PDA

View Full Version : What 250 to get?

bikerdarrell
20th October 2009, 19:09
Hi guys,
I currently own a mc17 cbr250 and i now want to get a new bike that is abit faster. I am considering buying an aprilia rs250 or a NSR250 and want to know what they are like. How reliable are they? What will i need to do to them regularly as i have heard that 2strokes require alot of maintenance.

thanks..

McWild
20th October 2009, 21:15
How soon can you sit your full?

If it's not that long then it would be a better use of your money to wait it out and get a 600 or an old school 750 inline 4, if you just want to go "faster".

Fluffy Cat
20th October 2009, 21:31
The RS and NSR are great bikes. As you said more work needs to be put into them and the safe move would be to get a modern 600 as these are the 2 strokes of this age.
Then again the 2 strokes are great bikes and for you hard earned cash, you will need lots. Big grin factor. On twisty roads they are great on not so twisty roads not so great.
I have both these bikes and i would guess that any NSR you bought would need a new crank soon. Good idea to change piston rings and little end as standard on either of these. The power valves on the RS would need to be inspected just to see how much wear there is on them.
Can tell you more if you are keen but the 600's do look good.
And
They will eat any 4/stroke 250 any time any place....

The Pastor
21st October 2009, 08:06
When you get one start a rebuild saving fund.

Rodney007
21st October 2009, 08:13
id suggest MC22 cbr250rr if you want to also become a better rider...

dont bother with nsr unless your planing to strip the entire thing down to crank or unless you buy an mc28 with v. low kms

rs250 is v.fast bike IMO spend the dosh and get low km cbr250rr, best 250cc period (4-stroke)

When you get one start a rebuild saving fund.

lol, you pay people to re-build?, 2-stroke is like lego

dynamite
21st October 2009, 15:44
If you can go for the rs and the newest (and lowest kms) you can get and get ready to tip money into it. the nsr's are too old now they will cost you more in the long run. make sure you get a good one, and make sure you have the money to spend when they brake. If your nearly at your full id just stick it out or get a 600. 2 strokes feel different to ride remember, they are more gutless through most of the rev range than the cbr, but better in the power band, it makes them a bit of a bitch to ride in town regularly, and every time you want to do anything fast you have to change down, plus the warm up time is fucking annoying. for the rs you should be giving it 5 min or so every time

ready4whatever
26th October 2009, 16:56
Im getting a ninja250R as soon as i get me another job. not the fastest 250 in the world but i hear they not too bad. good on gas, reliable as. not bad price for what they are. and common as, dont need to worry about lack of parts around

tate35
26th October 2009, 17:02
2 strokes are harder work...well that's what i found being a learner I felt like there was a lot going on...with the ring-a-ding sound as well ;)

mattian
26th October 2009, 17:36
Hi guys,
I currently own a mc17 cbr250 and i now want to get a new bike that is abit faster. I am considering buying an aprilia rs250 or a NSR250 and want to know what they are like. How reliable are they? What will i need to do to them regularly as i have heard that 2strokes require alot of maintenance.

thanks..

You need to ask yourself the question. Why do I want a "faster" bike? why do you want to go fast for? most 250's are quick enough to keep up with traffic on surburban streets and even the motorways.
Stay with the bike you've got. They're great bikes and excellent for learning on. Start a big bike fund for when you've got your full.

Maki
26th October 2009, 18:30
Start a big bike fund for when you've got your full.

Wot he said...

DMCD
5th November 2009, 15:48
id suggest MC22 cbr250rr if you want to also become a better rider...

dont bother with nsr unless your planing to strip the entire thing down to crank or unless you buy an mc28 with v. low kms

rs250 is v.fast bike IMO spend the dosh and get low km cbr250rr, best 250cc period (4-stroke)

lol, you pay people to re-build?, 2-stroke is like lego

If your intent on not waiting for your full licence you may as well get a 2smoker, a MC22 CBR is a great bike and pretty quick but it wont keep you interested for long if you are over your MC17 already.

But my advise is to wait, I started with a 250 Bandit, which got stolen so I changed to a MC22 CBR which was nice but got boring after about a month but I kept it till I got my full and saved allot of money for a very nice big bike.

Hiflyer
5th November 2009, 16:36
Learn to ride your 250 properly and you'll go fast

Ragingrob
5th November 2009, 16:52
Get your full and get a 400

CookMySock
5th November 2009, 19:08
Learn to ride your 250 properly and you'll go fastYeah. Theres a lot more to going fast, than booting it in a straight line.

Steve

gatch
5th November 2009, 19:57
get a 400

Fookin A man !

Ooky
5th November 2009, 22:55
2smokers are freaking awesome! easy to work on and buying parts from the UK cheap to run:done: but get very anoying when not in the twisites:mellow: but as I found out a couple of weeks ago crash very nicely!:shutup:
but comes down what you want it for awesome fun track bike PITA comuter:laugh:

Fluffy Cat
7th November 2009, 06:55
He he been reading all the posts. Few things to educate about 2/strokes for people who have never ridden them...please do not get too upset.
The main bunch of performance 2/strokes that were made are, TZR, NSR, RGV/RS and KR1. The KR's and the RGV/RS's were officially exported to the UK and were unrestricted. The others were restricted. In unrestricted form all these bikes are about the same power wise as a 400. In the UK 250 2/strokes raced against and beat 400's. In Japan there was a race grouping for these 2/strokes and the battle was really between the NSR-MC21's, TZR,s and the RGVsp. These bikes had hop up kits and factory support. Power outputs of around 70hp were possible. The NSR MC21 was based loosely upon the 1989 Honda RS production GP bike. The TZR was the most restricted of the bunch but all motor parts were interchangeable with the TZ production GP bike. The KR1's was tested in the UK at 139mph as standard. The Aprilia RS uses the RGV motor and has a nice fully adjustable chassis.
These bikes were true performance bikes unlike modern 250 4/strokes. The main problem with them was piston ring life, and now they are getting on a bit cranks. NSR's when new could easily go 20,000k's from new with no service. No shim check etc. But after that i would pull them apart and replace pistons little ends and rings. Off you go for 20,000 more k,s. Not so with the RGV/RS as the Suzuki power valves could be a problem. Which was fixed a bit better on the later batches with stronger pins.
So what am i saying?. Well its time to upset peeps...
There really is no comparison between the 4/snore stroke 250's and the ring a ding (as some one said) 2/strokes. If you want to learn to go fast God forbid anyone doing something as dangerous as that!!!. The an NSR etc is the bike to get. They have high power to weight outputs they are peaky but the modern ones have powervalves which mitigate this somewhat. But the peakyness teaches you throttle control like nothing else. Brakes and handling at the time were way up there and because of the race inspired geometry(this means that they go round corners) and light weight you could seriously harass any other bike bar 4/stroke 250,s which would be long gone behind you due to their low power to weight output.
The bottom line is this.
An RGV the Australian Kid Killer as some news papers called it, can and will bite you learner or not. Its the nature of these performance bikes and they are performance bikes make no mistake about that. Unlike their 4/stroke wanabe cousins. The 4/snore stroke 250,s are i have to say this under duress. Not bad bikes they are reliable, have good brakes and handling(just like a nice safe Nissan Micra). But they are safe due to castrated outputs and less than sharp geometries. They were built that way by the big four as the 2/strokes had given them trouble in all sorts of ways.
As a youngun i had an RGV and it or rather me, almost killed me most rides. I learnt heaps....in a short period of time and had fun that i judge all my subsequent bikes by. I still have an RS250 and an NSR.
Enough said.......oh and they are nice safe 4/snore strokes still....hehe.:woohoo: