2thumbsup

Mully
16th October 2009, 15:55
Good on ya.

I agree we should make our case like grown-ups if we want to be taken seriously.

Owl
16th October 2009, 15:58
Bloody good work cowpatz!:2thumbsup

gwigs
16th October 2009, 15:59
Nice one Cowpatz, I just rode up to Jonathon Colemans office (north harbour)
and delivered my letter of protest.....All you Shore Bikers should do the same..

ready4whatever
16th October 2009, 16:02
good on ya. just remember john key always nods his head in agreement, whether he does anything about it is the question

MSTRS
16th October 2009, 16:07
Good on you for fronting JK.
Now...
He will be well aware of the rate/s proposed, or at least the magnitude of the increase/s, but he is first and foremost a polly, so he is not going to argue/defend/discuss (any subject) in that situation.
I'm sorry to be a 'little ray of sunshine', but all MPs etc when faced personally are going to duck by saying they weren't aware etc, and they will look into it.
It's only going to make a difference if there is big publicity, meaning set up some sort of scene that the media will be interested in.
The BIKEOI is a good example. Or get a reporter to attend when fronting an MP at their offices and have a number of bikes there too. That sort of thing.

2wheeldrifter
16th October 2009, 16:14

I remember it... and I found it!!! http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=109878&page=60 post 897!

Good stuff dude, that's good work! :clap::clap::clap:

super bling man!

Ender EnZed
16th October 2009, 16:35
incredibly he was not aware of the degree of ACC increase we were facing.

He was lying.:confused:

Good work even so, a personal approach is worth a lot more than an email and every little bit helps. Bling added.

gwigs
16th October 2009, 16:40
He was lying.:confused:

Good work even so, a personal approach is worth a lot more than an email and every little bit helps. Bling added.

You can always tell when a politician is lying....... their lips are moving.

Sanx
16th October 2009, 16:51

I thought it was if they had a pulse.

2wheeldrifter
16th October 2009, 16:57
I thought it was if they had a pulse.

Yes it's the one's with a pulse that you have too watch... not so obvious as the "lip moving" politician.

StoneY
16th October 2009, 16:59
Today I managed to chat with john Key whilst he opened up the local info centre here in Kumeu.
incredibly he was not aware of the degree of ACC increase we were facing.

As a person who WORKED for the Government, and reported directly to senior ministers not very long ago , if you believe he was NOT aware of what the ACC minister was going to announce on NATIONAL TV last night you need to wake up and smell the BULLSHIT

Of COURSE he fuckin knew

NO minister makes ANY public announcement of such a pending change to legislation without the 'leaders' consent

You swallowed his PR bullshit hook line and sinker

Genie
16th October 2009, 17:01

...and not just limited to politicians

MyGSXF
16th October 2009, 17:06
Top effort CP!! :clap:

Papa Bear
16th October 2009, 17:06
Well done and thanks for having a chat to big John, big bad John. :clap:

I sent an email to MP wanker Clayton Cosgrove late last night, asking why he is not saying anything on this as he seems to always have something to say..... usally about nothing, anyway I had a call from his office today and they emailed me a press release that Hon Rick Barker had released.............

Government moves will prejudice motorcyclists

Most bikers will see the Government's plans to hike up motorcycle levies
as irrefutable proof of the prejudice in the system against
motorcyclists, says Labour MP Rick Barker.

"The decision, announced by ACC Minister Nick Smith yesterday, is
arbitrary on a number of fronts.

"The cut-off points in terms of cc ratings don't take into account the
relative power of motorcycles," says Rick Barker.

"It is incompetent to treat a vintage 650cc motorcycle, which wheezes
and gasps down the road as more dangerous than a 250cc modern bike
capable of doing more than 200kph.

"The proposed changes also ignore the fact that many motorcyclists own
multiple bikes. I have friends who own up to seven bikes, each for
different purposes: off-road, trail, touring and collectables - and they
could end up paying about $5000 just to ride their bikes. They can only
ride one at a time.

"They will probably have to go the bank manager to ride their bikes, if
Nick Smith has his way, to try to afford to pay the levies," Rick Barker
says.

"The decision undermines the no-fault aspect of the ACC Scheme,
particularly when most motorcycle accidents are caused by cars.

"How is it fair that a motorcyclist is knocked off their bike by a car
and then charged much higher levies for the experience? This means the
victim pays.

"Motorcyclists are of the view that there should be no distinction
between them and car users," Rick Barker says.

"This plan is to simply drive bikes off the road, despite the fact they
are more environmentally friendly than cars and help to reduce carbon
emissions.

"Surely the solution is not encouraging the use of three-tonne four
wheel drive planet-thrashers?"

....... At lest we do have a few MP's around that ride bikes themselves, that got to help in this crap not going ahead.

dmc
16th October 2009, 17:22
I have heard nothing for Cosgrove either, atleast Key's office emailed to say that they have sent it to Nick Smith as its his department.

GOONR
16th October 2009, 17:37
Just got this reply back....

On behalf of the Prime Minister, Hon John Key, I acknowledge your email concerning proposed changes to ACC.

The issue you have raised falls within the portfolio responsibility of the Minister for ACC. I note you have also copied your letter to the Minister and you will receive a reply from the Minister in due course.

Thank you for writing to Mr Key to share your concerns.

Regards,
Briane Smith
Private Secretary, Office of the Prime Minister

StoneY
16th October 2009, 17:42
Just got this reply back....

On behalf of the Prime Minister, Hon John Key, I acknowledge your email concerning proposed changes to ACC.

The issue you have raised falls within the portfolio responsibility of the Minister for ACC. I note you have also copied your letter to the Minister and you will receive a reply from the Minister in due course.

Thank you for writing to Mr Key to share your concerns.

Regards,
Briane Smith
Private Secretary, Office of the Prime Minister

And that's how it works, they claim the 'secretary' never brought it to thier attention

BUT good on JK's PA for replying to ya dude

Its the worker bees who shield the flak while mr 250k a year PM gets to plead 'no one told ME'

Good Tui ad this thread, truly is they should sponsor the site now!

sinfull
16th October 2009, 17:46
Still recon ya should have taken my slingshot !!!

Mom
16th October 2009, 17:47
2 of us showed up dressed in bike leathers (the locals were braced for trouble :)). He listened to our arguments and incredibly he was not aware of the degree of ACC increase we were facing.
He is actually quite sympathetic to our plight. We need to collectively apply pressure but in a disciplined and reasoned fashion.

You think the Prime Minister was not briefed about this? Of course he knew! He just was totally unprepared for some flithy, dirty, biker scum :love: to tackle him first day out, nor in person :clap:

He may not know the detail, but I promise you he knew about it. He is consumate polly.

Top effort that man, first in first served :yes:

Pixie
16th October 2009, 17:48

I sent an email to MP wanker Clayton Cosgrove late last night, asking why he is not saying anything on this as he seems to always have something to say..... usally about nothing, anyway I had a call from his office today and they emailed me a press release that Hon Rick Barker had released.............

motorcyclists, says Labour MP Rick Barker.

"The decision, announced by ACC Minister Nick Smith yesterday, is
arbitrary on a number of fronts.

"The cut-off points in terms of cc ratings don't take into account the
relative power of motorcycles," says Rick Barker.

"It is incompetent to treat a vintage 650cc motorcycle, which wheezes
and gasps down the road as more dangerous than a 250cc modern bike
capable of doing more than 200kph.

"The proposed changes also ignore the fact that many motorcyclists own
multiple bikes. I have friends who own up to seven bikes, each for
different purposes: off-road, trail, touring and collectables - and they
could end up paying about $5000 just to ride their bikes. They can only
ride one at a time.

"They will probably have to go the bank manager to ride their bikes, if
Nick Smith has his way, to try to afford to pay the levies," Rick Barker
says.

"The decision undermines the no-fault aspect of the ACC Scheme,
particularly when most motorcycle accidents are caused by cars.

"How is it fair that a motorcyclist is knocked off their bike by a car
and then charged much higher levies for the experience? This means the
victim pays.

"Motorcyclists are of the view that there should be no distinction
between them and car users," Rick Barker says.

"This plan is to simply drive bikes off the road, despite the fact they
are more environmentally friendly than cars and help to reduce carbon
emissions.

"Surely the solution is not encouraging the use of three-tonne four
wheel drive planet-thrashers?"

....... At lest we do have a few MP's around that ride bikes themselves, that got to help in this crap not going ahead.

That Barker sounds like he's got a brain in his head
I wonder why he's a pinko?

Pixie
16th October 2009, 17:49

motorcyclists, says Labour MP Rick Barker........

That Barker sounds like he's got a brain in his head
I wonder why he's a pinko?

ready4whatever
16th October 2009, 17:51
Stoneys right he sure would of known about it.
this whole countries fuct with the leaders it has. in 18 years time clayton weatherston will get out of jail to become prime minister

cowpatz
16th October 2009, 18:10
Maybe I should clarify.
He was aware of ACC changes but he was not aware of the magnitude of the levy increase. To respond with "ouch" is not a typical politicians response.
This was one of the responses he gave when I informed him of the cost increase I was facing. Your'e right he is a politician and I am not that naive to think that it means much at all. However it is keeping the issue alive in his mind and making him aware that all is not happy in New Nat land.

Coldrider
16th October 2009, 18:15
Maybe I should clarify.
He was aware of ACC changes but he was not aware of the magnitude of the levy increase. To respond with "ouch" is not a typical politicians response.
This was one of the responses he gave when I informed him of the cost increase I was facing. Your'e right he is a politician and I am not that naive to think that it means much at all. However it is keeping the issue alive in his mind and making him aware that all is not happy in New Nat land.
No one intercepts an incoming missile quicker than a politician, but the human interaction softens them in the face of the numbers. Goodjob cowpatz.

StoneY
16th October 2009, 18:17
On ya for trying CP and I get it that its hard to be 'bolshy' if the guys agreeing with you to your face and making the sympathy noises.

BRO, he KNEW every godamn detail, before it went to press. No minister goes to a press conference without his party leader knowing exactly what is being presented
GUARANTEED!!

I have walked those corridors mate I know the SOP they apply, but on ya for representing bro- truly, bling and kudos to you my man

Back at the pre election, I bailed him up outside Greenock House on the Terrace and asked if we were getting the Tax Cuts, was that a solid PROMISE, he shook my hand and said (trying to be cool) no shit, 'WORD'

He said the current cool slang for 'my word' and where the fucks MY tax cut?
(and yours too)

2wheeldrifter
16th October 2009, 18:19
The main point was cowpatz was in his face about! maybe you should have throwin cowpatz cowpatz lol

Coldrider
16th October 2009, 18:22
Rick Barker is a biker.
National cannot get the numbers, in negotiations with ACT & The Moari Party.
ACT want the whole ACC bubble opened up (to privatise of course).
However ACT forestalling isn't necessarily in our favour, just forestalling for their agenda.

CookMySock
16th October 2009, 18:27
(insert random person) always nods his head in agreementThat is a common error.

Nodding ones' head while someone else is speaking is called a "minimal encourager." It is intended to facilitate the speaker. It is nothing to do with agreeing or disagreeing.

Steve

dpex
16th October 2009, 18:27

He is actually quite sympathetic to our plight. He was aware of the fact that farm bikes and dirt bike casualties were included in the statistics and that this needed to be clarified. He said that it is not a done deal and that more work had to be done. I also managed to get across many points that have been raised here in the forums and he was grateful for that. It was a very well spent 5 minutes. At least it was a start and he did not just dismiss it out of hand.

We need to collectively apply pressure but in a disciplined and reasoned fashion.

Are you seriously suggesting that Key's minions just go about their business with consulting the 'big' man?

Let's say they do. Are you seriously suggesting Key doesn't come into contact with 'any' source of news?

Jesus, this shit has been all over the papers, TV and talk-back for days.

For Key to assert he was 'unaware' is simply fatuous. That means ridiculous.

But that you got in there and made a statement puts you way ahead of me. All I've done so far is bleat.

Bloody good on yer!

Time for me to get active.

Stan
16th October 2009, 18:49
Well done Cowpatz. I think its a good idea to go after Key about this because he's pretty good at backing down on stuff when it looks like its unpopular. He just wants everyone to like him. I don't think we'd ever get Nick Smith to back down but John Key is really good at it.

Be a good idea to find out where Key is appearing and make sure there are a few motorcyclists there asking awkward questions.

GOONR
16th October 2009, 18:56
And that's how it works, they claim the 'secretary' never brought it to thier attention

BUT good on JK's PA for replying to ya dude

Its the worker bees who shield the flak while mr 250k a year PM gets to plead 'no one told ME'

Good Tui ad this thread, truly is they should sponsor the site now!

Yeah, I bet his PA has had a few shite day's and JK would have known cause his PA ain't got time do anything else... Too busy answering emails. :banana:

NewRob
16th October 2009, 19:11
Good work :clap:

Molly
16th October 2009, 19:15

Thanks for doing that. Agree with the above by the way. It'll only take a few pricks doing burnouts or shouting their mouths off to make us all look like we deserve to be shafted.

Skyryder
16th October 2009, 19:46

It's good start. And thankyou for taking our concerns to the Prime Minister.

I think BRONZE would be advised to take this course of action prior to any other.

Skyryder

Coldrider
16th October 2009, 19:58
The human face to face that counts.

sinfull
16th October 2009, 22:22
Did you see Key on the news saying, awww crikey that Rodney hyde has some good ideas, yes we will think about opening ACC up to privatisation (competition) !
And you still think we can stop this by talking !!
How far is he up the Maori parties arse, awww wait, could it be that he gave in on the .... What was that he gave them not just a day or so ago ? Crikey He gave Maori TV the world cup !!!
Obvious he has Acts vote, where is he with the Maori party ?
Last nights parliment sitting was just a handshake come piss up !!
The legislation allowing them to change the ACC levies will pass !
I'm packing my slingshot !!!

I say once more Bulls, See ya's on the bridge on labour monday Arvo at 4pm !
Have ya banner saying " No to ACC Levy hikes, No to privatisation, or, Hello Americanisation !!!
T shirts and banners welcome !
I will see all you other Davids there, i'll bring My slingshot !!!

Fatt Max
17th October 2009, 14:37
Well done mate for sticking yourself out there and getting some words with the man.

I saw him at the Diwali festival last week and he was ushered through the crowds very quickly by police, so to get 5 minutes is a great result...onya mate