PDA

View Full Version : KTM 990/950 Adv thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Digitdion
25th October 2009, 16:41
Gidday There fella's!
Having seen other threads pertaining to other brand and model of bikes, I thought it was time to start up a dedicated 990 adv thread here on kiwibiker. A great chance to share info amongst our fellow kiwibikers who ride the big orange adventure animal.

Maybe show us photo's of your bike. Whatever really.

I will get things started. Here is a couple of picks.

Now, I do have alterior motives. I have a question for you regarding oil for the 990. I live in Queenstown. I have owned the bike for just over a year. Been getting servicing done in Dunedin at Mac & vietch. they are bloody good for a bike shop. However its a long way to go for a service. I will start doing it myself. Am not the best mechanically, but will sort it or even use a local bike mechanic. No official bike shops here, but a few bike mechanics. Theres a dude in Cromwell who has been recommended to me. He uses Maxima motor oil. Looks quality but will have to put in 15/50 instead of 10/50. Is this much of a major?
Are you boys still running motorex oil in the bike? Or what other oil are you now using? I will always put in a quality synthetic in her but would love to hear your experience. Type of oil, and how the bike has been with it.

Happy riding boys and girls
Cheers Dion

bart
25th October 2009, 17:26
I like that first shot. Lucky you didn't melt your eyeball. :laugh:

Eddieb
25th October 2009, 18:01
I bet Joe has already got that in his screensaver rotation.

dmc
25th October 2009, 18:23
I'll play.

Waihou Thumper
25th October 2009, 18:35
I add the little 640A to the Thread? I would hate to Hijack.....<_<
As long as it is Orange and above 601CC to keep it politically correct? Huh?
There is footage of the greedy, thirsty pig....too....(Oh, was I describing the bike?)....:done:
I mean to say, this is fairly limited here, not like the USA, Europe, Australia etc...We only got about 4 or 5 of each some years if we were lucky....
So...this thread could die, or get boring with the same photos of the same bikes...:eek:
I hear there is an endangered species paper out with Te Papa Atawhai!
:laugh: Be on the lookout for an Orange and black. sometimes silver, sometimes blue.....throaty Twin, can sometimes be disguised as a single...BUT, will be seldomly alone without big brother....:laugh:

dmc
25th October 2009, 20:17
No shortage of them around here, this was only some of the guys.

Waihou Thumper
25th October 2009, 20:27
No shortage of them around here, this was only some of the guys.

There is a puddle there....Use it...:eek:
Reflect the tones, the shades, the lovely colours....
I think I have something from a CCA ride, all lined up......

dmc
25th October 2009, 21:04
There is a puddle there....Use it...:eek:
Reflect the tones, the shades, the lovely colours....
I think I have something from a CCA ride, all lined up......

Ha, it wasn't my photo but I do believe one of the guys used the puddle in a different way.

Fluffy Cat
25th October 2009, 21:15
I would be quite happy to put any of the main brands full synthetic oils in my ADV. I have used Silkolene in my SP1 no probs for years. All the full synthetics are expensive so take your pick. I have only found one thing i would love to change on the 990. I would like a 30l tank. Thats it. Apart from that great bike.

Digitdion
25th October 2009, 21:42
I would be quite happy to put any of the main brands full synthetic oils in my ADV. I have used Silkolene in my SP1 no probs for years. All the full synthetics are expensive so take your pick. I have only found one thing i would love to change on the 990. I would like a 30l tank. Thats it. Apart from that great bike.

Cheers For that. I am now coming to that conclusion regarding oil. Just learning what my options are. Cheers!

I add the little 640A to the Thread? I would hate to Hijack.....<_<
As long as it is Orange and above 601CC to keep it politically correct? Huh?
There is footage of the greedy, thirsty pig....too....(Oh, was I describing the bike?)....:done:
I mean to say, this is fairly limited here, not like the USA, Europe, Australia etc...We only got about 4 or 5 of each some years if we were lucky....
So...this thread could die, or get boring with the same photos of the same bikes...:eek:
I hear there is an endangered species paper out with Te Papa Atawhai!
:laugh: Be on the lookout for an Orange and black. sometimes silver, sometimes blue.....throaty Twin, can sometimes be disguised as a single...BUT, will be seldomly alone without big brother....:laugh:

I do not have any problem myself with a few guest appearances from our little siblings. What do you other guys reckon?

Digitdion
25th October 2009, 21:45
I'll play.

Hay, DMC the bike on the right in the second photo, what type of tall screen is that? I am in the market for a taller version. I am 6ft 4.

Cheers Dion

dmc
25th October 2009, 22:08
Its some custom made one that came with my mates bike, the KTM Alien screens work pretty well, I use one on mine for longer rides as do alot of other guys with good results, otherwise a cut factory screen works really well on normal stuff.

ducatijim
26th October 2009, 08:27
For gods sake guys, good oil is good oil. Period.

Don't stress it!:done:

young1
26th October 2009, 10:52
Greetings from the Naki, plenty of the orange beasts up here too. Here are three of them at the end of Kiwi Rd heading to Whangamomona.

Dion, Phreaky Phil and I (along with our Partners) will be down your way over New Year on our bikes. Catch up for a drink if you are around?

Mike

Digitdion
26th October 2009, 11:24
For gods sake guys, good oil is good oil. Period.

Don't stress it!:done:

I get stressed riding the tits off the 990. Well, I try to ride the tits off it but I got along way to go. DJ, I can ride a bike, but am not so mechanical.Just getting some ideas Brother!

Greetings from the Naki, plenty of the orange beasts up here too. Here are three of them at the end of Kiwi Rd heading to Whangamomona.

Dion, Phreaky Phil and I (along with our Partners) will be down your way over New Year on our bikes. Catch up for a drink if you are around?

Mike

Sounds bloody good. Let me know when you are down. I do tend to have to work a load around that time but also would love to go for a blast with ya's. Keep in touch!

pampa
26th October 2009, 18:47
I've already posted this in another thread but well. This guy is mecanically minded and takes good care of the bike. I reckon some good info and ideas can be taken :shifty:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147440

Cheers,
Pampa

cooneyr
27th October 2009, 13:13
I'm in. 04 950 Adv S. I love this bike! Just back from a 1500km weekend with lots of seal, gravel, dirt, mud, river crossings, steep hills, riding in the dark over a track that was rutted, bog holes, steep gravel climbs and decents, wash outs, drop offs over bed rock steps yadda yadda yadda. All this will carrying full panniers and a tent and bed roll straped on the tail rack. For me (I'm 6'2" and 110kg) the 950 is THE bike to have.

I'd agree that a 30l tank would be nice but at over a grand for the 40l ones I'll stick with what I have.

I got a botle of Motorex 10-50 but wont be doing that again $140ish for 4l. Mobil 1 10-40 for me next time. Good instructions in the owners manual and on the KTMHOW (http://www.ktm950.info/) about how to do an oil change - not that I've done one myself yet.

Killed a 140 MT21 rear in about 2000kms, so back to the E07. Anybody know if the 150-70/18 E09 has appeared yet? Heard more talk about them over the weekend.

Got a rail rack laser cut for the bike a while back if anybody wants one. Thread with pics here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=102558).

Fluffy Cat
27th October 2009, 15:01
EEKs....:eek5:
Still have the scorps on mine. Keep thinking about something grippier but thats....Guess the 990 has a bit of torque. Have heard bad things on the ADV rider site about the 40l tanks. Dont really want 40l as its hard to pick up as it is. Dropped it again doing the Braeburn, Porika tracks on Monday..its a big heavy pig when you drop it on a slope with an almost full tank. Then again its a pig heavy pig when you drop it any time...note to self..do not drop it. The crash bars have paid for themselves. Bombed home on the St Arnaud road the holiday traffic was horrendous!!!!...3 yes 3 cars. For the love of Peter i hate holiday traffic..:angry2:.

cooneyr
27th October 2009, 15:22
EEKs....:eek5:
Still have the scorps on mine. Keep thinking about something grippier but thats....

Yep and that was trying to be reasonably gental cause I was a long way from home with few shops let alone any open over the long weekend. Never expected them to last very long, they dont last very long on a DR650. A Dunlop D908rr would be the best option but at $350 each they are not cheap. The Mitas E07 does OK and will probably last about 6k kms.

Cheers R

Triwi
27th October 2009, 16:28
I'm getting good result from Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara rear.Better wear than Scorpion and slightly more aggressive. Still only for gravels not mud, but suits me, so far.
Triwi

Digitdion
27th October 2009, 20:12
I am bit of a noob when it comes to tyres for the beasty. I am still running scorps. Been well impressed overall. Except the front end given me the shits by letting go afew times.

So what shall I do? Run a tkc(or similar) on the front with the scorp on the back? Still ok on the road this combo?
Or just bit the bullet and treat myself to some knobblies all round. Blow the budget and have a blast of road. I know they will tranform the bike on the rougher stuff. Its a lot of cash to blow for a few thousand km's though.

Your thoughts are all appreciated!
Cheers Dion

cooneyr
27th October 2009, 21:26
I'm getting good result from Metzeler Enduro 3 Sahara rear.Better wear than Scorpion and slightly more aggressive. Still only for gravels not mud, but suits me, so far.
Triwi

I'd always though they were a bit closed up but this pic makes them look a fair bit more open than the Mitas E07. I'm keen to give one ago. What do you pay for one, where from and what sort of life?

Sahara
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a28/cou/Honda%20Transalp/Metzeler-enduro3-130-80-17.jpg

Mitas E07 in the middle (I'd like to try a E09 which are the ones on the outside)
http://atgreg.smugmug.com/photos/313868909_vaTc3-M.jpg

Cheers r

warewolf
27th October 2009, 21:46
The Saharas are OEM on the 640 Adventure. I didn't think they were particularly grippy off the seal, but are likely a good compromise. Front lasted 6400km and rear 4400. That's half the life of the TKC80 front but the same as the TKC80 rear. The TKC80 rear had way more grip off road and noticeably less on.

Most ppl don't buy them due to price. But 10 or so years ago, they were the de-facto standard tyre for RTW riders.

Oscar
28th October 2009, 11:39
The Saharas are OEM on the 640 Adventure. I didn't think they were particularly grippy off the seal, but are likely a good compromise. Front lasted 6400km and rear 4400. That's half the life of the TKC80 front but the same as the TKC80 rear. The TKC80 rear had way more grip off road and noticeably less on.

Most ppl don't buy them due to price. But 10 or so years ago, they were the de-facto standard tyre for RTW riders.

Vege muttered summat about larger Mitas tyres on the way, last time I was talking to him...

dmc
28th October 2009, 12:06
I am bit of a noob when it comes to tyres for the beasty. I am still running scorps. Been well impressed overall. Except the front end given me the shits by letting go afew times.

So what shall I do? Run a tkc(or similar) on the front with the scorp on the back? Still ok on the road this combo?
Or just bit the bullet and treat myself to some knobblies all round. Blow the budget and have a blast of road. I know they will tranform the bike on the rougher stuff. Its a lot of cash to blow for a few thousand km's though.

Your thoughts are all appreciated!
Cheers Dion

Stick a TKC on the front, they grip pretty good offroad and onroad, there are better out there but then you find they are more offroad or more onroad, the Scorp on the back is sweet for shingle roads and if its gets greasier then get a TKC/Dunlop/mitas blah blah on the back, everyone has there favourite but on the front I wouldn't run an E-09 as they don't seem to grip anywhere as well as a TKC on the road and for how long a TKC lasts on the front they are worth the extra few dollars.

warewolf
28th October 2009, 12:42
Vege muttered summat about larger Mitas tyres on the way, last time I was talking to him...Yep, that's been a pretty healthy rumour for some time - years.

Maybe Microsoft have bought Michelin's share of Mitas (thereby changing it from 'meetas' to 'mytas' ;)) and the 150s will be here Real Soon Now™

ie not until a competitor makes them! :whistle:

Fluffy Cat
28th October 2009, 13:44
Cool day, Hori Bay, then back on the Mangatapu Track. Only dropped the bike once.http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=148838&stc=1&d=1256693982

Digitdion
28th October 2009, 19:38
Stick a TKC on the front, they grip pretty good offroad and onroad, there are better out there but then you find they are more offroad or more onroad, the Scorp on the back is sweet for shingle roads and if its gets greasier then get a TKC/Dunlop/mitas blah blah on the back, everyone has there favourite but on the front I wouldn't run an E-09 as they don't seem to grip anywhere as well as a TKC on the road and for how long a TKC lasts on the front they are worth the extra few dollars.

Cheers Mate. Thats the info I like to hear first hand. Been mulling it over the a while. Looks like i will put a tkc on the front and keep scorp on back. For the riding I do this will work well I feel.

Great to see all my fellow Ktm big boys sharing and info, pictures etc on Kiwibiker. Bloody Awesome!

junkmanjoe
31st October 2009, 08:04
OK chaps..

its going to come out sooner or later.
so ive bitten the bullet and brought a 950.

been on the cards for a while to buy one. was chasing a 990 but was to slow of the mark..

so ive spend hours and hours reading about the bikes on adv and other sites and dribbling over photos.

so just sorting out ideas on setting up the luggage options, on my other thread.

and now looking in to tire choices.

pick up bike in two weeks..

so any advice will be well excepted.

JMJ

Padmei
31st October 2009, 08:06
Well done Joe. What colour? Any pics? Hopefully we'll hear the twin pipes rumbling down our way soon

junkmanjoe
31st October 2009, 08:10
im planing on doing the dusty padmai..
photos to come later on..

JMJ

dmc
31st October 2009, 10:05
im planing on doing the dusty padmai..
photos to come later on..

JMJ

I'm thinking of getting rid of my factory luggage and racks if your looking.

junkmanjoe
31st October 2009, 15:01
I'm thinking of getting rid of my factory luggage and racks if your looking.

yes ill be interested pm sent.

Digitdion
1st November 2009, 12:46
OK chaps..

its going to come out sooner or later.
so ive bitten the bullet and brought a 950.

been on the cards for a while to buy one. was chasing a 990 but was to slow of the mark..

so ive spend hours and hours reading about the bikes on adv and other sites and dribbling over photos.

so just sorting out ideas on setting up the luggage options, on my other thread.

and now looking in to tire choices.

pick up bike in two weeks..

so any advice will be well excepted.

JMJ

Good man! Congrats matey! You will never look back(excuse the pun).
When it comes to luggage I rate the plastic factory setup.They are quite wide , but for me this is not an issue at all. For me durability is key. Security for my stuff on bike is important too. These boxes are wicked.Pricey though, but worth it as they will last.
If you have to buy new ,ship it in from the states as you will save big time and you will not have to wait for 3 month.

cheers Dion

Digitdion
1st November 2009, 13:25
Just got back from a quick lap of lower South island. Great to have superb riding weather.Day one, a quick blast up to Franz from Queenstown. Day two a big day. Franz to Omarama via Arthurs pass, lake lyndon, Mackenzie and hakataramea passes, kurow to Omarama. Then a quick blast home to queeny.
Just clicked over 22000km's, and the bike is running real well. Just broken in!Lets hope I do not break it. I am getting a lot more aggressive with it on the gravel. What a bike! Here is a few pics.

Digitdion
1st November 2009, 13:31
Heres a few more with both my girls a few weeks ago on the Hakataramea and the old dunstan trail.

Hockenrider
1st November 2009, 14:30
Yep and that was trying to be reasonably gental cause I was a long way from home with few shops let alone any open over the long weekend. Never expected them to last very long, they dont last very long on a DR650. A Dunlop D908rr would be the best option but at $350 each they are not cheap. The Mitas E07 does OK and will probably last about 6k kms.

Cheers R

Hey if anyone out there is wanting a Dunlop 908 rear or a Michlein Desert rear 140/80/18 I have a couple in stock.

Pm me for prices .

Waihou Thumper
1st November 2009, 16:15
Just clicked over 22000km's, and the bike is running real well. Just broken in!

:gob: hehe....

junkmanjoe
1st November 2009, 21:48
im on the look out for a tank bag...keep ya eyes open if ya see one, on someones bike...can ya grab it.....:shit:....:nono:

and whos the chap that got the tail plate made up.

cheers.

JMJ

cooneyr
2nd November 2009, 07:06
...and whos the chap that got the tail plate made up.

cheers.

JMJ

That would be me. Thread here (http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=102558). $50 + P&P to get one laser cut and sent up or I email your the file and you email it to a local laser cutter. Happy to make changes i.e. width, logo etc if you want

Cheers R

junkmanjoe
10th November 2009, 20:04
Well its done....:woohoo:
im a poor man....:crybaby:
bank is empty.....:eek5:
papers signed......:yes:
bike is loaded on transport truck and is on the road tomorrow....:bye:

possibly due in welly, this friday or saturday...:woohoo:

JMJ

cooneyr
10th November 2009, 20:59

JMJ

Well done - welcome to the dark side ;)

Woodman
10th November 2009, 21:05
Good onya Joe.

Can I have a ride ?

Ruralman
10th November 2009, 21:20
Yep, that's been a pretty healthy rumour for some time - years.

Maybe Microsoft have bought Michelin's share of Mitas (thereby changing it from 'meetas' to 'mytas' ;)) and the 150s will be here Real Soon Now™

ie not until a competitor makes them! :whistle:

The ChCh Mitas importer emailed me back to a question on this - they will have a Mitas 150 x 70 x 18 available in Jan - its called an EO 10 but couldn't get any details on tread pattern.
In the mean time I've stuck on another Scorpian

junkmanjoe
10th November 2009, 22:04
i also have been talking to the mitas importer in Palmerston north.

yes called the E-10 i was told a tead pattern is a tight knob patten, he said more chunky than the E-07 but tighter than the E-09.....Ummmm ok...
due in store jan,, ive offered to test a set out for him...rear around the $160 front around $125....prices to be confirmed..

im going to give theses a try..hope they hang on as good as the E-09 does..

JMJ

junkmanjoe
10th November 2009, 22:05
Good onya Joe.

Can I have a ride ?

After seeing what you do to your bike.........NO.:scooter:

cooneyr
11th November 2009, 05:59
Thanks JMJ and Ruralman for this info. This is sounding all good.

Cheers R

young1
11th November 2009, 06:50

JMJ

You missed out the most important bit, what colour!!

Welcome to the KTM world

Mike

junkmanjoe
11th November 2009, 16:58
You missed out the most important bit, what colour!!

Welcome to the KTM world

Mike

opps sorry...sliver and black...

is some where between welly and christchurch...:scooter:

Waihou Thumper
11th November 2009, 17:28
opps sorry...sliver and black...

is some where between welly and christchurch...:scooter:
But Farrk me JMJ, the strait is pushing it...?:yes:
I know it is an Adventure bike but...You can't ride it across....:)

Digitdion
11th November 2009, 19:23
i also have been talking to the mitas importer in Palmerston north.

yes called the E-10 i was told a tead pattern is a tight knob patten, he said more chunky than the E-07 but tighter than the E-09.....Ummmm ok...
due in store jan,, ive offered to test a set out for him...rear around the $160 front around $125....prices to be confirmed..

im going to give theses a try..hope they hang on as good as the E-09 does..

JMJ

I like the sound of these. Will have to give them a try. Scorps are good but gotta try the mighty mita's. Will be interesting to see cost/ wear ratio.

Ruralman
11th November 2009, 19:30
Can you guys clarify something for me - I thought the 990 had a 23 litre tank.
The handbook says 19.5 litres , 4 litres reserve - it DOESN"T say whether those 4 litres are included or on top of the 19.5.
My fuel light comes on when it needs about 16 litres to fill !! - I'm beginning to think my total including reserve is only 19.5. I had one trip where I put about 18.5litres in it - I might have been a lot closer to walking than I thought !!!

Eddieb
11th November 2009, 19:40
I haven't got one but have done a considerable amount of reading, perving, drooling, checking my lotto ticket etc.

I thought they were ~20 litres total, minus the space taken up by the internal fuel pump.

junkmanjoe
11th November 2009, 19:41
I like the sound of these. Will have to give them a try. Scorps are good but gotta try the mighty mita's. Will be interesting to see cost/ wear ratio.

im on good terms with the mitas importer, im palmerston north, as i have brought all my last bikes tires through him, tubes e.t.c
as i sad, ive offered to buy the first set off him, and try them out..
he should have more info in later in the month, as ill be heading over to see him for spare tubes for the bike.
see what i can dig up.

JMJ

Woodman
11th November 2009, 20:07
After seeing what you do to your bike.........NO.:scooter:

Harsh very harsh

junkmanjoe
11th November 2009, 20:37
dont take it to heart.....:scooter:

Waihou Thumper
12th November 2009, 06:01
The handbook says 19.5 litres , 4 litres reserve - it DOESN"T say whether those 4 litres are included or on top of the 19.5.
My fuel light comes on when it needs about 16 litres to fill !! - I'm beginning to think my total including reserve is only 19.5. I had one trip where I put about 18.5litres in it - I might have been a lot closer to walking than I thought !!!

The blurb in the owners manual hasn't changed from the 950 to the 990...
So, yes, you have less capacity because of the internal fuel pump...
There is a bit of information on ADV (when I used to be a member, that is...:crybaby:) the Yanks were up in arms as they felt KTM misrepresented the details....
Capacity is correct, but they didnt say thet "this is what actually fits in the tank"
You were very close to parking it mate and walking...:sweatdrop

Crisis management
12th November 2009, 11:53

Panic.....not.

Total tank capacity is 21.5 litres-ish with a 3 litre reserve as part of that capacity, I have had 60 kms out of the reserve and probably had half a litre left at that point. I have also consumed shit loads of fuel on gravel giving it a handful and have seen the fuel consumption skyrocket so I was always a bit paranoid about how far a tank of gas would really take me, 300kms seemed to be a safe bet.

Ruralman
12th November 2009, 14:14
Panic.....not.

Total tank capacity is 21.5 litres-ish with a 3 litre reserve as part of that capacity, I have had 60 kms out of the reserve and probably had half a litre left at that point. I have also consumed shit loads of fuel on gravel giving it a handful and have seen the fuel consumption skyrocket so I was always a bit paranoid about how far a tank of gas would really take me, 300kms seemed to be a safe bet.

Hmmm - when I've been giving it a bit on the backroads the fuel light comes on in the 220's - bloody long way from there to 300 on the reserve if its only 3-4 litres !!!

Ruralman
12th November 2009, 14:18
The blurb in the owners manual hasn't changed from the 950 to the 990...
So, yes, you have less capacity because of the internal fuel pump...
There is a bit of information on ADV (when I used to be a member, that is...:crybaby:) the Yanks were up in arms as they felt KTM misrepresented the details....
Capacity is correct, but they didnt say thet "this is what actually fits in the tank"
You were very close to parking it mate and walking...:sweatdrop

That still states 22 litres - suggests that the reserve is additional to the 19 ??
What happens with these things if you run them dry - do they pick up the fuel ok when you put some in or are they tricky to get going again? I ask in case I should try to run it until it gasps its last bit of fuel and be carrying some to top it up

Fluffy Cat
12th November 2009, 15:16
No not tricky to get running again if run dry. Worst gas use i have had is 200k's to reserve then took it easier and got 40k's out of the reserve. The 990 really needs a 30 litre tank.

Oscar
12th November 2009, 16:00
No not tricky to get running again if run dry. Worst gas use i have had is 200k's to reserve then took it easier and got 40k's out of the reserve. The 990 really needs a 30 litre tank.

If the seat is the same as the 950, I'd never last 300km...

Box'a'bits
12th November 2009, 16:50
Harsh very harsh

Harsh, but true?? :crybaby:

junkmanjoe
12th November 2009, 16:56
we been told today by biketranz, it takes 9 days to drive a truck from Dunedin to Wellington...go figger..:blink:..so i wont see new bike for another week..
:angry:

JATZ
12th November 2009, 17:06
we been told today by biketranz, it takes 9 days to drive a truck from Dunedin to Wellington...go figger..:blink:..so i wont see new bike for another week..

FFS you could walk there quicker :bash:

junkmanjoe
12th November 2009, 17:08
mate..i will never do another deal like this one ever again...
i would have been better to have you go and pic it up..

JMJ

JATZ
12th November 2009, 17:10

JMJ

Offers still open..... MrsJatz would've enjoyed riding it back :shutup:

Waihou Thumper
12th November 2009, 17:22

JMJ

Amen Brudda! to that...:gob: worth the air fare alone to ride back through the hinterland. What better way to get to know your machine aye...:yes:
I hear an echo...lol
I might have mentioned this in the first instance...:innocent:

Crisis management
12th November 2009, 17:27
No not tricky to get running again if run dry.

There have been a few guys on ADV rider twitching about maintaining a level of fuel in the tank as the pump is reliant on being surrounded by fuel for cooling. I'm not sure if anyone has burnt a pump out from low fuel levels (I never bothered looking further into it) but it was a concern with some of them.

Secondary tank on the rear, change to a single left hand muffler seems to be the go.

Iain

junkmanjoe
12th November 2009, 17:50
Offers still open..... MrsJatz would've enjoyed riding it back :shutup:

Mrs Jatz might take better care of it.......
but its on a truck somewhere in nz.........
we dont know where it is.........

so if you see a biketranz truck,,,, stop it and see if my bike is in the back..:scooter:

will just have to wait it out i guess..

JMJ

Digitdion
12th November 2009, 21:05

I do not find the seat to bad at all. Maybe you should eat a few more burgers and put some extra pading on you arse!

And in regard to the fuel range, yeah the manual is ambiguous. When i got the bike I queried AMPS in regard to this they replied 22.5 including reserve of 4 litres. 18,5 plus 4 = 22.5. they never said anything about fuel pump reducing that litreage. With my riding style(re throttle) I bank on approx 300km on open road all up.Fuel light will come on about 250km. That can drop if off road on gravel or dirt giving it a fistful!
I have done almost 70km on reserve on open road. Slowed down abit(Back to almost speed limit) to conserve fuel.From memory I put in almost 21 litres. Again from memory thats the most I have put in her.
We all ride the bikes differently, so range will differ for all of us. If you really want to know how much fuel she will hold, you know what to do. Run the bitch dry, have a jerry can with you, top it up abit, get back to a gas station, top it up completely then do some simple math. Hay Presto!
Me, I can not be arsed to do that, I will stick to my 300km approx theory, depending on the ride.

Fluffy Cat
12th November 2009, 21:25
Roger that, I find the seat fine for distance work, have had 280k's with 30k's of reserve used so 300k's no probs if you are good with the gas. Think i will go the 2/1 and extra tank when i have some cash. The 40l safari tanks look ok but i keep using the crash bars.

Ruralman
12th November 2009, 21:26

Well the seat must be better 'cos I agree with Digitdion - I reckon the seat on the 990 is FAR more comfortable for both me and my pillion than either the Tiger or my Transalp. 300km is no bother at all . Now if you want sore arse stories - last weekend's trail ride on my GAs Gas certainly did that. the pace was a bit slower as I was following one of my boys who was finding things pretty tough and I ended up sitting down a lot more than I usually do - that was only about 90km and I had a sore arse for the next 3 days!!!

Hey JMJ - did you buy the Silver one at McIver and Veitch in Dunedin ?? Never heard it running but its a stunning looking 950 and looks like its been very well looked after

ducatijim
13th November 2009, 08:44
I'm an expert on fuel range/tank capacity....I have lost count how many times shes bin dry!!

21 L to full, mine has 5.5-6 left after the lite comes on.

No priming issues, just add fuel from dry and crank!

Pump has survived 25000km of this abuse so far so I sleep well at nite while traveling:woohoo:.

Too much angst........just go out and use them.:yes:

junkmanjoe
13th November 2009, 15:24
Hey JMJ - did you buy the Silver one at McIver and Veitch in Dunedin ?? Never heard it running but its a stunning looking 950 and looks like its been very well looked after

yes thats the one...
we have found it...its in storage in chch.....Hmmmm dont think i paid to have it sitting in storage, for 7 days....:bash:

can i have a little info from owners please..

do you do your service.every 5k or 7k.
ive been told to do it every 7k for oil, filters, air filter etc, and every 15k for top end adjustments. and other bits in pieces...

JMJ

Crisis management
13th November 2009, 15:31
do you do your service.every 5k or 7k.
ive been told to do it every 7k for oil, filters, air filter etc, and every 15k for top end adjustments. and other pits in pieces...

JMJ

7.5k for oils & filters, valves at 15k sounds about right, keep an eye on the water pump.
If it's been sitting for a while and not serviced I would go for a short 200kms? ride then do all the fluids, oil, coolant, brakes & clutch. Do all the filters at the same time.
It's a nice looking bike Joe, well done!

dino3310
13th November 2009, 15:31
yes thats the one...
we have found it...its in storage in chch.....Hmmmm dont think i paid to have it sitting in storage, for 7 days....:bash:

JMJ

:gob::gob:

junkmanjoe
13th November 2009, 15:38
7.5k for oils & filters, valves at 15k sounds about right, keep an eye on the water pump.
If it's been sitting for a while and not serviced I would go for a short 200kms? ride then do all the fluids, oil, coolant, brakes & clutch. Do all the filters at the same time.
It's a nice looking bike Joe, well done!

thanks for info Ian
its just had a fresh service before leaving the shop, had one owner from new, been his work wagon, and basic weekend rides around dunners..

ive been sent a 45 page service history, not received it yet...
has had all its recalls done..i guess thats a good thing...

has been in the shop for 4 months, the chap traded it on a moto 950..
lets hope it looks as good in front of me as in the pics..

JMJ

BMWST?
13th November 2009, 19:59

JMJ

:innocent::shutup::scooter:

cooneyr
14th November 2009, 07:48
Heaps of the good oil on KTM 9X0's over here - http://www.ktm950.info/ Owners Manual (not workshop manuals though) but the owners manual is pretty comprehensive.

Cheers R

Digitdion
19th November 2009, 08:17
Hay boys and girls,
Just been spending all my earnings on some extra bits for the bike.With the exchange rate if any of you want some new bits for the Ktm now is the time to act. Thats even after paying huge amounts for shipping.
I mostly buy thru ktmtwins.com . I have been very impressed with them. they did sent me the wrong bits last week, but straight away they put it right. What you want to see when you are so far away.
What other websites do you guys buy in stuff from oversea's?

Oscar
19th November 2009, 08:26
I buy stuff from here: http://www.ktmworld.com/

4skins
19th November 2009, 14:00
I strapped a 5 litre on the back one day and rode 55km with the fuel warning on before it ran RIGHT OUT. No problem to get going after that.

junkmanjoe
19th November 2009, 18:53
bike tranz rang tonight, and the 950 is due in masterton, 10am this friday....crossing my fingers...:sweatdrop
wonder if i should have a sicky tomorrow.....:yes:

JMJ

Monstaman
19th November 2009, 19:06

JMJ

Dude ... you look ill and I would think going to work would be b a d :laugh:

Of corse 10.01 am we expect pics :Pokey: :Punk:

NordieBoy
19th November 2009, 20:39
If you do pull a sicky don't ride the 'Tuckas and show the bike off to workmates :lol:

Paladin
19th November 2009, 21:31
bike tranz rang tonight, and the 950 is due in masterton, 10am this friday....crossing my fingers...:sweatdrop

JMJ

:sweatdrop :sweatdrop :sweatdrop :sweatdrop :sweatdrop :sweatdrop

Fingers crossed bro!!!!

Woodman
20th November 2009, 08:32

JMJ

Am actually quite excited for ya Joe

Eddieb
20th November 2009, 08:54
Joe's at work on top of the Rimutaka Hill and his bike is due to be delivered to Masterton at 10am.

So at 9:38 I get this text "Biketranz just went passed the summit"

I bet he's real excited now.

NordieBoy
20th November 2009, 09:09
So at 9:38 I get this text "Biketranz just went passed the summit"

I bet he's real excited now.

And he didn't stop them?

Monstaman
20th November 2009, 09:12
It will be hard for Joe to keep his mind on the job now :laugh:

junkmanjoe
20th November 2009, 13:01
im home and bikes at langlands masterton.they put it in the show room......putting my riding gear on and out the door......

Waihou Thumper
20th November 2009, 13:10
im home and bikes at langlands masterton.they put it in the show room......putting my riding gear on and out the door......

Enjoy the bike and have fun out there! remember, stay close to the white line and when you are comfortable, remove those training wheels! :laugh:

dino3310
20th November 2009, 13:37
:woohoo::wari::wari::wari::wari::wari::wari::wari: :wari:

junkmanjoe
20th November 2009, 19:04
she is here.....
i saw the van go through work and rang home...its on its way..
wife shot down to langlands motorcycles to catch it being unloaded.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/picture.php?albumid=2225&pictureid=34978
its in very tidy condition, a credit to first owner.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/picture.php?albumid=2225&pictureid=34979
i arrived at the shop later in the arvo, to pick it up.
fired up first push of the button...and just purred home...that sound...just wicked..
it be almost a shame to go get it dirty..........;)....na..
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/picture.php?albumid=2225&pictureid=34983
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/picture.php?albumid=2225&pictureid=34982
in her new home..
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/picture.php?albumid=2225&pictureid=34981
very happy with the bike....tomorrow we ride...:2thumbsup

JMJ

dino3310
20th November 2009, 19:09
farkin sweeet mate:2thumbsup

might wanna get some crash bars bro, she so pertty

Paladin
20th November 2009, 20:06
Goddamm she's a bit gorgeous Joe!!!!

:2thumbsup

Nice one bro'!

BMWST?
20th November 2009, 20:29
nice,dealers pics on TM did not do it justice.

Dakar
20th November 2009, 20:55
nice one JMJ, your must be very proud of your new :baby:

Woodman
20th November 2009, 21:23
very cooolll Joe.

junkmanjoe
20th November 2009, 22:19
thanks for comments guys...now just need to get the bike to teach me how to ride it...:2thumbsup

marks
21st November 2009, 07:53
very happy with the bike....tomorrow we ride...:2thumbsup

JMJ

that is one sexy looking beast :banana:

will you still ride with us scummy types on our nasty jap trash?

gonna try getting it up cnut?

Balrog
21st November 2009, 08:03
Congrats on the new bike :niceone:

Jim

andy mac
21st November 2009, 08:23
Nice looking bike. Joe take care today, apparently they have a nasty habit of waving their front wheel in the air :whistle:

junkmanjoe
21st November 2009, 09:06
Congrats on the new bike :niceone:

Jim

hi jim...mate been a while..when we riding again.

have to come over for the day soon..take you out to pac spur..:2thumbsup

Woody2
21st November 2009, 09:48
nice,dealers pics on TM did not do it justice.

+1 saw it on TM as well and your photos look way better......Enjoy the new ride!

Balrog
21st November 2009, 09:57
hi jim...mate been a while..when we riding again.

have to come over for the day soon..take you out to pac spur..:2thumbsup

Yeah, I've been a bit (ok a lot) slack in the riding dept lately.
But I've decided to pull finger and start getting out again, so just let me know :)

Need to do a few easy-ish rides to break myself in again. :p

Eddieb
21st November 2009, 10:02
Pack Spur is easy, cruisy gravel with a short length of easy lumpy farm track in the middle.

In fact I bet that's where Joe is right now.

Paladin
21st November 2009, 10:05
Pack Spur is easy, cruisy gravel with a short length of easy lumpy farm track in the middle.

In fact I bet that's where Joe is right now.

And there was me thinking we'd be going there tomorrow!
:(

NordieBoy
21st November 2009, 10:44
And there was me thinking we'd be going there tomorrow!
:(

As well...

Paladin
21st November 2009, 10:47
As well...

apparently!!!!

:oi-grr:

marks
21st November 2009, 12:39
Yeah, I've been effing pathetic in the riding dept lately.
But I've decided to pull finger and start getting out again, so just let me know :)

Need to do a few hard rides to break myself again. :p

fixed

come on next Saturdays jaunt that Bart is organizing :banana:

junkmanjoe
21st November 2009, 13:30
while sitting here..this morn...misses went shopping...so me and bike,we go riding:2thumbsup
headed for summer hill, from martinbrough end.
weather here today is great..warm and clear...:cool:

just wanted to get in some twistys, and hinakura hill is the place to go...
at the bottom as the lads know,,turn off to summer hill gravel road.
this cuts through farm land. and its one of my local great rides..
so in to it we go..cautious at first,,,getting the feel for the beasty....
so far so good...push it a bit harder and faster...still in my comfit zone,,,,

all good..
enjoyed the ride, weight wise, very close to the dr full of gas. handle much the same. more power at the hand.....must rember this on lose gravel corners...one slight unexpected power slide.......easy girl...dont kick me off...

coming back down the admril hill,,i just relaxed a bit more and let the bike do the riding for me.. instead of me trying to tell it what to do...:hug:

great ride great bike, great day..
JMJ

junkmanjoe
21st November 2009, 13:31
and a couple more... oh i got the old tag as well...

JMJ

Paladin
21st November 2009, 13:50
Well you christened it bro! Lookin forward to seein her in the flesh! (Ooh that's a bit rude LOL!)

(am very jealous! :weep: )

Got my eye on a nice bike, ...... just need the DR to sell first! :sweatdrop

dino3310
21st November 2009, 13:54
very nice brother very nice.
so how many times have you washed her already

Taz
21st November 2009, 17:26
Looking Good JMJ.

nothingflash
21st November 2009, 19:13
oooooooh great looking bike! :banana:

Aslan
21st November 2009, 20:43
nice ride you got there Joe - like Dave I'm envious - enjoy :2thumbsup

bart
21st November 2009, 21:32
Nice bike Joe. Pretty in silver. You might need some knobs before you attack Cnut...:2thumbsup

_STAIN_
21st November 2009, 22:03
yip very cool comfy lookin mile muncher you have there Joe

junkmanjoe
21st November 2009, 23:01
okies thanks for all your comments guys...i better put this thread back to what it was intended for...:pinch:..i might get in trouble...

so a question for 990/950 owners..

the fuel tanks. do they balance them selves as the fuel gets lower.

was just wondering as today i seamed to use more on the left hand tank and right side fuel level stayed higher..
yes both fuel taps where on...:2thumbsup

i did make a mistake of over fulling the tanks..and bike leaked fuel this morn in the sun..left a nice puddle of fuel on my drive way, which has eaten through my asphalt....my wifes not happy :mad:

so best not do that again.:oi-grr:

JMJ

BMWST?
21st November 2009, 23:05
okies thanks for all your comments guys...i better put this thread back to what it was intended for...:pinch:..i might get in trouble...

was just wondering as today i seamed to use more on the left hand tank and right side fuel level stayed higher..

i did make a mistake of over fulling the tanks..and bike leaked fuel this morn in the sun..left a nice puddle of fuel on my drive way, which has eaten through my asphalt....my wifes not happy :mad:

JMJ

i bet she nice on the run out from summerhill to the gadstone /m borough road!

Oscar
22nd November 2009, 11:52
I just got my hands on a 990SMT for the weekend.

Fluffy Cat
22nd November 2009, 14:20
I just got my hands on a 990SMT for the weekend.

He he, you will be more?..infected.

Digitdion
22nd November 2009, 17:41

JMJ

Got to watch the over filling thingee Joe. Done it a couple of times my self.If stopping for a break and fuel i always try to have the break first then fuel then ride. As to the twin tanks i do not know the official answer, but it does look as though they even out themselves.

Digitdion
22nd November 2009, 17:46
By the way boys, who's heading to invers for the Bert Munro? See you down there. As always I will be on the look out for fellow KTM's !

Cheers Dion

Fluffy Cat
22nd November 2009, 20:12
Yeah, they do even themselves out. Share common fuel lines before fuel pump. But if you fill to the top on both sides and leave on side stand the upper tank fills the lower.

junkmanjoe
22nd November 2009, 20:19
yes ive learnt that lesson....:whistle:
i also found a squashed breather pipe for right hand tank.. behind the top quarter panel.

JMJ

junkmanjoe
24th November 2009, 19:43
this bag came with my bike, must be a factory bag they give out with new bikes.
any one else got one.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/picture.php?albumid=2225&pictureid=34980

JMJ

1KTM
24th November 2009, 19:54
ya get one with all new ktm bikes

NordieBoy
24th November 2009, 20:38
ya get one with all new ktm bikes

Everyone gets a free KTM with one of those bags.

junkmanjoe
24th November 2009, 20:43
sorry nordie..there not cheap bags mate..

Waihou Thumper
25th November 2009, 03:02
The Genuine KTM ball point pen mate I would take her back......
Those pens cost a fortune......I paid over $22000 for that pen and it didn't work....
:)

warewolf
25th November 2009, 08:50
F@ck the pen... it's the bottler opener you want! :beer:

Taz
25th November 2009, 08:54
this bag came with my bike, must be a factory bag they give out with new bikes.
any one else got one.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/picture.php?albumid=2225&pictureid=34980

JMJ

Yeah my 525 came with ine with both manuals and parts books and WP shock and fork set up manuals and assorted other goodies.

junkmanjoe
29th November 2009, 05:53
what you guys think about this option.
front quarter panel fuel tanks. i believe they carry 4L or 8L each side.
i guess up grade front springs would be needed to carry extra weight..

your thoughts..

JMJ

Taz
29th November 2009, 05:59
Do you really need more range?

junkmanjoe
29th November 2009, 06:09
not sure i haven't run out yet...
you could use one as a water tank...for desert trips i guess..or put beer in it for beach trips...

JMJ

cooneyr
29th November 2009, 07:14
what you guys think about this option.
front quarter panel fuel tanks. i believe they carry 4L or 8L each side.
i guess up grade front springs would be needed to carry extra weight..

your thoughts..

JMJ

Thats a great idea, though I'll have to find somewhere else to carry my spare tubes. Is that a factory hard part or privately made? I'd be guessing that there is 8l each side if they are the same shape as the pannels. Many in the States argue that the 9X0's need stiffer front springs regardless of these tanks - and I'm inclined to agree.

Cheers R

ducatijim
29th November 2009, 08:22
Looks like a great idea-from 1 who has regularly run dry-however; they look factory and I would guess be more expensive that a safari tank @ 40l?

Would love to know!

junkmanjoe
29th November 2009, 08:59
ive ask for a link to dealer...there made from carbon fiber...have sep taps and lines, breathers..
this guy just put them on for a African trip...so we see how he goes... i think there around the $1,800 mark a set.
thats close to the safari ones....i think the advantage of theres ones, if you doing a short trip, dont fill them..
they come in the colour of your bike if you want.

JMJ

Triwi
29th November 2009, 10:03
Would be appreciated if you could post a link. Looks a clever way of using space and avoids the bulky look of the Safari tanks.
thanks
Triwi

junkmanjoe
29th November 2009, 16:45
i will as soon as i get it from the other chap....

Crisis management
30th November 2009, 06:46
Just a thought on those tanks, it's putting weight up high where you may regret having it! I thought the rear, left hand side placement was a good solution for additional fuel; remove the LHS muffler and put a tank in that location with a 2 into 1 exhaust to the RHS.
I've always found the 990 carries it's weight high in stock form and was always a bit nervous of getting caught out trying to hold it up so if that isn't an issue for yourself you can dismiss this as me being a short arsed skinny white boy...... :shit:

Triwi
30th November 2009, 12:59
Fair point, but when you're about to walk does it matter? The 2 into 1 is ideal (for me) in that the reduction in weight by muffler removal is equaled by the addition of fuel tank and contents. No change in balance then. For OZ type touring any extra fuel is good fuel, high or low (ask DucatiJim). Mind you at $A1800 cant help thinking a couple of plastic containers start to look good. Which of course get tied on the rack up high!! There are some very practical footpeg options for carrying 5litre containers I've seen on the ADV site somewhere. No good for pillions tho.
Still, these carbon fibre tanks utilise available space very very neatly and basically I just want some.
I cant help it.
Triwi

ducatijim
30th November 2009, 16:01
A$200 for a 10L pillow tank takes some beating!

Yes, it does start off up high( although, I changed my packing to accomodate it lower without much drama), but with a thirsty 990, its only about 120km before you can pour contents into the main tank and then the pillow folds up real small and packs away nicely.

I know I am shouting down a dark hole, but if by chance anyone was interested, I will post up Liquid Containments URL !!!!!

junkmanjoe
30th November 2009, 18:06
im liking the design of theses tanks as it dosn't alter the shape of the bike.
with external plastic containers, bulky and ugly,,,i like the twin pipes out back,,so they stay.......
a little more investigation to be done...
post up links of other fuel storage ides...
JMJ

Triwi
30th November 2009, 21:45
Image of my very own. 5 litres in alloy tank plus 2x1.5l in blue bottles. I'm not smart enough to post thumbnails. Can anyone direct me to appropriate sticky or something
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/triwi_photo/IMG_2424.jpg
triwi

junkmanjoe
30th November 2009, 21:50
okies some info...on the tanks web address..but seams not finished yet. http://omegafibre.com/

and email address..
omega.fibre@telkomsa.net

more as it arises...

JMJ

dino3310
30th November 2009, 21:50
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w153/triwi_photo/IMG_2424.jpg

dino3310
30th November 2009, 21:52
yeah mate just copy the URL then in the reply box menu theres a little box with a picture of a mountain on it click that then paste the url and walla.

almost looks like a NOS bottle

junkmanjoe
2nd December 2009, 15:13
ive sent an email to the guy to find out about theses quarter panel tanks..

JMJ

Triwi
3rd December 2009, 10:39
[yeah mate just copy the URL then in the reply box menu theres a little box with a picture of a mountain on it click that then paste the url and walla.]

Thanks for that
triwi

dino3310
3rd December 2009, 21:45

JMJ

any jobs going where you are mate, sounds like you getting paid to much :lol:

ducatijim
4th December 2009, 09:05
any jobs going where you are mate, sounds like you getting paid to much :lol:

+1 !

You gotta wonder at some folk, I mean, there is a servo every 50km here in NZ, now I would understand if he was going to traverse Africa.................

Woodman
4th December 2009, 09:49
+1 !

You gotta wonder at some folk, I mean, there is a servo every 50km here in NZ, now I would understand if he was going to traverse Africa.................

Fine if you plan your rides, but if you just feck about wondering "where that track goes " having that extra range means you can do that instead of having to ride out of your way to gas up then go back. if you have 400 k plus range it just gives another dimension to adventuring/dual sporting.

clint640
4th December 2009, 11:02
+1 !

That's pretty rich coming from somebody who's 700km range DR650 has been known to run out of gas in NZ :bleh::laugh::laugh:

I reckon about 250-300km is a good range for NZ. I've never felt the need here for more than the 350-400km I can do. Oz is a different story though...

Cheers
Clint

junkmanjoe
4th December 2009, 11:28
i feel some places in kiwi land...there is quite a gap around the back roads to the next servo...and , cant ride the 950 like a nana now can we...:chase:.i never said i was going to buy the tanks,,,but just investigating the price.....
and yes there is jobs going where i work..you want one..

JMJ

cooneyr
4th December 2009, 13:43
+1 !

Said the North Islander.

There will not be fuel for 600km of the Dusty Butt if we do a evening start. Actually there is fuel but we can't get it cause we are too backwards down here for the card at pump etc. Molesworth is 200km min without fuel which is pushing things on the stock DR tank.

I'm with Clint, a 250-300 makes life a whole lot easier.

Cheers R

ducatijim
4th December 2009, 16:03
if you have 400 k plus range it just gives another dimension to adventuring/dual sporting.

Yeah, stock 990 adv tank only good for about 330(?).

So, a coke bottle or a cheap camp stove fuel cell will suffice eh?

ducatijim
4th December 2009, 16:05
That's pretty rich coming from somebody who's 700km range DR650 has been known to run out of gas in
Clint

Ok, ok....now I take full responsibility for that oversight!

It in no way reflects on the tank size/range of a motorcycle.:no:

junkmanjoe
5th December 2009, 21:10
well i decided to make my own set of saddle bag racks for the 950..

went down to steel supplier and brought $22 worth of 10mm round and 25mm x 3mm flat.

i then sat on my little chair in the shed and looked at the arse of the bike...........man it looks good.....
made a design in me head and started to bend up the steel.

and heres what i came up with..
basic and strong.
just need to paint it now and we are done....

JMJ

dino3310
5th December 2009, 21:14
looking good bro, me thinking of doing the same for the XR

junkmanjoe
5th December 2009, 21:41
not much involved in it mate..
they came out ok as well...

junkmanjoe
9th December 2009, 18:27
my clutch lever feels soft, and gear changes are clonky...whats the go boys...

JMJ

Crisis management
9th December 2009, 18:57

JMJ

First bleed it, maybe change the fluid (it may be old) and then have a bit of a look at the slave cylinder as they are a known weak point, I believe the fix is an aftermarket slave cylinder.
Have a look on the OC hall of wisdom as it is all documented there.

Waihou Thumper
9th December 2009, 19:00

JMJ

The wise man in the Waikato?

junkmanjoe
9th December 2009, 20:00
First bleed it, maybe change the fluid (it may be old) and then have a bit of a look at the slave cylinder as they are a known weak point, I believe the fix is an aftermarket slave cylinder.
Have a look on the OC hall of wisdom as it is all documented there.

yip i posted the prob up there and good feed back about possible causes.

JMJ

dino3310
9th December 2009, 20:08
my clutch lever feels soft,
JMJ

just have a play with it mate it will soon harden up :lol:

junkmanjoe
9th December 2009, 20:12
just have a play with it mate it will soon harden up :lol:

you going to need to do a far bit of stroking to fix yours mate........:blank:

dino3310
9th December 2009, 20:15
you going to need to do a far bit of stroking to fix yours mate........:blank:

thats just down right nasty mate......:Pokey:
i like nasty :clap:

Woodman
9th December 2009, 20:19
Come on Guys, neither of you ride DRs anymore so all this manlove talk should stop.................

Box'a'bits
9th December 2009, 21:18
Come on Guys, neither of you ride DRs anymore so all this manlove talk should stop.................

Ah, yes, but Dinos got a Honda now. A step too far really...We've all discussed (disgust?) what that can do for a man. And really, what is JMJ compensating for? Its so big. And now he's telling us its really soft???:psst: :confused:

cooneyr
9th December 2009, 21:21

JMJ

My clutch stoped working over about 50kms of riding. Noticed that the engage/disengage point was getting closer to the bars until it wouldn't disengage at all. Makes riding around town a bit interesting! Basically it had lost enough fluid past a worn seal that it wasn't working any more. Probably the same for you. Get a 22/23/24mm id 2mm diameter O ring ($0.95 each), pull the two bolts that hold the slave cylinder on, one circlip to remove the piston from the housing, clean, replace O ring, bleed the system and away you go.

You need to bleed the cluch from the slave cylinder. Get a 50mm or larger syringe (know a friendly nursey :msn-wink:) and a bit of tube and force the mineral oil (do not use brake fluid!!!) in at the slave cylinder bleed nipple with the master cylinder cover off (clean out the master cylinder first). You may then have to work the clutch leaver a few times to get air to come back up the line (it is very steep so air not likely to go down), then do a couple of "normal" i.e. pressurise the system with the clutch lever and bleed out the slave nipple. This is cause the slave nipple is the highest point in the slave cylinder for an air bubble to sit in. I though this whole process was going to be a bit of a nightmare given the Yanks dribble about it all but it was a piece of cake.

I got a 150ml(?) bottle of Spectro mineral oil specifically for Magura clutches on KTMs (http://www.spectro-oils.com/products/brake/mineral.asp) for $8 for the local bike shop that should give me a two or three fluid replacements. Way way cheaper than the Motorex 75 fluid that cost $25 for the same stuff. Some use baby oil which is a mineral oil in an emergency - get the scented stuff and your clutch will smell nice:rolleyes: I used a 22mm ID O ring and it seems to be working fine (done 500kms since replacing) but it should probably really be a 24mm ring. Take the clutch piston when you go shopping to be sure. 2mm diameter is important though.

I've had a look at the system and cant see for the life of me why the piston would twist in the bore as suggested by some on ADV rider. The piston has a hole that sits over the clutch push rod when in the slave cylinder in fitted up so I'm buggered if I can see how it would twist in the slave cylinder bore. The plastic spacer could warp with heat and while the slave cylinder seals against the spacer seals in the engine oil, a warped plastic spacer should have no bearing on how well the slave cylinder piston seals i.e. how the clutch works. So after actually pulling it to bits and having a look I'm very much inclined not to buy a US$200+ replacement slave cylinder. I'll just carry a couple of spare O rings and the remainder of the mineral oil around with me - takes up bugger all space.

The KLR boys are going to love this post - baby oil, slaves, nipples, working the lever, bores, etc!!!

Cheers R

Fluffy Cat
9th December 2009, 21:28
The system for the clutch is hydraulic and made by Margura better known for MTB applications. The master reservoir is kind of small and the system uses mineral oil(just like MTB's). The oil goes off quite quickly compared to a DOT 4/5 etc systems and, needs to be replaced more often. The slave has also been improved on the 990 versions.
1. Unbolt slave inspect, leaks/damage at seal?. Replace if stuffed. If it looks ok no damage to o-ring goto 2. Make mental note to buy improved slave.
2. Replace fluid with mineral oil, you can use MTB stuff if you cant find any. Shimano do good stuff. Make mental note to replace often.
Hope this helps.
Any errors in this are due to me been knackered after changing the tyres on me BRP I am crap at changing tyres and should know better but i want to play on the weekend...cheers.

junkmanjoe
9th December 2009, 21:46
okies ...thanks heaps guys.. just may be rolling sat after noon...:niceone:
ill pop in to lins autos..he got more o rings than a paddock fill of sheep....

there is oil under neath the unit so it coming from some where.

cheers
JMJ

P:s.. Black klrs suck rabbits balls.......:rolleyes:

warewolf
9th December 2009, 22:26
I got a 150ml(?) bottle of Spectro mineral oil specifically for Magura clutches on KTMs (http://www.spectro-oils.com/products/brake/mineral.asp) for $8 for the local bike shop that should give me a two or three fluid replacements. Way way cheaper than the Motorex 75 fluid that cost $25 for the same stuff.Use leftover fork oil...

The system for the clutch is hydraulic and made by Margura better known for MTB applications. The master reservoir is kind of small and the system uses mineral oil(just like MTB's). The oil goes off quite quickly compared to a DOT 4/5 etc systems and, needs to be replaced more often.Que? Not only is that news to me, it contradicts everything I've read about them! Why do you think it goes off?

Advice on KTM forums says the opposite. Brake fluid is hygroscopic so needs to be changed every year, more often when racing. The accepted wisdom for hydraulic oil clutches like Magura's is don't touch the buggers unless you have problems. The clutch simply isn't under the kind of stresses brake fluid is: no wicked heat, bugger-all pressure, the fluid doesn't readily absorb water, the slave piston seals aren't exposed to so much forced-in dirt/mud/grime.

My personal experience reflects that; I can tell when brake fluid deteriorates, but never had a problem with Magura clutches and never changed the fluid. (Except when I had a mechanical failure - hose unscrewed from the master cylinder.)

The KTM specified service interval for the Magura hydraulic clutch fluid is... none.

[Edit: Ah, I think I see the problem. Ding! (Where's the lightbulb smilie?) Newer mtb BRAKE systems are using mineral oil instead of proper brake fluid... yeah, I can see it being way inferior in that application. But mtb's don't have clutches, right?]

NordieBoy
10th December 2009, 06:48
The hydro Magura on the Nordie was still sweet 3 years after I installed it.

Monstaman
10th December 2009, 07:22

JMJ

JMJ ...I had a quick look at my bike to try and help you ... I can't find any oil on mine ... it appears to be a fairly reliable looking cable, the DR650's have them.

Hope this helps :devil2: :bleh:

marks
10th December 2009, 07:45
The KLR boys are going to love this post - baby oil, slaves, nipples, working the lever, bores, etc!!!

:yes:
it kind of fits with the fact that most of you owned dr650's at some point (baby oil being a necessary extra when dr650 riders share a cabin)

NordieBoy
10th December 2009, 08:36
:yes:
it kind of fits with the fact that most of you owned dr650's at some point (baby oil being a necessary extra when dr650 riders share a cabin)

Babyoil or Babycham?

warewolf
10th December 2009, 09:08
it appears to be a fairly reliable looking cable, Cable? Reliable? Mwahahhahahahahaha like hell.

junkmanjoe
10th December 2009, 10:36
have ordered some special ktm clutch oil....$8 per bottle.
be here tomorrow..

Monstaman
10th December 2009, 10:58
Cable? Reliable? Mwahahhahahahahaha like hell.

... man you blown my cover :laugh:

Love hydraulics ... just more reliable than JMJ's at present.

Although I broke my Maguara (sp) master cyl on my old KTM400EXC and was shocked at how spendie it was to get another one, my levers with the notched out sacrificial weak zone survived unscathed :brick:

junkmanjoe
10th December 2009, 14:00
okies..poped down to lins autos today, and brought 2 new O rings, the smaller one on the slide and the bigger one.
total cost.$1.40c

have cleaned everything up and waiting for the oil to arrive..:rolleyes:

Fluffy Cat
10th December 2009, 20:06
Use leftover fork oil...

Que? Not only is that news to me, it contradicts everything I've read about them! Why do you think it goes off?

Advice on KTM forums says the opposite. Brake fluid is hygroscopic so needs to be changed every year, more often when racing. The accepted wisdom for hydraulic oil clutches like Magura's is don't touch the buggers unless you have problems. The clutch simply isn't under the kind of stresses brake fluid is: no wicked heat, bugger-all pressure, the fluid doesn't readily absorb water, the slave piston seals aren't exposed to so much forced-in dirt/mud/grime.

My personal experience reflects that; I can tell when brake fluid deteriorates, but never had a problem with Magura clutches and never changed the fluid. (Except when I had a mechanical failure - hose unscrewed from the master cylinder.)

The KTM specified service interval for the Magura hydraulic clutch fluid is... none.

[Edit: Ah, I think I see the problem. Ding! (Where's the lightbulb smilie?) Newer mtb BRAKE systems are using mineral oil instead of proper brake fluid... yeah, I can see it being way inferior in that application. But mtb's don't have clutches, right?]

Mahhn cant I edit for shit.
You is right but the reservoir is tiny and the fluid goes black and shity very quickly least it did on my 990. I have a litre can of Shimano mineral oil in the garage and need to use it up as all my MTB's now use DOT type oils. But it does seem to help.
You is the clutch on an MTB so i cover myself in fresh mineral oil before I ride, it seems to work.

Woodman
10th December 2009, 20:23
The clutch is that lever on the left aye?? you know, the one that you let go when you take off and pull in when you stop, but otherwise iust sits there like a useless appendage??

NordieBoy
10th December 2009, 20:38
The clutch is that lever on the left aye?? you know, the one that you let go when you take off and pull in when you stop, but otherwise iust sits there like a useless appendage??

That's right, you're one of "them"...

warewolf
10th December 2009, 21:46
You is right but the reservoir is tiny and the fluid goes black and shity very quickly least it did on my 990.Seemed fine on my 200, the stuff that leaked looked & felt good, as did all the stuff purged by the bleed. Master cylinder nice & clean. It had been there for years and raced.

The clutch is that lever on the left aye?? you know, the one that you let go when you take off and pull in when you stop, but otherwise iust sits there like a useless appendage??You don't ride a smallbore two-stroke, I can tell.

zeRax
11th December 2009, 06:15
before having my 125 2stroke, i had never used a clutch so much, @_@, jeepers creepers, has made me use the clutch on the dr on up changes!, which probably isnt a bad thing, but probably waste of effort,, should we have this discussion, guess not !

junkmanjoe
11th December 2009, 06:27

JMJ

got a reply from South Africa about the quarter panel tanks.
price for the tanks.
5.9086 rand = $1 NZ Dollar
10800. rand = $1827.84 NZ Dollars

and price for freight.
5.9086 rand = $1 NZ Dollar
3458.2 rand = $585.28 NZ Dollars

so there not cheap..
guess i better look in to a fuel carry system.. i got a bit of spare time on my hands..

one day maybe.

Any way my clutch is still not working so bikes off to the shop...Bugger..
JMJ

Crisis management
11th December 2009, 07:11
Any way my clutch is still not working so bikes off to the shop...Bugger..
JMJ

Joe, the clutch is only held on with two capscrews, maybe you can save some cash by having a look at it yourself or by replacing it with an aftermarket slave cylinder, it's a very straight forward job to replace it.

junkmanjoe
11th December 2009, 07:26
who or where would i start to look for a new cylinder.
i read up about a changing it over, seams like the thing to do.

JMJ

Crisis management
11th December 2009, 07:49
Stock slave cylinders are in stock with KTM NZ, $ 305.10 ex Triple X Moto in Auckland (09) 265 2135.
The aftermarket ones recommended by the OC hall of wisdom are from Evoluzione cyclesports for US$180 plus shipping. I suggest you look through the clutch repairs on the OC Hall of wisdom to check there is nothing else you need to know first (did you try the o ring replacement as Ryan suggested?).

Sorry, I haven't mastered the basics of linking the url....tonight I must conquer this!

junkmanjoe
11th December 2009, 07:53
thanks chris...do a bit of ringing around..

JMJ

Monstaman
11th December 2009, 08:38
Have a crack at it yourself Joe, they are easy enough and sometimes you can find equivalent pistons and seal straight off the shelf from BNT automotive etc.

Worth a crack now with time on your hands before getting spendie, do you have a micrometer and access to gear to do it?

junkmanjoe
11th December 2009, 10:21
okies we been up to the mechanics,,, master and slave units working fine...
how ever..still jamming in between 1st ans 2nd gears..
barry thinks it may be a warped clutch plate or something along theres lines.
bikes running and we taking it back to barrys next week for further investigation..

i need to give a few more reves to get it to come out to neutral, all other gear changes are fine up or down..smooth as ya mums tit...:shit:

so next week we going to open the clutch and see whats going on in there..

JMJ

Eddieb
11th December 2009, 10:49
okies we been up to the mechanics,,, master and slave units working fine...
how ever..still jamming in between 1st ans 2nd gears..
barry thinks it may be a warped clutch plate or something along theres lines.
bikes running and we taking it back to barrys next week for further investigation..

i need to give a few more reves to get it to come out to neutral, all other gear changes are fine up or down..smooth as ya mums tit...:shit:

so next week we going to open the clutch and see whats going on in there..

JMJ

Thats something you can easily do yourself mate, just make sure you make note of the order everything came out, so it can go in the same way. The 950s have some subtle differences in the clutch plates, the first and last ones are both different to the middle ones I think, and I think the last carbon plate is rotated one tooth from how all the others sit.

dmc
11th December 2009, 18:58
Stock slave cylinders are in stock with KTM NZ, $ 305.10 ex Triple X Moto in Auckland (09) 265 2135.
The aftermarket ones recommended by the OC hall of wisdom are from Evoluzione cyclesports for US$180 plus shipping. I suggest you look through the clutch repairs on the OC Hall of wisdom to check there is nothing else you need to know first (did you try the o ring replacement as Ryan suggested?).

Sorry, I haven't mastered the basics of linking the url....tonight I must conquer this!

Sounds like these are a better option,

http://www.oberon-performance.co.uk/acatalog/KTM_Clutch_Slave.html

junkmanjoe
11th December 2009, 19:31
thats a tidy unit...

around $200 nz + freight

junkmanjoe
11th December 2009, 19:39
[QUOTE (did you try the o ring replacement as Ryan suggested?).[/QUOTE]

you cant buy the O rings from ktm, they come as a kit. with other parts. around the $200 mark.

i took the ones out of it, and the unit in to town and brought after market ones.
they working at the moment,
but problem now is deeper in the clutch some where.
was talking the ktm mechanic from wheels of thames today.
he says possibly, lose spring bolts, or warped clutch plate.

my bike mechanic here is going to open it up on monday.

JMJ

Taz
12th December 2009, 14:31
Not tempted to trade it on another DR are you?

junkmanjoe
12th December 2009, 14:34
never mate.. there a great machine, we get it sorted, and be out pissing cars of in no time....:rolleyes:

dino3310
12th December 2009, 14:42
you making up any crashbars for her J

NordieBoy
12th December 2009, 14:44
never mate.. there a great machine, we get it sorted, and be out pissing cars of in no time....:rolleyes:

It's a race!

Willdat? and the mighty DR250 VS JMJ and the cobwebby KTM950.

Who will complete a week of trouble free adventuring first?

Bets anyone?

junkmanjoe
12th December 2009, 14:48
you making up any crashbars for her J

not at this stage, dino.. ill do my best not to lay her down..so far so good.

JMJ

junkmanjoe
12th December 2009, 14:49
It's a race!

Bets anyone?

mine still rideable. so :Playnice:

NordieBoy
12th December 2009, 15:08
mine still rideable. so :Playnice:

So is his :D

Taz
12th December 2009, 15:44
Here ya go girls - Don't be slow........
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KTM-40l-Safari-Tanks_W0QQitemZ320458803147QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_M otorcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9cd547cb

Paladin
12th December 2009, 17:54
Here ya go girls - Don't be slow........
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/KTM-40l-Safari-Tanks_W0QQitemZ320458803147QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_M otorcycle_Parts_Accessories?hash=item4a9cd547cb

Will it go with JMJ's Silver/Black though? ;)
Decisions, decisions......

JATZ
12th December 2009, 18:04
It's a race!

Bets anyone?

Thats just nasty shit stirring Nordie :Pokey:

Funny though :clap:

NordieBoy
12th December 2009, 18:05
Thats just nasty shit stirring Nordie :Pokey:

Funny though :clap:

Your bike going yet?

Or do we add you in :devil2:

JATZ
12th December 2009, 18:20
Your bike going yet?

Or do we add you in :devil2:

Triumph's running like a swiss watch :D

NordieBoy
12th December 2009, 19:31
Triumph's running like a swiss watch :D

So, not like an English watch then?

junkmanjoe
13th December 2009, 09:01
thats a tidy unit...

around $200 nz + freight

the O,C guys are buying these up and fitting them.
seams to be good reports so far.

Waihou Thumper
13th December 2009, 09:12
A 1190 Adventure anytime soon but take a look at this...
Not much good for the North Island but it might find a home in the South during those winter months. Imagine taking this to the dairy to get the paper and bread....:msn-wink:
Check out those tyres.....:clap:

Eddieb
13th December 2009, 09:21
Dunno about those spot lights, makes it looks like Ja-ja Binks.

Waihou Thumper
13th December 2009, 09:26
Dunno about those spot lights, makes it looks like Ja-ja Binks.

Wouldn't go amiss in a Star Wars movie either, would it?
Those Stormtroopers would look good on that! :niceone:

dino3310
13th December 2009, 11:16
Those Stormtroopers would look good on that! :niceone:

so would miss piggy.
I hate how the manufacturers follow each other like sheep when it comes to compacity. Sooner or later they'll end up been big road pigs like the BMW.

it is a nice fooken bike though

junkmanjoe
13th December 2009, 19:34
this is a great photo.
http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/picture.php?albumid=2225&pictureid=36902

JMJ

dino3310
13th December 2009, 19:39
its soooo pertty.
the bash plate and crashbars lookin primo

Box'a'bits
13th December 2009, 19:42
this is a great photo.
JMJ

Shit, I'm glad I didn't come over to the Wairarapa today after all...:cold:.

junkmanjoe
13th December 2009, 20:13
ummm..wish i had crash bars and a touring screen...:msn-wink:
that snow just looks so soft....like boobys......:spanking:

junkmanjoe
14th December 2009, 13:21
okies took bike up to Barrys this morn.

we put her on the table and proceeded to plunge in to her belly,

what we found, fuk all...
some of the clutch plates had not been placed correctly as per factory manual, weather some one else had been in there or not we dont know.

so every thing cleaned replaced in correct order, reassembled.
we did find my front sprocket nut was lose,, tightened that up...

also the dam slave clutch unit was leaking again, new 0 ring fitted.
and im sure its fkn leaking again.
so the clutch it not jamming anymore so thats great news.
but looks like a new slave unit is on the cards..

JMJ

junkmanjoe
14th December 2009, 13:23
a bit of useless information as to what the letters KTM mean

dino3310
14th December 2009, 13:26
:gob::gob::oi-grr:

warewolf
14th December 2009, 16:15
a bit of useless information as to what the letters KTM meanInteresting; where did you find that? Wikipedia article seems to be the source of that information... and is debatable. It is more commonly accepted to mean "Kronreif, Trunkenpolz, Mattighofen", starting in 1953, named after the two gentlemen founders - Ernst Kronreif and Hans Trunkenpolz - and the Austrian city Mattighofen where the company is based.

Wiki states Hans Trunkenpolz' earlier business as having Kraftfahrzeug for the first letter, but despite citing KTM's website there is no evidence of this (even using the Wayback machine). Histories commonly mention Trunkenpolz' earlier non-motorcycle-production businesses as a lead up to the formation of KTM with partner Kronreif in 1953. All my reference materials quote 1953 as inauguration, as does KTM IIRC.

By 1953 they were producing their own motorcycles and the company was known as Kronreif, Trunkenpolz, Mattighofen.

Source: www.ktm.at (http://www.ktm.at/History.101.0.html).Which is the latest official word from KTM. One could argue that prior to 1953 KTM stood for something else, but since 1953, K has meant and still means Kronreif... according to KTM's PR... AFAICS anyway.

junkmanjoe
14th December 2009, 16:26
it was in my mechanics mates barrys book.
umm think it was called motorcycle history of NZ.

JMJ.

JATZ
14th December 2009, 16:57

JMJ

Warranty ? You havn't had it long

junkmanjoe
14th December 2009, 17:07
Ha yea,,try getting money out of bike dealer this time of the year...

i went out and gave it a good blat...as ya do,,down a very dust gravel road...as ya do...:headbang: went that hard the fuel light came on :headbang:
and dosnt seam to be leaking any fluid anymore....dust must have sealed it up..
il check the tank in the top in morn, see if its lost any, if not we must be good.

JMJ

Monstaman
14th December 2009, 17:52
Warranty ? You havn't had it long

Where did ya buy the bike JMJ?

junkmanjoe
14th December 2009, 18:08
well....bit of a tricky deal..
brought vira thames, from dunedin..:blank:
no warranty.

barry fixed it, its going good.. my bill at barrys is only $100 so that ok.
thats labour, bit of oil, O rings etc.

JMJ

NordieBoy
14th December 2009, 19:19
The "T" in KTM died a couple of months ago.

junkmanjoe
14th December 2009, 19:22
NOOOOOO:crybaby:

NordieBoy
14th December 2009, 20:04
NOOOOOO:crybaby:

Actually the son of the founder but still the "T" in KTM.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502005

The 65-year old died on Sunday following a heart attack suffered during a half marathon in Altötting, Bavaria. Hans Trunkenpolz retired in December 2008 following a professional life dedicated to motor sport and to KTM. The son of the company founder was himself a successful motor sports enthusiast as well as having discovered and nurtured motocross champion Heinz Kinigadner.

He led KTM to eight successive victories in the Dakar Rally, which transformed KTM into the dominant brand in rally sport. Even after he left the company, as well as remaining closely connected to the brand and with motor sport, he was a passionate and well trained runner who was known for his competitiveness and sporting ambition.

KTM above all mourns the loss of a wonderful human being. Our sympathy goes to the family of the unforgettable”Trupo“.

Padmei
14th December 2009, 20:26
Yep running will do that to ya. He should have stuck to the more safer pastime of motorbikes.

dino3310
15th December 2009, 09:11
well....bit of a tricky deal..
brought vira thames, from dunedin..:blank:
no warranty.

barry fixed it, its going good.. my bill at barrys is only $100 so that ok.
thats labour, bit of oil, O rings etc.

JMJ

NO Warranty:shutup: fuck mate your keen, thats a lot of money on a bike that can be exspensive to fix, fingers crossed huh

Oscar
15th December 2009, 09:20
okies took bike up to Barrys this morn.

we put her on the table and proceeded to plunge in to her belly,

what we found, fuk all...
some of the clutch plates had not been placed correctly as per factory manual, weather some one else had been in there or not we dont know.

so every thing cleaned replaced in correct order, reassembled.
we did find my front sprocket nut was lose,, tightened that up...

also the dam slave clutch unit was leaking again, new 0 ring fitted.
and im sure its fkn leaking again.
so the clutch it not jamming anymore so thats great news.

JMJ

Pay particular attention the the pole thingo's in the clutch basket. They screw into the basket, and have a cap that screws on the end: THESE HAVE BOTH BEEN KNOWN TO COME UNSCREWED.

young1
15th December 2009, 17:30
Phreaky Phil and I are heading down south on boxing day. Me being the mechanic that I am NOT thought I had better check the oil first.

How do I do that (now I am not that ignorant BUT do I do it on side stand / main stand, engine warm or cold, engine warm but wait 5 minutes - like on my DRZ etc)

I don't seem to have a manual with all the other stuff that tells me the basics like that.

Also tyre pressures, two up with luggage, what should I run (standard tyre on back and TKC80 on front)

junkmanjoe
15th December 2009, 17:54
ive been told to check oil level with a warm engine.
and bike up right. ( center stand )
ive also noticed that the water level changes from warm to cold, in the bottle..

JMJ

cooneyr
15th December 2009, 20:05
Pretty much all KTM LC8 owners manual available here (http://www.ktm950.info/how/owners_manuals/owners_manuals.html) with all the goods on general maintenance/operation.

From page 75 of the 2007 990 manual.

Checking the engine oil level
Check the engine oil level when the engine is warm (at least 4 bars on the temperature indicator
light up). Allow the warm engine to run idle for approx. 1 minute and motorcycle place
the motorcycle on a level surface (not on the side stand).
Turn off the engine, unscrew the oil dipstick [5] and wipe off with a cloth. Screw the oil dipstick
all the way back in and back out again.

Cheers R

junkmanjoe
15th December 2009, 20:19
today, while i was waiting for tomorrow to come..:crazy:
i decided to make a head light protector for my 9fiddy...

so me and the boy went down to the local glass shop and spent $8 on a piece of clear plastic sheet aprox 4mm thick.
i have enough plastic left over for a spare screen.... bonus :yes:
i then sat on my little chair and thought up an easy way to make one up.
after looking around the net, and asking the lads on OC i decided on a touratech design.

so the end result a cheap and basic stone guard for my expensive light..

looks good.

JMJ

CrazyFrog
15th December 2009, 20:22
Gotta love the photographer with the sense of humour:yes:

Fluffy Cat
15th December 2009, 21:09
Thats bike upright not on centre stand. If you read the manual, i think.

cooneyr
15th December 2009, 21:11

Woohoo thanks for that. I saw the BMW/KTM pic some time ago but hadn't been able to find it again.

Ta R

Box'a'bits
15th December 2009, 21:13
Yup, that's be about jumping a 950....This series shows the result of one jump. Beautiful jump & landing as the photos shows. BUT broke the swingarm & the rider broke his shoulder :wacko::eek5: A MXer it aint...

Eddieb
15th December 2009, 21:16
No 200kg motorcycle is a mx'er, but a single jump also doesn't tell a life's story of usage, or maybe it does?.....

Joes seen me jump the PD several feet high but I wouldn't want to do it too often.

Box'a'bits
15th December 2009, 21:34
No 200kg motorcycle is a mx'er, but a single jump also doesn't tell a life's story of usage, or maybe it does?.....

Joes seen me jump the PD several feet high but I wouldn't want to do it too often.

Here's the linky (http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267693&page=15). Post 224 onwards. Think it was a question of speed, height & maybe :eek5: stupidity (?). There was a subsequent upgrade in swingarms, post 2004.

junkmanjoe
15th December 2009, 21:43
i believe it was the angle he landed that did the damage.
some where in OC there is another one with the swing arm and shock riped out.
from a bad jump..

JMJ