PDA

View Full Version : Ulysses guys on TV1 news

Beemer
17th October 2009, 17:30
Good on them for speaking up about the ACC levies, and good to hear someone point out the majority of accidents were 250cc (although ACC came back with accidents of higher cc bikes did more damage, etc).

However, the fact the guy at the end then rode off without any gloves on sort of took the shine off the item. Hope he won't be lining up for ACC when he loses a few fingers when he comes off!

Mully
17th October 2009, 18:51
Whoops.

This is why we need to make sure everyone on the Bikois behave themselves. Kinda dilutes the message when someone is an idiot

StoneY
17th October 2009, 18:57
Whoops.

This is why we need to make sure everyone on the Bikois behave themselves. Kinda dilutes the message when someone is an idiot

Agreed

Have to be on best behavior on the Biloi's

Trudes
17th October 2009, 19:05
My thoughts exactly, and the dude on the Ducati on the news the other night also.... GLOVES PEOPLE!!!! We are talking about injuries sustained when falling off your motorcycle and that we are about to be made to pay too much as we're all responsible people who wear lots of cow etc, so if you are going to be photographed or filmed for the media ATGATT, that includes gloves!!!! sheesh

spookytooth
17th October 2009, 19:11
So they didn't have gloves on get over it.I dout any one but a ATGATT fanatic would even notice.

sunhuntin
17th October 2009, 19:26
Agreed

Have to be on best behavior on the Biloi's

ive been trying to decide what to wear on the wellington protest ride. my leather with denim vest, or armoured jacket?
decided to try and compromise, the armour and the denim, but the denim wont do up, and it was mega heavy anyway. so decided to finally wear the armour to the event, then put the denim on once we get there and leave the jacket in the top box. lol.
so much thinking in the interests of image. lol. might even have to try and wear my best boots that dont have holes in em.

Trudes
17th October 2009, 19:29
It's about making a point. If we all turn up to Parliament in shorts, Tshirt and sneekers on our bikes what message do you think that sends to the "general public"/and the people we're trying to get our message across to.
You really should be wearing your best gear all the time. You only get one set of hands, best to protect them straight off the bat.

sunhuntin
17th October 2009, 19:33
damn, so i better look at borrowing a full face helmet then eh? and look at getting some boots that dont have holes that get hooked on the levers. lol.

Trudes
17th October 2009, 19:34
Suppose it depends on how much ACC you want when you fall off.

Pedrostt500
17th October 2009, 19:42
Saw the peice, non bikers would not have noticed, Though they still plug the $77 subsidisation from the car levy, the media and ACC need to be made aware that most of us bikers also own cars as a second vechicle, so hence subsidise ourselves.

sunhuntin
17th October 2009, 19:43
Suppose it depends on how much ACC you want when you fall off.

ive already been hit once wearing less than most and was covered... not that i was overly hurt in the actual accident. the doctors fucked me up more with incorrect diagnoses. no gloves, no jacket, jeans, open face helmet... lol. i got a small nick on my thumb and a scrape on my leg that looked worse than it was. the doctors made the scar tissue on my leg bigger than it needed to be and buggered both knees at the same time by sticking on a cast when it wasnt needed. by the time i got the cast off, the wound on my leg had started to heal over the bandages. :(

note, the borrowed full face helmet will only be used for the protest ride. all for the sake of appearances. after that, will go back to my trusty open facer. :) the boots on the other hand are desperately needed, but only steel caps will do... wont ride without them.

Trudes
17th October 2009, 19:44
Good for you.

Taz
17th October 2009, 19:49
Whoops.

We may not be in this situation if everyone rode like they were on a Bikoi all the time......

FJRider
17th October 2009, 20:16
We may not be in this situation if everyone rode like they were on a Bikoi all the time......

We may not be in this position if those recieving ACC funding, took what they were entitled to.....No more.

And .... a more accurate definition, and recording, of what is currently recorded as a "Motorcycle" accident in ACC statistics.

Perhaps pushing for a fairer way of increasing levies recieved, to include ACC "beneficiaries" that are not paying their way now.

Big Dave
17th October 2009, 20:25
Do you folks iron your petticoats before you go riding?

AD345
17th October 2009, 20:30

Crinoline wrinkles something shocking

Trudes
17th October 2009, 20:33

Only my knickers otherwise they tend to bunch ;)

Big Dave
17th October 2009, 20:37
Only my knickers otherwise they tend to bunch ;)

Ahh. Bunched knickers are common on the Buell groups currently too.

cs363
17th October 2009, 20:50
So I guess my plan for riding in the BIKOI wearing lycra cycling gear (with cycling gloves!) is out then? :whistle:

Pussy
17th October 2009, 20:52
So I guess my plan for riding in the BIKOI wearing lycra cycling gear (with cycling gloves!) is out then? :whistle:

You'll just have to wear the frilly and lacey stuff you normally wear, then.....

klingon
17th October 2009, 20:54

Beware of too much starch in your petticoats, BD! Those things can be very dangerous in an accident. :oi-grr:

cs363
17th October 2009, 20:56
You'll just have to wear the frilly and lacey stuff you normally wear, then.....

It does look like petticoats will be de riguer for the BIKOI doesn't it?

Would you mind dropping my stuff back when you've finished with it? (Ironed of course...)

(better not have stretched anything...)

Maha
17th October 2009, 21:03
If anyone can link the article you will see that he did not ride away, he got on the bike, turned it on then gave the throttle a wee twist, (for the camera) I didnt see him ride away....:oi-grr:

cs363
17th October 2009, 21:06
If anyone can link the article you will see that he did not ride away, he got on the bike, turned it on then gave the throttle a wee twist, (for the camera) I didnt see him ride away....:oi-grr:

Here you go: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/motorcyclists-protest-acc-levies-3080571/video

Maha
17th October 2009, 21:10
Here you go: http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/motorcyclists-protest-acc-levies-3080571/video

So I did see it right?.....:rolleyes:

AD345
17th October 2009, 21:10
We might be missing an opportunity here actually.

If thousands of us turn up on the day wearing shorts t-shirts and jandals, saying this is what we'll be wearing when we have to spend the extra dosh on on rego.....

THAT would make a point

cs363
17th October 2009, 21:11
So I did see it right?.....:rolleyes:

Of course, cats have superb eyesight.

bet you didn't see the guy in the petticoat though.....

cs363
17th October 2009, 21:13

If thousands of us turn up on the day wearing shorts t-shirts and jandals, saying this is what we'll be wearing when we have to spend the extra dosh on on rego.....

THAT would make a point

That echoes a thought that occurred to me earlier.

Many people either don't understand the value of decent protective gear or simply can't afford it, for some that extra dosh they have to fork out every year may well impact on the decision to buy better protective gear.

So, lycra it is then? :lol:

Maha
17th October 2009, 21:13
Of course, cats have superb eyesight.

bet you didn't see the guy in the petticoat though.....

No missed him....:drool:

But it just goes to show how some people perceive things to be, one would automatically think he was going to ride away because he was on his bike.

cs363
17th October 2009, 21:17
No missed him....:drool:

But it just goes to show how some people perceive things to be, one would automatically think he was going to ride away because he was on his bike.

It was a bit worrying the way the camera focused in on his hand though, perhaps TV1 practising a bit of negative subliminal messaging?

Trudes
17th October 2009, 21:22
Because so many of us put on all our other gear, get on our bikes, start them up and twist the throttle a little then turn it back off, get off and take all our gear back off. The guy on the Ducati who was wearing even less gear rode off BTW.

george formby
18th October 2009, 08:59

Thats what I thought I saw too, a quick blip for the good folks at home.

Maha
18th October 2009, 09:05
Thats what I thought I saw too, a quick blip for the good folks at home.

Its possible he rode away, but the clip (the way beemer saw it, didnt show that) and its not a legal requirement to wear gloves. Given the article content, he should have been wearing gloves I guess. When I saw the clip I did however say '' mate, ya gloves'' yeah I noticed that very point.

Its like looking at a photo of two men standing in a doorway holding a TV. Are they taking it out, or are they taking it in?

peasea
18th October 2009, 09:05
ive been trying to decide what to wear on the wellington protest ride. my leather with denim vest, or armoured jacket?
decided to try and compromise, the armour and the denim, but the denim wont do up, and it was mega heavy anyway. so decided to finally wear the armour to the event, then put the denim on once we get there and leave the jacket in the top box. lol.
so much thinking in the interests of image. lol. might even have to try and wear my best boots that dont have holes in em.

Speedos and crash helmet for me. Legal, but dumb.

george formby
18th October 2009, 09:06
Because so many of us put on all our other gear, get on our bikes, start them up and twist the throttle a little then turn it back off, get off and take all our gear back off. The guy on the Ducati who was wearing even less gear rode off BTW.

Oy believe he had shorts on.. I also thought Ulysses were the responsible & considered face of motorcycling. The commentator also came up with some tripe about how these riders like their bikes big & fast & enjoy a fast ride. That makes us look good! NOT! I guess that was stereotyping on the commentators part, hard for us to change that onion. And what was the comment about the toll coming down because their are more older bikers? I thought born again bikers were over represented.
I'm looking forward to getting some clarity on these stats & positive, eloquent representation in the media.

Skyryder
18th October 2009, 10:35

THAT would make a point

Yes it would. But I'm not too sure it's the one that you want to make.:Oi:

It's just the sort of thing that would give Smith and his acolytes the ammunition they need to justify the increases. :mad:

Skyryder

rebyl
18th October 2009, 12:58
By people wearing Fluro vests and looking like lollipop men on a work site...LOL:Playnice:

Beemer
18th October 2009, 14:50
...note, the borrowed full face helmet will only be used for the protest ride. all for the sake of appearances. after that, will go back to my trusty open facer. :) the boots on the other hand are desperately needed, but only steel caps will do... wont ride without them.

I wonder if anyone who has ever suffered facial injuries while wearing an open face helmet has ever gone back to one afterwards? I used to wear one for rallying only - mainly because they are easier to get on inside a roll cage and cooler - I was told to get one in case I threw up but I never did! I'd NEVER wear one on the open road because I hate getting hit by bugs, stones, etc, they are cold at open road speeds, and they provide fuck all protection for your chin and lower face if you come off. Not to mention how much fun an open face would be in the rain.

As for steel capped boots, I vaguely remember being told not to use them on the bike as the forces involved when you crash could result in you losing your toes. Not 100% sure on that, but not prepared to take the risk.

Gloves, boots and protective gear other than a helmet may not be compulsory, but that doesn't mean they should be optional. Maybe ACC could look at refusing to cover those who don't take every effort to protect themselves when riding.

As to whether the guy actually rode off in the news item is irrelevant - as Trudes pointed out, how many of us get geared up and on the bike then NOT ride off? (Apart from when you realise you've left your wallet behind...)