PDA

View Full Version : MPs reply/Cross-subsidy anomaly

dpex
21st October 2009, 09:03
So far I have had one substantive reply from the MPs to whom I have written a submission. This from Tim Macindoe. Nats Hamilton West.

Proposed changes to motorcycle levies

The National-led Government is determined to preserve and protect our 24/7, no-fault accident insurance scheme.

ACC is facing some real challenges. Its liabilities have ballooned to almost $24 billion – $13 billion more than its assets. This is unsustainable and unaffordable.

In 2008/09, ACC paid more than $62 million to motorcycle riders but collected only $12.3 million in levies.

The incidence, severity and cost of motorcycle crash injuries are not reflected in current levies. The cost of injuries in motorcycle crashes is about four times higher than injuries in other motor vehicle crashes.

Measure that statement against the stats prepared by ACC

Car Occupants:
- 8525 active claims
- $208,305,000
- $24,434 per claim

Motorcyclists:
- 3173 active claims
- $62,523,000
- $19,704 per claim

See? Their own stats show the cost of treating motorcyclist injury is actually 20% less, per claim, than it is for cagers!

To help make up this difference the ACC Board has proposed a reclassification and an increase to the motorcycle levies. Even with the proposed increase in levies other motor vehicle owners will continue to pay $77 each to cross-subsidise motorcyclists.

Now here's another saw they're throwing around in an attempt to validate their claims.

But they don't mention the other, far greater cross subsidy of:-

Cyclists:
- 567 active claims
- $12,573,000
- $22,174 per claim 11% more expensive per claim.

Pedestrians:
- 1115 active claims
- $24,494,000
- $21,967 per claim 10% more expensive per claim.

Yet neither of these groups pay any additional ACC levy!

We want to have an open and honest conversation with the public as to how they want us to fund the shortfall. If the shortfall is not funded through an increase to motorcycle levies, it will have to be funded from somewhere else.

The proposed increases are currently open to public consultation. We encourage motorcyclists and other motorists to have their say on this issue by making submissions to ACC by 5PM, 10 November.

Following public consultation, the Government will receive advice from the ACC Board and make a final decision.

To have your say on the proposals go to www.acc.co.nz/consultation.

To make a submission on these clear anomalies, go to the site noted directly above.

Mom
21st October 2009, 09:05
You might want to tidy up your formatting a little bit mate.

Clockwork
21st October 2009, 09:13
Is anyone else starting to see a "formula" or standardisation in these replies from NAT MP's.

If they can't be arsed engaging on the issues and addressing the specific points we're raising then they are plainly not about to break party ranks to support us.

All the same I hope the "Wall of protest letters" may yet start to register on their tiny little "self serving" consciousness.

dpex
21st October 2009, 09:55
You might want to tidy up your formatting a little bit mate.

I don't publish the formatting. The site does. I just do the highlight and select bit.