PDA

View Full Version : What bike should I get?

samp4991
24th October 2009, 21:18
Hey im going to go get my learners next weekend (im 15) and i was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas on what bike i should get. Im 73 kilos and 6' tall. Ive only ridden my dads gn250 in a alley way so i dont have much experience.

thanks

YellowDog
24th October 2009, 21:21
Loads of bikes to choose from, but it is quite a personal and individual choice.

Get yourself a shortlist together and then go and sit on them all until you find one that feels really comfortable to learn your survival skills on.

howdamnhard
24th October 2009, 21:25
Work out what you want to use it for and what your budget is . Also include your riding gear in your budget. Nakeds (unfaired bikes) are cheaper if you drop them. Do a search as this question has been asked many a time before. GN's are cheapish to run and forgiving but lack grunt and you may outgrow it quickly.

Muppet
24th October 2009, 21:26
Hey im going to go get my learners next weekend (im 15) and i was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas on what bike i should get. Im 73 kilos and 6' tall. Ive only ridden my dads gn250 in a alley way so i dont have much experience.

thanks

How much cash you got fella?

sil3nt
24th October 2009, 21:32
Need to know 2 things. How much money you got and what style bike.

Cruiser
Naked
Sports
Sports-Tourer
Something else.

samp4991
24th October 2009, 21:36
Hey im thinking of up to 2500 for the bike itself.(its not a big budget but im only 15 and i work part time at a supermarket haha)i wouldnt mind a sports bike.

mikeey01
24th October 2009, 21:38
i was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas on what bike i should get.

A Red one!

ducatilover
24th October 2009, 21:41
V twin :done:
I sold my Spada for 2300. [I think] :stupid:

Chrislost
24th October 2009, 21:51

thanks

Get a decent (read not GPX/ninja/hyosung) 250 twin. The only in line 4 i would bother with in the 250 range is the hornet, CBR/ZXR have all had people like me own them and are raped.
Ive *heard* that the GSXR 250s are to stay away from as they like to go bang, never seen one do it tho.

BikerDazz
24th October 2009, 21:53
Hey bro
I've just got my Learners too and after asking the same question as you I've purchased a Yamaha Scorpio 225. I had 3k to spend and that's what I got the bike for (+ free helmet), but then gloves, boots, jacket etc...

It's an easy bike to ride and handles well around town; for the money you have to spend I'd say the Scorpio is a good option.

Muppet
24th October 2009, 22:25
Hey im thinking of up to 2500 for the bike itself.(its not a big budget but im only 15 and i work part time at a supermarket haha)i wouldnt mind a sports bike.

You'll get there, when I was 15 I had my dads cb175, do yourself a real favour and do a riding course

samp4991
24th October 2009, 22:27
im doing a practice course when i go to get my basic handling skills certificate.

gazmascelle
24th October 2009, 22:44
I can't recommend anything (only learner-legal bike I've owned is a gsx250, gutless as hell, couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding) but found this page helpful when buying bikes:

http://www.clarity.net/~adam/buying-bike.html

TuonoTom
25th October 2009, 11:41
CBR250RR. Not that I'm biased :p

But seriously, something like a scorpio would be good at that price. The inline 4 250s are stupidly expensive. And definitely do a riding course. I did one with Mainland driving school when I first started, best $200 I've spent on anything bike related. And when you're a little more experience, get out on a race track. Make sure you get good gear too, I spent about $1000 getting a helmet, boots, jacket, pants and gloves.

Have fun out there.

XP@
25th October 2009, 20:20
Your 6' tall, get a tall bike!

Road legal dirt bike (or motard) would be my choice if I was doing it again. They are great about town, designed to be almost indestructible and you can learn the art of gravel riding on them which really helps on the road. All in all much more fun than a gn.

ready4whatever
25th October 2009, 22:23
Buy something basic and cheap to learn on; e.g scorpio vtr250 or another gn there nothing wrong with them. gain your survival skills then upgrade to something with more swag. good luck and welcome to Kiwi Biker

cheesemethod
25th October 2009, 22:23
Get a perm!
Actually you should get a GN250 and you might have a bit left over for gear too. I'm 6'1 and 90somethingkg, and I can happily ride Auckland to Whangarei in one go without feeling sore. I've found mine a great learners experience and they can do corners at some pretty respectable speeds. Plus hoes love the chrome :laugh:

Laxi
25th October 2009, 22:42
GN250..... corners..... speed

???:no::no:

cheesemethod
25th October 2009, 22:50
They're a small, light bike with plenty of rear tire and a flat torque curve. Ditch the plastic factory tires and they're great in the twistys.

