PDA

View Full Version : Here's a thought

dpex
22nd October 2009, 17:34
Various have had the same reply from the Greens which I posted, and various have made the point that at least someone took the time to personalise at least one reply.

Question. How many registered party members do the Nats, Labour, et al, have?

What about we, as bikers, act as a block and join the Greens.

Nobody will get Green disease, or suddenly discover they have to sleep with Sue Bradford.

But an en masse joining of the Greens would give Key and his lot a wake-up call.

It would be a kind of, 'Fuck you, John!'

He may well like to think that it was just a reaction to a current issue and that the elections are a long way off. But them maybe he won't.

It costs just $15 to join. I'll get back to you on that issue.

But the Greens at leave have a voice in parliament, and with 480,000 licenced bike riders as a voting block? Hell's teeth. We could control the land.:--))

slofox
22nd October 2009, 17:36
...or suddenly discover they have to sleep with Sue Bradford.

Well. I'm reassured then aren't I...

sunhuntin
22nd October 2009, 18:07
ive always voted green, never gone any other way. $15 is a pittance to pay if it means we get their unwavering support.

Skyryder
22nd October 2009, 18:23
Join the Greens. :finger: That flaKey lot. Shit I'd sooner pay Smith's levy.

Now they are on about the grocery bags again. Seems New World South Island have banned charging for them. These dipsticks want Key to bring in some kind of legislation to make us pay for the bags.

I've never fallen for the Greens social bullshit. If they had any decent ideas in this area they would be pushing for a little discount if you supply your own bag. But that policy winner seems to escape them.

They lost the plot when they teamed up with the Nats.

Skyryder

rainman
22nd October 2009, 19:51
What about we, as bikers, act as a block and join the Greens.

Yeah Baby!!!

:whistle:

kwaka_crasher
23rd October 2009, 00:40
...join the greens.

f u c k t h a t s h i t.

Mystic13
23rd October 2009, 08:23
Join the greens? I will not ride Kawasaki.....okay secretly I've always wanted one but please don't tell people.

klingon
23rd October 2009, 13:13
Oh my goodness I almost fell off my chair when I read your post, dpex! :lol:

For those of you who can't bear the idea of joining the Greens (personally I have been a member for about 6 years) here are some alternatives:

If a polling company phones you, tell them you will vote Green at the next election because of the ACC issue. If you are filling in an online poll, say the same. Obviously it doesn't oblige you to actually vote Green, but it will have the desired effect of sending shivers down the spines of the powers that be.
Get in touch with one (or more) of the Green MPs and thank them for their stance on ACC.
Attend any public meeting where there is a Green MP and express your support for their ACC stance.
Reply to the letter written by Ivan Sowry (the Greens' ACC spokesman) and thank him for taking the time to write a helpful response to the issue.

I don't know how many people are aware that David Clendon, Sue Bradford's replacement in parliament, is a biker and a KBer. He was at the flash-mob protest on Sunday and has been actively promoting this cause. He's a keeper. :D

By the way,

GO GREEN!
:2thumbsup :lol: :hug:

k2w3
23rd October 2009, 13:19
I have a soft spot for the greens, I must admit. If it weren't for the beard-hugging hippies, I'd be in there.

Naki Rat
23rd October 2009, 14:03
The Greens have experience in fighting an issue very similar to this one in many respects - the Royal Commission of Inquiry (RCI) into GE. Both issues are potentially disasterous to minority marginalised groups in their initial action, and both are very complex issues that are easily misrepresented by government spin doctors.

I had a certified organic property/business at the time of that battle so was very much involved in the Anti-GE issue. The Greens proved themselves to be very able to wage battle on the big boys by the use of international networks of experts including the fact that they were well ahead of the competition in terms of video linking key witnesses to the RCI, which was no mean feat in 2001! They also have experience in coordinating effective protest actions :mobile::chase:

Don't discount the Greens as flakes or cave dwellers; they have proved before that they are far from it.

vgcspares
23rd October 2009, 14:08
Now they are on about the grocery bags again. Seems New World South Island have banned charging for them. These dipsticks want Key to bring in some kind of legislation to make us pay for the bags.

haven't you seen the thread "revenge of the plastic bag" - I'm with the Greens on this one: get rid of the bloody things

Headbanger
23rd October 2009, 14:10
I'd elect to pay the ACC levy rather then join the Greens.

Ixion
23rd October 2009, 15:42
Well, the Greens have been promoted to Official Good Bastards (TM)

Regardless of whether people want to join them in a general context, they've come through for bikers.

I reckon maybe the next Auckland flash mob could be a ride to a Green electorate office (do they have any), not to protest but to deliver some flowers or choccies or something.

Could be good press in that, shows we're not just a bunch of whingers.

Gubb
23rd October 2009, 15:46
Or we could burn down an ACT office.

bogan
23rd October 2009, 15:48
It costs just $15 to join. I'll get back to you on that issue.

But the Greens at leave have a voice in parliament, and with 480,000 licenced bike riders as a voting block? Hell's teeth. We could control the land.:--))

15 x 480,000 = 7.2mil, why dont we just form a Les for Pres party, slowly phase out all other forms of transport, ya know those pop up post parking things, space em 1m apart in cbd's and raise them every now and then for bike only days!

anyhu, I voted green last time, think I will do so again, but pay to join, whats in it for me?

dpex
23rd October 2009, 16:18
I'd elect to pay the ACC levy rather then join the Greens.

The point in joining the Greens, HB, is to send a very solid message to the incumbents. You don't have to agree with anything the Greens say, except their clear stance on the ACC levy.

dpex
23rd October 2009, 16:20

Rodney Roast? Hmmm, need a lot of mustard to cover the shitty taste.

st00ji
23rd October 2009, 16:36
i was having thoughts along a slightly similar line the other day.

like maybe getting some friendly addresses in helensville (thats JKs electorate for those that dont know) and registering a couple of hundred thousand bikers as residents of helensville. then send him a letter about how we arent pleased with this ACC nonsense and will be making sure he doesnt win his seat ever again

jed4czar
23rd October 2009, 16:54
The point in joining the Greens, HB, is to send a very solid message to the incumbents. You don't have to agree with anything the Greens say, except their clear stance on the ACC levy.

Alternatives are available - Although I am loath to advocate for any one party ...The one move that would fix Parliament in NZ would be to disqualify anyone who wanted to be an MP from becoming one! However, I digress, the progressives (Anderton party) also oppose it. See below for a reply to my email.

Dear Jed,

Thank you for your message regarding the proposal to increase the ACC levy payable by owners of motor bikes, in some cases by several hundred per cent.

I am opposed to this for two principal reasons:

The first is that it is not necessary. The ACC fund is not in a financial crisis as the current National led government claims. The scheme as originally constituted was a ‘pay as you go’ scheme i.e. the levies received in any one year meet the requirements for payments in that year. In fact the recent history of the scheme has been that the income more than meets the payment requirements. The same applies to, for example, national superannuation. In that case the identification of the effect of the ‘baby boom’ generation coming to retirement and creating a demand ‘bulge’ on the commitment to pay universal pensions at a reasonable level can be anticipated and planned for ( the so-called ‘Cullen’ fund). If the ACC funding was in crisis this could be handled in the same way, but it is not in crisis and no amount of insisting that it is on the part of the present Minister can make it so.

The problem arises because the current government insists that all of the future financial obligations of the fund must be funded in the present. That would make sense if the ACC was an insurance scheme – which it is not and was never intended to be. It makes even more sense if the government has a hidden agenda – which looks increasingly likely – to privatise the ACC or farm parts of it out to insurance companies. In those circumstances, a fully funded scheme in which the fund has been paid for by taxpayers would look a very attractive proposition to a private insurer, but it is one to which I am entirely opposed.

