PDA

View Full Version : If REGO costs do increase ... what would you do?

rok-the-boat
22nd October 2009, 16:28
If REGO costs do rise, I'll just ride on the road in the summer (3 months), as will many others, and chances are, we'll crash just as often - just a bit more 'intensely' ... as we will ride more often to get our money's worth, if you see what I mean. Hell, I'd not REGO the car for the same period and save more that way and just ride the bike. And, in other months, I'll remove my lights and ride off-road more - presto, more accidents, unfunded. Ho hum. Revenues could be down, and accidents - probably about the same. Ho hum.

What would you do?

AllanB
22nd October 2009, 16:34
Park it up for 3 - 4 months over winter with the rego on hold.

Then spend the savings on goodies for it. :2thumbsup

YellowDog
22nd October 2009, 16:35
I'd freeze the rego for 4/12 months.

Probably take the front wheel off too, to avoid temptation :)

nothingflash
22nd October 2009, 16:37
yep, hold the rego over winter I reckon...

munster
22nd October 2009, 17:11
yup, no rego over winter, just pootle up & down the street to get my fix early one fine winters morning. Just to keep the battery charged, mind you.

BiK3RChiK
22nd October 2009, 19:28
We'll probably keep one or maybe two bikes registered (the ones under 600cc) and put the bigger bikes on hold for 4-6 months of the year...

McJim
22nd October 2009, 19:31
No change - it's only the price of a front tyre.

awayatc
22nd October 2009, 19:35
I'd whinge on KB.....

Mully
22nd October 2009, 21:13
I'd bitch and moan and complain and pay it.

Not being able to ride would drive me mental.

dogsnbikes
22nd October 2009, 21:23
No change - it's only the price of a front tyre.

So more wheelies to save on front tyers

As for my self until Im cleared by the doc's I can't ride until june next year so two bikes are on hold at the moment anyway and wofs kept up to date and one is still live as its being leant out over summer

so june next year all bikes getting 12months rego's:lol:

davebullet
22nd October 2009, 21:44
On hold only means you have to backpay when you reactivate, right?

I'll join the protests... but if the government decide to push it through, then I'll just a have to swallow the increase and swallow less bourbon.

NighthawkNZ
22nd October 2009, 22:09

I'll join the protests... but if the government decide to push it through, then I'll just a have to swallow the increase and swallow less bourbon.

only if you take it off hold before the agreed time period

AllanB
22nd October 2009, 22:09

NO
If you put it on hold for 3 months (minimum oh-hold period allowed) and do not register it again until that period is up you do not pay for the held months.
YES
If you put it on hold for 3 months and decide during that period that you really need your fix and register it to ride, then you will have to back-pay rego from that point to when it went on hold.

The later pees me a bit as if you work on the theory that most people are honest and did not actually use the vehicle during that part of the held period them why charge for something that held no value?

Bald Eagle
22nd October 2009, 22:19
Have to adjust the budget...less food maybe.

Can't not ride. Anyway it's my daily get to work transport and trans-metro aint an option

StoneY
22nd October 2009, 22:24
Paint the word Ducati on my Suzuki 1100 and have one plate :lol:

De-rego Suzy and use her for a race bike more likely, track days, whatever a 90 GSXR is allowed to do (bin most likely hehe)

I could not justify keeping two bikes IF it goes through
But we right now are gathering sympathy fast...real fast

Oldies are up in arms!
No shit, the grey machines moving (slow but moving):hug:

edit: 2 ROAD legal bikes

McWild
22nd October 2009, 22:37
Keep rego and thus insurance on the most regularly used one.

Put the others on hold since I'd only take them out once in a blue moon anyway.

Currently paying for 3 registered vehicles. Can barely afford as is...

SARGE
22nd October 2009, 22:38
What would you do?

runners ......

Nitzer
22nd October 2009, 22:39
Dare I say it but I would consider downsizing to a 125cc.

I don't have my own car so the bike is my main form of transport. Taking the bus or rain to work would take over an hour and isn't really ideal as I work shifts.

We are a single-income family with 2 littlies so every penny really is accounted for. I did a rough calculation of bus/train fares compared to new proposed ACC levies, bike cost etc and there really wasn't much difference.

I don't really want to sell the bike for a car as there's still petrol/parking costs.

At least if I went to a 125 I still get to ride and keep the family budget around to what it is now.

Of course I say this now in theory, but in practice.....who knows :(

Anyway, there's a long way to go before I need to worry about such things. I plan to go to one of the local protests, I've ordered my ACC T-Shirt and I've stuck a few posters around at work.

McJim
22nd October 2009, 22:46
Cagiva Raptor 125
Cagiva Mito 125
Aprilia RS125

All good choices - all capable of 160kph and handle like a dream.

SARGE
22nd October 2009, 22:49
Cagiva Raptor 125
Cagiva Mito 125
Aprilia RS125

All good choices - all capable of 160kph and handle like a dream.

nice bikes ..

my hairdresser, yoga instructor and manicurist all ride those ..

StoneY
22nd October 2009, 22:52
Dare I say it but I would consider downsizing to a 125cc.

'Ow much for the SV then squire? :lol:

Indiana_Jones
22nd October 2009, 22:57
Seeing as it's my only form of transport I have no choice but to get it for the year....

-Indy

Nitzer
22nd October 2009, 22:58
'Ow much for the SV then squire? :lol:

Please, you're making me nervous now.....I wish I hadn't said anything :weep:

PirateJafa
22nd October 2009, 22:58
I'd put the rego on hold and ride over the colder nine months without it. I don't get pulled over often, so not too fussed.

Depending on how much I have or haven't had to pay in fines over the winter, I might put three months reg on it for the summer. Or maybe not.

Nitzer
22nd October 2009, 23:00
nice bikes ..

How did you know I was a Hairdresser :lol:

SARGE
22nd October 2009, 23:07
How did you know I was a Hairdresser :lol:

the Framed Gak poster?

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/media/images/ch/tv/library/shows/how-to-look-good-naked/288x269/lg-promo-how-to-look-good-naked-1.jpg

pc79
23rd October 2009, 01:45
It may be that they have now priced their "product" out of reach and won't be able to "sell" many anymore?

Cloggy
23rd October 2009, 02:58
I'd prolly end up selling the little bike and keeping the expensive to keep one.
No logic in that is there ? Other than the ACC will get less of my money and the risk I supposedly am to them has not decreased.

gunrunner
23rd October 2009, 05:38
But putting all fees up this high wont it just add to the problem as if any of us do end up on acc now we are just gonna say fuck it i will get my money out of them this way . Get 80% of your pay each week and go for a holiday . ;)

Mully
23rd October 2009, 07:40
It may be that they have now priced their "product" out of reach and won't be able to "sell" many anymore?

That is on a par with pricing oxygen out of reach - simply can't happen. Too many people ride for pleasure and convenience. Stopping riding because of this will simply make them miserable. And late.

Some may not rego their bikes, but most people are generally law abiding (well, apart from those silly laws about speed).

Despite a lot of the bragging on here, most people will suck it up. I'll probably register mine for three months at a time cos I wont be able to do 12.

That being said, I suspect the increase will happen at a much lower level. The Govt will say "we've listened to the population, so the increase will only be $200. Aren't we wonderful?" or some such and everyone will think it's a win even though the Govt wanted this all along.

Classic Govt procedure - fire up the populace with an outrageous suggestion, and then water it down so people aren't so fired up.

Swoop
23rd October 2009, 07:46
It is gonna make riding during winter even MORE fun, with all the extra cars on the road (containing frustrated bikers...).

Nibblet
23rd October 2009, 07:48
If these prices do go ahead would they not increase the fines and possibly add demerit points to riding without a rego knowing that people will not be able to afford it, and that pulling 10 people over will most likely result in 7 being fined?

Or is it just my paranoia and lack of trust in the goverment?

McJim
23rd October 2009, 19:04
nice bikes ..

Then you're a bigger poofter then I thought..:rofl: even I don't have a yoga instructor, a hairdresser or a manicurist.

And I'm keeping the Duc coz it's obnoxious.:Pokey:

Stan
23rd October 2009, 20:40
I'll be putting the rego on hold from March to September but I'll ride it when I like. I figure I can get caught twice a winter for no rego and still save $. I've been stopped a few times for speeding when my warrant and/or rego were expired and the cops never spotted it so I'm feeling bullet proof ;-)

twotyred
23rd October 2009, 20:44
If these prices do go ahead would they not increase the fines and possibly add demerit points to riding without a rego knowing that people will not be able to afford it, and that pulling 10 people over will most likely result in 7 being fined?

Or is it just my paranoia and lack of trust in the goverment?

Yup,the Po-Lice will be salivating at the new revenue collection potential... expect them to pull over bikes far more often and have organised "checkpoints" targeting all bikes that come past

Disco Dan
23rd October 2009, 20:56
I certainly wont buy another motorbike if it will cost me that much just to register it. The temptation to let it lapse would be too great especially with a car to keep maintained as well.

rok-the-boat
23rd October 2009, 22:55
How much is farm rego? How about if a farmer owns all our bikes and gets rego for them all?

MarkH
25th October 2009, 13:21
Seeing as it's my only form of transport I have no choice but to get it for the year....

There are always choices.

If they didn't change the fine for no rego then I would consider:
a. putting the rego on hold and chancing the fine.
b. putting the rego on hold, but paying for 3 months rego through summer (then back on hold) and taking my chances for the other 9 months.

If they quadrupled the fine then I would probably begrudgingly pay the rego every year.

I only own one vehicle and I need it to get to customers to earn money to live on.

kwaka_crasher
26th October 2009, 12:38
only if you take it off hold before the agreed time period

No. You only pay back to the beginning of the exemption if you relicence within the first 3 months of the exemption period. That's regardless of the length of exemption you've applied for. Always exempt for 12 months - then you can relicence any time between 3-12 months without incurring any backdating of licence fees.

When you renew an exemption, the 3 month minimum applies just as it does for a new exemption. That is to say, if you exempt for 3 months, re-exempt for 3 months upon expiry of that exemption then relicense 2-1/2 months into the renewed exemption, you'll have to pay the 2-1/2 months license fee. If you had simply exempted for 12 months, you wouldn't.

gazmascelle
26th October 2009, 13:29
No. You only pay back to the beginning of the exemption if you relicence within the first 3 months of the exemption period. That's regardless of the length of exemption you've applied for. Always exempt for 12 months - then you can relicence any time between 3-12 months without incurring any backdating of licence fees.

When you renew an exemption, the 3 month minimum applies just as it does for a new exemption. That is to say, if you exempt for 3 months, re-exempt for 3 months upon expiry of that exemption then relicense 2-1/2 months into the renewed exemption, you'll have to pay the 2-1/2 months license fee. If you had simply exempted for 12 months, you wouldn't.

Wish I knew that back when I stacked my mitsi.. ah well no big loss

:whocares: