PDA

View Full Version : Horowhenua-Palmy Local Protest Action

Pages : [1] 2

davereid
18th October 2009, 18:05
While this thread originally was for the Bikeoi as continued protest action is required we are adding events to this thread .. lastest info

Parking Protest on 19 December 2009, Meeting inside the square, Palmy by 8.30, Depending on the numbers, parking will be set on the morning .. bike require current wof & rego, and money for the meter.

Post with further info here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1129557246&postcount=269)

SATURDAY 31 OCTOBER
Wellington Region Ride
(RIDE CREDIT - ULYSSES Wellington)

TUESDAY 17 NOV
National BIKEOI Protest Run

Both Runs Depart
10am from Fatboyz Carpark, Behind Cobb & Co SH1 LEVIN
Learners and slower riders encouraged to be early for a 9.30am departure

Palmerston North Riders meet an hour earlier at the Square Carpark for the BIKEOI
Once again learners or slow riders are encouraged to be 1/2 an hour early.

Remember - these are likely to be quite big groups, and a safe trip is essential to our goals.
Please ride safely and carefully, with due regard to other traffic. We suggest a 90km/hr speed on the open road, and for maximum safety, and visual impact, please keep 2 seconds or more between bikes.

chanceyy
18th October 2009, 18:10
Yeah Dave I can, have a few trips to palmy this week and up there fairly regularly, can get a few of the manawatu crew to help out

happy to help where I can :yes:

bogan
18th October 2009, 20:37
Ill do what i can, chuck up flyers or whatever round massey (not big on approaching randoms in the street and trying to convert them though)

Hopeful Bastard
19th October 2009, 10:11
If flyers or w/e are made, Send a copy to my email murphfanatic@yahoo.co.nz and i will print a few off and hand them out to some mates to pass on to mates to pass on..

Im sure haf of Levin know's the McBrydies...

ynot slow
19th October 2009, 10:26
Is it able to be maybe done here,similar to other regions whereby we have a couple of bikes of different styles,i.e tourer,sports scotter etc.Have a heap of flyers to hand out,and posters on bikes showing accident stats relevant to the cause.Ideal place is square and maybe by info centre,say from 11.00-2.00pm.Bikes obviously need to be rego and wof,maybe also get a farm bike from bike shop as well,to show that road ridden bikes are regoed,while farm bikes are not,thereby not paying acc levy,but still are included in bike accidents statistics.

I am keen to do this.

bogan
19th October 2009, 10:31
im debatting whther to attach one of those flagpole things (on kids bikes, and mobility scooters) to my pillion pegs... Chuck a flag, and some laminated flyers on there as well could get some good passive publicity.

Hopeful Bastard
19th October 2009, 10:39
I could be all for having some kind of banner/ flags

ynot slow
19th October 2009, 10:41
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...25&postcount=5 Your link failed?
I know then deleted post,cheers for that.

Bogan be carefull don't want flag falling off and causing accident lol,and cops would pull you over for having a load exeeding vehicle dimensions or similar.

bogan
19th October 2009, 11:58
I know then deleted post,cheers for that.

Bogan be carefull don't want flag falling off and causing accident lol,and cops would pull you over for having a load exeeding vehicle dimensions or similar.

yeh, wouldnt put a massive one on it, still gotta park in it the garage. And it wouldnt fall off cos i'd stick it on good as; trust me, im an engineer!

Ixion
19th October 2009, 13:07
.. And it wouldnt fall off cos i'd stick it on good as; trust me, im an engineer!

Oh Gawd. I'll alert the emergency services.

Hopeful Bastard
20th October 2009, 07:38
We need to organize a date and time for the horowhenua/manawatu group to meet up guys...

Anyone wanna take a lead in this?

davereid
23rd October 2009, 08:14
FAT BOYZ BAR behind the Cobb and Co on SH1 has agreed to be the LEVIN kick off point.

Nathan will be open so ya can get a coffee, get out of the cold if its chilly or stand around telling lies about bikes. Its intended Levin Bikers will depart around 10 ish so we can ride slowly and safely without any bins, or dodgy riding.

We need to decide if Palmerston North Riders are going to assemble in Palmy, or Hook up with riders from SH1 at Sanson or even at Fat Boyz LEVIN.

I still need someone to poster up Palmy Bike shops, cafes gas stations and pubs - any volunteers ?

chanceyy
23rd October 2009, 09:19
FAT BOYZ BAR behind the Cobb and Co on SH1 has agreed to be the LEVIN kick off point.

Nathan will be open so ya can get a coffee, get out of the cold if its chilly or stand around telling lies about bikes. Its intended Levin Bikers will depart around 10 ish so we can ride slowly and safely without any bins, or dodgy riding.

We need to decide if Palmerston North Riders are going to assemble in Palmy, or Hook up with riders from SH1 at Sanson or even at Fat Boyz LEVIN.

I still need someone to poster up Palmy Bike shops, cafes gas stations and pubs - any volunteers ?

Dave you might want to add the date so everyone knows is this for the 31 Oct for the Wellington protest rally OR/AND 17th Nov for the bikeoi

most of the manawatu crew are happy to put up posters etc .. I have 7 so far who are keen ... want to catch up for coffee ??

bogan
23rd October 2009, 10:44

I think a palmy assembly point would be quite good, should be quite a turnout from here, think a few of the woodville riders plan to join as well.

If its 10am in levin, 9am meet in palmy would give us plenty of time. Once the time/place/date part is finalised I'll add it to the flyer and plaster them round massey/bike shops (unless someone else is doing bike shops?) and whereever else I can find.

chanceyy
23rd October 2009, 10:51
I think a palmy assembly point would be quite good, should be quite a turnout from here, think a few of the woodville riders plan to join as well.

If its 10am in levin, 9am meet in palmy would give us plenty of time. Once the time/place/date part is finalised I'll add it to the flyer and plaster them round massey/bike shops (unless someone else is doing bike shops?) and whereever else I can find.

Hi Bogan

just talked to Dave .. it will be leaving Levin at 10am .. so may pay to be a 9am leave time fr palmy ..

Dave will confirm details re 31st oct, so info will be same for both dates :) and plastering info everywhere will be great .. do not forget Dairies, petrol stations etc

bogan
23rd October 2009, 11:18
sounds good, dunno if ill make the 31st oct one, but I assume we are publisising the info for that just as much? is there a different flyer for it? also are we co-ordinating with the HB bikers as well? if so, the square could be a good meeting point as there would be a lot of bikes.

chanceyy
23rd October 2009, 11:30
sounds good, dunno if ill make the 31st oct one, but I assume we are publisising the info for that just as much? is there a different flyer for it? also are we co-ordinating with the HB bikers as well? if so, the square could be a good meeting point as there would be a lot of bikes.

absolutely, the more bikes we can get to each is all good, still waiting to see what details are confirmed first but making ppl aware something may be on is a start then follow up with info once its verified.

Have sent Mstrs a pm :blip:

davereid
23rd October 2009, 12:13
still waiting to see what details are confirmed first but making ppl aware something may be on is a start then follow up with info once its verified. :blip:

Yeah 31st is not yet confirmed.. waiting..

gazmascelle
23rd October 2009, 20:13
What's this about the 31st? is someone organising a protest ride in the manawatu?

chanceyy
23rd October 2009, 20:21
What's this about the 31st? is someone organising a protest ride in the manawatu?

just waiting for confirmation from Ulysses, a wellington rally is being organised .. since its not far to go will get info out & then those who can not attend the 17th can make sat instead, so watch this space :)

StoneY
23rd October 2009, 22:06
just waiting for confirmation from Ulysses, a wellington rally is being organised .. since its not far to go will get info out & then those who can not attend the 17th can make sat instead, so watch this space :)

Confirmed

Ulysses are heading to parliament on the 31st

Anyone attending, please respect its Ulysses gig, and Peter Mac was good enough to tell us in advance, and invite us to come along

Best behavior asked and expected

More details on exact times to follow

This is not BIKEOI its Ulysses and they get to set the scene.
But when its over its like' ok that was the local gig...wait for the national BIKEOI to arrive

mowgli
24th October 2009, 06:50
I'm in for all day on the 17th (unless WW3 starts or somat).

chanceyy
24th October 2009, 06:55
Confirmed

Ulysses are heading to parliament on the 31st

Anyone attending, please respect its Ulysses gig, and Peter Mac was good enough to tell us in advance, and invite us to come along

Best behavior asked and expected

More details on exact times to follow

This is not BIKEOI its Ulysses and they get to set the scene.
But when its over its like' ok that was the local gig...wait for the national BIKEOI to arrive

Cheers for that Stoney .. will hit the phones later today to let outside groups know :)

motnick
24th October 2009, 07:05
hi folks

I've only recently rejoined the two-wheeled fraternity, but I'm keen as to get involved with this protest.

give me a bell if you want me to post some messages around Palmy and outlying towns.

I'm not sure if I can be there next saturday, but I will be there on the 17th.

chanceyy
24th October 2009, 07:47
hi folks

I've only recently rejoined the two-wheeled fraternity, but I'm keen as to get involved with this protest.

give me a bell if you want me to post some messages around Palmy and outlying towns.

I'm not sure if I can be there next saturday, but I will be there on the 17th.

cheers Nick .. welcome aboard .. there is reg fri nite rides & group in palmy ..head along when ya free to meet some of the other motley crew:)

thanks for the offer of the flyers, will let you know :)

sunhuntin
24th October 2009, 07:48
ive got posters printed to hit wanganui bike shops with.

i will be at levin on the 17th... plan on doing a little bit of shopping first, otherwise would come to palmy. im gonna be on the road by half 7.

chanceyy
24th October 2009, 07:56
ive got posters printed to hit wanganui bike shops with.

i will be at levin on the 17th... plan on doing a little bit of shopping first, otherwise would come to palmy. im gonna be on the road by half 7.

cheers C, was going to send you a pm later on .. have already spoken to dogs this morn & he will also get the word out ..

Is there anyway you can do up a few flyers for next sat rally as well ??

davereid
24th October 2009, 08:01
Thanks Chancey.. I have posted to all in my email, err both anyway.

10am at Fatboyz kickoff...

bogan
24th October 2009, 10:27
Updated palmy assembly details for the 17th on a flyer (attached). Not really sure what to put on a flyer for the ulyesses one though. Dont spose Ulysses have made one up? Its not a protest ride I gather, just a trip to parliament...

chanceyy
24th October 2009, 12:54
Awesome Bogan .. can I get you to do a pdf for us, just change the meeting place to Fatboyz Bar riders brief 9.45am, leaving 10am. Then I can do a print run at work on tues

for the Ulysses hmm pretty much same but change from bikeoi to Ulysses Rally protesting ACC increases ..

as long as we get info out to the masses all the better ..

if you need to send me a pm, with ya contact details & I can call you
cheers

Sandra

bogan
24th October 2009, 14:14
done and done! (getting good at this paint.net thing now)

I havent done a palmy Ulysses flyer as I'm not sure I will make it to the rally, and I dont think any onee else has put a hand up to organise it from the palmy end. I'm sure everyone knows where levin is anyway!

For the BIKOI are we planning on accomodating learner riders? as the 70kmhr speed limit will require extra organising. Also, would it be benificial to try and find car driver with passenger for ride leader and tail end charlie? a lot easier to communicate than on a bike.

chanceyy
24th October 2009, 14:39
done and done! (getting good at this paint.net thing now)

I havent done a palmy Ulysses flyer as I'm not sure I will make it to the rally, and I dont think any onee else has put a hand up to organise it from the palmy end. I'm sure everyone knows where levin is anyway!

For the BIKOI are we planning on accomodating learner riders? as the 70kmhr speed limit will require extra organising. Also, would it be benificial to try and find car driver with passenger for ride leader and tail end charlie? a lot easier to communicate than on a bike.

Many thanks Bogan .. (would bling you again if I could)
going to catch up with Dave but prob .. its on my list :)

quite a few are coming down on sat .. wether they meet in palmy or levin, its up to them .. we will have riders fr wanganui, dannevirke palmerston & shannon so should be a reasonable turn out .. will be calling into a few ppl this aft to let some of the clubs know

Hopeful Bastard
24th October 2009, 16:04
Well i hope that they are accommodating Learners.. Cos thats all i have ;)

chanceyy
24th October 2009, 17:22
Well i hope that they are accommodating Learners.. Cos thats all i have ;)

do you have a bike sorted ?? or still need a ride ??

DJ
24th October 2009, 17:59
Thinking I might just have to drag myself out of the woodwork for the 17th hehehe.... been a long time since I went on a group ride (2 licences ago even!) Unfortunately Mrs DJ can't come along and keep my back warm for the ride (and she is my reverse gear sometimes hahaha) as she has to work that day :(

chanceyy
24th October 2009, 18:31
Thinking I might just have to drag myself out of the woodwork for the 17th hehehe.... been a long time since I went on a group ride (2 licences ago even!) Unfortunately Mrs DJ can't come along and keep my back warm for the ride (and she is my reverse gear sometimes hahaha) as she has to work that day :(

:laugh: been a while DJ .. be good to see you turn up :yes: :clap:

DJ
25th October 2009, 01:26
yeah I need to get out more I think...bit hard not really knowing any other bikers :( Roll on the Bikeoi! :) Through friends of friends I might be able to put word out to some others who might be keen, or so I'm told. More the merrier. :)

MSTRS
25th October 2009, 15:16
Are your times still 9.00 P/N and 10.00 Levin? You need to be at Papakowhai (Police College) in time to leave at 11.30 according to this (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1129477728&postcount=1)
Really important, cos our guys have a long way to go and I need to ensure they have enough time.

davereid
25th October 2009, 16:20
I am reasonably comfortable with 90 minutes to Porirua for normal riders. But I would suggest that smaller bigers, or those with learners riders may want a bit more time, and could possibly filter down half an hour earlier. If other areas feel more time is needed, we can revise the start time - let me know.

MSTRS
25th October 2009, 16:37
Can't speak for other areas, but HB group intend leaving Napier by 6.30. It's just over 2 hours to P/N (being good) so they will be right for Square leaving at 9.00.
I am just concerned that big groups take a while, the nearer to Welly the bigger they'll be, and the times are going to get very close.

chanceyy
25th October 2009, 16:54
I am reasonably comfortable with 90 minutes to Porirua for normal riders. But I would suggest that smaller bigers, or those with learners riders may want a bit more time, and could possibly filter down half an hour earlier. If other areas feel more time is needed, we can revise the start time - let me know.

Can't speak for other areas, but HB group intend leaving Napier by 6.30. It's just over 2 hours to P/N (being good) so they will be right for Square leaving at 9.00.
I am just concerned that big groups take a while, the nearer to Welly the bigger they'll be, and the times are going to get very close.

It normally takes me 45 -60 mins to get fr Levin to porirua (destination) I feel 90 mins is plenty long enough figure we will have two groups (normal road speed and prob learners)

MSTRS
25th October 2009, 17:05
Yea, I know that Levin to Porirua is not a great deal time-wise. For a solo rider. I was thinking that with groups potentially in the 1000s (he said hopefully) that time will be wishful thinking

sunhuntin
25th October 2009, 17:08
cheers C, was going to send you a pm later on .. have already spoken to dogs this morn & he will also get the word out ..

Is there anyway you can do up a few flyers for next sat rally as well ??

i dropped a poster off at the one the members of the triumph club and was told they are onto it nationally. at this point in time, im the only rider i know of that will be attending from this town. im am seriously hoping that wont be the case.
i will drop one off at my neighbours and also my former bosses tomorrow. heres hoping they will be interested.

quite a few are coming down on sat .. wether they meet in palmy or levin, its up to them .. we will have riders fr wanganui, dannevirke palmerston & shannon so should be a reasonable turn out .. will be calling into a few ppl this aft to let some of the clubs know

there will likely be riders from new plymouth and furthur north as well. im planning on being on the road about 7 or 7.30ish, to allow for a quick shop at levin and also the almost ritualistic comfort stop.

hopeful biker... i am more than happy to just ride slow if you or anyone else needs. im used to being at the back of the pack. lol. just remember the basic riding 'rules' of being staggered etc. im sure the ride rules will be explained before we leave levin, and then again at the police college.

chanceyy
25th October 2009, 17:22
Yea, I know that Levin to Porirua is not a great deal time-wise. For a solo rider. I was thinking that with groups potentially in the 1000s (he said hopefully) that time will be wishful thinking

We can always filter them through sooner if ppl are there at 9am we can send groups off in 10 min intervals .. another plan

MSTRS
25th October 2009, 17:25
That would work. Good thinking

davereid
25th October 2009, 17:36
Yeah, the 10 am can be treated as "last departures".

Even if we are late, its all part of the media circus.. hundreds of bikes at the beehive, and SH1 & 2 packed with still more...

We will be encouraging 90kmhr and 2 secs between bikes to help the visual impact.

chanceyy
25th October 2009, 20:33

Dave & a few other (inc local reporter who rides & will be coming down on 17th) along with myself will have a catch up in next few days .. we will have several contingency plans to cope if we have a large turn out, may be that we stagger groups early & have one final group leaving at 10am .. personally if we have slow riders I would rather they leave earlier than later ...

have organised a few lead/TEC riders as well ..

bogan
25th October 2009, 21:16
see how it all works for the one next sat, will probably highlight any issues that need sorting.

For the 17th one, I was thinking along the lines of sending people from the square in palmy down to levin for the breifing (rather than getting everyone together and having one in palmy as well), making use of the HB lead/TEC riders, and some locals to lead the earlier groups to Fatboyz.

chanceyy
25th October 2009, 21:23
see how it all works for the one next sat, will probably highlight any issues that need sorting.

For the 17th one, I was thinking along the lines of sending people from the square in palmy down to levin for the breifing (rather than getting everyone together and having one in palmy as well), making use of the HB lead/TEC riders, and some locals to lead the earlier groups to Fatboyz.

yeah thats wot I was thinking as well, Indications are we may have quite a few riders this sat .. will time the run to porirua with a largish group to see how it works .. that will give us an idea .. being that sat is normally busier on the roads than a tues as well

be good to have the riders arriving staggered fr palmerston ... some clubs may ride together to come down as well

sunhuntin
26th October 2009, 07:31
i will be at fatboyz earlier than 10, likely about 9.30 if it goes to plan, and would be happy to leave early with any other slower riders. this will be by far the biggest group ride ive done, and i would rather be out of the main group, and im sure those that havent done many big rides would be feeling the same.

chanceyy
26th October 2009, 07:39
cheers C .. will see what happens on the day really depends on turn out & what time ppl arrive ... We will be there early anyhow :)

specter
26th October 2009, 11:21
when and where is the rally point for palmy riders?

Hopeful Bastard
26th October 2009, 11:29
Nice to see you guys are getting along well without me :)

I would want to be one of those that leave early as i am a Learner :wari:

bogan
26th October 2009, 11:33

for which ride? there are pdf flyers for both in this thread somewhere giving times/places to meet.

Leviticus
26th October 2009, 11:41

I am more than happy to leave early and will gladly tag along:done:

sunhuntin
26th October 2009, 16:38
ok, so you slower riders need to look out for the cruiser with two flags hanging off the back at levin, cos thatll be mine. lol. happy to be TEC as well. [mainly cos the flags stick out quite a bit and i need the whole lane, lol] must look at borrowing one of the first aid kits from a work van, just in case. [im assuming the ambo wont be with us until we leave porirua]

Gixxer 4 ever
26th October 2009, 16:57
Ok we, da Hawkes Bay group, come down Main st, on the morning of the 17th, and go where to find your group in the square for the ride to Levin?
What road are you taking to go South?
Thanks. I would like to check the rout before we ride it.

bogan
26th October 2009, 17:17
Ok we, da Hawkes Bay group, come down Main st, on the morning of the 17th, and go where to find your group in the square for the ride to Levin?

well main st is all two lane, so if we use that both in and out of palmerston, turns into pioneer highway when you go out. It will be the just before 9am rush hour (though i dunno if it counts as one here) so expect some delays, there is about 8 set of lights on that route. Im not sure whether the HB riders are going to stop at the square or just go straight through to levin, depends on time I suppose. Would appreciate if the HB TECs could stop in though.

If you do stop in palmy, the square carpark is the designated meeting space, got heaps of room for bikes.

EDIT: this is all for the 17th BIKEOI ride, I dont think there is going to be any meet in palmy for the Ulysses Rally on the 31st

sunhuntin
26th October 2009, 17:30
just a note, there was a speed camera on pioneer highway last time i went that way. its quite close to the outskirts, but still within the 50k limit. its on the southbound side. im assuming its still there?

Hopeful Bastard
26th October 2009, 17:38
Yupp. Hasnt moved...:2guns:

chanceyy
26th October 2009, 18:39

depends on which ride your talking about as there is two different rides on two dates

First ride is this Sat which is to join Ulysses in wellington for their rally .. no meeting in palmerston but meeting in Levin at fatboyz (just past 2nd set of lights on main drag) be there approx 9.30

and then on the 17th November for the main bikeoi meeting in palmerston in the sqaure & heading off to Levin again same meeting point but if your a newer rider plan to get there earlier so we can send slower riders off earlier than the faster ones ..

your more than welcome to attend both .. be aware the 17th is a tuesday :)

chanceyy
26th October 2009, 18:52

I am more than happy to leave early and will gladly tag along:done:

ok, so you slower riders need to look out for the cruiser with two flags hanging off the back at levin, cos thatll be mine. lol. happy to be TEC as well. [mainly cos the flags stick out quite a bit and i need the whole lane, lol] must look at borrowing one of the first aid kits from a work van, just in case. [im assuming the ambo wont be with us until we leave porirua]

Yup we will do a riders brief earlier for the newbie/slower riders we have lead riders & TEC organised, we need to ensure they know what is expected regarding staggered riding formation and perfer they leave a larger gap for safety ..

pioneer highway will take you directly out of palmerston to longburn and then via opiki & shannon come to Levin (Queen Street) and you will see a roundabout just prior to railway lines turn left here (cambridge st) at the next round about go over railway lines (Bath Street) .. through lights and turn into new world carpark .. the bar backs onto the far corner of the carpark :)

Cambridge st runs along side SH 1 but just saves having to go through 2 sets of lights and middle of town :)

sunhuntin
26th October 2009, 19:31
Yup we will do a riders brief earlier for the newbie/slower riders we have lead riders & TEC organised, we need to ensure they know what is expected regarding staggered riding formation and perfer they leave a larger gap for safety ..

whats the latest time to arrive for slow group rider brief? im fairly used to group rides, but being so slow prefer to keep out of the main bunch.
cool that youve got TEC sorted, but i am still going to position close to the back so i can try and snap some photos. [gonna look at a home made camera mount tomorrow. gotta talk to the auto tutor at work first.]

chanceyy
26th October 2009, 19:43
whats the latest time to arrive for slow group rider brief? im fairly used to group rides, but being so slow prefer to keep out of the main bunch.
cool that youve got TEC sorted, but i am still going to position close to the back so i can try and snap some photos. [gonna look at a home made camera mount tomorrow. gotta talk to the auto tutor at work first.]

really depends on what time ppl arrive, and the type of riders who come.

I have you down for TEC if we send several groups.

we (dave, gingin, and myself and chronicle reporter) are having a meeting tomorrow nite & as stated earlier several contingency plans will be in effect, however the major concern will be once the bikeoi gets to welly, will be hard to keep to the rear at that point

oops I should add that after the Ulysses rally this sat we should have some more ideas on what works & what doesn't for the 17th Nov .. call it a practice run :)

sunhuntin
26th October 2009, 19:59
really depends on what time ppl arrive, and the type of riders who come.

I have you down for TEC if we send several groups.

we (dave, gingin, and myself and chronicle reporter) are having a meeting tomorrow nite & as stated earlier several contingency plans will be in effect, however the major concern will be once the bikeoi gets to welly, will be hard to keep to the rear at that point

oops I should add that after the Ulysses rally this sat we should have some more ideas on what works & what doesn't for the 17th Nov .. call it a practice run :)

cool. just to make sure, you do know im not attending this saturday right? only going to be there for the 17th.

im gonna try and pick up a cheap fluoro vest and strap it to the top box with NEW RIDERS AHEAD written on it, that way the faster riders will know theres newbies.

once there groups have merged, i will try and keep back a bit, just for the photo ops, but if it doesnt work out, then im sure the pics will still be just as good from anywhere in the group.

Hopeful Bastard
26th October 2009, 20:05
I wouldnt mind leaving at half 9 that morning. That is, If i feel up to it or else i will grab a ride down with you Chanceyy. So if, Sunhuntin, You want to be a TEC you can be TEC of me :lol:

Anyone else that wants to leave at 9.30, i will be with the guys and gals at Fatboyz bar.

chanceyy
26th October 2009, 20:18
cool. just to make sure, you do know im not attending this saturday right? only going to be there for the 17th.

im gonna try and pick up a cheap fluoro vest and strap it to the top box with NEW RIDERS AHEAD written on it, that way the faster riders will know theres newbies.

once there groups have merged, i will try and keep back a bit, just for the photo ops, but if it doesnt work out, then im sure the pics will still be just as good from anywhere in the group.

yup I am aware of that C .. no probs .. I would think a number of L plates will also designate the status of the riders .. and a fluro vest for the TEC's , Lets get this sat out of the way & the meeting so we can get stuff sorted

I wouldnt mind leaving at half 9 that morning. That is, If i feel up to it or else i will grab a ride down with you Chanceyy. So if, Sunhuntin, You want to be a TEC you can be TEC of me :lol:

Anyone else that wants to leave at 9.30, i will be with the guys and gals at Fatboyz bar.

Adrian depends on what time ppl arrive, I will be at fatboyz at 8.30am both this sat & on 17th. I envisage that we will assess the numbers arriving & make decisions from this .. as stated we will have meeting tomorrow nite & prob one or two after this sat .. it will give us some idea for the 17th

Gixxer 4 ever
26th October 2009, 20:29
If you do stop in palmy, the square carpark is the designated meeting space, got heaps of room for bikes.

EDIT: this is all for the 17th BIKEOI ride, I dont think there is going to be any meet in palmy for the Ulysses Rally on the 31st

Thanks Bogan. I hope to lead a group of Hawkes Bay riders down from Napier and arrive at P/North square at 8.45 to join you as you go South on the 17th. Cheers.

bogan
26th October 2009, 20:31
Thanks Bogan. I hope to lead a group of Hawkes Bay riders down from Napier and arrive at P/North square at 9.45 to join you as you go South on the 17th. Cheers.

hope you mean 8:45 at the square, we are leaving at 9 to meet in levin at 10

Gixxer 4 ever
26th October 2009, 20:33
just a note, there was a speed camera on pioneer highway last time i went that way. its quite close to the outskirts, but still within the 50k limit. its on the southbound side. im assuming its still there?

Thanks for the heads up. We will be at legal speed all the way. As the group builds people need to take a lot of care.

Looking forward to catching up with you at this event. Last time we chatted it was in Taupo for the WRB protest.

Gixxer 4 ever
26th October 2009, 20:35

Yes thanks for that. We leave at 6.30 sharp

chanceyy
26th October 2009, 20:37

:laugh: I hope he meant that too :lol: If your leaving at 9 should be arriving just before the main rider brief, will be close timing however once rider brief is over will be gear on & leaving 10am

Hopeful Bastard
26th October 2009, 20:39
Shoot.. Forgot to mention that i will only be available for the 17th November ride. Not the 31st Oct

bogan
26th October 2009, 20:45
:laugh: I hope he meant that too :lol: If your leaving at 9 should be arriving just before the main rider brief, will be close timing however once rider brief is over will be gear on & leaving 10am

yeh 50ish minutes so will be tight, anything of huge importance going to be in the briefing? or just common sense ride responsibly stuff?

chanceyy
26th October 2009, 20:52
yeh 50ish minutes so will be tight, anything of huge importance going to be in the briefing? or just common sense ride responsibly stuff?

will know more after this sat .. along with common sense stuff may be a few other points to raise ..

we can have a joint meeting the week prior Bogan can sit down & discuss any issues, points to raise, issues that may arise fr this sat etc ..

bogan
26th October 2009, 21:04
will know more after this sat .. along with common sense stuff may be a few other points to raise ..

we can have a joint meeting the week prior Bogan can sit down & discuss any issues, points to raise, issues that may arise fr this sat etc ..

sounds good, will try and turn off the thinkerer till after this weekend, may be able to make it on sat after all too, weather permitting :sunny:

chanceyy
26th October 2009, 21:16
sounds good, will try and turn off the thinkerer till after this weekend, may be able to make it on sat after all too, weather permitting :sunny:

The weather for sat is looking fantastic (so far) next high should be overhead on sat :wari:

Make sure you come over & say hi .. as stated in earlier post I will be there early as :)

DJ
26th October 2009, 21:29
I had a thought - why doesnt everyone in the Palmy & Levin groups wear a coloured armband or similar? Since not everyone knows everyone else, it might be good for some of the learners or newbies to identify their 'crowd' in welly. Might be good if they want to find someone to ride home with later in the day, especially if everyone leaves different times.

chanceyy
26th October 2009, 21:37
I had a thought - why doesnt everyone in the Palmy & Levin groups wear a coloured armband or similar? Since not everyone knows everyone else, it might be good for some of the learners or newbies to identify their 'crowd' in welly. Might be good if they want to find someone to ride home with later in the day, especially if everyone leaves different times.

Good thought DJ just remember that as this has gone to a huge number of ppl not on kb it may not be as effective .. most ppl tend to buddy up or have friends that will be attending .. I have found on large group rides you may slightly get split up on the ride its self but you soon find each other at the destination, and filter home riding in much smaller groups .. however what works for ppl is fine :)

sunhuntin
27th October 2009, 09:14
Thanks for the heads up. We will be at legal speed all the way. As the group builds people need to take a lot of care.

Looking forward to catching up with you at this event. Last time we chatted it was in Taupo for the WRB protest.

yeh, its gonna be good to catch up with everyone. :hug:

HB, yep, more than happy to play babysitter :baby: to you and anyone else who wishes to leave early.

Ixion
27th October 2009, 10:11
Just for info, most of the northern (Auckland etc) contingent are going to overnight at palmy. So the group leaving may be big.

Current plan is to roll at 900, though Stoney has suggested bringing that forward to 800.

bogan
27th October 2009, 10:20
Just for info, most of the northern (Auckland etc) contingent are going to overnight at palmy. So the group leaving may be big.

Current plan is to roll at 900, though Stoney has suggested bringing that forward to 800.

oh, I had not thought of the aucklanders. I will be trying to discuss (within the next day or two) sectioning off the square carpark for bikes on that day (have bollards they can put in to stop cars, bikes will fit through easily) Ill ask for it from 7am till 9am just to be on the safe side. 800 seems early, bearing in mind the HB crowd are already planning to leave at around 630 (i think). Maybe use the square as more of a staging area than a mass exit, give info and send smaller groups down from 8 till 9, auckland crowd leaves 8ish, hb 9ish, and palmy area anytime in between?

chanceyy
27th October 2009, 10:42

oh, I had not thought of the aucklanders. I will be trying to discuss (within the next day or two) sectioning off the square carpark for bikes on that day (have bollards they can put in to stop cars, bikes will fit through easily) Ill ask for it from 7am till 9am just to be on the safe side. 800 seems early, bearing in mind the HB crowd are already planning to leave at around 630 (i think). Maybe use the square as more of a staging area than a mass exit, give info and send smaller groups down from 8 till 9, auckland crowd leaves 8ish, hb 9ish, and palmy area anytime in between?

as stated in earlier posts we may filter groups through with final group leaving at 10am. we will be looking at having several contingency plans, first discussion is tonite but the week prior we will have things firmed up here and prob joint meeting with bogan so we all can work together (& swap cell numbers so info flows between the two groups on the day )

DJ
30th October 2009, 19:05
Thinking about tagging along if it's ok on Sat? (if I manage to drag myself and the better half out of bed on time- Is the plan still on to leave from Levin, or anyone meeting up first and leaving from palmy? And is it a straight run with no stops on the way down?

I Haven't ridden around welly - hope it's not too tricky... :calm:
(got the 17th booked off work as well! woohoo! :) :)

:)
~DJ

bogan
30th October 2009, 19:14
if i go, (fairly likely) ill aim to leave from the square at 9am, so i can time check the ride to fatboyz

chanceyy
30th October 2009, 19:21
Thinking about tagging along if it's ok on Sat? (if I manage to drag myself and the better half out of bed on time- Is the plan still on to leave from Levin, or anyone meeting up first and leaving from palmy? And is it a straight run with no stops on the way down?

I Haven't ridden around welly - hope it's not too tricky... :calm:
(got the 17th booked off work as well! woohoo! :) :)

~DJ

yup all still as planned .. its not to hard to find parliment :laugh:

DJ/bogan .. come into levin from SH57 down Queen st .. turn left at first
round about (bartholomew Rd) and take first right (bath st) go over railway lines through lights & turn left into new world car park, fatboyz is in front of you (behind cobb & Co)

we will be there by 8.30am :)

mowgli
30th October 2009, 19:29
if i go, (fairly likely) ill aim to leave from the square at 9am, so i can time check the ride to fatboyz
What speed do you plan to do your time check at?

DJ
30th October 2009, 19:33

Coolies - you'll probably pass me LOL (me=nana rider, especially with the missus), but I'll be leaving from Shell Pioneer around 8.45 - 9am at a guess to make it in time for the rider brief (9.45?) and no rush at all.

DJ
30th October 2009, 19:35
yup all still as planned .. its not to hard to find parliment :laugh:

DJ/bogan .. come into levin from SH57 down Queen st .. turn left at first
round about (bartholomew Rd) and take first right (bath st) go over railway lines through lights & turn left into new world car park, fatboyz is in front of you (behind cobb & Co)

cool. I know the road you mentioning - turns out I drive down it every Monday for work. LOL C-ya there hopefully :)

bogan
30th October 2009, 19:42
What speed do you plan to do your time check at?

hundy k, I generally stick to the speed limits anyway :Police:

sunhuntin
30th October 2009, 19:45

glad theres going to be a crowd. lol. i will likely show up about 9ish. looking forward to seeing everyone again!

chanceyy
30th October 2009, 19:52
cool. I know the road you mentioning - turns out I drive down it every Monday for work. LOL C-ya there hopefully :)

yeah prob easiest way & miss main st of town

glad theres going to be a crowd. lol. i will likely show up about 9ish. looking forward to seeing everyone again!

you coming morrow C or talking 17th ?

MSTRS
30th October 2009, 19:56
I'll be in Taupo over the weekend. I will pop a few of these about the place. Maybe you guys can use them yourselves - although I reckon you've got it covered.

chanceyy
30th October 2009, 19:59
I'll be in Taupo over the weekend. I will pop a few of these about the place. Maybe you guys can use them yourselves - although I reckon you've got it covered.

Cheers John .. Bogan created the flyers for palmy & Levin .. darn awesome job too .. :niceone:

have fun at taupo :hug:

DJ
31st October 2009, 16:43
Awesome day :) A few pictures attached

DJ
31st October 2009, 16:44
a few to add to the collection.

chanceyy
1st November 2009, 13:19
Awesome pics DJ, Good you see you again & say hi to your wife :clap:

Well we really had no idea on how many ppl would turn out yesterday and leaving with around 30 odd bikes was a good number. Having some of the public there to send us on the way & show their support was appreciated, After all the proposed changes to ACC affects more than the biker community.

I know we were picking up the odd bikes at Otaki, Waikaene and pram :yes: but to look in my mirror going down the motorway & seeing a sea of bikes behind me was fantastic :wari: so we grew to an estimated group of 60+ riders

What a fantastic bunch of bikers, who really got into the spirit of the day and rode with that in mind :2thumbsup

having the police assistance stopping traffic to get out on the main road was totally appreciated and we will be having a meeting before the main bikeoi event to sort out best way to get this sorted with a much larger group.

did some timed stops to hit red lights so most of the group got through apart from all the lights at mana, however we will be making enquires to keep the T2 lane open on the 17th although papakowhai is only just down the road at that point

had some really good feedback from the slow rider group & very experienced riders at the back, so thank you for that .. overall the group managed to stay together, did not piss off the cagers (apart from one) and visably looked extremely impressive :yes:

Bogan did a timed run from Palmerston to Levin in 37 mins

and from Levin to Papakowahi at less than legal speed, with no overtaking in the group took exactly 1 hour ..

so looking good for the bikeoi

Again thank you to everyone who turned up yesterday and see you again on the 17th :sunny:

davereid
1st November 2009, 13:41
Well we really had no idea on how many ppl would turn out yesterday and leaving with around 30 odd bikes was a good number..... Having some of the public there to send us on the way & show their support was appreciated, After all the proposed changes to ACC affects more than the biker community......did not piss off the cagers (apart from one) and visably looked extremely impressive :yes:

Mrs R senior counted 42 bikes going around the pub corner, so we did a bit better than 30, so I was bloody pleased.

Heaps of great public feeedback, as I was at the back, I saw most of what was going on. In Otaki a woman was standing on the side of the road with a big "GO BIKERS" placard. Many cars flashed lights and gave us the thumbs up, even those a little inconvenienced by us going through.

Big thumbs up for Chancyy, she was the backbone of the day... my leadership skills are sadly limited to leading the half-time queue for the dunnies.

Elysium
1st November 2009, 18:10
I was ready to go and join the protest, then fucking work rang and I had to come in!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

chanceyy
1st November 2009, 20:31
Mrs R senior counted 42 bikes going around the pub corner, so we did a bit better than 30, so I was bloody pleased.

Heaps of great public feeedback, as I was at the back, I saw most of what was going on. In Otaki a woman was standing on the side of the road with a big "GO BIKERS" placard. Many cars flashed lights and gave us the thumbs up, even those a little inconvenienced by us going through.

Big thumbs up for Chancyy, she was the backbone of the day... my leadership skills are sadly limited to leading the half-time queue for the dunnies.

:gob: I heard a few joined us as we left .. but that was an awesome turn out :clap:

great to have the public support, being out front I missed that effect :)

thanks but along with yourself, Gingin & Peter its a group effort, and of course the the work Bogan is doing in Palmy, & the outstanding work on the flyers :yes: and the success is to all the riders who took part & listened at the riders brief :) outstanding :rockon::sunny:

Gerbs
2nd November 2009, 13:56
Have mentioned the 17th to the parking peoples here in Palmy - gave them a heads up :)

See ya'll there!

bogan
2nd November 2009, 14:01
Just had a call from a council rep :2thumbsup, it is confirmed that the carpark inside the square will be closed to cars on the 17th. I will be picking up a bollard key on the 16th, and opening up the entrances from both main st roundabouts, and the rangitiki st entrance to bikes only (leave middle bollard in) before 8am on the 17th.

DJ
2nd November 2009, 14:07
Just had a call from a council rep :2thumbsup, it is confirmed that the carpark inside the square will be closed to cars on the 17th. I will be picking up a bollard key on the 16th, and opening up the entrances from both main st roundabouts, and the rangitiki st entrance to bikes only (leave middle bollard in) before 8am on the 17th.

Heya Bogan
If you need a hand on the morning of the 17th let me know :)

~DJ

bogan
2nd November 2009, 14:12
Heya Bogan
If you need a hand on the morning of the 17th let me know :)

~DJ

cheers, most likely will

ynot slow
2nd November 2009, 16:39
Have a good ride guys and gals,won't be able to go as I've got a bloody JOB woohoo,typical lol,mind you both times I went to Welllyville ended up with nasty speed camera photos at Ngauraga(sp)Gorge for $80.00.

chanceyy
2nd November 2009, 21:23
Have a good ride guys and gals,won't be able to go as I've got a bloody JOB woohoo,typical lol,mind you both times I went to Welllyville ended up with nasty speed camera photos at Ngauraga(sp)Gorge for $80.00.

congrats on the job :clap: and going down the gorge will not worry us .. the group on sat did the gorge at the posted speed limit so no tickets :sunny:

DJ
2nd November 2009, 22:28
congrats on the job :clap: and going down the gorge will not worry us .. the group on sat did the gorge at the posted speed limit so no tickets :sunny:

Damn - anyone see the camera in the back of the van coming home? Just before Paraparaumu? I saw it, :doh: then realised my speed had been slowly increasing, shat myself and then remembered my speedo is a bit inaccurate and I'm fine. No flash :wari:

chanceyy
3rd November 2009, 05:31
Damn - anyone see the camera in the back of the van coming home? Just before Paraparaumu? I saw it, :doh: then realised my speed had been slowly increasing, shat myself and then remembered my speedo is a bit inaccurate and I'm fine. No flash :wari:

yeah thanks to a cager we got a warning but was not ramping up that much anyhow .. and he was no problem DJ he was facing the wrong way to get our plate numbers :blip:

yungatart
3rd November 2009, 07:04
Mstrs and I are going to join this rabble at Levin. Please let us know if we can help with anything...

phantom
3rd November 2009, 07:55
I have taken the 17th off ( the joys of sleeping with the boss :msn-wink: ) so am available to help out if I can be of any use.

chanceyy
3rd November 2009, 10:15
Mstrs and I are going to join this rabble at Levin. Please let us know if we can help with anything...

I have taken the 17th off ( the joys of sleeping with the boss :msn-wink: ) so am available to help out if I can be of any use.

thanks guys .. come down early & we may have some marshalling duties for you :) .. I plan on being there by 8am again

DJ
3rd November 2009, 14:47
thanks guys .. come down early & we may have some marshalling duties for you :) .. I plan on being there by 8am again

These early hours are not healthy for my sleep system LOL :sleep:
I'll try and be there early to help out and generally cause parking chaos. :yes:
Hopefully the weather is good for the day. :cold:

Gixxer 4 ever
3rd November 2009, 17:25
come down early

Early….. hahahahaha :Oops: Is 8am early in P/North?

We are looking at our plans at the moment and realise we will all need fuel by the time we get to P/North or Levin. We have a plan in place and are sure it will work. However I allocated 2 hours 15 minutes for the ride to P/North from here. And as we have to ride at the legal speed we could use the 15 minutes I have up my sleeve for fuel stops. So if we had a rider assigned to our group we could arrive at 9 and ride out with a lead bike as soon as we arrive.

We are also going to fill up in Levin so we have plenty of fuel to get out of Wellington before we need to fill again. Should you let the local Levin fuel stop know there could be a few bikes wanting fuel at 9.45ish? They might need to put on a staff member for half an hour. I would recomand people use cash for fuel as it will make for a faster transactions and pump turnaround.

bogan
3rd November 2009, 18:15

We are looking at our plans at the moment and realise we will all need fuel by the time we get to P/North or Levin. We have a plan in place and are sure it will work. However I allocated 2 hours 15 minutes for the ride to P/North from here. And as we have to ride at the legal speed we could use the 15 minutes I have up my sleeve for fuel stops. So if we had a rider assigned to our group we could arrive at 9 and ride out with a lead bike as soon as we arrive.

We are also going to fill up in Levin so we have plenty of fuel to get out of Wellington before we need to fill again. Should you let the local Levin fuel stop know there could be a few bikes wanting fuel at 9.45ish? They might need to put on a staff member for half an hour. I would recomand people use cash for fuel as it will make for a faster transactions and pump turnaround.

theres a couple of fuel stations on main st on the way into palmy (lhs of course, a caltex then a bp) Most bikes wouldnt need a refuel in levin as welli is only bout 150km from palmy, and going a bit slower down will only help the fuel economy :scooter:

Im sure we can find a lead rider or two for you guys, Ill probably be leaving later and catching up somwhere on the way to levin as I will open up the carpark again and hand in the key before I leave.

mowgli
3rd November 2009, 18:31
Most bikes wouldnt need a refuel in levin as welli is only bout 150km from palmy, and going a bit slower down will only help the fuel economy :scooter:
Hmmm I think I might bungee a 4l can of fuel to my pack rack. With all those bikes, what are the chances someone runs out a gas?

Gixxer 4 ever
3rd November 2009, 21:16
Hmmm I think I might bungee a 4l can of fuel to my pack rack. With all those bikes, what are the chances someone runs out a gas?

Make it part of your rider briefing. It will not help the flow if any bikes run out of fuel. It is a bit harder to get fuel in Wellingtons CBD so if the bikes are full in Levin we will all get out of town to refuel on the way home. But that’s me just planning ahead

chanceyy
3rd November 2009, 21:19

theres a couple of fuel stations on main st on the way into palmy (lhs of course, a caltex then a bp) Most bikes wouldnt need a refuel in levin as welli is only bout 150km from palmy, and going a bit slower down will only help the fuel economy :scooter:

Im sure we can find a lead rider or two for you guys, Ill probably be leaving later and catching up somwhere on the way to levin as I will open up the carpark again and hand in the key before I leave.

wot Bogan says Steve .. if you fill in Palmy as your heading into square you will have plenty of gas to get you all the way to wellywood & a wee way back out again ..

Levin is approx 50 ks fr palmerston, and welly is about 80 - 100ks

Opps should add there is self service petrol next door to where we are meeting (supermarket pumps)

Gixxer 4 ever
3rd November 2009, 21:19

Cheers, thank you. i think we are ready to go now. Can't think of anything else we need to sort out.

mowgli
3rd November 2009, 21:23
and welly is about 80 - 100ks
Always amuses me that... slowest 100km stretch of SH1 in the country I reckon :no:

chanceyy
3rd November 2009, 21:27
Cheers, thank you. i think we are ready to go now. Can't think of anything else we need to sort out.

yup we (the other co ordinators, bogan & police) will have meeting to sort it all .. if you get to palmerston & then levin everything will be organised :yes: as best as it possibly can be

chanceyy
3rd November 2009, 21:31
Always amuses me that... slowest 100km stretch of SH1 in the country I reckon :no:

yeah ya not wrong & prob the most boring ... but it must be done to get to welly :yes:

mowgli
3rd November 2009, 21:33
yeah ya not wrong & prob the most boring ... but it must be done to get to welly :yes:
I doubt the road will be what people remember on the 17th.

sunhuntin
3rd November 2009, 21:40
Opps should add there is self service petrol next door to where we are meeting (supermarket pumps)

is the bp still there? ive got a feeling its gone, but could be wrong. theres a shell in levin isnt there? planning on fuelling as i get into town, so should have enough to get me into welly and back out again.

sorry chick... didnt see your earlier message for me til just now. guess its obvious what ride im not doing. lol.

chanceyy
3rd November 2009, 21:41
I doubt the road will be what people remember on the 17th.

:laugh: to true that :yes:

chanceyy
3rd November 2009, 21:45
is the bp still there? ive got a feeling its gone, but could be wrong. theres a shell in levin isnt there? planning on fuelling as i get into town, so should have enough to get me into welly and back out again.

sorry chick... didnt see your earlier message for me til just now. guess its obvious what ride im not doing. lol.

ok coming in from foxton you will have mobil on the left .. caltex couple hundred meters futher on and on the right, both BP (cafe) and Shell are south of our meeting point both on the right . As stated there are petrol pumps at next door to our meeting site, eftpos only but rather handy if a fill up is needed

and figured it you were only coming for 17th but then was not sure with your post :laugh:

DJ
3rd November 2009, 23:46
cheers, most likely will

Sweet - just drop me a PM or something if you do. :)

AD345
4th November 2009, 19:42
Sweet!

Looks like I'll be riding with the Palmy mob and I should be able to look out my window and see the meeting point.

Any chance to reduce the possibility of getting lost is gonna be good

XP@
6th November 2009, 22:37

It's 92km's from my place to work, so Parliament would be a km or so less than that.
Takes 1hr 10mins in the morning if you stickish to the speed limits.
If you don't stick to the speed limits it takes a lot longer :angry: (especially just north of Otaki). And yup it is probably the least interesting bit or road in NZ! Yeah for MP3 players!
On the brighter side taking the detour via piecock hill does not add any time to your journey, It does however make a noticeable difference to tank range. But you do need to watch out as it is well policed especially in mornings and evenings. :innocent:

Which reminds me to get back on topic... Is there any help needed at FatBoyz, I am used to being on the road a bit earlier so I can do meet and greet for the insomniacs or really keen.

chanceyy
7th November 2009, 03:44
It's 92km's from my place to work, so Parliament would be a km or so less than that.
Takes 1hr 10mins in the morning if you stickish to the speed limits.
If you don't stick to the speed limits it takes a lot longer :angry: (especially just north of Otaki). And yup it is probably the least interesting bit or road in NZ! Yeah for MP3 players!
On the brighter side taking the detour via piecock hill does not add any time to your journey, It does however make a noticeable difference to tank range. But you do need to watch out as it is well policed especially in mornings and evenings. :innocent:

Which reminds me to get back on topic... Is there any help needed at FatBoyz, I am used to being on the road a bit earlier so I can do meet and greet for the insomniacs or really keen.

be great if you can come down early .. we will need a few marshalls I am thinking .. will post more aft meeting next week .. just waiting for confirmation everyone can make it .

Elysium
10th November 2009, 19:45
What's parking going to be like on the 17th? I can imagine a lot of riders in Wellington that day so have they orgainised where the bikers are going to park?

Ixion
10th November 2009, 19:51
Shit. D' y' know, no-one thought of that. Odd that the topic hasn't come up anywhere either.

chanceyy
10th November 2009, 21:02
:laugh: Ixion ..

parking is at the stadium for the hutt & police college convoys .. all for a gold coin donation for wellington free ambulance, the walk is about 200 meters or less to Parliment .. if you know your bike leaks oil make sure you bring newspaper & put in bins aft .. (do not overlube your chains either)

Stoney & crew have to do a clean up afterwards & get a waterblaster in so all bikers help in making sure they leave no rubbish oil or rubber would be most appreciated

Elysium
11th November 2009, 04:06
:laugh: Ixion ..

parking is at the stadium for the hutt & police college convoys .. all for a gold coin donation for wellington free ambulance, the walk is about 200 meters or less to Parliment .. if you know your bike leaks oil make sure you bring newspaper & put in bins aft .. (do not overlube your chains either)

Stoney & crew have to do a clean up afterwards & get a waterblaster in so all bikers help in making sure they leave no rubbish oil or rubber would be most appreciated

Oh cool, so long as I know there is a place to park the bike somewhere. I asume we can leave anytime as well so there aint locked gates?

chanceyy
11th November 2009, 06:11
Oh cool, so long as I know there is a place to park the bike somewhere. I asume we can leave anytime as well so there aint locked gates?

as far as I am aware they will not be locked .. stoney will prob be along later to confirm

mykro
11th November 2009, 09:10
I can help put posters up in levin if anyone has got any... Mrs works @ countdown so we can put something up on notice board. There's a notice board in the mall too... Haven't seen any posters up anywhere..!!!:argh:

chanceyy
11th November 2009, 12:04
I can help put posters up in levin if anyone has got any... Mrs works @ countdown so we can put something up on notice board. There's a notice board in the mall too... Haven't seen any posters up anywhere..!!!:argh:

hmmm interesting .. will follow that up with meeting tonite with the other co ordinators thanks

Hopeful Bastard
11th November 2009, 13:46
I stuck a bright yellow one in the mall not so long ago.. Wonder if it has moved on :blink:

Leviticus
11th November 2009, 15:14
Saw one in a shop on Hokio beach road, and there are 2 on my work van

Elysium
11th November 2009, 15:32
Well so far it looks like around 350ish riders signed up so far. Wonder how many non signed bkers will show up on the day.

chanceyy
12th November 2009, 19:54
ok guys the final details are very close ..but the main info for leaving from Levin is (Bogan will be along with palmy info when he can)

we will have 3 leaving times (numbers dependant- of course )

first ride brief 9am a group of experienced riders to leave 9.15am
2nd ride brief 9.20 and the newbie/slow rider group will be leaving at 9.35am
last ride brief is at 9.45 with the final group leaving at 10am sharp

the reason for sending an early experienced group is due to a large amount of pea metal that will be on the road prior to otaki, with a large group they will "sweep" the road slightly for the newbie/slow group to head through next. All groups will have lead riders & marshals and be riding at road legal speeds .. the ride will be slow at times, more about that at the ride brief

if we have any slow/newbie riders at the last group they will ride directly behind the lead riders and we will have TEC that will not be passed by the experienced group at the rear ..

if you would like to be in a particular group please see one of the marshals in the high vis vests so we can best direct & park you accordingly

we will have marshals directing parking & the newbie/ slow group will be directed to park at the Salvation Army hall across the road so they can leave easily

We have the police assisting from 9am to 10am to get the groups safely across SH 1.

we will join up with others at Papakowhai (by the police college) at that point we will have a police escort to the stadium, parking is on Fran Wilde walkway and a gold coin donation with all proceeds to wellington free ambulance, this is only 150 mtrs from parliment.

If your bike is known to leak oil plz bring some newpaper to hook under your bike as the wellington coordinators have to get the concrete water blasted after the event is over & any oil or rubber has to be cleaned up

Any questions plz ask and we will do our best to answer them

mowgli
12th November 2009, 20:27
.... parking is on Fran Wilde walkway ....
On the walkway? That's FMS :2thumbsup:

chanceyy
12th November 2009, 20:31
On the walkway? That's FMS :2thumbsup:

yeah its never happened before, so damn great work by stoneY :clap:

sunhuntin
12th November 2009, 21:01
ok coming in from foxton you will have mobil on the left .. caltex couple hundred meters futher on and on the right, both BP (cafe) and Shell are south of our meeting point both on the right . As stated there are petrol pumps at next door to our meeting site, eftpos only but rather handy if a fill up is needed

and figured it you were only coming for 17th but then was not sure with your post :laugh:

sweet as... gonna call into savemart before meeting up with you guys, so will hit shell before heading back. im gonna bungy cord my fluoro to the top box so i can wear my shirt... will that be ok as TEC?

Well so far it looks like around 350ish riders signed up so far. Wonder how many non signed bkers will show up on the day.

there will be about 15 non KB riders from wanganui.

Hopeful Bastard
12th November 2009, 21:09
sweet as... gonna call into savemart before meeting up with you guys, so will hit shell before heading back. im gonna bungy cord my fluoro to the top box so i can wear my shirt... will that be ok as TEC?

there will be about 15 non KB riders from wanganui.

BP is about a 20 second walk from savemart

<iframe width="425" height="240" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps/sv?cbp=12,251.91,,0,18.12&amp;cbll=-40.629149,175.279597&amp;panoid=&amp;v=1&amp;hl=en&amp;gl="></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=Mako+Mako+R oad+New+Zealand&amp;sll=37.0625,-95.677068&amp;sspn=34.671324,79.013672&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=&amp;hne ar=Mako+Mako+Rd,+Levin,+5510,+New+Zealand&amp;ll=-40.623482,175.266271&amp;spn=0.002027,0.004823&amp;t=h&amp;z=1 8&amp;layer=c&amp;cbll=-40.629149,175.279597&amp;panoid=5cs5dWSvzW1piwIIv0e_uQ &amp;cbp=12,251.91,,0,18.12" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

That white building beside the alchy store is Savemart. The works that are going on is BP

chanceyy
12th November 2009, 21:26
im gonna bungy cord my fluoro to the top box so i can wear my shirt... will that be ok as TEC?

no biggie its what I plan on doing. be two lead riders two TEC for the newbie group

sunhuntin
12th November 2009, 21:27
BP is about a 20 second walk from savemart

That white building beside the alchy store is Savemart. The works that are going on is BP

cheers, but i prefer v power. *snob* LOL.

cheers, chanceyy. :) top stuff!

Hopeful Bastard
12th November 2009, 21:45
Dont blame ya.. Might head down to Shell and put some 98 into the bike and see how it runs. It smells like the guy i bought it off was running 95.

Just up the road from that picture, Is the aforementioned toilets at the park.. Not sure if they will be open. They should be though

XP@
12th November 2009, 22:29
the reason for sending an early experienced group is due to a large amount of pea metal that will be on the road prior to otaki, with a large group they will "sweep" the road slightly for the newbie/slow group to head through next.

Most of it is cleaned up now, by Tuesday it will not be a problem .... unless they dump another load on. I will be able to report on it from Monday night unless anyone is coming up from Otaki in the morning.

I would watch out where the new stuff is because it is already showing signs of balding! they have, as usual, done a bollox job.

chanceyy
13th November 2009, 05:37
Most of it is cleaned up now, by Tuesday it will not be a problem .... unless they dump another load on. I will be able to report on it from Monday night unless anyone is coming up from Otaki in the morning.

I would watch out where the new stuff is because it is already showing signs of balding! they have, as usual, done a bollox job.

cheers XP thought I might go for a cruise on sat/sun to check out the state of roadworks between otaki & palmerston north so can give updates to the other organisers, as some are travelling on monday but will be great to have another update on the morn :clap:

how far is the stretch at Otaki? is it all one run or several different ones

davereid
13th November 2009, 07:09

Thanks XP, let us know... I spoke to some fella at Fulton Hogan, he assured me that it would be open both lanes all the way, but it was likely to have a fresh coat of pea gravel.

So feed back on the day would be great.

bogan
13th November 2009, 07:25
Current plan is to assemble in the square between 8 and 9 (before 8:30 would be ideal)

Send the newbie riders off to Levin via himatangi block rd at 8:40, marshalled by DJ, Owl and oscarnz. As riders start to turn up we can identiy the 250 riders and put them in the newbie group if required

So far we have four other marshals; Banditrider, Mowgli, Bogan, 86GSXR, Monamie, Meanie, and Cowboyz. That'll be enough for two experienced rider groups (1 lead and two TEC's per group). Thanks to all the marshals that have volunteered so far :2thumbsup

The plan is to send one experienced group away around the same time as the newbie group (provided there are enough riders) and the last group leaves at 9am sharp. Ive got someone to take care of the bollards etc for me, so ill be a TEC for the last group. Both experienced groups will take the normal way to levin, and deal with the roadworks, at posted roadworks speeds.

If numbers arent as high as we hope we can always combine groups etc, will see what happens on the day.

Will be rider breifing before each group leaves, I think chanceyy may be posting a copy of the breifings up here sometime this weekend

The HB group are bypassing Palmerston, so this should keep the numbers leaving Palmerston to a more manageable amount

XP@
13th November 2009, 09:04
So are they putting more down?
They have not done a patch at the top near the parking area or at the bottom of the dip where the north bound goes in to the passing lane (lethal in the wet if you try and take the left lane!).

If they do the bottom then it could interesting. Shoul riders be told to keep moving through the gravel - noob reaction is to slow down but this makes it harder...

Elysium
13th November 2009, 10:09
Cool, sounds like a good plan.

DJ
13th November 2009, 12:09
Current plan is to assemble in the square between 8 and 9 (before 8:30 would be ideal)

Send the newbie riders off to Levin via himatangi block rd at 8:40, marshalled by DJ, Owl and oscarnz. As riders start to turn up we can identiy the 250 riders and put them in the newbie group if required

So far we have four other marshals; Banditrider, Mowgli, Bogan, 86GSXR and Monamie. If we can get another one that'll be enough for two experienced rider groups (1 lead and two TEC's per group). Thanks to all the marshals that have volunteered so far :2thumbsup

If we get enough marshals for two experienced groups the plan is to send one away around the same time as the newbie group (provided there are enough riders) and the last group leaves at 9am sharp. Ive got someone to take care of the bollards etc for me, so ill be a TEC for the last group. Both experienced groups will take the normal way to levin, and deal with the roadworks, at posted roadworks speeds.

The HB group are bypassing Palmerston, so this should keep the numbers leaving Palmerston to a more manageable amount

Sounds great! Anyone contacted the Manawatu Standard and told them there is going to be a congregation of bikers in the Square that morning? More public awareness the better. :) I can flick them an email if no-one has yet.

Meanie
13th November 2009, 12:16

So far we have four other marshals; Banditrider, Mowgli, Bogan, 86GSXR and Monamie. If we can get another one that'll be enough for two experienced rider groups (1 lead and two TEC's per group). Thanks to all the marshals that have volunteered so far :2thumbsup

If we get enough marshals for two experienced groups the plan is to send one away around the same time as the newbie group (provided there are enough riders) and the last group leaves at 9am sharp. Ive got someone to take care of the bollards etc for me, so ill be a TEC for the last group. Both experienced groups will take the normal way to levin, and deal with the roadworks, at posted roadworks speeds.

I can help with marshalling if you need, and ill volunteer cowboyz, pretty sure hes coming

Elysium
13th November 2009, 12:19
So the usual suspects then? :woohoo:

bogan
13th November 2009, 12:22
Sounds great! Anyone contacted the Manawatu Standard and told them there is going to be a congregation of bikers in the Square that morning? More public awareness the better. :) I can flick them an email if no-one has yet.

nah I havent contacted them, they took a bit much creative license with my last interview, also, thier scooter delivery riders are crazy! but would probably be a good idea if they were notified, Ill leave it up to you :2thumbsup

I can help with marshalling if you need, and ill volunteer cowboyz, pretty sure hes coming

sweet, thatll be enough for the two groups then :woohoo:

Updated the above post to reflect this, and some other extra info.

DJ
13th November 2009, 12:37
nah I havent contacted them, they took a bit much creative license with my last interview, also, thier scooter delivery riders are crazy! but would probably be a good idea if they were notified, Ill leave it up to you

Just dropped the editor an email - also pointed them in direction of kiwibiker web site. I hope there is a good turnout in the Square, or else it'll look silly hahaha (headline - Only 10 Bike Turnout protesting ACC fees) LOL
:doh:

Elysium
13th November 2009, 14:55
Do any of you guys register on the national BIKEOI? Just seems so few in numb ers signed up so far.

XP@
13th November 2009, 17:56
I've just come home from welly at 90kph, turning my stop watch on at Porirua and being really careful to keep under 90.

Time from Porirua was exactly 1hr to Levin.
I didn't have to put my feet down but was slowed in a few places.

chanceyy
13th November 2009, 23:07
Do any of you guys register on the national BIKEOI? Just seems so few in numb ers signed up so far.

yeah but you have to remember this is national not just kb, I know quite a few outside clubs are coming so they would not have registered

I've just come home from welly at 90kph, turning my stop watch on at Porirua and being really careful to keep under 90.

Time from Porirua was exactly 1hr to Levin.
I didn't have to put my feet down but was slowed in a few places.

Yeah James we did the test run the other sat for the Ulysses run, group of 40+ riders & did 1 hour exactly & we were doing around 80-95 k being a tues will work better for us ..

checked out gravel at opiki tonite pretty lumpy & a few holes looks like they are digging down to put a new base down but prob better for those not confident to go himitangi block rd

a few areas of pea gravel just sth of shannon but pretty much should be ok by tues

Elysium
14th November 2009, 05:59
Yeah the gravel south of Shannon wasn' bad when I hit it last Saturday, just make sure you're riding in the tyre lines leaved by cars.

Anyway what's the wind going to be like in the Welly area on Tuesday?

sunhuntin
14th November 2009, 06:34
yeah but you have to remember this is national not just kb, I know quite a few outside clubs are coming so they would not have registered

article in todays rag says there are about 50 riders from wanganui coming. photo and article idea was from bob walker, who is a counciller and former acc employee. photo was laughable... great big goldwing with a confederate flag on the back. :blink: that group is leaving at 9am, to meet up with the group at the police college... dunno about them getting there on time, since he said "all were welcome." theres no way i would be able to keep up on my 250.

davereid
14th November 2009, 08:29
There will be another issue at Mana.

NZTA will be assisting by putting the lights on the longest green phase they can, but they can't change the T2 lane.

By the time we go through, there will be cars parked in the left of the two lanes, so bikers - keep right once you get to Mana, or you will have to do a sudden lane change when you encounter a parked car !

chanceyy
14th November 2009, 08:45
There will be another issue at Mana.

NZTA will be assisting by putting the lights on the longest green phase they can, but they can't change the T2 lane.

By the time we go through, there will be cars parked in the left of the two lanes, so bikers - keep right once you get to Mana, or you will have to do a sudden lane change when you encounter a parked car !

cool as Dave, will add that to the riders brief :clap:

DJ
14th November 2009, 10:34
Bit off topic - but decided to dress the bike up for the occasion this week.
Best dozen beers ever spent :)

yungatart
14th November 2009, 10:45
Blardy brilliant mate!!!

Elysium
14th November 2009, 11:25
Wish I can get this put onto the back of my bike under the number plate but I have no printer to print it off. You're graphic artist there DJ?

Owl
14th November 2009, 11:31
Bit off topic - but decided to dress the bike up for the occasion this week.
Best dozen beers ever spent :)

Mint! You'll be easy to find then:laugh:

DJ
14th November 2009, 14:00
Wish I can get this put onto the back of my bike under the number plate but I have no printer to print it off. You're graphic artist there DJ?

I used to be one many moons ago, not any more though. But the bike was done by my brother who usually does car signwriting.
Unfortunately he didn't have enough time to fully wrap the bike, and I wanted it free/cheap/doz beers. LOL

DJ
14th November 2009, 14:01
Mint! You'll be easy to find then:laugh:

Damn! Now I can't hide behind my gears and tinted visor doing wheelies up the steps of parliament.... think DJ...think.... :laugh:

chanceyy
14th November 2009, 14:02
awesome job DJ :clap:

pea gravel just south of shannon has been swept today so only a wee bit left

from gorge down is clear at moment

Toaster
14th November 2009, 14:15

Brilliant. Love the irony of the tank being used for the ACC vehicle of choice.

BMWST?
14th November 2009, 14:32
the mana t2 lane can be used if you stick to single file...can fit between parked cars on the left and the rh lane

chanceyy
14th November 2009, 14:44
the mana t2 lane can be used if you stick to single file...can fit between parked cars on the left and the rh lane

yeah but being that the groups will be rather large its prob safer just to stick to right lane .. if the lights are on a long phase that will help to keep the groups running smooth ..

Headbanger
14th November 2009, 15:22
article in todays rag says there are about 50 riders from wanganui coming. photo and article idea was from bob walker, who is a counciller and former acc employee. photo was laughable... great big goldwing with a confederate flag on the back..

Just got the paper, That photo maybe the greatest photo I have ever seen.

sunhuntin
14th November 2009, 15:24
that looks great dj! i vote you for most dedicated. lol.

as for the transit lane... i never use that anyways... only time ive used was when there werent meant to be any cars parked, but there were. i couldnt fit comfortably, so remerged. and my folks had the exact same problem in the car.

mowgli
15th November 2009, 17:06
FMS turnout for HB yesterday. Overall fantastic spectacle so a big congrats to yungatart. Couple of learning points that we can apply to Tuesday in our rider briefs.
#1 No overtaking - full stop! We're all going to the same place so it's unnecessary.
#2 Don't set off with the bike ahead - give yourself a few meters space.

Regarding #2, closest I saw to an oops was where everyone was pulling out together. Guy a few ahead looks over his shoulder just as the bike ahead of him misses a gear or something. Looks back and his reactions were spot on. He missed the bike ahead and avoided an off but he scared the bejezus out of the bikes around him.

chanceyy
15th November 2009, 17:32
FMS turnout for HB yesterday. Overall fantastic spectacle so a big congrats to yungatart. Couple of learning points that we can apply to Tuesday in our rider briefs.
#1 No overtaking - full stop! We're all going to the same place so it's unnecessary.
#2 Don't set off with the bike ahead - give yourself a few meters space.

Regarding #2, closest I saw to an oops was where everyone was pulling out together. Guy a few ahead looks over his shoulder just as the bike ahead of him misses a gear or something. Looks back and his reactions were spot on. He missed the bike ahead and avoided an off but he scared the bejezus out of the bikes around him.

Cheers Rob its already in the riders brief :yes: .. that was one of the rules for the run a few weeks ago & worked brilliantly .. along with no passing of the TEC of the slow group directly behind the leader.

Even though we have a slow group leaving early chances are some late comers may be slower riders, as the pace upfront is slow its the best place for them & again worked well

we are also asking for a 2 sec stagger of the main group & at least 3 for the slow group

Other information will be covered in the ride brief

Hopeful Bastard
15th November 2009, 17:49
I'll be doing at least 4!

Writing with stoney as a speak Chanceyy.

uhm now what was i gonna say!!??:blank:

Oh yeah thats right. Just before Lyndale, There is a nice Pothole type thing starting. It is in the left hand lane just up the road from the Overpass at lyndale. You may want to include this in your Briefing Sandra :)

DJ
16th November 2009, 09:09
Just had a call from the Standard - they didnt get back to me friday, but the reporter said she has already written something for todays paper.
Apparently they are going to send a photographer to the Square after 8am tomorrow.

Make sure ya bikes are all polished and looking shiny! :)

bogan
16th November 2009, 09:29
Just had a call from the Standard - they didnt get back to me friday, but the reporter said she has already written something for todays paper.
Apparently they are going to send a photographer to the Square after 8am tomorrow.

yip, planning on giving mine a good wash tonight

Owl
16th November 2009, 11:10

Yep, even cleaned my chain:D

Elysium
16th November 2009, 14:51
Right just to confirm that we meet at the Square carpark around 8am Tues?

DJ
16th November 2009, 15:07

I'm aiming for that time.
Damn - I should have booked a coffee stand or something. painful time to be up and about LOL
:zzzz:

Elysium
16th November 2009, 15:10
I'm aiming for that time.
Damn - I should have booked a coffee stand or something. painful time to be up and about LOL
:zzzz:

Well Mc D's used to be across the road until they relocated so counts them out. Might have to go on the liquid stims (V)

DJ
16th November 2009, 15:13
damn - from my office just off Rangitikei, I saw a pile of bikes go past not long ago.
Now I can hear what sounds like bikes going down Rang.

I'm feeling like a kid who can't go out and play in the snow with the other kids until I've done my homework. LOL

:crybaby:

Elysium
16th November 2009, 15:16
damn - from my office just off Rangitikei, I saw a pile of bikes go past not long ago.
Now I can hear what sounds like bikes going down Rang.

I'm feeling like a kid who can't go out and play in the snow with the other kids until I've done my homework. LOL

:crybaby:

Yeah I heard what must have been a herd of Harley's last night going down Rangitikei on their way to Wellington perhaps. On my way home from work I only saw one Bemmer so maybe the bikers will arrive late.

phantom
16th November 2009, 15:17
The coffee cart that parks in the square near Highflyers should be there by 8 ( hopefully)

yungatart
16th November 2009, 15:42
Chanceyy, send me a txt telling me what time you want us in Levin...heading south now....

bogan
16th November 2009, 15:56

yup, slight change of plans re bollard keys etc, they dont want to give me keys so council will set it up making space for bikes to get in/out but not cars, if they cock it up, just go between and meet there anyways, im aiming to be there 8ish, if you dont wanna get up too early just aim to get there at 8:25, you wont miss anything.

DJ
16th November 2009, 16:15
yup, slight change of plans re bollard keys etc, they dont want to give me keys so council will set it up making space for bikes to get in/out but not cars, if they cock it up, just go between and meet there anyways, im aiming to be there 8ish, if you dont wanna get up too early just aim to get there at 8:25, you wont miss anything.

Are they opening up the bollards on Main street or Rang, or both?
(probably easier to funnel the bikes in groups out of the main street exit)

I'm still aiming 8ish to be there if you need help with anything.

86GSXR
16th November 2009, 16:23
Important news flash! I believe the Coffee Club on the eastern side of the Square is open nice and early. Well, it better be...............

Owl
16th November 2009, 16:33
Important news flash! I believe the Coffee Club on the eastern side of the Square is open nice and early. Well, it better be...............

Yeah real important!:laugh:

banditrider
16th November 2009, 16:35
yip, planning on giving mine a good wash tonight

Mine's got 1 clean mirror, is that enough? Stuff doing the chain though...

Elysium
16th November 2009, 16:36

You must have important contacts.

bogan
16th November 2009, 16:59
Are they opening up the bollards on Main street or Rang, or both?
(probably easier to funnel the bikes in groups out of the main street exit)

I'm still aiming 8ish to be there if you need help with anything.

hopefully they are opening all of them up, specifically asked for the main st one to be opened up, so should be nice and easy to send the groups out, probly get the TECs to hold hold traffic until the main body has all got away on through the roundabout

Elysium
16th November 2009, 17:10
Question on fuel stops, do we stop for fuel on our own or are there planned fuel stops? Just working out the range for my Firestorm and would need to re-fuel before Welly.

DJ
16th November 2009, 17:15
Question on fuel stops, do we stop for fuel on our own or are there planned fuel stops? Just working out the range for my Firestorm and would need to re-fuel before Welly.

I can make welly and back to shannon on my BB 2-up, but if I run short I think I can flip open the fuel tank at 100km/hr and aim carefully..... (kill 2 birds with one stone)...
:shifty: :laugh:

bogan
16th November 2009, 17:16

theres no mass planned fuel stop, it would overload any fuel station and cause massive delays, fill up in levin before the riders breif if you can, otherwise just stop wherever and join up with another group.

Owl
16th November 2009, 17:25

You can't get to Welly on a tank?:laugh:

I thought mine was thirsty.

Maha
16th November 2009, 17:29

I had the same question asked on Saturday just before we left on the protest ride, we were at a BP Autobahn and the ride was 130 km's. I said ''no fuel stops''.

Elysium
16th November 2009, 17:33

I thought mine was thirsty.

I can get to Welly, just want to make sure I have the fuel to ride around town and enough to last me while I'm stuck in traffic trying to get home. Dam bike is thirsty even when Idling.

chanceyy
16th November 2009, 18:27
I can get to Welly, just want to make sure I have the fuel to ride around town and enough to last me while I'm stuck in traffic trying to get home. Dam bike is thirsty even when Idling.

there are supermarket fuel pumps next to meeting point in Levin, that should get you out & a good portion back up the line if not home :)

Elysium
16th November 2009, 18:29
I see they want all bikers(Welly area) to meet at sanson so I take it we go there stright from Palmy?

chanceyy
16th November 2009, 18:42
I see they want all bikers(Welly area) to meet at sanson so I take it we go there stright from Palmy?

thats not quite the case, the crew that have come down fr up north will meet at sanson & are due in Levin at 9.40 to join the group heading down from palmerston & other districts

there will be groups leaving the square & sanson .. however from Levin at 10am will be one huge arsed group :)

those doing marshalling duties from palmerston down are you free to assist with marshalling down to police college plz ?

AD345
16th November 2009, 18:42

Why the hell would we go all the way back up there?

banditrider
16th November 2009, 18:43
Yes, it would be nice to have a pre-briefing briefing :doh:

Would be nice to get a google map or detailed directions for marshals. I've been through Papokowhai (sp) before but don't want to mess things up...

If someone gives me the route or routes I can make up a GPS file if anyone wants one. (Yes, I know it's a pretty easy ride but just want to make sure everything goes well).

Before we even leave I'd just like to say a big thanks to all the work done so far by all the organisers! You guys are fantastic!

banditrider
16th November 2009, 18:43
those doing marshalling duties from palmerston down are you free to assist with marshalling down to police college plz ?

No problemo.

Elysium
16th November 2009, 18:45
Why the hell would we go all the way back up there?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=112640
First post confused me a bit as I think of Sanson being north of me.

AD345
16th November 2009, 18:48
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=112640
First post confused me a bit as I think of Sanson being north of me.

Pffft

Not for me. I want to have breakfast.

chanceyy
16th November 2009, 18:50
Yes, it would be nice to have a pre-briefing briefing :doh:

Would be nice to get a google map or detailed directions for marshals. I've been through Papokowhai (sp) before but don't want to mess things up...

If someone gives me the route or routes I can make up a GPS file if anyone wants one. (Yes, I know it's a pretty easy ride but just want to make sure everything goes well).

Before we even leave I'd just like to say a big thanks to all the work done so far by all the organisers! You guys are fantastic!

riders brief is already to go and will have a quick brief with the marshalls essentially we need marshalls interspaced in the main pack if it gets split out then that marshal becomes the group leader, there will be no passing just everyone to get in their slot & stay there, its no race & we are all going to the same destination

easy as to find Andrew & thanks :) the large roundabout at mana, head on motorway & the first sets of lights (before porirua) is a free turn left, its double lanes up the hill just stay in the left lane & by that time I reckon you will know where to go bikes bikes & more bikes will be a dead giveaway lol

will find the link with the map and add here in a min

mowgli
16th November 2009, 19:16
Yup. No probs. Will break out the yellow vest.

easy as to find Andrew & thanks :) the large roundabout at mana, head on motorway & the first sets of lights (before porirua) is a free turn left, its double lanes up the hill just stay in the left lane & by that time I reckon you will know where to go bikes bikes & more bikes will be a dead giveaway lol
Funny :lol: I assumed we'd all come off at Paramata roundabout and follow Papakowhai road. No need for formation U-turns at Police College :yes:

chanceyy
16th November 2009, 19:30
Yup. No probs. Will break out the yellow vest.

Funny :lol: I assumed we'd all come off at Paramata roundabout and follow Papakowhai road. No need for formation U-turns at Police College :yes:

cheers Rob .. can you pm me your cell # plz

I relied on local knowledge and apparently going off at paramatta is not a good idea esp with convoy, the road is very narrow and quite congested so would pose far more probs than just simply making one turn at the lights

so for simplicity we will stay on main route

DJ
16th November 2009, 19:33
riders brief is already to go and will have a quick brief with the marshalls essentially we need marshalls interspaced in the main pack if it gets split out then that marshal becomes the group leader, there will be no passing just everyone to get in their slot & stay there, its no race & we are all going to the same destination

I'll have a bright vest with me, so if you are short of people I can do something :)

Owl
16th November 2009, 19:35

I'll do newbie TEC down there!

mowgli
16th November 2009, 19:48
cheers Rob .. can you pm me your cell # plz
I relied on local knowledge and apparently going off at paramatta is not a good idea esp with convoy, the road is very narrow and quite congested so would pose far more probs than just simply making one turn at the lights
so for simplicity we will stay on main route
Sorry about that. Floating ideas at this late stage can lead to confusion. Shoulda got along to one of those organising thingamagigs.

sunhuntin
16th November 2009, 19:52

greetings, fellow TECker. lol.

chanceyy
16th November 2009, 19:55
ok it helps not to pull the cord out when ya about to reply so trying this again

I'll have a bright vest with me, so if you are short of people I can do something :)

Cheers DJ, we will have about 15 spare vests for those who may get roped into marshalling duties .. really depends on number & a few loose ends that are being tied up tonite

thanks Owl .. I have a plan for the slow/newbie group so several TEC .. I have one already for the L platers, and already had you down for the slow & restricted riders group :clap:

Sorry about that. Floating ideas at this late stage can lead to confusion. Shoulda got along to one of those organising thingamagigs.

hmm no worries Rob ... next time I will add your name to the mix :lol:

Beemer
16th November 2009, 19:55
thats not quite the case, the crew that have come down fr up north will meet at sanson & are due in Levin at 9.40 to join the group heading down from palmerston & other districts

there will be groups leaving the square & sanson .. however from Levin at 10am will be one huge arsed group :)

Best you all be ready to smile for the camera again! Not sure where I'll get a photo from this time, Ohau worked last time but may try for something different this time. Would love to be up high but Levin is sadly lacking in high rises with balconies...

The other half is going but I've got meetings I've got to cover tomorrow so have to work. I'll be there in spirit!

chanceyy
16th November 2009, 20:03
Best you all be ready to smile for the camera again! Not sure where I'll get a photo from this time, Ohau worked last time but may try for something different this time. Would love to be up high but Levin is sadly lacking in high rises with balconies...

The other half is going but I've got meetings I've got to cover tomorrow so have to work. I'll be there in spirit!

:lol: wonder about bottom of forrest lakes hill would be a good pic of bikes coming down .. or talk really really really fast to getting a loan of a cherry picker :whistle:

will see Andy there in the morn :clap:

mowgli
16th November 2009, 20:09
Might be a good shot from the pedestrian over bridge at Plimmerton.

Hanne
16th November 2009, 20:10
Hi Palmy guys, I need some help:

Lars Nielsen (National Ride Coordinator) has asked for ALL BIKES within the Sanson to Wellingotn area to meet at Sanson at 8.30am for a 9am departure TOGETHER so that the bikes arrive together.

I understand some bikes are meeting in Palmerston North tomorrow am? Can someone please let me know if other plans have been advertised in Palmy and if so, exacltly what? BRONZ number is 022 646 0312

Ideally all bikes should leave Sanson together (or meet them at 11.30am in Papakowhai). But if other things have been advertised we need to knwo exactly what!

bogan
16th November 2009, 20:13

Lars Nielsen (National Ride Coordinator) has asked for ALL BIKES within the Sanson to Wellingotn area to meet at Sanson at 8.30am for a 9am departure TOGETHER so that the bikes arrive together.

I understand some bikes are meeting in Palmerston North tomorrow am? Can someone please let me know if other plans have been advertised in Palmy and if so, exacltly what? BRONZ number is 022 646 0312

Ideally all bikes should leave Sanson together (or meet them at 11.30am in Papakowhai). But if other things have been advertised we need to knwo exactly what!

far too late to change plans now I'm afraid, we shall all meet at levin well before 10am, leaving from the square (palmy) at 9am latest.

DJ
16th November 2009, 20:22

Is the Sanson lot not going to Levin?

Hanne
16th November 2009, 20:26
Yes, the Sanson crew are going to Levin:

0900 Depart Sanson
Assemble in the parking area at the intersection of SH1 & SH3.
Depart onto SH1.

1000 Depart Levin.
We will be joining the first major group to head into Wellington.

It was the Palmerston North crew in particular that I was asking about.
I am just wanting to know exactly what your plans are and estimated numbers?

Double checking before I pass this info on:
Palmy guys are
1. meeting in Palmy at the square to leave at 9am then
2. heading for Levin to join main ride from there?

Many Thanks,

Hanne

DJ
16th November 2009, 20:31
Yes, the Sanson crew are going to Levin:

0900 Depart Sanson
Assemble in the parking area at the intersection of SH1 & SH3.
Depart onto SH1.
1000 Depart Levin.
We will be joining the first major group to head into Wellington.

It was the Palmerston North crew in particular that I was asking about.
I am just wanting to know exactly what your plans are and estimated numbers?

Double checking before I pass this info on:
Palmy guys are
1. meeting in Palmy at the square to leave at 9am then
2. heading for Levin to join main ride from there?

Many Thanks,

Hanne

1. Some leaving prior to 9am I believe - 8.40 slow/newbies.
2. Yes joining main ride from Levin.

no idea on estimated numbers - maybe someone else has an idea? Maybe check the registration spreadsheet and see how many are listed as leaving from Palmy. :)

Hanne
16th November 2009, 20:32
Thanks, I will let Lars know to expect you at Levin.

Hanne

Mandy
16th November 2009, 20:46
Kind of off topic... but how 'newbie' is the newbie/slow group?

I just got my restricted today :clap: and I'd like to come but I don't want to be too much of a pain in the ass to everyone else...

Elysium
16th November 2009, 20:48
Well it will be mostly 90km/h I'm told and on SH1 so I can't imagine this being hard on the novices. Only the group thing might be hard I surpose.

DJ
16th November 2009, 20:51

I just got my restricted today :clap: and I'd like to come but I don't want to be too much of a pain in the ass to everyone else...

CONGRATS! :rockon: awesome feeling huh? :)

I would think the newbie/slow group to Levin would be 70-80km/hr - but maybe the lead rider would confirm that?

bogan
16th November 2009, 20:56

I would think the newbie/slow group to Levin would be 70-80km/hr - but maybe the lead rider would confirm that?

depends on who is in the slow group, if there is nobody needing to stick to the 70kmhr they can go 90, turn up to the meet, make yourself and riding experience known to the marshals, if you have your restricted you will be less newbie than some im sure

sunhuntin
16th November 2009, 20:56

im a TEC for that group and have restricted as well, but as i am still on a 250, i elected for the slower group. that and im not overly confident in large groups for such a long distance.
mandy... you will be more than welcome if that is where you want to ride. :yes:

chanceyy
16th November 2009, 20:59
hi guys

I have been on the phone with Both Lar's & Hanne. Keeping to the original plan Palmy riders meeting in the square head to Levin as planned

The convoy from Sanson will be converging around the same time the group from Levin is leaving

We have a plan to get everyone moving with minimal disruption, you can all help by listening to the ride brief, have your smokes & toilet breaks & be ready to ride just prior to 10am

Mandy, congrats on your restricted, there is a slow newbie group heading out from palmy & levin, speed will be irrelevant as you will be riding your own ride, but speed will be approx 80 - 90 ks. if you find you can not keep up then ride your own pace, we have TEC (tail end charlies) who will ride to your pace

davereid
16th November 2009, 21:03
Is the Sanson lot not going to Levin?

Yeah everybody is... just a bit of confusion from the Aucklanders as to the layout of the roads...

Which all lead to rome.. or Levin at least !

See you all in the am..

Dave

DJ
16th November 2009, 21:04

im a TEC for that group and have restricted as well, but as i am still on a 250, i elected for the slower group. that and im not overly confident in large groups for such a long distance.

Last I heard I'm also helping marshall the slower group down to Levin as well, and I vividly remember what it's like to be a nervous restricted rider - I'm sure everyone will keep an eye on you :)

If you are still unsure - just turn up to the square in the morning and have a chat to one of us (I should be easy to pick out - the bike with the bullseye) :)

Mandy
16th November 2009, 21:04

Yea... couldn't wait to get those L plates off!!!

Sweet thanks!! Sounds like I will be ok then... see you all tomorrow!!

Hanne
16th November 2009, 21:16
Yeah everybody is... just a bit of confusion from the Aucklanders as to the layout of the roads...

Which all lead to rome.. or Levin at least !

See you all in the am..

Dave

Yep, thanks for clearing things up, Sanson lot are passing through Levin but not stopping. Luckily your wonderful local coordinators from Palmy etc have everything under control!

Best of luck for tomorrow!

Hanne

XP@
16th November 2009, 22:37
Nothing new on the way home from welly to levin tonight.

Forest lakes: the new gravel has been 99% swept away.

Peka-peka: In roadworks (after otaki and just before waikanae) have the small and hard to see bollards on the center line. recommend caution possible single file through that area.

davereid
17th November 2009, 05:47
Sanson lot are passing through Levin but not stopping....Hanne

I sense chaos here lol... IMHO a 5 minute re group would work wonders.

But it wont really matter.. its a 100km to Welly so it will all work itself out.

Good luck to all the riders, see you in a couple of hours.

mowgli
17th November 2009, 06:14
Tuesday
Max: 16 °C Min: 10 °C
(Day) (Overnight)
Fine, some high cloud. Northerly easing for a time.

:clap::woohoo::scooter::wari::done::laugh::msn-wink::banana::2thumbsup:hug:

Elysium
17th November 2009, 06:18
Yep, got the sunglasses polished and cleaned for today :sunny:

banditrider
17th November 2009, 06:25
See you all shortly.

Beemer
17th November 2009, 07:17
Might be a good shot from the pedestrian over bridge at Plimmerton.

Not for me it won't, the papers I work for cover from Pukerua Bay to Tokomaru so a shot of somewhere in Wellington (apart from one at Parliament that the other half is going to get for me) would be rather bizarre!

Forest Lakes may be a goer, but think at this time of the morning the angle of the sun may not work - you''d lost the bikes in the glare. I thought the bridge at Ohau - me on the southern side of it with the bikes curving over the bridge and on the straight.

I did think of a cherry picker but only place that has them is right in the middle of Levin and thought the photo would be crap from their yard, and doubt they'd transport one to where I wanted for free!

I may even head down and try a few locations - could get the first group at one place and the rest at another if that didn't work.

banditrider
17th November 2009, 16:55
Well done everyone, particularly our fantastic organisers!

My pictures are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/andrew.l.thomson/171109ACCProtestRide#

Currently uploading video (could be a while). Even got a Chanceyy speach on tape...

bogan
17th November 2009, 17:00

My pictures are here: http://picasaweb.google.com/andrew.l.thomson/171109ACCProtestRide#

Currently uploading video (could be a while). Even got a Chanceyy speach on tape...

yes, a huge thanks to all that helped organise, marshal, and participate in the ride, was bloody awesome!

nice pics, will grab a copy of those palmy ones at some point, didn't manage to get many myself.

chanceyy
17th November 2009, 17:15

Even got a Chanceyy speach on tape...

:spanking: you can delete that .. no one likes hearing my speeches .. but it had to be done :bleh:

I want to take this opportunity to thank the other organisers Dave Reid, Peter Franklin, Gingin and Bogan who handled Palmy area by himself .. there is no I in team and awesome work guys

we need to also thank Fatboyz for allowing us to meet there, then obviously new world who car park we took over as well for a while .. and the Police in assisting us with getting us out on the road & on our way

lastly thanks to all the riders who turned up, took notice of the ride brief & apart from some outsiders who blasted past the pack, our group behaved extremely well from what I seen ..

thank you to you all, you made the day what it was, and the weather god looked down on us

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

KiwiKat
17th November 2009, 17:26
YEP awesome work, a very successful day and a lot of fun. Thanks organisers and fellow riders.

Hopeful Bastard
17th November 2009, 17:26
I had soo much fun!! :2thumbsup to the Organisers to make sure we all stayed safe. Got down there and back quite happily. Bike also sits quite nicely at 90km on a L plate. :lol: :nono:

Anyone have any news on a crash or anything? My mate who is anti bikes is saying that there was one death, and i will quote him here:

you hear someone died just north of levin?
*fucking idiot motorbiker?
*mum heard it from a trucker that witnessed it.
*plus it was all over the cb's
*someone tryed passing 2 cars.
*bang!

Owl
17th November 2009, 17:28
:spanking: you can delete that .. no one likes hearing my speeches .. but it had to be done :bleh:

But no one does a chanceyy speech like you!:laugh:

I want to take this opportunity to thank the other organisers Dave Reid, Peter Franklin, Gingin and Bogan who handled Palmy area by himself .. there is no I in team and awesome work guys

Actually, there is an I in "Team Bikoi":D

thank you to you all, you made the day what it was, and the weather god looked down on us

Absolutely mint day! Cheers Sandra and everyone else for helping make this day such a success!:2thumbsup