PDA

View Full Version : The $1300 speeding ticket...

N4CR
17th April 2005, 11:52
Oh great! Mr piggy had a feild day on me:
On my way to gym....
90Kmh in an urban zone (8:00am sunday (this morning) big hill and no cars :confused: ) $500
Breaching Learner conditions (over 70) $400

And the bastard even got me for no L plate :angry2: $400
gazzliion demerits too.

He then proceeded to tell me I should get my Restricted as soon as possible (yay 4 months) and get a radar detector. He said he had a ZX6R at home :ar15: :Police: smartass.

My stupidity.. only had the bike for 5 weeks now, suppose he is just doing his job but yeah 1.3k of fine and I was being nice to him too..... ARRRRGHHGGH!

Sadly I know how it feels for you people (ay PYROCAM ;) )
Anyway... I shall just go drown my sorrows with whats left of my vodka :drinknsin

Sniper
17th April 2005, 11:54
Damn mate, teaches you not to do that again

John
17th April 2005, 11:55
The funnest part is the text he sent me that woke me up, I could have sworn he was screwing with me..

'Dude 1.3k of fines, I need some councilling'

I couldnt suggest anything to him, I could have sworn the only ping you for one thing at a time but guess not :(.

N4CR
17th April 2005, 12:01
Yeah I screwed up and its my fault and I shouldnt have done that. Hopefully I can still keep my liscence though.

John
17th April 2005, 12:06
Yeah I screwed up and its my fault and I shouldnt have done that. Hopefully I can still keep my liscence though.
Try get out of the ticket because they didnt enter the correct amount of demerit points hahaaha...

:lol:

Pixie
17th April 2005, 12:21
He then proceeded to tell me I should get my Restricted as soon as possible (yay 4 months) and get a radar detector. He said he had a ZX6R at home :ar15: :Police: smartass.

The officer is what is commonly known as a PRICK.You should take it to court and at the hearing casually mentioned the Officer Prick recommended that you get a radar detector.
Of course he never exceeds 100 on his ZX6R-yeah right!
Maybe he'll fall off and some one will run over his head :banana:

John
17th April 2005, 12:24
The officer is what is commonly known as a PRICK.You should take it to court and at the hearing casually mentioned the Officer Prick recommended that you get a radar detector.
Of course he never exceeds 100 on his ZX6R-yeah right!
Maybe he'll fall off and some one will run over his head :banana:
I second the motion!

Ixion has the idea!
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=216471&postcount=22

Get out of that 70k Breach :angry2:

John
17th April 2005, 12:55
Ok, Told tristan to ask why he got done for the 90k and 70k - I suggested he write a letter.
But also told him that he should also talk to a free lawyer first as he would have a better way to help him put the letter together, that way he might be able to get out of the entire ticket as they incorrectly fined him.

Is this possible?

also how do you get in contact with those lawyers, is it through the local Information booth or court I cant remeber I got one through the Information booth in dargaville but thats abit different?

marty
17th April 2005, 14:07
they are 2 separate offences, that's why. one is a breach of conditions, the other a speed limit. it doesn't matter how much you exceed 70k by, it's just a breach.

yeah - you should defend it. you'll probably win.

and how did they incorrectly fine him?

oh yeah top effort for the 100 demerits in 1 hit too. butta bing!

Al
17th April 2005, 14:31
What a bummer! Only thing I can say about this is "SHIT HAPPENS"

Al

campbellluke
17th April 2005, 14:34
Tis a shame. With that 1300 dollars , you could have got a really good radar laser setup.

Bad luck

Coyote
17th April 2005, 14:42
Shit, I thought $80 was too much

Now $1300, that's price gauging. How can the govenment get away with that?

I reckon there should be something done about the government

Better not say anymore, or the special services might try and find me

FlyingDutchMan
17th April 2005, 16:08
This may or may not work, but every where where I've seen the 70km/h rule, its stated like:
"You must not go faster than 70km/h on the open road." Have a look at the LTSA website http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/licensing/motorcycle/motorcycle-learner.html

Now what does open road mean? Well I haven't found any definition on the LTSA website... but everytime they refer to it, they're talking about the open road speed limit (100km/h). Now since you weren't in a 100km/h area, it seems that you weren't in an open road speed limit area, so can't have been on the open road (thats the only tenous link here), so therefore that 70km/h limit doesn't apply.

But in saying that, what you really need to back you up need the legal definition of:
1. open road
2. The motorcycle learner rule.

Who knows? If it works the I'm thinking, you can drop $400 off it straight away.

Hitcher
17th April 2005, 16:35
There's another $1,600 fine that applies for using that ghey lame Americanism "ass" instead of the purer and more regal "arse". You're lucky the cop that stopped you wasn't a member of the BDOTGNZA.

Gen
17th April 2005, 16:40
Ok, Told tristan to ask why he got done for the 90k and 70k - I suggested he write a letter.
But also told him that he should also talk to a free lawyer first as he would have a better way to help him put the letter together, that way he might be able to get out of the entire ticket as they incorrectly fined him.

Is this possible?

also how do you get in contact with those lawyers, is it through the local Information booth or court I cant remeber I got one through the Information booth in dargaville but thats abit different?

Citizens Advice Buerau used to have lawyers that will consult with you for free, don't know if they still do now though.
Worth getting in contact with them, they can be very useful for legal matters etc.

inlinefour
17th April 2005, 17:43
Its all about I can say on this one...

N4CR
17th April 2005, 17:45
Thats what I'm doing tomorrow.... getting in contact with a lawyer. pyrocam did not get the 70kmh breach on his and other people with similar speeds did not so HOPEFULLY I can get away with being mis-ticketed.. or atleast knock off $400.

From what I have heard even though there are seperate offences, I still can only get a maximum of 50 demerits in one session (i think two smoker said that..) or mabey the rule has changed... dunno. :confused:

Hopefully all ends up well and when I get a scanner to use I shall post the gem on the net :D

Da Bird
17th April 2005, 18:32
Thats what I'm doing tomorrow.... getting in contact with a lawyer. pyrocam did not get the 70kmh breach on his and other people with similar speeds did not so HOPEFULLY I can get away with being mis-ticketed.. or atleast knock off $400.

From what I have heard even though there are seperate offences, I still can only get a maximum of 50 demerits in one session (i think two smoker said that..) or mabey the rule has changed... dunno. :confused:

Hopefully all ends up well and when I get a scanner to use I shall post the gem on the net :D

Yes, I'm pretty sure if you have a speeding offence on the same ticket as licence breaches, you only get the demerits attached to the speeding offence against your licence, not the other ones.

BC.

Two Smoker
17th April 2005, 19:03
Yes, I'm pretty sure if you have a speeding offence on the same ticket as licence breaches, you only get the demerits attached to the speeding offence against your licence, not the other ones.

BC.

Yep, looks that way... oh an i fucked up before, its $400 and 25 demerits per breeching offence of licence...

But as BC said, you should be disputing that you got a ticket for 91kmh in a 50 zone ($510) and then get ANOTHER ticket for speeding saying that you were exceeding the 70kmh speed limit.. So hopefully you can knock off $400 and 25 demerits..

John
17th April 2005, 19:17
Yep, looks that way... oh an i fucked up before, its $400 and 25 demerits per breeching offence of licence...

But as BC said, you should be disputing that you got a ticket for 91kmh in a 50 zone ($510) and then get ANOTHER ticket for speeding saying that you were exceeding the 70kmh speed limit.. So hopefully you can knock off $400 and 25 demerits..
thats good I thought I was going batty :lol:.

SuperDave
17th April 2005, 19:39
I thought when you breach the restrictions of your licence then you can only get a $400 fine, not $400 for each breach? I know this cause a mate got snapped speeding on restricted (car) plus carrying passengers after curfew - he only got fined $400 for the breaches even though they amounted to two, and then the speeding fine on top of that.

