PDA

View Full Version : Who remebers kick starts??

Skyryder
17th April 2005, 19:03
The kick start opera.

http://www.legit.dk/

Skyryder

Two Smoker
17th April 2005, 19:07
REMEMBER THEM??? Ive still got one...:confused:

Jackrat
17th April 2005, 19:12
Was a time that if you couldn't kick start a bike you didn't ride.
Could do with some more of that.
Electric starts are for pussys :shifty:

TonyB
17th April 2005, 20:13
My old man used to have an army Indian as a farm bike. He used to park it in a low roofed shed, and he reckoned that the Indian had a habit of kicking back and throwing him violently into the rafters.
Old bikers always ask me why my bike doesn't have a kick start- would it be possible to kick start a 1 litre in line four?

Ixion
17th April 2005, 20:13
Electric starts are for pussys :shifty:

Yep. Separates the men from the boys.

Full drill for those too young to have done it

Retard ignition
Tickle the carb
Free the clutch
Stand on kickstart lever and take it down until it hits compression.
Let kickstart come back up to top
Lift exhaust valve
Take kickstart through one complete stroke with valve open
Allow kickstart to come back up
Kick start **HARD** . With **ALL** your weight on the lever (one foot on kick start other off the ground, kicking with all the strength of your back and leg. And whatever you do don't let the bike fall over at this point because you have no foot on the ground, so you ahve to balance it)
Absorb impact when kickstart hits compresion (like kicking a brick wall)
Repeat until it starts
*REMEMBER TO ADVANCE THE IGNITION*

Bah. Electric starts, just push a wussy button. Wusses. See what you miss out on nowadays. Bet half of you don't even understand half the above process. (PT). Though the guys with big trailies I guess still have to do the full drill

Yeah, I've still got a kick start bike. :2thumbsup

Big Dave
17th April 2005, 20:18
Electric starts are for pussys

I've always found a bottle of champagne and a bunch of flowers worked better.

Ixion
17th April 2005, 20:24
Old bikers always ask me why my bike doesn't have a kick start- would it be possible to kick start a 1 litre in line four?

Sure would. I've kick started a square four often enough and I reckon an inline would be easier.

Big Dave
17th April 2005, 20:25
would it be possible to kick start a 1 litre in line four?

Very easy. easier than a 250 single. thats all you're compressing at one time and have added momentum of a heavier crank.
I had a SR500 single and a T140 Bonneville, they were much harder to kick over than a Z1000 - I could kick start one of them with me dick :apumpin:

Storm
17th April 2005, 20:32
No need to brag eh 'big " Dave

Kickaha
17th April 2005, 20:34

yes it is,seen it done with a Z1000 Kawasaki,I think the Z1R came with a kickstart lever under the seat for emergency use.

Ixion
17th April 2005, 20:42
Very easy. easier than a 250 single. thats all you're compressing at one time and have added momentum of a heavier crank.
I had a SR500 single and a T140 Bonneville, they were much harder to kick over than a Z1000 - I could kick start one of them with me dick :apumpin:

Yeah, I reckon a 1000 cc four would only be like a 500 twin, and they were easy enough. And the original CB750 four was a cinch to kickstart, didn't even need the technique, just bang it down.

Pisses me off actually that they don't put kickstarts on now. I hate being reliant on the electric starter. Crank handles on cars, too

TonyB
17th April 2005, 20:43
yes it is,seen it done with a Z1000 Kawasaki,I think the Z1R came with a kickstart lever under the seat for emergency use.
Even with 12:1 compression?
Bet a high compression V-Twin would be nigh on impossible! Test rode a VTR once. Had a dead battery, they forgot I was coming in to test it so they jerried it up and said "don't stall it". Fuggen thing just died while waiting for a green light, so I thought I'd try push starting it even though I knew it might be hopeless. It was still locking the back wheel in top gear.

Hitcher
17th April 2005, 20:45
I remember the angst of kickstarting an AG100 farmbike where the swivelling footpeg thingee on the top of the kickstart lever had long since disappeared...

Ixion
17th April 2005, 20:48
Even with 12:1 compression?
Bet a high compression V-Twin would be nigh on impossible! ...

Actually I think V twins were easier because there was only one cylinder at a time and the other one gave a good flywheel effect.Though the only V twin I've tried it on was a Vincent.

I kick started a Manx Norton that was 11:1 compression and a 500cc single, so a 12:1 1000cc four should be easy enough.

More important than compression I think is flywheel weight, Noone could actually kick a big single through the compression stroke. You had to use the flywheel effect, so the more flywheel (either crank, or another cylinder) the easier it is. I think any multi cylinder is going to be easy compared to a big single. And come to think of it, I think that is confirmed by the fact the the Vincent Comet was a hell of a lot harder to start than the V twin, with the same cyclinder size

gamgee
17th April 2005, 20:49
bloody sr250 and it's dodgy battery that doesn't work in the damn cold, it sucks push starting a bike at 6:30 in the morning!!! might get a new battery for it one of these days, it's got a hole for a kickstarter, just no peg thing to actually kick on

Motu
17th April 2005, 20:53
Kinda embarassing that I've just got an electric start small 2 stroke single,but it only just adds to the fun...

Ixion's ritual was a part of my life for many years - standing astride a big single or twin,the leap into the air,balancing while you put everything you had into one leg and also mastering the end of swing...the whole thing was satisfying.As a little guy trying to start big singles reluctant to start I developed a method where I'd stand beside the bike,put my left hand under the rear guard and pull myself down....I think I've got the weight problem solved now.... :whistle: I could start my B31 with Goldy cams,high comp piston and big carb with just my hand.I still like to stand beside the bike to kickstart....and yeah,I've still got kickstart bikes.

Skyryder
17th April 2005, 20:53
Yeah, I reckon a 1000 cc four would only be like a 500 twin, and they were easy enough. And the original CB750 four was a cinch to kickstart, didn't even need the technique, just bang it down.

Pisses me off actually that they don't put kickstarts on now. I hate being reliant on the electric starter. Crank handles on cars, too

I had a Tiger 100, usualy no problem to start. Don't realy miss the kick start at my age, but hey there was something about kickstarting a bike. It just seemed a macho thing at the time. Looked good when the troops started up together too.

Skyryder

Ixion
17th April 2005, 20:59
bloody sr250 and it's dodgy battery that doesn't work in the damn cold, it sucks push starting a bike at 6:30 in the morning!!! might get a new battery for it one of these days, it's got a hole for a kickstarter, just no peg thing to actually kick on

SR250 should be child's play .250 cc single is it not ?. I usually bump start my SRX250 , because it's fun!

Remember, you don't **push** start them, you **bump** start them.If you try to push it you'll just wear yourself out.

Ignition on, any carby stuff you need to do, into first gear, clutch engaged, pull the bike **backwards** until you hit compression (this is real important), now clutch disengaged (still in first), push it foward until you hit a fast walking pace, now a big high jump onto the seat so you come down on it with a bang, sitting sidesaddle, and *exactly* as your bum sits the saddle, drop the clutch real fast. Start every time if you got the carby set right.Open the throttle and get up to about 15 - 20 kph.Then up on the peg (you're still sidesaddle remember) and swing over to sit astride, and off you go . Dead easy.

It was a bit easier with a rigid rear end because you got the full effect of hitting the saddle.

Motu
17th April 2005, 21:03
Crank handles on cars, too
I remember the trick to stating a Mini was to jack up one side,put it in gear and spin the wheel that was off the ground.

You'd think one of the hardest bikes to start would be a speedway bike - a 500cc single with 15:1 compression running on alcohol - but I've seen them started by just pulling the rear wheel by hand...easy.

Oscar
17th April 2005, 22:07
Have been known to kick start the LC4 (left hand side too) - easy.

Got a TT500 in the shed - if you canae kick it, it dosenae go...

loosebruce
17th April 2005, 22:30

Yeah me too, but i haven't kicked mine yet coz it doesn't start!! Soon...........

FROSTY
17th April 2005, 22:35
ahh -"Thjose were the days my freind -we thought theyd never end -We'd jump and dance -forever and a day---yea when the friggin kickstarter kicked us back -i the shins. :whistle:

Oscar
17th April 2005, 22:37
ahh -"Thjose were the days my freind -we thought theyd never end -We'd jump and dance -forever and a day---yea when the friggin kickstarter kicked us back -i the shins. :whistle:

I still have a big divot in my calf muscle from a YZ465...

Big Dave
17th April 2005, 22:39
I still have a big divot in my calf muscle from a YZ465...

i have other mates who gladly show thier kick starter scars too - I never had one bite me - looks like it hurt tho

Stevo
17th April 2005, 22:49
Do bikes not have kickstarts?

250learna
17th April 2005, 23:25
my m8 has a fxr 150 i think its a 2001model and it has both electric and kick start, if you turn it on using electric and then it switches off coz no choke, then you gota kick start. And for some reason it hapened all the time :whistle: .
I liked it, untill the f#%$er riped my shoe.
Dont buy shoes from #1 Shoewarehouse if you are planing to kickstart a bike :eyepoke:

StoneChucker
18th April 2005, 00:12
My FIRST experience of a kick-start was back in SA. The person I was staying with housed the neighbours bike in the garage for a few days. NO idea what it was, since I had no clue back then (dirt bike cross motard maybe). I spent ages fiddling with levers and buttons trying to get the thing started, and finally with one mighty kick it turned over for a minute or two...

Then in NZ, while I was on my learners I test rode an 04 GSX250 which has electric and kick start. Had a go at kick-starting it - pretty easy I'm thinking, when compared to what I've been reading on here. Honestly, I prefer electric start as I'm sure you all do too (honestly) :msn-wink:

There's the anoying thing about a kick-start only bike that won't start... The longer you try, the more tired you get thus the less likely you are to get the thing going!

scumdog
18th April 2005, 02:55
I remember the angst of kickstarting an AG100 farmbike where the swivelling footpeg thingee on the top of the kickstart lever had long since disappeared...

And the Jawas where the kickstart was also the gear lever - and you had to bend down, push the lever in, lift it up and then kick - and if your foot slipped off you had to repeat the above effort all over again!! argh!! :angry2:

Motu
18th April 2005, 08:48
Pity the motorcycle mechanics of the 70s,hard starting was a common complaint,they'd be kicking all day.Same with lawnmowers,chainsaws and other equipment - I've spent a lot of my time working on that stuff,chainsaws are particualy trying if you have one that's hard to start.Same too with outboards,small ones are pull start,and when you get up to around 40hp they get nasty - I've seen mechanics break their hands/wrists on big outboards.

Fryin Finn
18th April 2005, 09:16
2 of my current bikes have kick start. The WR450 is a piece of piss with the automatic decomp on the cam. The SRX requires a routine but often starts 1st kick. My old XR650 got very tiring when you stalled it. But the worst bike was my First bike The Yamaha 360 RT3. It kicked back and was nasty with it. The very first day it bit back and split my heel. My boot quickly filled with blood. One bloke had the same bike and it kicked back, smashing his thigh under the handlebars and breaking his leg. I was scared of that bike and crash started wherever I could. My brothers DT250 kicked back and the kick start punctured his calf. More blood.

Legolas
18th April 2005, 09:18
Originally posted by Ixion.

Retard ignition
Tickle the carb
Free the clutch
Lift exhaust valve
Kick start **HARD** . With **ALL** your weight on the lever (one foot on kick start other off the ground, kicking with all the strength of your back and leg. And whatever you do don't let the bike fall over at this point because you have no foot on the ground, so you ahve to balance it)
Repeat until it starts

Yep. remember the ritual well.
I had a 1954 Matchless long stroke single. If you didn't follow the above procedure, you could be limping for days.

Sniper
18th April 2005, 09:56
I still have a kick start. great little CG125

Wolf
18th April 2005, 14:34
Most my bikes have had kick starters and a couple had both kick and electric - and usually the battery was knackered so I'd be starting it with the kick anyway. Only the Zundapp, the LS400 and the '82 GSX250 were electric start only.

I like the idea of having the kick start for emergency use. There's something kinda "classic" about kicking down on the lever and having the engine roar into life (or at least cough explosively and fire you over the handlebars).

ManDownUnder
18th April 2005, 14:56

I saw something like that too... this guy, seriously not much biger than a jockey, was on a BIG lime green kwaka, gently kicking it over... till the thing was just past TDC (or wherever it is easiest to kick it from), and gave it a go.

It'd get 3/4 of the way through the kick, kick back and throw him back in the air cursing and swearing about his sore leg...

... then he'd give it another go... and another and another... took him 5 or 6 to get it firing and his leg must have been bloody sore - it was rough watching it - I'd hate to have been doing it!

Brave man...