Conquiztador
26th October 2009, 07:00
Welcome aboard KB.

Go to the shops and ask what they have under $2.5K. Sit on them. Ask for a testride. Then go with your gut feeling. And before you spend your money have someone with bike knowledge to look her over.

Or use the shops to figure out what you really do want. Then get one on TM for less.

Just remember that the 250 is not for life, only until you get your full and you upgrade. Said that, at 15 two years will seem like a lifetime...

Two second hand bikes I would personally stay away from (someone else has already taken them to the km's they can handle before a serious rebuild is needed):
- The Chinese GN250's. (The earlier Japanese ones are bullet proof and you recognise them from that the Japanese ones have wire wheels)
- Hyosung 250. I still have to be convinced that Koreans can make other things than cheap 50cc scooters...

ducatilover
26th October 2009, 11:06
They're a small, light bike with plenty of rear tire and a flat torque curve. Ditch the plastic factory tires and they're great in the twistys.

GN250's are the devils spawn. I had one and did 10000km in three months, it was shit, slow, did not handle even with sport demons [it was decked out everywhere]. With the better rubber I fucked the swing arm bushings and ground the pegs to nothingness. They are horrid and pathetic. A road legal dirt bike is a far better option. I would rather have a rancid pustule growing in my arse than own another GN250. The torque curve is not flat, it is non-existent. :2guns::2guns:

cheesemethod
26th October 2009, 11:29
GN250's are the devils spawn. I had one and did 10000km in three months, it was shit, slow, did not handle even with sport demons [it was decked out everywhere]. With the better rubber I fucked the swing arm bushings and ground the pegs to nothingness. They are horrid and pathetic. A road legal dirt bike is a far better option. I would rather have a rancid pustule growing in my arse than own another GN250. The torque curve is not flat, it is non-existent. :2guns::2guns:

I must be an idiot and suck at riding then, cause mine seems to work just fine. Yes, it could do with a bit more power, I won't argue with that. I suppose I'll start bagging the shit of my GN when I become as cool as you.

ducatilover
26th October 2009, 11:32
I must be an idiot and suck at riding then, cause mine seems to work just fine. Yes, it could do with a bit more power, I won't argue with that. I suppose I'll start bagging the shit of my GN when I become as cool as you.

Hit a nerve did I? :whocares: Don't take it as a personal attack :no:
I was saying what I thought of my GN, from my own experience. Mine was an 04 [chinese assembled] which may have not helped it's case.

Ender EnZed
26th October 2009, 11:35
Get a Spada.

cheesemethod
26th October 2009, 11:49
Hit a nerve did I? :whocares: Don't take it as a personal attack :no:
I was saying what I thought of my GN, from my own experience. Mine was an 04 [chinese assembled] which may have not helped it's case.

Sorry dude, it's just insulting a man's bike is worse than insulting his wife lol. Actually I do see things from that perspective sometimes, it just gets old on here. Mine's a '06 chinese one that I've done about 20,000km on so far and all I've had to spend on it is oil and tyres. The chrome is shit but other than that the thing is pretty mint. I just think that they're a great bike for learners because there are too many squids going around comparing top speeds with 6 months riding under their belts. I'd rather pick up a near new GN250 (I got mine for under 2g with 4000km on it) than fly around on a dodgy old sports bike for 4g that could potentially fall apart any moment. Case and point of that was seeing a nsr 250 with L plates parked in a fence down the road from my parents place a month ago, the skid marks would suggest he was doing well over 100km/h in a 70 km/h area. Just seems to me that going fast is the only important thing to a lot of learners these days, and it gets them hurt.

SMOKEU
26th October 2009, 11:59
Buy an FZR1000. Cheap, fast and deadly; what more could you want in a learner bike?

ducatilover
26th October 2009, 12:30
Sorry dude, it's just insulting a man's bike is worse than insulting his wife lol. You can see why I don't have a wife then....
Perhaps I got unlucky with mine, I had quite a few electrical problems too, which as it turns out, are not covered under the factory warranty :blink: And I brought mine in june 05, it was an august 04 bike with just under 1500km [got it for 2700 and a good deal on gear to go with it]
I paid 3700 for my Spada when I wanted to get back on bikes after the inevitable crash for riding the wrong bike like a fuck wit, that gave me a better run than the GN. Untill it started going horribly wrong after 3 years of me riding it.

Get a Spada. Mine did well for what it was. Apart from all the things that went wrong...
The oil feed to the camchain tensioners are prone to getting partially blocked and this wears them, letting them warm up on the side stand also wears the cam lobes.

Buy an FZR1000. Cheap, fast and deadly; what more could you want in a learner bike? <_< Oh no....we couldn't recommend that :shifty:

Ender EnZed
26th October 2009, 13:01
I paid 3700 for my Spada when I wanted to get back on bikes after the inevitable crash for riding the wrong bike like a fuck wit, that gave me a better run than the GN. Untill it started going horribly wrong after 3 years of me riding it.

Mine did well for what it was. Apart from all the things that went wrong...
The oil feed to the camchain tensioners are prone to getting partially blocked and this wears them, letting them warm up on the side stand also wears the cam lobes.

You paid enough that it should've worked. I only did 20000km on mine but nothing went wrong. I'm guessing you ride fairly high distances based on
10000km in three months
The OP is 15 and probably isn't commuting to...Wellington...Napier...you didn't ride that far that fast on a GN for fun did you?

thanks

FWIW when I was 15 I bought a Spada for $2700, spent plenty on regular servicing at a shop, and sold it for $2400 immediately after getting my full. My view of the 250 market is that, in broad terms, singles are a bit gutless and 4 cylinders are a bit pointless. 2 strokes are scary and sound like they're melting. I would reccommend any (4 stroke) twin that doesn't break and cost you time/money. I certainly didn't have any bad experiences (other than crashing) with a Spada.

ducatilover
26th October 2009, 18:11
You paid enough that it should've worked. I only did 20000km on mine but nothing went wrong. I'm guessing you ride fairly high distances based on
The OP is 15 and probably isn't commuting to...Wellington...Napier...you didn't ride that far that fast on a GN for fun did you?

It started shagging out after three years [as stated] and 50000km [the Spada] Which isn't bad
I got mine fresh from Japan in 06 with 24km on the clock.
I was commuting from rural Eketahuna to Palmy every day, and a few hundred km in the weekends on top op that [so 170km a day, plus many more] It wasn't fun....nor was it fast haha :sunny:

2nd2last1
29th October 2009, 17:53
hey man...

r u in hamilton??? I'm 17 and just got me a gs500e thats pretty cool to step up from a 250. I had a GZ250. Like a model up of the GN i think that did me fine for my learners etc. I would take a look at the Honda CBR250's, the suzuki GSX250 or RGV150(if ya want something smaller) or RGV250, the Yamaha FZR250 or the GPX250... all a pretty cool looking, reliable bikes.

zjet
29th October 2009, 18:06
gear first bike next. Like most people i did this the other way round, but looking back i kinda wished i spent the good money on gear i could still have with me. Cheap gear just ends up costing more let alone not being as safe.

samp4991
29th October 2009, 19:10
Is this bike alright and its real cheap so i can get good gear. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=250239209, i dont need much power so yea...

2nd2last1
30th October 2009, 09:51
Is this bike alright and its real cheap so i can get good gear. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=250239209, i dont need much power so yea...

yeah that one looks alright ay... I got my mates one up to about 140km/h but thats kinda gunning it... yea I agree with that other guy. get good gear. I spent about $600 on my gear. Trademe still has good gear for cheap though.. look at 1tonne, waikato yamaha or boydhonda for good cheap brand new gear.

2nd2last1
30th October 2009, 09:57
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports/auction-250614445.htm

this one looks alright too... for cheap. lol