PDA

View Full Version : Scary Bikers Sewing Circle - Auckland

klingon
25th October 2009, 16:50
Hi there Scary Bikers,

I am in the process of setting up an Auckland Sewing Circle to produce kit for the various protest rides/rallies around the place.

So far we have orders for arm bands and small flags. The variety of merchandise is likely to increase as time goes on and we get more ideas.

The purpose of this project is to help protesting bikers to be visible to the general public, so everyone knows how wide-spread the movement against levy rises is. As a spin-off we will sell the merchandise to our fellow bikers at a slight profit, and all proceeds (after our expenses are subtracted) will go towards funding the protests.

Here's what we need to be a really effective Scary Sewing Circle:

A venue
Some sewing machines
Sharp scissors, thread, etc
Suitable (mostly fluoro yellow) fabric
People who know how to sew! (At least straight line and zigzag stitches!)

Can you help out with any of those things?
Does anyone have access to a high-school sewing room after hours?
Are there any volunteers?

By the way, if other regions want to set up your own Scary Bikers Sewing Circle, please feel welcome to do so. Otherwise we will consider shipping our merchandise to you from Auckland if we can make enough.

klingon
25th October 2009, 18:48
Apparently Fatt Max is too scared to join the Sewing Circle but wishes us good luck. :rolleyes:

Any other takers?

Ixion
25th October 2009, 19:05
I know how to sew. But don't have a machine. The persian gentleman knows how to sew and I think has access to a machine

NighthawkNZ
25th October 2009, 19:32
I know how to tie a bowline , and a rolling hitch but thats about it... Though I migh be able to remember how to make a monkeys fist...

guess these don't help

PrincessBandit
25th October 2009, 19:33
Happy to help. Let me know what you need.

klingon
25th October 2009, 20:39
Happy to help. Let me know what you need.

Aha! At last a second member of the Sewing Circle!

PB the first thing we need is a venue with some sewing machines... I'm kind of hoping someone will either have access to a school sewing room or maybe just a home sewing room with a couple of machines.

It would be nice if we could all gather one evening a week from now until we think we've done enough sewing! We can set up a production line of pattern cutting, sewing, marking with logos and packaging up to send away.

Sounds a bit like Hoochie Mama so far. :eek:

xwhatsit
25th October 2009, 20:47
I know how to sew. But don't have a machine. The persian gentleman knows how to sew and I think has access to a machine
Heh. Don't have a zig-zag attachment -- don't think they were very common in 1954 when my machine was made :no:

Are you trying to do some sort of embroidery?

klingon
25th October 2009, 20:53
Heh. Don't have a zig-zag attachment -- don't think they were very common in 1954 when my machine was made :no:

Are you trying to do some sort of embroidery?

Nope. Nothing as fancy as embroidery! Just straight stitching to hold two bits of fabric together, and zigzag because the arm bands will need to retain their stretch (and will be made out of a kind of jersey knit stuff).

I have my grandmother's sewing machine from about 1965 and it has both kinds of stitch. :confused:

Unfortunately I'm probably the world's worst sewer so I'm hoping others will take over and just send me to make the tea. :mellow:

Thani-B
26th October 2009, 14:30
Ive got a machine I can bring with me, and am happy to help.

klingon
26th October 2009, 15:02
Ive got a machine I can bring with me, and am happy to help.

Hooray! :woohoo:

I wonder if our first Sewing Circle should just be at my place on my kitchen table. I imagine we will spend a while planning what to do and making prototypes before we get into full production mode.

Would tomorrow (Tuesday) evening suit you all? We might be able to get our first batch together before the Ulysses meeting on Saturday.

I am in Avondale. Let me know if that suits or if there's somewhere else (a bit closer to town?) that might be a better initial venue.

I'm looking forward to it!

EDIT: Who can bring some really sharp scissors? Mine might as well be hedge clippers.

klingon
27th October 2009, 11:33
First gathering of the Scary Bikers Sewing Circle is at my place in Avondale at 7pm this evening! All welcome - just make yourself useful once you get there!

I will be making pizza, Princess Bandit will be waving scissors about, all in all it will be a scary evening! :sweatdrop

Please send me a PM if you would like to come along and I will send you the address.

StoneY
27th October 2009, 11:36
Can I join by proxy???
Klingon can do my share of the work, ill be there in spirit :lol:

Has the War Chest been set up yet?
I have cash to contribute to the Flag fund!

Thani-B
27th October 2009, 14:25
Aww bugger, cant make it tonight. Will there be another on any other day this week?

klingon
27th October 2009, 14:55
Aww bugger, cant make it tonight. Will there be another on any other day this week?

We could try for Wednesday as well (my place again). I'm keen to get as much stuff together as possible before the Ulysses gathering on Saturday. (I am meant to be at another BRONZ meeting on Thursday.)

ALSO

I need lots of small bags for the BIKOI Action Packs... things like those small vegetable bags from the supermarket, or medium zip-lok bags etc. Can anyone bring some of those along at some point?

Clean_up
28th October 2009, 00:17
i might be able to rope the missus into helping, shes not to bad on a machine ;) will get back to ya :)

PrincessBandit
28th October 2009, 06:13
If you need any other encouragement to attend I can recommend Klingon's homemade pizza.....yummy!!

Won't be able to attend tonight, but I'll have a look at Spotlight and see what I can continue with at home.

Mom
28th October 2009, 06:34
I am a sewer, I have my own machine even. Getting down to yours may cause a problem, though we are looking at coming down on Thursday to go for a little ride out with a few friends :innocent: It will be work dependant for Maha though, confirming later this morning. Happy to do some stuff at home :yes:

Thani-B
28th October 2009, 09:53
I can make it tonight. Have machine in car all ready to head over.

klingon
28th October 2009, 10:30
Brilliant! Thanks everyone who has volunteered so far. Thani_B and I will be doing some stuff tonight, and I will post in this thread when we schedule the next sewing circle. Unfortunately I definitely can't do Thursday so tonight is likely to be the last one for the week.

Anyone who would like my address to pop over this evening (from 7pm) please send me a PM.

Princess Bandit and I made a heap of arm bands yesterday (40 I think) so tonight Thani and I will do a few more, and start thinking about small flags.

We also have BIKEOI Action Packs that need to be assembled tonight, so please give us small plastic bags! No sewing required so even boys can do this job! (Full training will be given :D)

I am intending to take the Fruits of our Labours to the Manukau Ulysses gathering on Saturday so anyone who can't make it to the sewing circles will be most welcome to
a) Help sell the items
b) Buy an arm band ($2) or an Action Pack ($10) for yourself.

Woohoo! :woohoo:

Mom
28th October 2009, 10:35
Brilliant! Thanks everyone who has volunteered so far. Thani_B and I will be doing some stuff tonight, and I will post in this thread when we schedule the next sewing circle. Unfortunately I definitely can't do Thursday so tonight is likely to be the last one for the week.

Anyone who would like my address to pop over this evening (from 7pm) please send me a PM.

Princess Bandit and I made a heap of arm bands yesterday (40 I think) so tonight Thani and I will do a few more, and start thinking about small flags.

We also have BIKEOI Action Packs that need to be assembled tonight, so please give us small plastic bags! No sewing required so even boys can do this job! (Full training will be given :D)

I am intending to take the Fruits of our Labours to the Manukau Ulysses gathering on Saturday so anyone who can't make it to the sewing circles will be most welcome to
a) Help sell the items
b) Buy an arm band ($2) or an Action Pack ($10) for yourself.

Woohoo! :woohoo:

I am planning to spend some time this afternoon getting the blue lovely back together so hopefully she will be all systems go for me to ride on Saturday. Failing that I will be down on the back of Mahas bike, happy to take money off folks for kits, I even have the squeaky fish to attract attention to myself :innocent:

klingon
28th October 2009, 10:59
I am planning to spend some time this afternoon getting the blue lovely back together so hopefully she will be all systems go for me to ride on Saturday. Failing that I will be down on the back of Mahas bike, happy to take money off folks for kits, I even have the squeaky fish to attract attention to myself :innocent:

LOL excellent, Mom! You will make an excellent saleswoman with the help of your squeaky fish.

Now all we need is a secret Scary Bikers Sewing Circle wave so we will recognise each other in the street. :Oops:

klingon
31st October 2009, 18:43
Success from the Sewing Circle! :woohoo:

We had our merchandise at the Ulysses rally in Auckland today and made a nice little sum to put in the War Chest to help fund protest actions. If any Sewing Circle members would like to know the details, please feel welcome to send me a PM and I will tell you the final $$. I will be depositing the funds in the account managed by MadDuck later this evening.

Our next Sewing Circle will actually be an Ironing Circle! We're going to se eif we can put together some of the fluoro vests with iron-on BIKEOI transfers. We also need to get the flags organised - we had flags but no flag poles. Once we get the poles I'm sure the flags will be popular.

PS new members of the Sewing Circle are always welcome. :D