The second reason is that the ACC scheme was never intended to be a user pays scheme in which those who allegedly incur specific costs must, as a group, also meet those costs in full. The scheme is intended to draw upon the overall resources of the community to ensure that those who suffer an accident do not find themselves disadvantaged because they cannot afford treatment or rehabilitation, or meet the expenses associated with a lengthy court case. I note that Sir Owen Woodhouse, whose report led to the setting up of the scheme in 1973 has very recently said precisely that. Saying that motor cyclists must pay much more than presently because they are ‘responsible’ for their accidents not only breaches the principal behind the scheme, it also re-introduces the notion of fault into the scheme when it was set up in the first place to avoid it.

Please be assured that I will be opposing the proposed increased levy and that we in the Progressive Party are committed to restoring the scheme to its original basis when we return to government.

Warm regards,

Jim Anderton
MP for Wigram
Progressive Party Leader

Kevnz
23rd October 2009, 18:48
We should all join BRONZ, if you haven't already. The amount of good they have done for us all in the last week is more than the Greens will ever do. Les for PM :2thumbsup

klingon
23rd October 2009, 23:05

Regardless of whether people want to join them in a general context, they've come through for bikers.

I reckon maybe the next Auckland flash mob could be a ride to a Green electorate office (do they have any), not to protest but to deliver some flowers or choccies or something.

What a marvellous idea!

The Auckland Green Party head office is on the city end of New North Road, just by that funny Dominion Road slip lane. Ivan Sowry (who is the Green Party ACC spokesman and wrote the letters being discussed here) works from the New North Road office.

I think it would be brilliant to deliver flowers or choccies there as a 'thanks for caring' gesture. :D

BMWST?
23rd October 2009, 23:14
i ussually give my party vote to the greens...despite the image I think they have shown themselves to be a responsible,moderate,sensible political influence.I think they have shown how MMP can give real representation to smaller groups.They have used thier power wisely,unlike some other smaller parties.

Skyryder
24th October 2009, 19:29

November five seems a good time.

I think I'll go buy some Greggs Jelly.

Skyryder

dpex
25th October 2009, 19:33
What a marvellous idea!

The Auckland Green Party head office is on the city end of New North Road, just by that funny Dominion Road slip lane. Ivan Sowry (who is the Green Party ACC spokesman and wrote the letters being discussed here) works from the New North Road office.

I think it would be brilliant to deliver flowers or choccies there as a 'thanks for caring' gesture. :D

Listen up folks. We have a voting block of upwards of 400,000...actually its near 500,000, but let's not fess on numbers.

We all join the greens as an adipose to Key's lot. We then vote for the greens at the next elections, 400,000 of us would give them a lot of seats.

But after we join and BEFORE we vote, we get with the greens and make it clear that we are into green...we are, eh? I mean this land is paradise, and so let's keep it green. But we're not into the anti-smacking bill and other such childish policies the greens put forward just to garner favour with the bosses.

With 400,000 votes the greens could be the bosses, but under our terms....the voters.

Yes. we want a green land. Yes we want our traditions preserved. Yes we want Maori to participate but not at our exclusive expense. Yes we want the whales saved, the dolphins protected, the 1080 banned, but mostly we want the current bunch of Nazis to back off our case.

To do that we have to rattle them. To get there we have to first join a lobby group, then vote for them.

Go Green I say.

And if the Greens want to retain our support then they'd better get practical, or our support will silt and they will be back in political no-mans land.

Fist. Let's all join. Second. Lets talk with them. Third. Let's get our way...if on only this one subject. ACC bullshit.!

dpex
25th October 2009, 19:40
What a marvellous idea!

Listen up folks. We have a voting block of upwards of 400,000...actually its near 500,000, but let's not fess on numbers.

We all join the greens as an adipose to Key's lot. We then vote for the greens at the next elections, 400,000 of us would give them a lot of seats.

But after we join and BEFORE we vote, we get with the greens and make it clear that we are into green...we are, eh? I mean this land is paradise, and so let's keep it green. But we're not into the anti-smacking bill and other such childish policies the greens put forward just to garner favour with the bosses.

With 400,000 votes the greens could be the bosses, but under our terms....the voters.

Yes. we want a green land. Yes we want our traditions preserved. Yes we want Maori to participate but not at our exclusive expense. Yes we want the whales saved, the dolphins protected, the 1080 banned, but mostly we want the current bunch of Nazis to back off our case.

To do that we have to rattle them. To get there we have to first join a lobby group, then vote for them.

Go Green I say.

And if the Greens want to retain our support then they'd better get practical, or our support will silt and they will be back in political no-mans land.

First. Let's all join. Second. Lets talk with them. Third. Let's get our way...if on only this one subject. ACC bullshit.!

You have to admit, democracy is the most childish way of running a country since communism. But democracy is all we have. So let's get democratic about this.

Basically it's 'Fuck you, Smith!' by voting green.

And let's face it. All he wants is his flash job back, next season.

We have these pratts by the balls if only we'd vote as a block.

Ixion
25th October 2009, 19:43
Don't actually have to join them . Just make Mr Key think that a significant number MIGHT.

Actually he'd probably be more worried about us joining the Anderton party. (who is also an Official Good Bastard, much as it tears my guts out to say it)

Ixion
25th October 2009, 19:51

I actually set up a thread for this flash ride (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=110925) , but for some reason put it in the SMC forum .

I'll make one in a main forum

Teflon
25th October 2009, 20:18

Will my cost of living go up if these fuckers have any power?

FJRider
25th October 2009, 20:36
Don't actually have to join them . Just make Mr Key think that a significant number MIGHT.

Actually he'd probably be more worried about us joining the Anderton party. (who is also an Official Good Bastard, much as it tears my guts out to say it)

That number of potential voters potentially changing their vote to another party, would worry him... or at least that number of potential voters NOT voting for him.

Winston001
25th October 2009, 20:47
Its an interesting idea which has merit.

Where did the 400,000 come from? I thought there were 98,000 registered bikes - and some people will own more than one.

NighthawkNZ
25th October 2009, 20:53
Where did the 400,000 come from? I thought there were 98,000 registered bikes - and some people will own more than one.

480,000 motorcycle license holders

Bounce001
26th October 2009, 08:21
November five seems a good time.

I think I'll go buy some Greggs Jelly.

Skyryder

Can we re-enact Guy Fawkes? Pleeeease.......... :devil2:

McJim
26th October 2009, 12:53
480,000 motorcycle license holders

However many of those licence holders are not 100% bikie. some of them will feel as disafected as me by having my other hobbies and past-times held up as sacrificial lambs by the very very small minority of motorcyclists for whom motorcycles are the be all and end all.

The polititians are better aware of this than you and will be laughing at your ability to whittle the potential support of 480,000 m/cycle licence holders down to 100,000 when you attack parents. Down to 70,000 when you attack rugby players, 50,000 when you attack kick-boxers, 30,000 when you exclude skiers and snowboarders, 10,000 when you have a go at cyclists and so on.

The policies that we develop to deal with this inequity should not themselves be as punitive and unfair as the proposal we are supposedly fighting.

I have already lost the taste for this campaign thanks to your comments and I'm sure I am not the only one.

I'll pay my $250 extra per year or just sell the bike.

Ender EnZed
26th October 2009, 13:39
And not all of those licence holders have bikes or anything to do with them. Not everyone got born again.

The Greens seem to be most significant force we have on our side on this issue. No one needs to catch anything particularly green for BRONZ to work with them for a far more effective effort than we'll get if bikers are only defending their money and Greens are only defending ACC from privatisation.