WINJA
17th April 2005, 20:05
I COULD BE WRONG BUT I THOUGHT YOU COULDNT LOSE YOUR LICENCE IN ONE GO AS YOU HAVE TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN YOU GET TO A CERTAIN AMOUNT. IE WHEN YOU GET TO 80 DEMERIT POINTS A NOTIFICATION MUST BE ISSUED.
I WOULD LIKE TO ADD I DONT AGREE WITH YOUR SPEED OF 90K IN A 50K IF THATS WHAT YOU WERE DOING, PERSONALLY I GO REAL SLOW IN 50K AREAS UNLESS IM DOING A RUNNER BUT THATS A DIFFERENT STORY

Indoo
17th April 2005, 20:32
While you were an idiot for going at those speeds while being inexperienced, breaking a number of laws etc, at least you admit it.

What the cop did though was whats called double dipping and you would have a reasonable defense against it imo. ie your gettin pinged for the same/similar offence twice.

I don't really understand the mentality behind ticketing a decent sound of guy like you to such an extent. fining you that much doesn't really do anything aside from puttin you in debt.

2 schmoke
17th April 2005, 20:37
last year i got a $1050 fine in a car. most of my savings down the drain.

This year, i went for a ride on my recently purchased, un rego'd un warranted rg 150 with no license..i got caught doing what the policeman reckons was well over 70k in a residential zone.AND HE LET ME OFF!!! Just proves theyre not all bad!

Teflon
17th April 2005, 21:15
They will hit you hard because of you're age and learner licence.

Good luck.

c4.
17th April 2005, 21:17
Just this b'tard

Hitcher
17th April 2005, 21:18
They will hit you hard because of you're age and learner licence.

Good luck.
Your age. You're is a contraction of you are...

Ixion
17th April 2005, 21:20

Actually, thine age . Join the campaign to reintroduce the second person singular.

chickenfunkstar
17th April 2005, 21:21
Whoa, thats a stinger of a fine!

Even if you do get the fine for breeching licence (i.e. over 70kph) as well as the fine for speeding you might still be able to get it reduced.

A while ago one of my friends got a $1200 fine. IIRC it was comprised of $400 riding after 10pm, $400 for no L plates and a $400 ticket for going 140.

He managed to get it reduced to $800 after writing a letter which basically said that he'd learn't his lesson, didn't have a lot of money and that a $1200 fine wasn't a reasonable fine under the circumstances.

Hitcher
17th April 2005, 21:23
Actually, thy age . Join the campaign to reintroduce the second person singular.
Verily thou shouldst not liberate worms from receptacles unopened. One has enough problems with the apostrophe and the arse... Forsooth!

Teflon
17th April 2005, 21:31

To be honest i don't really care.

If it makes you feel better that you need to pick on peoples poor grammer and english, then i feel sorry for you.

Remember this is a motorcycle forum.

marty
17th April 2005, 21:42
Verily thou shouldst not liberate worms from receptacles unopened. One has enough problems with the apostrophe and the arse... Forsooth!

so tell me, why do i ride past a car, but the car passed me?

or even, I passed the car that passed me in the past minute??

Ixion
17th April 2005, 21:45

Oh dear. Now you've started something that you may end up regretting [goes off to find copy of Fowler]

marty
17th April 2005, 21:54
as i passed through the past in my time machine, i passed past the past, until i wind the wind maker up, and he makes it too windy for me to ride my bike on the windy road.......

SPman
17th April 2005, 22:10
.. IE WHEN YOU GET TO 80 DEMERIT POINTS A NOTIFICATION MUST BE ISSUED.

Probably over 50points. I just got a facetious, attempted heart wringing, double A4 with picture, "Tanya was killed by a speeding driver, if you're prepared to speed be prepared to kill", bullshit, propagandist, warning notice, for 55pts !
I dont mind the warning, but puleeze, leave out the fucking propagandist bullshit!!!

StoneChucker
17th April 2005, 23:32
Probably over 50points. I just got a facetious, attempted heart wringing, double A4 with picture, "Tanya was killed by a speeding driver, if you're prepared to speed be prepared to kill", bullshit, propagandist, warning notice, for 55pts !
I dont mind the warning, but puleeze, leave out the fucking propagandist bullshit!!!

Too bloody right, that's pathetic! And, while legally you were breaking the law blah blah, that fine is freaking ludicrous......... And you wonder why SOME people do a runner??? Fuck, having a go at getting off $1200 fines is a pretty good incentive.

Disclaimer: I've never done a runner, partly because I don't trust my riding skill... and partly because it's kinda wrong :whistle:

N4CR
17th April 2005, 23:47
Yes.... I considered that - noone on the roads to maim and kill as it was early sunday morning... I know all the roads and turnoffs and hideyholes but in the end I realised I'm a noob on a 250 just waiting to kill myself/someone else and pulled over promptly.

I'm going to send in a letter explaining and asking if I can get off the 70kmh charge with the dual ticketing thingy, (Citizens advice buearau (sp) free lawers and advice etc) I can use all my savings to pay a 1.3k fine, but I would not be able to go without a bike (in terms of demerits if they ad up to 100). The officer did not impound my bike on the spot (100 is automatic loss of liscence right.....) so I dont 'think' I have got 100 worth. Or mabey I have 28 days of freedom... :sick:

StoneChucker
18th April 2005, 00:05
Yes.... I considered that - noone on the roads to maim and kill as it was early sunday morning... I know all the roads and turnoffs and hideyholes but in the end I realised I'm a noob on a 250 just waiting to kill myself/someone else and pulled over promptly.

I'm going to send in a letter explaining and asking if I can get off the 70kmh charge with the dual ticketing thingy, (Citizens advice buearau (sp) free lawers and advice etc) I can use all my savings to pay a 1.3k fine, but I would not be able to go without a bike (in terms of demerits if they ad up to 100). The officer did not impound my bike on the spot (100 is automatic loss of liscence right.....) so I dont 'think' I have got 100 worth. Or mabey I have 28 days of freedom... :sick:
You made the right choice, it's sickening that you have to pay so dearly for it though (Even though you were speeding...). I sincerely hope you get a little reprieve on that fine, but I also hope you watch you speed in future. None of the people I ride with ride at 90 in a 50. Having said that even, there are the ODD occasions where "shit happens". On a quick bike, a yank on the throttle can have you over 100 in literally a second. I guess it's up to the rider not to yank then. One could go on debating this for ages, so I won't. Good luck with the battle ahead mate. (let us know what transpires)

NotaGoth
18th April 2005, 00:13
doubt it will be 100, 50 though ain't bad so long as you behave for the next two years. *is behaving* :whistle:

Big Dave
18th April 2005, 00:43
Actually, thine age . Join the campaign to reintroduce the second person singular.

Thy request is acknowledged thus...?

FEINT
18th April 2005, 01:05
Sorry to hear about the ticket. You seemed pretty cheery in the afternoon even after such an event. You should post up a picture of the ticket.

I hope you can do something to get off paying.......

Good luck..!

Big Dave
18th April 2005, 01:07
Disclaimer: I've never done a runner, partly because I don't trust my riding skill... and partly because it's kinda wrong :whistle:

I trust my riding skill, just not prepared to wear the heat if it comes unstuck.

Bloke i know casually, we're riding near tokoroa, the blue and reds come on, as they do, and he's off! - the other half a dozen of us in the column just look at each other WTF?!?

They caught him trying to hide behind a parked bus.

If he had stayed cool, one of us would have got a $120 dollar'er, he would have copped a smack for riding while suspended (comparatively minor in the way things worked out) and a shout at the pub later.

But now he has a whole world of pain, solicitors and handcuffs - sold his bike and has moved up country.

I also know other blokes who tell of narrow escapes in an urban environment in Ghost Riderish terms.

For mine: pull over, licence out, be polite, cop the licks, and fight it due process if you need to. I'm still on a pretty good 'booking to cautioning' ratio - despite a recent 20 pointer.

From what I've seen, the odds of a more painful conclusion the other way don't add up.

ahhh - i'm getting soft in my old age, next i'll be on about why we need bikes that do 300kph anyway.

750Y
18th April 2005, 06:59
ouch! that's gotta hurt mate.

Sniper
18th April 2005, 08:42
To be honest i don't really care.

If it makes you feel better that you need to pick on peoples poor grammer and english, then i feel sorry for you.

Remember this is a motorcycle forum.

Relax

I find Hitchers grammer corrections amusing as does everyone else, its one of those harmless funs that we have every now and again

pyrocam
18th April 2005, 08:44
Whoops Im a little slow to jump on this thread.

Sorry to hear you got so much more than I did when you were only doing 2kph more than me.

Ive found its just so easy to whip up the left lane and then hop back into traffic before the parked cars, (If anyone knows New North Road between the Pack-n-slave and the BP I got busted right before the intersection. not 500m from my house :angry2: ) BUT not anymore. Im scared shitless of getting another 50 demerits.

I think I might go fit my L plate on now. Ive got a spare if anyone wants one.

*edit Tristank. sounds like you did the same as me (vodka :) ). we should go drown our sorrows at the local sometime.

Lou Girardin
18th April 2005, 09:04
It's called the shotgun approach and means his hours quota was filled in one stop.
$1300 for chicken shit offences is just plain sickening.
However, the 70km/h limit for learners is absolute, nothing to do with open road or not.
Get a lawyer. It'll be worth a $100 or so to try and get the fines reduced.

scumdog
18th April 2005, 09:36
Relax

I find Hitchers grammer corrections amusing as does everyone else, its one of those harmless funs that we have every now and again

And you might actually learn some grammar and proper spelling!! :niceone:

Flyingpony
18th April 2005, 11:28
Given this anytime anywhere stuff, that's why I never break the posted speed limit and if I'm unsure of the zone, I always default to a 50km zone speed just to be safe.

When approaching a higher speed zone, I never speed up till after the sign, and likewise when approaching a lower speed zone, I slow down before the sign.

No speeding tickets to-date with my bike or car.

N4CR
18th April 2005, 14:39
It's called the shotgun approach and means his hours quota was filled in one stop.
$1300 for chicken shit offences is just plain sickening.
However, the 70km/h limit for learners is absolute, nothing to do with open road or not.
Get a lawyer. It'll be worth a $100 or so to try and get the fines reduced.

I rang the police today they said the 70kmh will not be dropped unless its an emergency BUT they said its only 50 demerits in total (the 90kmh offence) (demerits is what I'm mainly worrying about), so now its ALL my savings taking the hit heheheh. :confused:

Yeah I have decided to just pay up and keep the olds out of it (they will kill me if they find out), I know it is alot but I can just manage... just get it out of the way.
I don't have time for legal fluff etc... not much of a battler (sorry guys ;) ) I want to end this now.

Thanks for all you guys support... it has been wonderful and to anyone else in this situation - good luck and battle it hard!

I think I have learned my lesson :whistle: ....

edit: pyrocam pm me if you wanna get on the vodka some time :drinknsin LOL!

XTC
18th April 2005, 14:44

An expensive way to learn it but one that had to be learned :shifty:

Big Dave
18th April 2005, 15:07
I rang the police today they said the 70kmh will not be dropped unless its an emergency BUT they said its only 50 demerits in total (the 90kmh offence) (demerits is what I'm mainly worrying about), so now its ALL my savings taking the hit heheheh. :confused:

Yeah I have decided to just pay up and keep the olds out of it (they will kill me if they find out), I know it is alot but I can just manage... just get it out of the way.
I don't have time for legal fluff etc... not much of a battler (sorry guys ;) ) I want to end this now.

Thanks for all you guys support... it has been wonderful and to anyone else in this situation - good luck and battle it hard!

Nice attitude, good balance. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!
And good work on actually having savings. Keep yer folks out of it unless you can't manage it all yourself - and then pay them back if you have to - cause that's better than letting this shit snowball.
They will respect you more for being up front than they will be down on your 'error'.
If you can handle it all yourself - tell them after you have sorted it anyway. The same will apply.

