PDA

View Full Version : Vehicles drove past crash without stopping.

GOONR
28th October 2009, 08:23
How can anyone just drive past an accident like this (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10605849), it's just wrong. the poor bugger would have been lying in the road, did the fuckers have to drive off the road to get around him.:argh:

"At least two vehicles drove past a Waikato crash on Sunday which left a motorcyclist seriously injured and a toddler fighting for his life .

Sergeant Juliet Burgess of the Huntly traffic unit said police were yet to speak with anyone who had seen the crash, near Taupiri, 26km north of Hamilton.

"From what we've learnt so far we believe at least two vehicles didn't stop at the scene of the crash which happened on SH1 about 3pm," she said.

"It appears the southbound car the three-year-old boy was a rear seat passenger in slowed to turn into a driveway and was struck in the rear by another vehicle shunting it into the path of the northbound motorbike."

Those who had driven by may have information which was vital to those trying establish what happened and were asked to contact Huntly police."

p.dath
28th October 2009, 08:38
It sounds pretty bad. I was wondering if perhaps the whole lot was shunted off the road, or hidden from view, but that sounds hard to imagaine.

sondela
28th October 2009, 09:29
hmm.. I wait in anticipation for someone to claim the biker brought it on him/her self..

Azi Dahaka
28th October 2009, 10:41
I had an accident once where I was coming to a roundabout doing everything right headlight on, right of way, etc

And this stupid woman in a car looked at me and so I knew she saw me and so I pulled into the roundabout. She then pulled out in front of me and I had to slide my bike.

So heres me lying in pain in the middle of the road in the roundabout and I looked up to see her brake lights come on. So a sigh of relief that she was stopping to assist I then opened my eyes again to notice her driving off leaving me for dead.

Now the good part I dragged myself to my feet and dragged myself and my bike to the side of the road. By my count I would have said 40 cars passed me lying there on the side of the road not one stopped to help but all had the nerve to stare out their windows.

Car drivers disappoint me on so many levels

GOONR
28th October 2009, 10:55
I had an accident once where I was coming to a roundabout doing everything right headlight on, right of way, etc

And this stupid woman in a car looked at me and so I knew she saw me and so I pulled into the roundabout. She then pulled out in front of me and I had to slide my bike.

So heres me lying in pain in the middle of the road in the roundabout and I looked up to see her brake lights come on. So a sigh of relief that she was stopping to assist I then opened my eyes again to notice her driving off leaving me for dead.

Now the good part I dragged myself to my feet and dragged myself and my bike to the side of the road. By my count I would have said 40 cars passed me lying there on the side of the road not one stopped to help but all had the nerve to stare out their windows.

Car drivers disappoint me on so many levels

That's just selfish and nasty for people to do that. What has happened to peoples morals that they won't stop at an accident to see if they can help, even if it's just to give a witness statement if needed.

psycho22
28th October 2009, 11:04
I had a similar situation when i was riding the scooter in the rain. I hit the white line on a roundabout and it slid out. The scooter rolls of to the side of the road I'm on the shoulder and a 4wd thinks its funny to swerve at me as I'm lying there thinking what the fuck just happened. About 13 cars went past until a cop came through and helped me sort the scooter out and he even gave me a ride home. One of the good ones.

Rayray401
28th October 2009, 11:09
woah you all had it bad..when I had mine...i got driven to the hospital in a commodore, a whole group of people said they'd be willing to be witnesses in what happened..

Katman
28th October 2009, 11:10
And some on here think I'm deluded when I suggest that there is a deep seated contempt for motorcyclists among a large percentage of the general public.

sondela
28th October 2009, 11:19
Is it not perhaps that there's such an atmosphere of blame in our oh so correct world today that people won't do anything for anyone anymore, in case they get blamed for doing it wrong..

It's a part of life in other parts of the world that if you collapse in the street, people will leave you there, rather than get involved, and get sued..

Sad, really, that's it's happening here too..

Katman
28th October 2009, 11:22
Is it not perhaps that there's such an atmosphere of blame in our oh so correct world today that people won't do anything for anyone anymore, in case they get blamed for doing it wrong..

No, I think it's more to do with the fact that we're motorcyclists.

StoneY
28th October 2009, 11:22
And some on here think I'm deluded when I suggest that there is a deep seated contempt for motorcyclists among a large percentage of the general public.

For once, no your not deluded, your in fact bang on the money

I still say it doesnt justify half the crap you throw at your fellow bikers, but this time I actually agree with you

Even gave ya a bling!

gtr boy
28th October 2009, 11:24
most aucklanders just couldnt give a fk....wrapped up in there own world of me me me me.........hard to find the good ones in these situations unfortunately,i know from experience...

Katman
28th October 2009, 11:24
I still say it doesnt justify half the crap you throw at your fellow bikers, but this time I actually agree with you

What, you don't like me calling a spade a spade?

klingon
28th October 2009, 11:26
My sister had a serious car crash several years ago. She was driving far too fast on a wet road, lost control and flipped her car onto its roof on the side of the road (SH1 near Atiamuri).

She was initially trapped upside down in the car by her seat belt, and watched other vehicles driving past, all looking out their windows at her. Eventually she got free and crawled out through the broken windscreen, blood streaming down her face. Other vehicles drove past her at that point.

She sat on the side of the road, bleeding, confused and crying. Eventually a police car arrived (someone had called to report the accident).

Not a single car stopped to offer her assistance.

Of course it was raining. Obviously they didn't want to get wet. :argh:

klingon
28th October 2009, 11:27

Katman, I think there is a deep seated contempt for humans among a large percentage of the general public. Sometimes I despair of my fellow human beings.

psycho22
28th October 2009, 11:30

Agreed.There is certainly a stigma out there and sadly it's probably for a reason.

Azi Dahaka
28th October 2009, 11:31
in the end result because i didnt have a mobile and my arm was burnt from sliding good old nylon.(This was before i had armour to protect me when i was 15-16 and just started riding) i had to ride home in 1st gear and with one arm. though after that incident i saved up and brought my kevlar jacket.

Azi Dahaka
28th October 2009, 11:33

Rain or no rain it is just common curtesy I have stopped a number of time when I have seen a biker parked on the side of the road to see if they need help. And I would say if I saw someone sitting on the side of the road bleeding I would do all in my power to help.

Ixion
28th October 2009, 11:38
They did drive past the crashed car with an injured child in it too, y'know.

klingon
Rain or no rain it is just common curtesy I have stopped a number of time when I have seen a biker parked on the side of the road to see if they need help. And I would say if I saw someone sitting on the side of the road bleeding I would do all in my power to help.

You have restored my faith in humanity. :hug:

Yes, if I saw someone sitting on the side of the road bleeding, next to an overturned car, I would also stop and help.

Unfortunately we may be in the minority! :wacko:

ital916
Coming back from coro after dropping blackbird off, a car coming in the opposite direction went into a ditch at about 100km/hr trying to avoid the car in front of them which slammed the brakes on for some ducks crossing.

Lucky bastard walked away from it but the car was a bit of a mess. I was one of only two cars that stopped. I was the first and had the emergency services on the phone before I even got out. The other driver started directing traffic. Out of all the cars though that witnessed it, many slowed but only we stopped.

I don't get why people don't stop. Yeah, youll be late for wherever you are going but a human life could be at stake.

Its not only accidents that people lack courtesy and a basic sense of honour in. If i see a mother with a pram struggling to get it up some stairs or getting on off the the train, I will help her...and just stuff like that. Youd be surprised how many people just stare and walk away.

klingon
28th October 2009, 11:43
...I don't get why people don't stop. Yeah, youll be late for wherever you are going but a human life could be at stake.

And, when you get where you're going, you have two potential stories to tell:

"Sorry I'm late, I stopped to help a guy who had crashed his car into a ditch!"
"I'm glad I'm on time. I saw a guy crash his car into a ditch but I didn't stop in case it made me late. I don't know if he survived the crash, but at least I'm here on time!"

Azi Dahaka
28th October 2009, 11:44
You have restored my faith in humanity. :hug:

Yes, if I saw someone sitting on the side of the road bleeding, next to an overturned car, I would also stop and help.

Unfortunately we may be in the minority! :wacko:

All I know is if it happened to me (AND IT DID) I would want someone to help me. (THAT DIDN'T HAPPEN)

As I say we bikers have to look out for each other because on one else is going to.

That is why I always wave to other bikers and be courteous to them

Katman
28th October 2009, 11:47
Gah! I knew this would become a waving thread.

:slap:

TuonoTom
28th October 2009, 11:50
Things like this make it easy to lose your faith in people.

sondela
28th October 2009, 11:51
well we gotta have something to smile about!!

klingon
28th October 2009, 11:52
Gah! I knew this would become a waving thread.

:slap:

Hi there Katman :wavey:

sondela
28th October 2009, 11:56
Hi there Katman :wavey:

Haha there you go..something to smile about :D

PrincessBandit
28th October 2009, 12:28
I find it amazing that people are so engrossed in their own needs that they cannot put themselves out to assist.

Even copping abuse from those you stop to check means at least you give them the opportunity to be helped. If I'm on my own I'm reluctant to stop and offer assistance at night, sadly there are incidents of those offering help being attacked. But I'd always slow and if possible check the situation from the safety of my car.

The other thing to note is that it does sometimes happen that where an accident has occurred makes it very difficult to stop in time in a safe manner and in a safe place, especially if you have traffic up your backside who make no allowance for you to slow and pull over. By then most people probably would drive past assuming (often wrongly) that someone else behind them will be the good samaritan.....

JohnR
28th October 2009, 12:30

It's a part of life in other parts of the world that if you collapse in the street, people will leave you there, rather than get involved, and get sued..

Sad, really, that's it's happening here too..

Imagine then, if you will, what it will be like when ACC is gone (privatised or whatever) and people have the right to sue:buggerd:

Once again... be careful what you wish for:nono:

GOONR
28th October 2009, 12:50
They did drive past the crashed car with an injured child in it too, y'know.

I thought about that when I did the OP. People driving past wouldn't have known that but they would (I suspect) have seen a person lying on the floor. Either way it was a serious crash and people just buggered off.

I wasn't trying to start a "they hate motorbikes" campaign it was more of a "these peoples have no morals" grumble.

GOONR
28th October 2009, 12:54

I have done the same and will keep on doing it. The last time didn't impress Mrs GOONR too much, it was chucking it down and there was a biker at the side of the road. I stopped next to him and lowered the passenger window so that I could chat with him. Mrs GOONR was in the passenger seat and got soaked.
:Oops:

Insanity_rules
28th October 2009, 12:54
Yep when I had my minor off on the Honda no one stopped, including the stupid bitch who caused it. I should have ran into her rather than avioding her.

I always stop, isn't it a legal thing that you have to?

CookMySock
28th October 2009, 13:02
IF there was lots of other people around to handle the situation, and IF I had my children in the car, chances are I would prevent them from seeing the situation too. I don't cope at all well with that type of thing, so quite likely I would end up being part of the problem.

Steve

GOONR
28th October 2009, 13:08
IF there was lots of other people around to handle the situation, and IF I had my children in the car, chances are I would prevent them from seeing the situation too. I don't cope at all well with that type of thing, so quite likely I would end up being part of the problem.

Steve

Fair point.

vifferman
28th October 2009, 13:28
I always stop, isn't it a legal thing that you have to?
Indeed it is. If you'd got her number, you could have reported her.

Well, I must say that I've had help in all the crashes I've had. Best was the last one - I had a nurse who was just coming off duty, and a doctor who was on his way to work. A local took my bike away and parked it at his house, someone else phned for an ambulance, and one of the ambos lent me his phone to call work. (That was a laugh, as at the time I made the call, I was actually right outside the office!)

Anomaly
28th October 2009, 13:46
I think it is horrible what the world is coming to and it is just going to get worse. There is no honor or compasion in society any more. and nothing is being taught to the generations coming though.

If I saw a accident and noone else had stoped I would stop and help even if I was on my own, same with a bike if it was on the side of the road i would stop even if i didnt know how to fix what was wrong.

I just think this world is going down the drain big time :S

kwaka_crasher
28th October 2009, 13:57
Agreed.There is certainly a stigma out there and sadly it's probably for a reason.

Yeah. It's because we're different. Nothing more.

kave
28th October 2009, 14:07
I have been in a situation where I have been lying on the ground (next to my bike) and cars have been driving around me ( http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=1066756&postcount=13 ). It is an unpleasant feeling. I always stop at a crash if I am first on the scene (or if I witness the accident), but will not necessarily stop if there are already a number of people on site who have things under control. In the last few months I have had a GPX250 and a Vespa both crash in front of me (seperate single-vehicle accidents), not stopping didn't even cross my mind.

Azi Dahaka
28th October 2009, 14:19
Yep when I had my minor off on the Honda no one stopped, including the stupid bitch who caused it. I should have ran into her rather than avioding her.

only problem with hitting her is you are likely to get more damage delt to your person. flying through the side window can kill you.

White trash
28th October 2009, 14:39

Steve
Same boat as you I'm afraid, cope VERY badly with that sort of shit.

Hopwever, what say there's heaps of traffic around but nobodies yet stopped? Do you keep going or be the first to stop.

crazyhorse
28th October 2009, 14:42
Sad, I think. If it were them, I am sure they would like people to stop and help, even if not just to help direct traffic or call 111

Maki
28th October 2009, 16:09
My sister had a serious car crash several years ago. She was driving far too fast on a wet road, lost control and flipped her car onto its roof on the side of the road (SH1 near Atiamuri).

She was initially trapped upside down in the car by her seat belt, and watched other vehicles driving past, all looking out their windows at her. Eventually she got free and crawled out through the broken windscreen, blood streaming down her face. Other vehicles drove past her at that point.

She sat on the side of the road, bleeding, confused and crying. Eventually a police car arrived (someone had called to report the accident).

Not a single car stopped to offer her assistance.

Damn, that's shocking. Is it not a crime to fail to render assistance in a situation like that? That must be a far more serious offence than speeding.

750duc
28th October 2009, 16:51

Just a wee bit paranoid katman......... do people look at you funny all the time too? :eek5:

Has nothing to do with whether a person is on a bike or not, some people will always drive past a crash because they are scared of what they might have to do, because they didnt see it, or just because they are too self involved

James Deuce
28th October 2009, 17:12
I've had bikers ride around me mate.

Nothing surprises me now.

I'll stop and help irrespective of past treatment, but don't expect me to regard you as "brother" simply because you ride a bike.

Katman
28th October 2009, 17:22
I'll stop and help irrespective of past treatment, but don't expect me to regard you as "brother" simply because you ride a bike.

Hear, hear.

gatch
28th October 2009, 17:37
Id help because I'm a good cunt.

Unless they were boozed.. Then I might have somewhere better to be..

Headbanger
28th October 2009, 17:54
I stopped and rang an ambulance for an older gent earlier today, He was fucked up. Numerous people must have seen the distress he was in.

Never fuckin mind, Got the bastard into an Ambo while he was still breathing, Even if it did make me late for a good mates funeral. Fuckin 44,fuckin cancer.

Its been that kind of a day.

Fuck it.

Time for beer and metal.

And then.

More beer and metal.