PDA

View Full Version : Who's up for a flash protest ride this week?

Ixion
24th October 2009, 19:34
Double dipper.

Nice bit: Say thank you to the Greens (Official Good Bastards) at their "electorate" HQ and delvier choccies.

Nasty bit: Say "Hands off our bikes y' bastard " at John Key's electorate office in Kumeu. And deliver protest letter and primary scholl arithmetic book. (since he and ACC plainly can't do simple arithmetic) .

Both presumably weekdays 9 to 5 gigs.

Kick up some dates and times that work

PirateJafa
24th October 2009, 21:29
Friday maybe.

Got a exam on Thursday, so have to aim to be somewhat sober then. But Friday should be good.

rainman
24th October 2009, 21:37
I'd be keen but I have a fairly busy week (and it's a short one too). Afternoons are best...

But pick your time and I'll see if I can make it.

Squiggles
24th October 2009, 21:38
Ya can do most days except Friday :)

metalhead
24th October 2009, 22:24
maybe, if i can find some way of tearing my eyes away from the most engrossing law texts lol

gwigs
24th October 2009, 22:42
Will do my best to make it to any protests....
It depends on my workflow but I,m keen

TOTO
24th October 2009, 22:59
TOTO can to tuesday and wednesday.

Phurrball
25th October 2009, 10:37
Any weekday thst ISN'T Monday or Friday...

Sounds good to me.

Ixion
27th October 2009, 14:37
Who's up for a flash protest ride this week?
<hr style="color: rgb(209, 209, 225); background-color: rgb(209, 209, 225);" size="1"> <!-- / icon and title --> <!-- message --> Double dipper.

Nice bit: Say thank you to the Greens (Official Good Bastards) at their "electorate" HQ and deliver choccies.

Nasty bit: Say "Hands off our bikes y' bastard " at John Key's electorate office in Kumeu. And deliver protest letter and primary school arithmetic book. (since he and ACC plainly can't do simple arithmetic) .

Both presumably weekdays 9 to 5 gigs.

Kick up some dates and times that work

Looking like Thursdayish. Aroundish middayish. Ish.

I started this in the SMC forum , for some unknown reason. So it's probably morphed into SMC time

SpankMe
27th October 2009, 14:40
Just drove past there last weekend. Yep, keen to take it to his office. Start a calendar event with attendance to see how many will come. I Might even do a mail (spam) out.

Ixion
27th October 2009, 14:41
Thursdayish ? Middayish ish. +/- the usual SMC variation

Maha
27th October 2009, 14:42
Thursday eh?...just check my day planner..........yup, im free!

SpankMe
27th October 2009, 14:44
doh! should of looked closer at suggested day. Weekdays are a bit hard to do. I assume no ones there at the weekends?

The Stranger
27th October 2009, 14:47
Auckland Meeting Friday 30 October
6.00pm Mecca Cafe, Cnr Nuffield St & Remuera Rd, Newmarket.
Roger Kerr, Executive Director of the Roundtable
Hon Rodney Hide and Hon Heather Roy

Ixion
27th October 2009, 14:48
OK. Was thursday. Went for Wednesday cos someone siad that was better. Thursday suits me better so I'll revert

Thursday it is.

caseye
27th October 2009, 15:11

I'd be on for this one TS! Also off to Hammy on Saterday for their one as well.

Maha
27th October 2009, 15:15
OK. Was thursday. Went for Wednesday cos someone siad that was better. Thursday suits me better so I'll revert

Thursday it is.

And where would you like to meet?
Point B is clear but point A is not, or did I miss sumfink?

klingon
27th October 2009, 15:18

That one needs its own protest event! It's also outside office hours for those who find it easier.

Ixion, do you have a maths book for Mr Hyde as well?

jafar
27th October 2009, 15:25
I for one can't just bugger off in the middle of the week to go wind up some politician. Is there anything we can do on weekends ??:argh:

caseye
27th October 2009, 15:33
Check the calendar Jafar, theres 1 protest ride here in Dorkland on Sunday and one in Hammytron on Saturday, there ya go mate.

oldrider
27th October 2009, 15:34
Give them all (those in the government) a maths book! :argh:

We can't afford favourites when they are kicking our rice bowl and those previously in power created the problem anyway! :spanking:

Don't forget about the real culprits either, The "Automobile Association" they are the clandestine instigators of this! :angry2: Bastards!

Ixion
27th October 2009, 15:37
And where would you like to meet?
Point B is clear but point A is not, or did I miss sumfink?

I'm sure I put that in. 'S gotten lorst.

Greens office is Unit 8 , 1 Porters Ave , Off New Nth Rd, just before the wiggly jiggley bit to Dom Rd.

Either meet there,. or if want dramatic effect, maybe assemble in galbraith's carpark first?

Ixion
27th October 2009, 15:39
Hm. Maybe the chiller could adjourn to the Mecca cafe once Starta closes. Wasn't the Mecca a short lived rival to the Ace?

Hyde would have the balls to come out, but he'd just tell us that privatisation will fix everything

klingon
27th October 2009, 16:05
I for one can't just bugger off in the middle of the week to go wind up some politician. Is there anything we can do on weekends ??:argh:

Don't worry jafar, you won't miss out!

Remember there are 120-something current MPs in this country. They all need a personal visit from us! :woohoo:

NONONO
27th October 2009, 17:22
So that's Thursday, no Wednesday, at mid day ish (what? between 11 and 13.00?) from somewhere to a few other places........
FFS, at least give me the year so I can let the boss know approximately when I'll be gone....

www.tomcc.co.nz have a great poster which I suspect may be seen around the Kingsland area soon, unless I can stop the swine who would fly post such things (not illegal, but slightly unpeaceable).

DMNTD
27th October 2009, 18:46
I'll attend once a solid start time/place is posted. Just need to give a wee bit of notice at work plus will inform all of my customers that may be able to attend too.

Zuki lover
27th October 2009, 18:53
Would love to join you, but short week, and can't afford the time off - boss not so forthcoming with short notice either :argh:

Morcs
27th October 2009, 19:05
What DMNTD said.

Kiwi Graham
27th October 2009, 19:10
Firm it all up and I'm in.

cowpatz
27th October 2009, 20:07
Yeah I would be keen. Where would the meeting point be ...Shell Westgate....or if we want to do better could meet for early lunch at Shelly Beach (nice cafe about 30 min North of Kumeu, nice road too) then ride on mass to the office afterward. Really wish we had the protest shirts.

Ixion
27th October 2009, 20:45
We gotta go to the Green office first. Assemble Galbraiths car park northern end , aligned WNW , 12:41:36 hours, Thursday 29th Nov 2009 (precise enough ?)

Thence done the North Rd, to Porter Ave, say Thankee to the Greens, as Official Good Bastards, then back up to the NW motorway in Newton Rd (is it? ). Then to the West Gate to pick up anyone waiting thence to Kumeu to jeer at the arithmetically challenged gentlman (Official Evil Bastards) .

Littlewheels
27th October 2009, 22:21
sent emails to all MPs I could, this reply from Big Jim
Thank you for your message regarding the proposal to increase the ACC levy payable by owners of motor bikes, in some cases by several hundred per cent.

I am opposed to this for two principal reasons:

The first is that it is not necessary. The ACC fund is not in a financial crisis as the current National led government claims. The scheme as originally constituted was a ‘pay as you go’ scheme i.e. the levies received in any one year meet the requirements for payments in that year. In fact the recent history of the scheme has been that the income more than meets the payment requirements. The same applies to, for example, national superannuation. In that case the identification of the effect of the ‘baby boom’ generation coming to retirement and creating a demand ‘bulge’ on the commitment to pay universal pensions at a reasonable level can be anticipated and planned for ( the so-called ‘Cullen’ fund). If the ACC funding was in crisis this could be handled in the same way, but it is not in crisis and no amount of insisting that it is on the part of the present Minister can make it so.