Sniper
18th April 2005, 15:09
As Big Dave says, nice attitude. And better luck for the future

Sniper

Skunk
18th April 2005, 15:27
Don't speed in 50kph zones. There's too much going on most of the time. Save it for the 'open' open road if you must.

avgas
18th April 2005, 16:20
no L plate and exceeding license condiontions are the same fine - so ask for it to be so. If they do you twice for the same thing, its called harassment apparently.
i still think he went a bit awol for your first offence being over $1K.....must have been collection day, i got hit like that.
As for the grammer correction earlier......
Your being just silly, cos she said to me so........................sorry but it did happen.

Zapf
18th April 2005, 16:33

well. think about it this way....you pay up now. they buy more flash speed detection equipment and more cars and more cops... with YOUR money. And then what is going to happen next time you get pinged?

Oh and the moment you go pay your fine, you will have admitted your libility. There will be no chance of getting your demirit points reduced...

Quote "fueling the cycle"

But for the record, I do believe 90km in a 50 Zone is way too fast....

mikey
2nd July 2005, 22:26
for my dangerous driving, failign to stop, no licence, no rego, no warrant, speeding over 100 in a 50 zone, an failign to stop again,

(couldn do me for having no L plates or riding after 10pm)
cause i had no lincence

i spoke to my granpa an he says back in my day we walked 5 milesto school anwarmed our feet in cow shit,

then said town is goign off what ius anyone doing on kb?

oh an i got off,

Posh Tourer :P
2nd July 2005, 23:36

When you ride past, you are referring to the relative position and direction of travel of the other car. When the car passed you (or you passed the car, necessitating that you ride past it), you are referring to an action of your own or of the other vehicle. Thus, one is descriptive, and one is an action (adjective and verb??).

Posh Tourer :P
2nd July 2005, 23:39
Thy request is acknowledged thus...?

Or perhaps thusly?

Big Dave
3rd July 2005, 01:19
Or perhaps thusly?

indeedy....

scumdog
3rd July 2005, 01:36
84 kph in a 50kph area: $300 dollars

Carried passengers on a learners licence: $400

No WOF : $200

Failed to produce driversl licence $55

Too much Famous Grouse: priceless!!!!

burnzup
3rd July 2005, 10:34
Hi
My sympathy about the tickets! I recently got a ticket for no L plate. $400! I was having trouble with my bike ie new bike, and the idling had changed. The cop didn't even offer to help, or listen when I tried to tell him.

A quick question - does having a ticket (and I guess demerit points) stop you getting a Restricted license? Important question.

Thanks

N4CR
3rd July 2005, 11:02
A quick question - does having a ticket (and I guess demerit points) stop you getting a Restricted license? Important question.
Thanks

Hehehe.. when you are sitting on 50 demerits like me, the CBTA courses are sorta 'shut' if ya get what I mean. You can still do your Restricted etc but no 'shortening'.
Apparently they won't take you on CBTA if you get DM's. I think there are still other courses you can do that lower the 18 month Restricted > Full period.. hopefully.

Hitcher
3rd July 2005, 14:05
for my dangerous driving, failign to stop, no licence, no rego, no warrant, speeding over 100 in a 50 zone, an failign to stop again,

(couldn do me for having no L plates or riding after 10pm)
cause i had no lincence

i spoke to my granpa an he says back in my day we walked 5 milesto school anwarmed our feet in cow shit,

then said town is goign off what ius anyone doing on kb?

oh an i got off,
And this is the same Mikey who spelt "phonetic" properly only two days ago?

mikey
4th July 2005, 10:52

it was the hellllllllcohol,

was a check on kb site before into town sat night,

but yyeah i can spell phonetic, unless your taking the piss,

iull put it on my cv

BNZ
4th July 2005, 13:25
Damn mate, teaches you not to do that again

$100 says it doesnt

Jantar
4th July 2005, 17:31

I'm sure he can fluke it now and then. :whistle: