PDA

View Full Version : Honda XL 500 S

Pedrostt500
25th October 2009, 07:50
just brought me one of these beasties, Its pretty much complete, I'll give it a check over once i get it and hope fully take it down to get new REG and WOF.
I'll hopefully have it on the road for the Bikeoi 17th Nov. Will post some Pics when I get it next week.

Pedrostt500
1st November 2009, 20:38
Ok with any luck I'll load a couple of pics

Dooly
2nd November 2009, 14:48
Cool bikes, had one and some XR5s in my yoof.
Did good wheelies.:scooter:

XRVrider
2nd November 2009, 15:15
Nice buy, where you gonna ride it mostly. I had an XL500 but it was the red/silver one, wasnt as light as the XR500's and could hardly get the frontup.

Pedrostt500
2nd November 2009, 18:05
I've got a soft spot for Old Thumpers, trying to get it road legal at the moment, just ordered a horn, and need to get some more paper work sorted, Just had the Police check sighned off, now just need to get it sighned off by a JP, hopefully put it through a VINZ test on thursday.
She tries to get the front wheel up even with my weight on board, First real ride will be to a VJMC meet that I was invited to by a mate, think its in Taihape, though will confirm this latter in the week.

anoeldcx
9th November 2009, 22:00
Had one of these back in the early eighties..really enjoyed it. No worries getting the front wheel up back then :shifty:
She looks really original, nice going! Looks like original tyres too - how many k's on the clock?

Pedrostt500
6th December 2009, 09:05
Ok finaly got her on the road, thanks to the Guys and girls at Alicetown VTNZ, they are good to deal with, and just a couple of doors up the road from work.
She has Done about 17500 KMs though I doubt thats the actual number, I have picked up a new front tyre, that I have in storage, for latter, may put a slightly wider rear tyre on the back as the original is a bit of a biscuit, Will strip her down and give her a repaint some time in the near future.
Just intend taking it for local rides at the moment to asses reliability.

Pedrostt500
15th February 2010, 21:05
I had a feeling the clutch was slipping, so pulled the clutch cage out replaced the Fibre plates, the old ones looked ok ish, but having new ones on hand decided to replace them any way, also replaced the clutch springs, and these were the cause of the clutch slip, they were about 5mm shorter than the new ones, and the packing washers that a previous owner had used were only a short term fix.
Fitted a new set of handel bars in Gofassabenjired, after a Muppet from work decided to be daman and drop it on his leg, lucky for me breaking his leg, and not to much damage to the old girl.

Pedrostt500
1st March 2010, 22:12
Fitted a new back tyre and returned her to the standard sprocket sizes, she now launches quiet well from the traffic bumps on Jackson St Petone, I always knew they put those bumps there for a reason.