PDA

View Full Version : BIKEOI. What days work?

Ixion
17th October 2009, 22:16
Well, the previous thread ot try to find what dates work for people turned into a train wreck

So, I'll try again.

From the point of view of getting visibility by MPs, Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday are teh days. They aren't there Monday or Friday apparently.

But, those days are less good for people who have to ride in from far off. Means more time off work. And not even so good for Welly people, also means time off work.

If we organise it on a weekend day (probably Sunday) that makes attenedence easier. But, our protest may be less effetcive

So , fill in the poll. Please. Pretty plese. What works for you, and what do you reckon

Hopeful Bastard
17th October 2009, 22:17
For me, Anyday..

Bend-it
17th October 2009, 22:19
I'd say Tuesday... that way people can ride in over the weekend, and the media have the rest of the week to replay footage! :) Woo hoo!!

Motu
17th October 2009, 22:24
I have to take my holidays oweing before december,so it doesn't matter....but make your mind up fast!

Jantar
17th October 2009, 22:33
For maximum effect it has to be when parliament is in session, so that means mid week. 200 bikes outside parliament when it is sitting is more effective than 2000 bikes on a sunday.

Pedrostt500
17th October 2009, 22:51
I think for maximum numbers a Thursday / Friday, im thinking most would be happy in making it a long weekend, thus they can ride home Saturday or Sunday, because not every one would afford a whole week off.

retro asian
17th October 2009, 22:59
Any day. I don't care, I'll be there! :headbang:

If you book them, they will come...

cs363
18th October 2009, 00:16
Any day works for me, and logically a ride on parliament is only going to be effective when the MP's are in the house.

One possibility might be a weekend protest rally to get the numbers (good for the media) and then those that can, stay on for the ride on parliament on the Tuesday? This option would also allow some to opt in or out of either.
Knowing the way the media works they'd probably mix footage of the weekend ride with that of the midweek anyway, creating a much better effect on TV.

If you own motorcycle(s) you really owe it to yourself and all of us to take a day or two's holiday or even throw a sickie, this is pretty damn important.

Bend-it
18th October 2009, 00:30
Too many sickies, and it's gonna be a sickoi.... Muahahhaah....

apologies folks, it's late...

Danae
18th October 2009, 00:35
November 5 is a Thursday :)

Hopeful Bastard
18th October 2009, 00:38
But are John Key and our best friend sitting on the 5th?? If they are, I bags sitting up in one of the trees with a laser directed firework :2guns:

But those are the 2 people we wanna target right? Anyone able to check they sit on the 5th?

cs363
18th October 2009, 00:48
But are John Key and our best friend sitting on the 5th?? If they are, I bags sitting up in one of the trees with a laser directed firework :2guns:

But those are the 2 people we wanna target right? Anyone able to check they sit on the 5th?

Bugger the fireworks, I want to get my hands on a FGM-148 Javelin missile.... :lol: (Google it, and check out the vids...)

p/t

cs363
18th October 2009, 00:49
November 5 is a Thursday :)

EXCELLENT! Muahahahahaah! :D

TOTO
18th October 2009, 05:42
during the week or weekend works for me.

I think that as long as we have some kind of media coverage it doesn't matter matter so much when the protest takes place. I say time it with the journalists, and cant go wrong. The media is the most powerful weapon after all.

peasea
18th October 2009, 07:34
Well, the previous thread ot try to find what dates work for people turned into a train wreck

So, I'll try again.

From the point of view of getting visibility by MPs, Tuesday Wednesday and Thursday are teh days. They aren't there Monday or Friday apparently.

But, those days are less good for people who have to ride in from far off. Means more time off work. And not even so good for Welly people, also means time off work.

If we organise it on a weekend day (probably Sunday) that makes attenedence easier. But, our protest may be less effetcive

So , fill in the poll. Please. Pretty plese. What works for you, and what do you reckon

I would vote in your poll but I'm not allowed coz I keep saying "suck my dick" to anyone who can't take a joke, but IMHO Nov 5th would be a blast. (Oh, that's soooo lame...) We have to come over the water so the sooner a date is set the sooner we can make bookings and arrange leave. However, any date is ok by us, just make sure Nick Smith is in the house and willing to recieve us on the steps.

James Deuce
18th October 2009, 07:39
Gaah. The drugs made me click on the wrong one!

MId-week. Mid-week or nothing.

StoneY
18th October 2009, 07:44
I see the need for a midweek, but would have prffered the bigger numbers a weekend would provide
Also midweek might get people offside with us...namely our employers?
Just a thought, I bow to the Poll result either way

gazmascelle
18th October 2009, 11:11
I agree with TOTO, as long as it gets noticed (in a good way) that's all that matters. Media and politics go hand in hand after all. Weekend would be best for me

BMWST?
18th October 2009, 11:14
on the previuos two occasions pretty sure it has been a friday evening.There will still be wellington based ministers ,MP etc.I am pretty sure mr goff or mr mallard would like an opportunity to stomp on something the government has proposed

chanceyy
18th October 2009, 12:30
I have some flexibility with work so regardless of the day will be there (one or two weekends are out though)

yungatart
18th October 2009, 12:37
I very much doubt I can take time off work to attend this in Welly. I am already taking LWP for some prior committments. Unfortunately, i still gotta work to pay my bills etc...unless someone wants to give me a day's pay :rolleyes:
I'll do my bit in HB tho

sinfull
18th October 2009, 12:38
November 5 is a Thursday :) Will you be bringing that Guy ?

ynot slow
18th October 2009, 12:43
Be good to have a politician of so at parliament,so probably mid week works for that,power of numbers means weekend works for riders bloody tough decision.

MSTRS
18th October 2009, 12:47
If people feel strongly enough, it won't matter what day it is. They will be there to be counted. But whatever day it is, it must have maximum effect. No point in having a damp squib.

bogan
18th October 2009, 12:53
i can do any time (wasnt an option for it in the poll). November 5, guy fawkes day, would be nice and symbolic... but there is other news that day as well, and people have other plans that day usually. Have to weigh up the benifits of either, may get more on a weekend too. Dont wanna be nit-picky ixion, but maybe a multi option poll with a heaps of dates and we just pick the ones we can attend, then finalise the best date for effectiveness and impact at the BRONZ meeting.

EatOrBeEaten
18th October 2009, 12:53
Possibility of a big rallies in the major cities on a weekend, then the hardened few who can take time off bikoi down to Wellington? It could be a big Sunday sendoff from us aucklanders....

klingon
18th October 2009, 12:55
Tuesday 17 November!

freddy72
18th October 2009, 13:21
Anytime is good for me just give us warning

retro asian
18th October 2009, 13:44
How about doing it a day or two before Q&A time at Parliment?
Protest day would give initial media coverage.

Then opposition MP's will have the chance to quizz Nick Smith publicly (second round of media coverage a few days afterwards).

TerminalAddict
18th October 2009, 13:54
Yo Ixion,

a message from our local Ulysses club:
A large portion of our club members will be away on an organised tour on the 5th, 6th,and 7th of Nov though.

Ocean1
18th October 2009, 14:03
Fwiw there'll be a nominal metric shitload of canon fodder passing through Wgtn on or about Wed 27th Nov, headed south...

http://burtmunrochallenge.com/

Cynic
18th October 2009, 14:05
Canterbury Anniversary day is Friday 13th, incorporating that might see a few more form the south making the trek north. Right up there with Nov 5 for date appeal as well....

phred
18th October 2009, 15:27
For maximum effect it has to be when parliament is in session, so that means mid week. 200 bikes outside parliament when it is sitting is more effective than 2000 bikes on a sunday.

I am agreeing.

Ixion
18th October 2009, 15:32
Gawd 'elp us, Soloman in all his glory couldn't call this one.

General consensus seems to be that we need to make our presence while parliament is parliaing. ie during the week.

But we want as BIG a presence as possible which means weekend.

My thought (which counts for no more than anyone elses) :

Have the Regional BIKOI for wellington on the Sunday. The Parliament thing the following Tuesday.

The Sunday gathering can be attended by the folk who can't make weekdays (might be a bit much of an ask from Auckland North or the Souf Island). It will also prepare the press for happenings on Tuesday.

Those who want to , and can make, the Tuesday rockup to the Beehive can either come down specifically for the Tuesday , or hang around after Sunday

As for dates , either Nov 15/17 or 22/24 . If Ulysses are having a big event finishing the 7th they probably won't be keen to turn out again next day.

Shall I put up anothe rpoll?

TRIUMPHSROCK675
18th October 2009, 15:34
nice quote dude

gazmascelle
18th October 2009, 16:51
sounds good to me.

bogan
18th October 2009, 16:51
my 2c (and no acc/national you cannot have them)

It is very difficult to call. We definetly need a huge show of numbers, look good for the media, so I vote the main one to occur on the weekend. The fact that there wont be bugger all pollies in parlament wont change how good it'll look to have the place completely encircled with bikes. Then those that can, stay until tuesday (ive forgotten why tues instead of mon); making it one continuous event, which should be easier to follow and get better coverage than two seperate events; will also show we have more determination.

BlacknRound
18th October 2009, 17:27
I will be there in spirit whichever day it is on

Hanne
18th October 2009, 17:41
Possibility of a big rallies in the major cities on a weekend, then the hardened few who can take time off bikoi down to Wellington? It could be a big Sunday sendoff from us aucklanders....

+1 for that, this way we get numbers and the oi-factor at parliament

twotyred
18th October 2009, 17:57
anyday but try not to give "them" too much warning about our plans... this place is watched closely

bogan
18th October 2009, 17:59
anyday but try not to give "them" too much warning about our plans... this place is watched closely

i reckon involve the police, get them to close off intersections etc, if they refuse, just flash mob it.

StoneY
18th October 2009, 18:00
Will you be bringing that Guy ?

We can burn Nick Smith dummies on Parliaments lawns :lol:

Claim amnesty under the Guy Fawkes clause
:niceone:

StoneY
18th October 2009, 18:02
Ixion I still think some showing on Thurs 5th as local one is a good idea

National coordinated BIKOI day is going to take much more organising, nad the 5th is symbolic in many ways

As well as the two main target ministers are supposed to sit on the 5th?

davereid
18th October 2009, 18:07
Nov 22 is way to late IMHO.. plus I will not be around, and I sure as hell don't want to miss a thing !

Ixion
18th October 2009, 18:56
Problem with the 5th is its a Thursday. Which won't work for the "Big show of numbers on the weekend", because it would be AFTER the Parliament gathering.

So Nov 5th, it would just have to be the people who cna get time off work. Which would be at least three days, for Auckland or Sth Island. That's a biggish ask

Having the regional BIKOI on the Sunday means only one day off work , maybe none - down (up) on Staurday, protest Sunday, home Monday (maybe even Sunday night for some)

tommygun
18th October 2009, 19:03
If people feel strongly enough, it won't matter what day it is. They will be there to be counted. But whatever day it is, it must have maximum effect. No point in having a damp squib.

+1 to the above. I will try to make it what ever day. If I can do something local and in Welington then all the better. At sometime you have to pick a date for best effect and hope like hell that everyone can make it.

Laxi
18th October 2009, 19:06
not gonna bother voting on this, looks harder to organise than a battle of wits at the national party conference, my plan is if I hear theres a bunch of bikes headed for parliment, im there, anytime any day, but what is the bikeoi intending to achieve? if its to sit round on the lawn at parliment and make some noise, then sure go for sunday! if the idea's to disrupt parliment attract the most attention you can and maybe talk to/at the pricks calling the shots? then i'd go for midweek

klingon
18th October 2009, 21:20
Parliament's first sitting day after the recess is Tuesday 17 November.

If we want to be where the politicians and political media are, and present a petition on the steps of parliament, and get our representatives invited in to have a chat with some senior MPs, that would be the day to do it.

Naki Rat
18th October 2009, 21:30
Parliament's first sitting day after the recess is Tuesday 17 November.

If we want to be where the politicians and political media are, and present a petition on the steps of parliament, and get our representatives invited in to have a chat with some senior MPs, that would be the day to do it.

And the recess starts when?

Never mind. Googled it - October 29th. Calender (http://www.parliament.nz/en-NZ/PB/Business/Programme/9/4/d/00CLOOCThisWkProgramme1-House-sitting-programme.htm)

Those pricks don't spend much time sitting do they:sleep:

Waxxa
19th October 2009, 14:12
November 17th then KBers!!

lets cut the bullshit with having Polls on what date suits people, the first sitting for parliament is going to be the 17th so lets just get down there and protest!!!

The Plan: Sunday 15 November leave Auckland, cruise down and stay in Turangi overnight. Plenty of accommodation and dont have to carry food or sleeping bags.

monday 16th: head to Wellington bright and early. need to find accommodation here (a mates, a KBer, backpackers or motel).

tuesday 17th: protest at parliament and head back up to Turangi again for overnight stay.

wednesday 18th: cruise back up to Auckland.

Hopeful Bastard
19th October 2009, 15:48
November 17th then KBers!!

lets cut the bullshit with having Polls on what date suits people, the first sitting for parliament is going to be the 17th so lets just get down there and protest!!!

The Plan: Sunday 15 November leave Auckland, cruise down and stay in Turangi overnight. Plenty of accommodation and dont have to carry food or sleeping bags.

monday 16th: head to Wellington bright and early. need to find accommodation here (a mates, a KBer, backpackers or motel).

tuesday 17th: protest at parliament and head back up to Turangi again for overnight stay.

wednesday 18th: cruise back up to Auckland.

Yup. Good Idea. But bright and Early monday? not everyone from up Themways (north) are bushy tailed Early monday ;)

I am planning to head down on tuesday with the Horowhenua group. Again, Thanks for the offer Chanceyy

Had i known the 5th, That they werent gonna be sitting, I would of said the 17th. So, I change my vote.. The 17th Of November it is for me! :)

Waxxa
20th October 2009, 08:27
Yup. Good Idea. But bright and Early monday? not everyone from up Themways (north) are bushy tailed Early monday ;)

Not before nine o'clock anyway:oi-grr: then you have an enjoyable ride down, breakfast and lunch somewhere etc.

If anyone is interested in this intinerary let me know and I will book accommodation in Turangi.

Kinje
21st October 2009, 13:01
Parliament is next sitting on November 17, 18 and 19 and 24, 25 and 26. Perhaps we should aim for one of these days?

http://www.parliament.nz/en-NZ/PB/Business/Programme/9/4/d/00CLOOCThisWkProgramme1-House-sitting-programme.htm

sunhuntin
21st October 2009, 19:54
the weekday suits me better. at this stage, im planning on doing there and back on the same day. should be doable, with any luck. i might ride with the naki group, but dont mind riding solo [since thats whatll happen anyway. hate being on such a slow bike. would borrow the 500 back, but with a heavy police presence, itll be just my luck to get caught]

Hopeful Bastard
22nd October 2009, 07:51
the weekday suits me better. at this stage, im planning on doing there and back on the same day. should be doable, with any luck. i might ride with the naki group, but dont mind riding solo [since thats whatll happen anyway. hate being on such a slow bike. would borrow the 500 back, but with a heavy police presence, itll be just my luck to get caught]

If you make it down to Levin, Then you wont have any problem keeping us with us.. I am only on my learners ;)

StoneY
22nd October 2009, 09:37
Ok I just got told BRONZ have vindicated the 17th

SWEET AS thanks for telling me BE

sunhuntin
22nd October 2009, 09:37
If you make it down to Levin, Then you wont have any problem keeping us with us.. I am only on my learners ;)

what time are you leaving levin? i could be there no worries. and there to meet? i usually have to have a comfort stop near where the bp used to be, by the big field and could meet you somewhere near there?

DMCD
22nd October 2009, 09:47
what time are you leaving levin? i could be there no worries. and there to meet? i usually have to have a comfort stop near where the bp used to be, by the big field and could meet you somewhere near there?

I'm hoping to stop in Levin also, its been a while since I've been back to my old home town.

Clean_up
22nd October 2009, 09:51
I'm as keen as everyone else for any day, so long as it is confirmed and we have enough notice to get tim eoff work. I think what really needs to happen is ONE person takes the bull by the horns and just says "this is when it is happening, everyone who can come, come, if you can't, sorry." You'll never be able to please everyone and have a date that works for everyone, so just set a date, and run with it. Those who are MAD KEEN will be bale to organise something so they can come, those who can't will probably organise a local BIKEOI in their own region.

Either way, count me in! Just need at least a week or 2 notice to appl for time off.

DMCD
22nd October 2009, 09:53
I'm as keen as everyone else for any day, so long as it is confirmed and we have enough notice to get tim eoff work. I think what really needs to happen is ONE person takes the bull by the horns and just says "this is when it is happening, everyone who can come, come, if you can't, sorry." You'll never be able to please everyone and have a date that works for everyone, so just set a date, and run with it. Those who are MAD KEEN will be bale to organise something so they can come, those who can't will probably organise a local BIKEOI in their own region.

Either way, count me in! Just need at least a week or 2 notice to appl for time off.

The date is 17th of November, the horny bull was taken last night in the BRONZ meeting...

Hang on that may have come out the wrong way :-P

Hopeful Bastard
22nd October 2009, 09:53

17th Of November buddy. Midday at the parly building

Bald Eagle
22nd October 2009, 09:55

Wellington November 17th watch this space for co--ordinating instructions.

Hopefully will get some poll threads up with list of meeting points / departure times so people can register where they are going to start from .

kave
22nd October 2009, 13:13
Well I'm applying for time off work, hope I get it. Its a shame that its not a weekend, I always felt that a protest that consisted of large numbers of motorcyclists would have applied more pressure on politicians (via images in media etc...) than a much smaller protest while parliament is sitting. Asking the people from New Zealands largest population base (by a considerable margin) to take 2-3 days off work in the midst of a recession will undoubtedly have a serious impact on numbers.

That being said, I will be attending the Wellington protest, the Auckland protest and any other protest I can, and will fight this proposal in every way I can.

Waxxa
22nd October 2009, 13:30
...to take 2-3 days off work in the midst of a recession will undoubtedly have a serious impact on numbers.

paying the proposed increases in ACC levies will cost you more in the long run than taking a couple of Annual days Leave (which you get paid for).

I have my accommodation booked for the three days from Auckland, everyone needs to put the excuses away and get down to Wellington...:mad:

Clean_up
22nd October 2009, 14:25
Sweet, 17th it is :) is there a plan for a rally in wellington on the sunday before? or is it simply just en mass to parliment on the 17th?

nudedaytona
22nd October 2009, 16:41
I happen to be catching an early morning flight to Wellington on 17th November. Has anyone got a spare bike I could borrow to take to the BIKOI protest ride? I will bring my own helmet and gear.