PDA

View Full Version : Wellington - Public Education

Bend-it
17th October 2009, 21:59
I've been asked to put my arse where my mouth is (settle down boys...) and actually organise this... It's one of my suggestions in this thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1129464825&postcount=5

Lesson outcome: For people to realise that engine capacity has little to do with power, speed or perceived danger.

So the idea is to park 2 bikes at a location with lots of foot traffic: A supersport 600 and a tourer 1300 or something similar, with clear signs showing stats like capacity, hp, bike style, etc. We'll also have A5 flyers with clear, calm points on why the ACC levy proposals are unjust and why people should care.

JD will be doing up the flyers, and sourcing bikes. I'll sort out some posters.

I'll need volunteers who can turn up at a bike shop at about 11.45am, ride the bike to the designated location, and have some lunch and hand out flyers if people ask. Don't get into arguments... just say you're not there to argue, but they can read the flyer if they want to know more. Then at 1pm, bring the bikes back. Easy.

Requirements:
- Have a "Target" T-shirt and have it on when you take off your jacket for lunch,
- Full license, and
- Full gear (Full face helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves).
- Not a squid.

Register your availability by replying to this thread.

Locations: Frank Kitts Park, Midland Park, Courtney Place, Old Banks' Arcade, Parliament lawns. One for each day of the week... :)

I'll let you know which bike shop, location and schedule when it's sorted.

Insanity_rules
17th October 2009, 22:41
I'll put my hand up for that.

Nasty
17th October 2009, 22:43
I can make myself available ... just depends on workload on a given day.

Bend-it
17th October 2009, 22:46
Cool... we might start later in the week... gives me afew days to sort flyers out, get permission etc...

I'll let you know...

More volunteers please! We need 2 per day...:clap:

Trudes
18th October 2009, 04:34
Yep I could probably do a day or two depending on which week as to which days. Oh and I'm a shortarse so riding a big (tall) bike I can not do (feet dangle).

StoneY
18th October 2009, 06:51
I also can do a day, maybe 2 but not whole week

I would need be later in week too, already got meetings with 'importatnt support elements' on Monday and Tuesday

Ms Piggy
18th October 2009, 07:48
Sorry I only just saw this thread. I can help out on Friday 23rd Oct cos I have the day off. PM me with any details.

[edit]: Ummmm, my bike is 500cc is that gonna be useful? I notice you're asking for 600cc+ bikes.

Cheers.

Pedrostt500
18th October 2009, 08:03
I will be available for the occasional day, weekends more probable, are you intending to rotate this through the Wellington Region, rather than just Wellington City.

Jacknz
18th October 2009, 18:16
sure. I can do a few days. I'll pm my mobile number

Bend-it
18th October 2009, 21:11
Cool thanks guys... I was intending for one site per day across the city, but depending on number of volunteers, we could do other significant places in the region... In terms of political visibility, probably best to concentrate in the city...

I'll be talking to peole at the council, and hopefully hearing back about the bikes tomorrow. I'll post up schedules then. We'll probably start late next week...

If someone could drive in with a gas BBQ, and we found some cash, we could even do free sausages at Frank Kitts Park or something like that on a Saturday? That'll draw a crowd and have people chatting around the bikes...

Ms Piggy> The bikes will be provided... we're negotiating with bike shops to borrow a couple of mint looking bikes, and it might be publicity for them as well. We're looking to specifically demonstrate that a 1200 - 1300cc bike is not necessarily faster or more dangerous than a 599cc bike.

bike4life
18th October 2009, 22:55
To the person organising this. Good on ya mate. Im sure there's some MPs or Council Members who own Bikes. Someone give them a target T-Shirt 2. I know Phil Goff is against this ACC Bike Levy he'd get some major Media attention for us if he was on his bike on parliaments lawn. Send him an email about it:2thumbsup

Ms Piggy
19th October 2009, 06:29
Is anyone going to be organising little fact sheets to hand out? Or has it been organised? Just with some basic bullet points - that website has some very good facts http://www.bikersagainstacc.org.nz/thefacts.html

I know it all costs money though...I can offer to write something up but I work for a little NGO so can't offer to do the printing - maybe 1 of the bike shops would fund it?