The problem arises because the current government insists that all of the future financial obligations of the fund must be funded in the present. That would make sense if the ACC was an insurance scheme – which it is not and was never intended to be. It makes even more sense if the government has a hidden agenda – which looks increasingly likely – to privatise the ACC or farm parts of it out to insurance companies. In those circumstances, a fully funded scheme in which the fund has been paid for by taxpayers would look a very attractive proposition to a private insurer, but it is one to which I am entirely opposed.

The second reason is that the ACC scheme was never intended to be a user pays scheme in which those who allegedly incur specific costs must, as a group, also meet those costs in full. The scheme is intended to draw upon the overall resources of the community to ensure that those who suffer an accident do not find themselves disadvantaged because they cannot afford treatment or rehabilitation, or meet the expenses associated with a lengthy court case. I note that Sir Owen Woodhouse, whose report led to the setting up of the scheme in 1973 has very recently said precisely that. Saying that motor cyclists must pay much more than presently because they are ‘responsible’ for their accidents not only breaches the principal behind the scheme, it also re-introduces the notion of fault into the scheme when it was set up in the first place to avoid it.

Please be assured that I will be opposing the proposed increased levy and that we in the Progressive Party are committed to restoring the scheme to its original basis when we return to government.

Warm regards,

Jim Anderton
MP for Wigram
Progressive Party Leader

Littlewheels
27th October 2009, 22:22
Thank you for your message regarding the proposal to increase the ACC levy payable by owners of motor bikes, in some cases by several hundred per cent.

I am opposed to this for two principal reasons:

The first is that it is not necessary. The ACC fund is not in a financial crisis as the current National led government claims. The scheme as originally constituted was a ‘pay as you go’ scheme i.e. the levies received in any one year meet the requirements for payments in that year. In fact the recent history of the scheme has been that the income more than meets the payment requirements. The same applies to, for example, national superannuation. In that case the identification of the effect of the ‘baby boom’ generation coming to retirement and creating a demand ‘bulge’ on the commitment to pay universal pensions at a reasonable level can be anticipated and planned for ( the so-called ‘Cullen’ fund). If the ACC funding was in crisis this could be handled in the same way, but it is not in crisis and no amount of insisting that it is on the part of the present Minister can make it so.

The problem arises because the current government insists that all of the future financial obligations of the fund must be funded in the present. That would make sense if the ACC was an insurance scheme – which it is not and was never intended to be. It makes even more sense if the government has a hidden agenda – which looks increasingly likely – to privatise the ACC or farm parts of it out to insurance companies. In those circumstances, a fully funded scheme in which the fund has been paid for by taxpayers would look a very attractive proposition to a private insurer, but it is one to which I am entirely opposed.

The second reason is that the ACC scheme was never intended to be a user pays scheme in which those who allegedly incur specific costs must, as a group, also meet those costs in full. The scheme is intended to draw upon the overall resources of the community to ensure that those who suffer an accident do not find themselves disadvantaged because they cannot afford treatment or rehabilitation, or meet the expenses associated with a lengthy court case. I note that Sir Owen Woodhouse, whose report led to the setting up of the scheme in 1973 has very recently said precisely that. Saying that motor cyclists must pay much more than presently because they are ‘responsible’ for their accidents not only breaches the principal behind the scheme, it also re-introduces the notion of fault into the scheme when it was set up in the first place to avoid it.

Please be assured that I will be opposing the proposed increased levy and that we in the Progressive Party are committed to restoring the scheme to its original basis when we return to government.

Warm regards,

Jim Anderton
MP for Wigram
Progressive Party Leader

Ixion
27th October 2009, 22:24
I got a six pack of Good Bastards Dark Ale on it's way to JA and a thank you card. He is an Official Good Bastard

Excuse . I have to go and wash my mouth out with vitriol now.