And now my 900 starts with the mere push of a button. Hell - my two year old daughter does it (with great delight I might add)
MDU

250learna
18th April 2005, 18:28
I've spent a lot of my time working on that stuff,chainsaws are particualy trying if you have one that's hard to start.Same too with outboards,small ones are pull start,and when you get up to around 40hp they get nasty - I've seen mechanics break their hands/wrists on big outboards.

i have a 20hores johnson outboard from the 70s... and its ok to start when its freshly servicerd, but it can do some demage every now and then when its playing up... not to mention the other passengers squased in on the 12footer also get a piece of the action...in the gut,ribs or face :whistle:

gav
18th April 2005, 20:32
Yeah, had my share of kick start bikes, Z1, RZ350, NS400R, DR600, heap of XR's, worst one XR350RE :angry2:

Sensei
18th April 2005, 20:49
Had my 560 kitted TT500 with Ported SR500 head , White Bro race Cam < flat slide carby on Avgas 56hp in town one day
came out of shop jumped on & went to start it Decom lever etc Stood straight up & let her have it got half way down then she stopped dead . Kick start fired back up faster than it went down . Punched a hole right through my brand new Redband Gummboot through a Norswear sock & tore a 50 cent round by about 2mmm thick piece of skin off the bottom of my foot as it pushed my kneee up underneath the handle bar bending it up on a 45 deg angle . Needless to say I did not start the bike again Phoned mate to bring my ute down & pick me & the bike up . Found out the Timing had slipped while riding into town & was near full advanaced when I started it . Limpped for about 2month's . :angry2:
SENSEI

NordieBoy
18th April 2005, 22:08
2 weeks with the Nordie (11:1 compression 560cc single) with only a kicker and you learn the technique.
Then when you finally get the handlebar mounted decompression lever working it is a piece of the proverbial.
Never had it kick back ever and I've started it barefoot.
Crash start without the decomp - No way - Maybe with a couple of mates but it'll lock up in any gear.

XR250 - Think about pushing the kicker down and it starts :ride:

The other Nordie only has a button and you're stuffed if the battery goes flat.

MadDuck
18th April 2005, 22:22
OMG yes I remember the kick starts. Showing my age now. We managed big calf muscles and lots of bad language in those ole days :msn-wink: :msn-wink:

Advantage was push starts in the cold

SPman
18th April 2005, 22:23
The Duc GT750 - piece of piss - Hop on, tickle the Amals (mine had amals) , one kick and away she would go, almost without fail. The worst was probably the CB250RS, but still no probs and all the two stroke multis.....as long as the plugs were ok, never a hassle. - just kept away from old english crap!

Ms Piggy
18th April 2005, 23:07
Ditto!! :ride:

Al
19th April 2005, 00:39
Yeah, still remember them quite fondly...
Had a XT500, NO decompression lever, bitch of a thing to start if you're not used to it. Threw a mate of mine off (landed flat on his arse) :killingme
[/IMG]

scumdog
19th April 2005, 00:46

Used up quite a bit of sweat and ended up with an arm like Popeyes from crank starting a '49 V8 pick-up truck I had.

Aiolos
19th April 2005, 05:23
http://www.legit.dk/

Anyone else notice that the bear is being lazy?

Sutage
25th April 2005, 15:55
Yep. Separates the men from the boys.

Retard ignition
Tickle the carb
Free the clutch
Lift exhaust valve
Repeat until it starts

Bah. Electric starts, just push a wussy button. Wusses. See what you miss out on nowadays. Bet half of you don't even understand half the above process. (PT). Though the guys with big trailies I guess still have to do the full drill

Yeah, I've still got a kick start bike. :2thumbsup

Then remmeber to move your leg cuz those things bounce back real hard :(

inlinefour
25th April 2005, 16:25
I felt most put out when I realised that my newer bike did not have one :no:

Badcat
28th April 2005, 16:33
yep - it's been more than 10 years since i have a kick-only bike.
my KTM supermoto had a kick - but on the wrong side so i never used it.
i'm about to start building my xt500 street tracker - and it's got a wiseco 11:1 piston and it's kick only.
my srx600 had kick-only - but that had an auto-decomp.
luckily i'm 100 kilos.....

k

Eurodave
28th April 2005, 16:49
My old '78 Kwaka Z1-R 1015cc :ride: had a non folding one under the seat that you could whip out & bolt on in case of a flat battery. I must say it did get used now & again

phantom
28th April 2005, 16:57
The GB has kick start and electric. the kicker comes in handy when the clapped out battery doesn't want to play ball ( or I've left the kill switch on and haven't noticed :whistle: ) and it looks better when you want to pose

Flyingpony
28th April 2005, 18:28
I still use mine. :yes:
Would use electric but battery doesn't have enough power anymore to turn over the engine. :no: