PDA

View Full Version : DirtBikes - It's not fair on us

MisterE
15th October 2009, 11:56
I just want to confirm something here. Some of the board messages are implying that ACC is using both on-road and offroad accident stats as the "total" number of accidents. Does this mean that the on-roaders are paying for offroad accidents through the levy?

Murray
Yes, if the off roader is not registered

MSTRS
How else can it be. Accidents are recorded by vehicle type.

Katman
15th October 2009, 11:59
The fact is that no-one is actually sure.

That is why BRONZ need to request from ACC full disclosure of motorcycle related accident information.

Shorty_925
15th October 2009, 11:59
MNZ have a levy for each and every race.

As for all those school fundraisers....well that i suspect would be another issue, though the schools that host those trail rides need the money since theyre public rural schools...

But do off-road riders come under the sport of motorcycling...?

ready4whatever
15th October 2009, 12:02
If yes then that would explain why its so god damn high. in NZ every man and his dog has a motorbike in the shed. absoultely thousands

Naki Rat
15th October 2009, 12:13
The fact is that no-one is actually sure.

That is why BRONZ need to request from ACC full disclosure of motorcycle related accident information.

A pretty fair idea of on road vs offroad MC claims can be made by comparing this (http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/8-motor-vehicle-account/IS0800143) to this (http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/2-all-entitlement-claims/IS0800021).

Over $15 million on combined ATV and Motorcycle/moped/etc categories offroad compared with $62 million onroad for the same categories between July 07 and June 08 based on those ACC stat's. That's roughly 20% of ACC claim costs for the offroad riders.

mossy1200
15th October 2009, 12:16
I have requested more info.maybe we all should request it.

complaints@acc.co.nz

Claims Manager.

Im looking at you figures and see no reference to off road motorcycle accidents which having no registration pay no levy.
Motorcycles involving car accidents are less than half but I would like the information of the percentage of acc claim involving cars in dollar figures.
i am assuming that these cost more than a simply break or check up.
Car verses bike causes major injuries eg broken pelvous and three months off work.

I am requesting more information than a yearly figure and average cost since you have decided to attack my wallet.

Thanks Steve Mossman

Motu
15th October 2009, 16:08
Don't alienate your brother off road motorcylists - you need numbers,use them.

Sure,you are paying for their accidents - but after 40 years of no claims riding,I've been paying a shit load of ACC for those dick heads on road bikes who bin every weekend.

wolf.47
15th October 2009, 20:16
Whats the chances that when some one claims acc from a motorcycle accident, Acc just writes exactly that "motorcycle Accident" and do'nt mater when, were or what kind of bike it was (dirt, road, atv) it all goes on there stats as Motorcycle accidents.

bogan
15th October 2009, 20:21
Whats the chances that when some one claims acc from a motorcycle accident, Acc just writes exactly that "motorcycle Accident" and do'nt mater when, were or what kind of bike it was (dirt, road, atv) it all goes on there stats as Motorcycle accidents.

I think the cause is motorcycle accident, but the place is recorded as on a farm/mx track/beach....
Whether they have bothered to seperate these properly is another matter entirely.

lostinflyz
15th October 2009, 20:26
when you bin at the track and get hurt its recorded as a motorcycle accident.

Danae
15th October 2009, 20:27
But many offroaders have a roadbike or some type of license. If the ACC levy was stuck on your license then no matter how many vehicles you owned you'd pay the same price. This couuld be put in conjunction with renewing your license every year, keep idiots off the road. It shouldn't be so hard.

We can't alienate the dirtbikers. I so far have had two rides on a dirtbike and it's bloody fantastic, thank you very much.

twotyred
15th October 2009, 20:29
yup ATV,offroad and farmbikes are now your responsibilty...

motorbyclist
18th October 2009, 01:33
and we all know that dirtbikers are being counted against roadbike stats, but ignoring the real possibility that they bring the average claim cost down, do'ya reckon we can write them off on the petrol levy alone? Maybe not, but I pay 9c/L petrol levies on my 400cc thumper and she's mighty thirsty on gas ;)

WTF? Us DIRT riders pay ROAD tax too? But we never use the road!

Fuck the MoT! Protest shirt and ride! Blame National!

BUUURRRNNNNN THEM!

:headbang:

young1
18th October 2009, 08:19
I have two bikes one registered, the other a trail bike. If I fall off and need physio etc it is recorded as a motor bike accident. There is no mention of whether the bike is registered or not.

The problem with trying to charge it per motorbike license is similar to the above, how many people ride unregistered bikes (mx and trail bikes) that aren't registered?

Also my partner has a motorbike license, she can not remember how to ride a bike as it has been so long since she did it (she is actually going to do a beginners course to remind her of the skills) so it is unfair to make her pay until she actually rides one.

And how do you recover ACC from people with licenses but ride someone elses bike?

Maybe as someone has suggested increase the ACC on petrol but that will sting all the users.

Certianly a tricky one!

Genestho
18th October 2009, 09:19
I have requested more info.maybe we all should request it.

complaints@acc.co.nz

Claims Manager.

Im looking at you figures and see no reference to off road motorcycle accidents which having no registration pay no levy.
Motorcycles involving car accidents are less than half but I would like the information of the percentage of acc claim involving cars in dollar figures.
i am assuming that these cost more than a simply break or check up.
Car verses bike causes major injuries eg broken pelvous and three months off work.

I am requesting more information than a yearly figure and average cost since you have decided to attack my wallet.

Thanks Steve Mossman

Good work!!!!!

Just so you know, if you get no joy this way.....try again.

There is an official way to request information which is much more successful and a thorough rate of answer.
There is indeed an art to requesting and receiving particular information.

Outlined in the Resource (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1129457869&postcount=13) thread.
There still may be a reason why your request may be denied.

You need to be to the point.

You need to be particular ie, year/s of information you require is missing. These are your parameters.

Do you want a rate of years as comparison?
Do you just want last year?

They will want to know if you require new or exisiting claims.

Are you talking car crashes per claim, or total of all claims for which year.
Percentage or dollar amount, or both?

Do you see what I mean?

IE - "Under the Official Information Act 1982.
I request information:

Over the year/s of _____ I require the figure of _____ as an overall total or per claim, (exisiting and/or new?)

Be particular and be precise, think out what answer you require back.
I'm also not sure if the complaints department is the place to send an Official Information Act request.

motorbyclist
18th October 2009, 10:53
Also my partner has a motorbike license, she can not remember how to ride a bike as it has been so long since she did it (she is actually going to do a beginners course to remind her of the skills) so it is unfair to make her pay until she actually rides one.

Maybe as someone has suggested increase the ACC on petrol but that will sting all the users.

No offence, but if she can't operate the vehicle she shouldn't have a licence for it. - (I've been for some time now arguing for a mandatory licence re-sit every five years)

If they put a rego on your licence, then you should be able to put your licence on hold for up to x number of years just like a car rego, no?

Danae
18th October 2009, 11:20
WTF? Us DIRT riders pay ROAD tax too? But we never use the road!

Fuck the MoT! Protest shirt and ride! Blame National!

BUUURRRNNNNN THEM!

:headbang:

Why can I not give more rep!!! :killingme

imdying
18th October 2009, 11:46
Don't alienate your brother off road motorcylists - you need numbers,use them.They pay ACC on their wages, their car/tow vehicle registration, their petrol, any road bikes they have.

We can hardly consider off road bikes as non contributors.

rebyl
18th October 2009, 11:57
Something and hurt myself I'm gunna say I was riding my horse....let the bastards put that down to a bike accident.....just have to be able to crawl home first...LOL :2thumbsup

ynot slow
18th October 2009, 12:47
If all bike accidents are classified as bikes,we need to all protest,whether or not it is road or off road incident,and off road can include 4x4 farm injuries as well,every rider be it on road,off road,farmer,hunter,moto-x trials,is a rider,lets join together,and forget about who crashes,uses the funds most.

rok-the-boat
18th October 2009, 13:15
My ride is a DR500S - street legal. I don't use it often - once a week maybe - but it will not be worth it if I have to pay heaps of $$$ for one day a week. If I want to keep on a bike I'd have to get rid of the car to justify it - not a bad idea either.