Clean_up
28th October 2009, 01:12
so thursday afternoon then? Galbraiths Carpark? what is the exact time of meeting? 12:30? Count me in :)

phred
28th October 2009, 10:00
Thursday good for me. What time we meet and where?

klingon
28th October 2009, 10:20
I can't come along! :crybaby:

Wonderful idea though! Good on you lot! (And no drinking the beer en route)

JohnR
28th October 2009, 11:48
Yep. I'm in... where is this Galbraiths carpark of which you speak?

klingon
28th October 2009, 11:50

City end of Mt Eden Road. Right on the corner of Mt Eden, Symonds St & New North Roads.

What... you've never been to the Best Boutique Biker Beer Bar?

JohnR
28th October 2009, 11:57
City end of Mt Eden Road. Right on the corner of Mt Eden, Symonds St & New North Roads.

:
:2thumbsupThanks... I'm beginning to realise how sheltered my life has been:(

jeffs
28th October 2009, 12:46
I'll be there with a few others. 12:30 Galbraiths car park.

FastBikeGear
28th October 2009, 13:44
Double dipper.

Nice bit: Say thank you to the Greens (Official Good Bastards) at their "electorate" HQ and delvier choccies.

Nasty bit: Say "Hands off our bikes y' bastard " at John Key's electorate office in Kumeu. And deliver protest letter and primary scholl arithmetic book. (since he and ACC plainly can't do simple arithmetic) .

All in favour of letting the Greens know that they have won support from the biking community. I'll gladly join you on Thursday for this.

However I think insulting John Key is not in our interests. Sure let him know that he could loose votes from bikers and put our view across (as you did so well on the TV) but let's not make this personal and insulting.

No one ever changed anyones mind by insulting them (Not a marketing strategy I have ever seen).

swbarnett
28th October 2009, 13:52
Otherwise known as Meeting Room G when I used to work around the corner.

phred
28th October 2009, 13:53

Strangely - Next to Galbraiths Pub. OOps was that out loud?

cowpatz
28th October 2009, 14:44
Just wondering if there is any point as John Key is in Japan.
Who will we be protesting to?

Morcs
28th October 2009, 14:51
Just wondering if there is any point as John Key is in Japan.
Who will we be protesting to?

Its just an excuse to get off work early and go the pub!

Maha
28th October 2009, 15:27

I think I am going to get lost (where have I heard that before?) henyway....I best squiz over a map type thing, that part of ther City is unfamiliar to me.

jeffs
28th October 2009, 17:05
One thing though, even if the greens like bikes, I'm still not voting for them :)

klingon
28th October 2009, 17:09
One thing though, even if the greens like bikes, I'm still not voting for them :)

No need to. Just be sure to tell the Nats that you are considering voting for a party that opposes the ACC levy changes. By the time the 2011 elections come around I'm sure you will have had a chance to change your mind.

caseye
28th October 2009, 19:29
Count me as in,phew more protest rides in a week than I've normally ridden in a month, cool! Vote ? for the greens? not bloody likely, least it wasn't until now.

cowpatz
28th October 2009, 19:56
I think I am going to get lost (where have I heard that before?) henyway....I best squiz over a map type thing, that part of ther City is unfamiliar to me.

It's easy. Just go to the end of the North western Motorway and turn left at the end. Go past the Westgate shopping center (beside the end of the motorway). Follow SH16 markings until you come to the Kumeu village. The next village is Huapai. John Key's electoral office is on SH16 on the left hand side not far past the fire station..

Ixion
28th October 2009, 20:38
Argggh. That's to Kumeu. We got to go to Greenie Central first.

They been good bastards, we got to come through with a thank you.

First Galbariths THEN Kumeu

Maha
28th October 2009, 21:30
It's easy. Just go to the end of the North western Motorway and turn left at the end. Go past the Westgate shopping center (beside the end of the motorway). Follow SH16 markings until you come to the Kumeu village. The next village is Huapai. John Key's electoral office is on SH16 on the left hand side not far past the fire station..

Yes yes I know all that, I was talking about Galbraiths, but I now know how to find it :scooter:

Pixie
29th October 2009, 06:55
I will join the group on it's way to Key's electoral office.I'll wait at the corner of Old North rd.
I'm afraid if I get too close to a coven of hippies,I'll kill too many.
Thus,I will do them the service of withholding my presence.

klingon
29th October 2009, 07:03
I will join the group on it's way to Key's electoral office.I'll wait at the corner of Old North rd.
I'm afraid if I get too close to a coven of hippies,I'll kill too many.
Thus,I will do them the service of withholding my presence.

Not if we catch you first and add you to our compost. :girlfight:
Mmmm blood & bone for the garden! :2thumbsup

Pixie
29th October 2009, 07:37
Not if we catch you first and add you to our compost. :girlfight:
Mmmm blood & bone for the garden! :2thumbsup

I have a colony of voracious worms living in a stack of old motorcycle tyres.
Helps to dispose of the bodies.

The ironing is delicious!

Ozzie
29th October 2009, 14:03
done and dusted, thanks to the 13 or so, and two cops that turned out for this

Maha
29th October 2009, 14:44
Do you think I could find Galbraiths?.....na ah....went and saw the lovely folk at Mt Eden (the bike shop not the Prison) had a very nice chap make me a coffee, and it was his birthday. Anyway, Tammy told me where the pub was, and I had already been past it several times by then....:whistle:

Keumu was lovely

Ixion
29th October 2009, 14:46
That went very well. Apart from the other 12 riders getting lost.

The look on the face of the Green dude when a dozen scarey bikers invaded his little office was priceless.

But they were very happy and pleased when I explained that they were now Official Good Bastards, and trotted out Good Bastards beer and choccies.

The chick at John Key's office, on the other hand , could have cut diamonds with her frozen face. I guess the reason she took ages to answer the door was because she was busy calling up the plod.

I hope John is pleased with his maths book.

Nice friendly cops, but

Waxxa
29th October 2009, 14:52
Well done guys. Wish I could have joined ya. :2thumbsup

Kiwi Graham
29th October 2009, 15:30
Happy to have made up the 'numbers'. Got off my sick bed to attend!
Good to catch up with Maha, wished I'd thought about the coffee at Edens first bugger.
The poor frosty chick at Keys office must have been on the phone to the Rozzers, two of them turned up!! spoke to the second one (a pom), nice bloke who also commented on how SH16 is full of speeding cages today and he's been filling his quota quite nicley.

Ixion
29th October 2009, 15:47
Now. When and where for the next one.

Does the Paula chick have an office ? (I manfully resisted a lewd mis-spelling there , I am not pure).

Or Rodders ? Since he cant write a sane response

caseye
29th October 2009, 15:50
Was worth the effort of getting away from work to attend.Cheers for an interesting , to say the least, journey there Ixion.

Ixion
29th October 2009, 16:02
Do try to keep up next time chaps. I got bored waiting by the road side. (And, to forestall the inevitable person, I never exceeded the speed limit by more than the allowed 10kph))

Mom
29th October 2009, 16:08
The chick at John Key's office, on the other hand , could have cut diamonds with her frozen face. I guess the reason she took ages to answer the door was because she was busy calling up the plod.

That female is the quintessential guard receptionist :yes:

Bloody revolting to talk to on the phone too, and frankly quite rude. Mind you, she must have been expecting something, I rang a couple of times earlier on before you got this ride planned, I had in mind to visit the office with a few hundred of my friends and say hello, still might actually :innocent:

Ozzie
29th October 2009, 16:13
Do try to keep up next time chaps. I got bored waiting by the road side. (And, to forestall the inevitable person, I never exceeded the speed limit by more than the allowed 10kph))

What EVA!

My speedo aint that far out!

:oi-grr:

klingon
29th October 2009, 16:28
Great stuff! I'm just disappointed I couldn't join you!

To be fair on the poor woman at John Key's office, if I was working there on my own (knowing the place had been recently fire-bombed) and you lot showed up, I think I would have locked the door and climbed out the bathroom window! :pinch:

Still, you had a lovely day for a ride and a lovely chat with some nice polices. What fun!

JohnR
29th October 2009, 17:54
That went very well. Apart from the other 12 riders getting lost.

The look on the face of the Green dude when a dozen scarey bikers invaded his little office was priceless.

But they were very happy and pleased when I explained that they were now Official Good Bastards, and trotted out Good Bastards beer and choccies.

I hope John is pleased with his maths book.

Nice friendly cops, but

Most enjoyable... can think of worse ways to spend a sunny, if very windy, thursday arvo.

Lost is a relative term!
If not being able keep up with a BMW:scooter: that has a Police calibrated speedo (probably last done in 1999!), without one's licence flashing before one's eyes,:Police: constitutes lost... then yes I was lost.:yes:

caseye
29th October 2009, 20:49
"If not being able keep up with a BMW that has a Police calibrated speedo (probably last done in 1999!), without one's licence flashing before one's eyes, constitutes lost... then yes I was lost."
Me too then, LOL.

jeffs
29th October 2009, 23:09
Sorry guys I posted the photos to the Bronz link not this thread. Here they are now.

Maha
30th October 2009, 06:27
Quite a few 'toots' yesterday from passing truckers and car as we were parked the 'Key Whare'...guessing they knew what it was all about?
I mean, not many would just toot at a dozen bikes parked on the side of the road right?

klingon
30th October 2009, 07:34
Quite a few 'toots' yesterday from passing truckers and car as we were parked the 'Key Whare'...guessing they knew what it was all about?
I mean, not many would just toot at a dozen bikes parked on the side of the road right?

True, Maha. I reckon we've got good public support at the moment - lets keep that and build on it!

Something similar happened when we were outside the Nat Conference in Mangere a few weekends ago, and that was quite early in the campaign. I think there are a lot of "supporters" out there who used to ride, or want to ride, or have a friend or family member who rides. :banana:

Bounce001
30th October 2009, 07:35
Awesome work everyone. Wish I could have been there.

I have been on to my local MP (Pukekohe/Hunua) and there is a 'pizza & politics' evening coming up on Friday 13th November in Pukekohe where we can talk to our MP. They are having Paula Bennett as a guest speaker. Perhaps we can get a few of us together to attend this meeting?

Ozzie
30th October 2009, 08:30

I have been on to my local MP (Pukekohe/Hunua) and there is a 'pizza & politics' evening coming up on Friday 13th November in Pukekohe where we can talk to our MP. They are having Paula Bennett as a guest speaker. Perhaps we can get a few of us together to attend this meeting?

I'd be keen, do you know where and when? Who's the local member for Puke?

Ixion
30th October 2009, 08:56

Sounds good. Is it a public meeting?

We all live in Pukekohe , right?

Bounce001
30th October 2009, 09:55
Sounds good. Is it a public meeting?

We all live in Pukekohe , right?

The MP is Paul Hutchison. Paula Bennett is the guest speaker and it is open to the general public. Details below:

Date: Friday 13th November 2009
Time: 5:30pm
Venue: The Anglican Church Hall
Cnr Queen St & Wesley St
Pukekohe

This is a great chance for those in the area that haven't already spoken (harrassed?) their MP to do so as he will be there in person.

Ozzie
30th October 2009, 09:59
The MP is Paul Hutchison.

Which race of lying arses is he from? Is he a Nat?

Ixion
30th October 2009, 10:04
What! the moneylenders have sneaked back into the temple?

We definately need to go along.

Bounce001
30th October 2009, 10:07
Which race of lying arses is he from? Is he a Nat?

Yes he is a Nat. (Not voted for by me!). He is the MP for the Hunua electorate.

Ozzie
30th October 2009, 10:18
Cool, sounds like a target to me.

You want to start a calendar event and new thread?

Bounce001
30th October 2009, 10:35
Cool, sounds like a target to me.

You want to start a calendar event and new thread?

Done. Have started new thread and put in calendar. We almost need a separate calendar for ACC protest events!

Ozzie
2nd November 2009, 11:27
Oops, wrong thread

dpex
2nd November 2009, 19:10

ACT holds it Annual General in a Cafe? Jesus now there's a funny.

Yup. I reckon we go for the cafe meeting.