Ms Piggy
19th October 2009, 06:30
Ms Piggy> The bikes will be provided... we're negotiating with bike shops to borrow a couple of mint looking bikes, and it might be publicity for them as well. We're looking to specifically demonstrate that a 1200 - 1300cc bike is not necessarily faster or more dangerous than a 599cc bike.
Thanks for the clarification....sorry I didn't read it proper.

Bend-it
19th October 2009, 09:25
Can I get someone who's not doing too well financially, maybe a student or something like that, who rides a bike because driving is too expensive on petrol and parking etc...

Could you write down a few lines about how this will affect you, that I can use in an info flyer? It may need to be editted, but I'll run the final version by you first. and You don't have to use your full name. Maybe just first name and occupation.

Thanks!

StoneY
19th October 2009, 09:35
Can I get someone who's not doing too well financially, maybe a student or something like that, who rides a bike because driving is too expensive on petrol and parking etc...

Thanks!

Bro theres no less than 12 posts on this website already stating that...copy/paste exctratctions from them
:)

Bend-it
19th October 2009, 09:39
yeah, but no explicit permission to use for this purpose...

errr, and I haven't come across them yet! Post a link... :)

StoneY
19th October 2009, 09:43
yeah, but no explicit permission to use for this purpose...

errr, and I haven't come across them yet! Post a link... :)

Search function man, theyre in theier amongst heaps of others

Mrs Busa Pete
20th October 2009, 06:21
I've been asked to put my arse where my mouth is (settle down boys...) and actually organise this... It's one of my suggestions in this thread: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1129464825&postcount=5

Lesson outcome: For people to realise that engine capacity has little to do with power, speed or perceived danger.

So the idea is to park 2 bikes at a location with lots of foot traffic: A supersport 600 and a tourer 1300 or something similar, with clear signs showing stats like capacity, hp, bike style, etc. We'll also have A5 flyers with clear, calm points on why the ACC levy proposals are unjust and why people should care.

JD will be doing up the flyers, and sourcing bikes. I'll sort out some posters.

I'll need volunteers who can turn up at a bike shop at about 11.45am, ride the bike to the designated location, and have some lunch and hand out flyers if people ask. Don't get into arguments... just say you're not there to argue, but they can read the flyer if they want to know more. Then at 1pm, bring the bikes back. Easy.

Requirements:
- Have a "Target" T-shirt and have it on when you take off your jacket for lunch,
- Full license, and
- Full gear (Full face helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves).
- Not a squid.

Register your availability by replying to this thread.

Locations: Frank Kitts Park, Midland Park, Courtney Place, Old Banks' Arcade, Parliament lawns. One for each day of the week... :)

I'll let you know which bike shop, location and schedule when it's sorted.

Bend it how are you going with this and do you know if there is any one in Auckland orginizing one of these.
If not i would be ken to get up and running here. May be with a little help from you. ie flyers and stats.

Bend-it
20th October 2009, 22:20
Don't know anyone from Aucks doing it... Work's gone abit nuts at the moment, so we'll probably start next week instead of later this week, as I was hoping...

I'll send you the flyers once they're done. PM me your email address.

CHeers!

Bend-it
23rd October 2009, 16:19
wellington Motorcycles were all for it and are happy to lend us bikes for this... but they don't have any supersport 600s... Motorad have a zx6r in the shop, but are thinking about whether or not to lend it to us...

So... if anyone has a new-ish looking supersport 600 in town on lunchtimes, that they are happy for us to use, please let me know!

Either you ride it to the spot and take it back later, or someone can come by and pick it up off you.

Cheers!

P.S. There's a beautiful R6 parked around the back of TelstraClear offices at Centreport... if you are reading this, that would be perfect! ;)

Ms Piggy
23rd October 2009, 16:42
Cheers!
Good work mate! When you have the flyer will you post it here or can you email it to me so I can pass it on to non-KBers that were at last nights meeting?