PDA

View Full Version : Bikers Against ACC website

chch_zed
18th October 2009, 15:23
A new website has been created to provide information about the campaign against the ACC levies. Early days yet but more to come.

See http://www.bikersagainstacc.org.nz/

Maki
18th October 2009, 15:27
Great, bling awarded.

Ixion
18th October 2009, 15:47
BTW the 62 million figure is correct but very misleading.

That figure is for 2008. But it covers the cost of 3173 active claims. BUT - only 1336 of those claims were for accidents in 2008.

And the 12million , so much quoted ,was the collection for 2008 only.

And, because ACC is now a full funding model, the claims for previous years will have been fully funded in those years. That is, if a claim occurs in 2007, then in 2007 ACC will put aside enough to cover the cost of that claim in 2007 AND ALL SUBSEQUENT YEARS.

So, cost of claims prior to 2008 HAVE ALREADY BEEN PAID FOR. They don't have to be paid from the 2008 revenue. In effect ACC are trying to con us that the same claim ahs to be paid for twice over.

Doing a bit of maths, based on th eavergae cost of those 3173 claims, and extending it across the 1336 NEW claims, gives 26 million as the cost of 2008 claims

And, if that revenue was what it should be , based on the number of REGISTERED bikes, it would be about 19 million. Not much of a short flal at all to 26 million

Oakie
18th October 2009, 16:11

That figure is for 2008. But it covers the cost of 3173 active claims. BUT - only 1336 of those claims were for accidents in 2008.

And, because ACC is now a full funding model, the claims for previous years will have been fully funded in those years. That is, if a claim occurs in 2007, then in 2007 ACC will put aside enough to cover the cost of that claim in 2007 AND ALL SUBSEQUENT YEARS.

So, cost of claims prior to 2008 HAVE ALREADY BEEN PAID FOR. They don't have to be paid from the 2008 revenue. In effect ACC are trying to con us that the same claim ahs to be paid for twice over.

Doing a bit of maths, based on th eavergae cost of those 3173 claims, and extending it across the 1336 NEW claims, gives 26 million as the cost of 2008 claims

And, if that revenue was what it should be , based on the number of REGISTERED bikes, it would be about 19 million. Not much of a short flal at all to 26 million

Well don't tell us. Tell the media! They love that stuff

Ixion
18th October 2009, 16:14
Well don't tell us. Tell the media! They love that stuff

Patience laddie, patience.

nothingflash
18th October 2009, 16:14
Great site - maybe this should be referred to on Spankme's t-shirts?

Nasty
18th October 2009, 16:17
I am sorry, but would never wear a t-shirt with bikers against acc ...

I am not against ACC ... I am against the changes that they are proposing ... which as we all say seem rather outlandish. I have had reasonable dealings with ACC in dealing with the death of my partner ... and they were as helpful as allowed and forthcoming with information and assistance.

sunhuntin
18th October 2009, 17:15
here here nasty. :) for the most part, acc do a great job, but it is the increases that get my back up. also the cutting of counselling for those that were raped etc.
at the proposed price, i would be better off taking out private medical and life insurance or something. which is something i would do, IF i didnt have to pay acc as well. one or the other. its not like i can die twice.

ajdarrell
18th October 2009, 20:28
Good website, we need to get behind them

howdamnhard
18th October 2009, 20:45
Excellent. I notice in all the news reports that ACC or Nick Smith always has a rebuttal along the lines " yes but car drivers are still subsidising bikers by $77". If this is false when is it going to be challenged in the media where the public can see it as it aint helping our cause?

NighthawkNZ
18th October 2009, 20:47
Excellent. I notice in all the news reports that ACC or Nick Smith always has a rebuttal along the lines " yes but car drivers are still subsidising bikers by $77". If this is false when is it going to be challenged in the media where the public can see it as it aint helping our cause?

Media need to get the info and do there own figures... but they probably don't care

howdamnhard
18th October 2009, 20:50
Media need to get the info and do there own figures... but they probably don't care

Yip they like the work done for them.

nothingflash
18th October 2009, 20:51
I am sorry, but would never wear a t-shirt with bikers against acc ...

I am not against ACC ... I am against the changes that they are proposing ... which as we all say seem rather outlandish. I have had reasonable dealings with ACC in dealing with the death of my partner ... and they were as helpful as allowed and forthcoming with information and assistance.

I don't believe the website is anti ACC in content - same can't be said for the name though. Shame really - especially for the point you make.

zahria
18th October 2009, 20:52

Most of us have a car tho... I have 2, so what? are we subsidising ourselves?

howdamnhard
18th October 2009, 21:07
Most of us have a car tho... I have 2, so what? are we subsidising ourselves?
Yip so do I, this needs to be and indeed has been pointed out. Of course ACC & Mr Nick Smith will be trying their damndest to skew things in their favour and attempting to alienate us from the rest of the population. Of course if ACC is successful at alienating us bikers ( introducing a blame culture) then it will open the gates into picking on other minority groups until they will have everybody paying extra for ACC and the cash will be flowing in to be squandered unwisely. That or the general public will baulk against ACC at the idea when they realise they will be the next victim and then National will be able to either privatise or scrap it in its entiety. Which will be a pity as essentialy its a good idea but needs to be cleaned up ( just like our tax system).

chch_zed
19th October 2009, 09:21

Interesting stats, I would like to know the source of these as I have not been able to find this anywhere.

Genestho
19th October 2009, 09:43
The website looks fantastic, and sounds like a brilliant plan is coming together, the content is great. The people coming together sound awesome.

EXCEPT the name!

I'm not against ACC, nor should any biker that has, or will come unstuck.
If you as a biker are killed your family left behind will be looked after, whether or not you lose control, or a car takes you out

When my husband and friends were killed, due to the circumstances - I was given quick and top priority to get my financial affairs in order.

As Nasty has also said they were were forthcoming with information at a time where ontop of everything else, I/We didn't know where the next cent was coming from to pay the mortgage and bills.

Also I belong to a Motorcycling group that is working with the Motorcycling community, dealerships, ACC, and NZ Police, to create a plan towards NZQA subsidised training scheme.

The only thing I don't support is the unfair and unrealistic rise in levy's soley to Motorcyclists.

But good work, awesome place to centralise the information!

Ixion
19th October 2009, 09:44
Interesting stats, I would like to know the source of these as I have not been able to find this anywhere.

http://www.acc.co.nz/about-acc/statistics/acc-injury-statistics-2008/8-motor-vehicle-account/IS0800143

shrub
19th October 2009, 09:49
I'm part of the group involved, and the website is only a couple of days old, so changes are easy at this stage. There will be some very cool stuff coming up on that site over the next day or so.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, this site is part of an overall strategy to mobilise the motorcycling community long term and provide resources to fight these levy changes short term. We have a team of committed and skilled professionals with web design, public relations, marketing and research skills, as well as access to politicians, ACC and industry groups.

Watch this site, things are happening.

retro asian
19th October 2009, 11:54
I'm not against ACC, nor should any biker that has, or will come unstuck.
If you as a biker are killed your family left behind will be looked after, whether or not you lose control, or a car takes you out

I would rather have the option to choose: ACC or private insurance.

Dunno if it's true, but all the insurance salespeople say the coverage is better on private. Plus you can get coverage for your mortgage etc, rather than just getting 80% of your last year's wages.

Private would also be cheaper for those who are working fulltime I imagine.

Nice website Shrub!

shrub
19th October 2009, 12:14
I would rather have the option to choose: ACC or private insurance.

Dunno if it's true, but all the insurance salespeople say the coverage is better on private. Plus you can get coverage for your mortgage etc, rather than just getting 80% of your last year's wages.

Private would also be cheaper for those who are working fulltime I imagine.

Nice website Shrub!

but sadly I didn't build it - it's a cracker though, and where it's going is going to be the best part.

The idea of private insurance is great, but you forget that a high percentage of the ACC costs are not wages but medical, and if it gets privatised expect to have a fricking high insurance premium if you put "motorcycle rider" on your proposal (I used to work in insurance).

chch_zed
19th October 2009, 12:23
Due to popular opinion the title of the website has changed to "Bikers Against ACC Levies", url still that same at this stage.

Angusdog
19th October 2009, 12:34
<snip>expect to have a fricking high insurance premium if you put "motorcycle rider" on your proposal (I used to work in insurance).

But knowing the insurance industry, wouldn't they have the freedom to add "Do you partake in any of the following:
(a) Horse riding
(b) Motorsport
(c) Chainsaw juggling
(d) being a parking warden
(e) rugby
(f) shouting "Poofs" at gang members"
as they can then charge correspondingly high premiums for all those fields, something which ACC doesn't do but we would like them to?

Buckets4Me
19th October 2009, 12:46

and how much is the bike and car rego subsidising push bikes ????

you know the ones that ride 4 wide on a country road in packs of 20 or more
on a nice sunny sunday when you are trying to take the kids to the beach

or the one that was killed on peak road (never payed any acc for that ride did he)
EDIT: I see this point is on the web site

I think ACC need to extend there revenu gathering to include skate boards, horses, pushbike, MOUNTAIN Bikes and chainsaw jugler's
not just wack up the rego on bikes by $200-$400 dollars ???(I thought it was only $77 short fall) :mad:

Genestho
19th October 2009, 12:52
Due to popular opinion the title of the website has changed to "Bikers Against ACC Levies", url still that same at this stage.

Nice One!:2thumbsup

sasfmj
19th October 2009, 13:35
sign the online petition everyone

the links is at the bottom right of the page !!

www.nothanks.co.nr

spread the word !! cant let these crazy acc levys happen !!