PDA

View Full Version : BIKEOI Tauranga – 7 November 2009

MotoGirl
28th October 2009, 08:59
From the organisers of Tauranga's protest ride:

This is an announcement to all interested parties including motorcycle enthusiasts, dealers, riders and clubs. In Tauranga on Saturday, 7 November, there will be a protest ride against the proposed increases to the motorcycle ACC levies.

The ride will leave the Baypark Stadium, Truman Lane, Te Maunga, Mt Maunganui (http://maps.google.co.nz/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&q=Truman+Ln,+Bay+Of+Plenty+3175&sll=-41.244772,172.617188&sspn=44.431684,78.662109&ie=UTF8&cd=1&geocode=FWf0wP0dChKBCg&split=0&hq=&hnear=Truman+Ln,+Bay+Of+Plenty+3175&ll=-37.686164,176.230917&spn=0.011496,0.019205&z=16) at 9:00a.m. We ask that all participants be there before 9:00a.m. to get organized. The route will take us through Mangatapu and Windemere to the Gate Pa roundabout, onto Cameron Road through to Elizabeth Street, then via Devonport Road, Hamilton Street and Willow/Spring Street to end up at the ACC offices on Grey Street.

We are planning to meet with the National MP Mr. Simon Bridges who has been invited to appear to discuss our displeasure and concerns regarding the proposed legislation.

We encourage everyone with an interest in motorcycling to attend this peaceful demonstration. The organizers that may be contacted are:

McDonald Motor Trimmers (07) 578-7903
Bayride Motorcycles Ltd. (07) 571-3040
Max Neal 0274822897
Paul Willard (Waikato BRONZ) 021638223.

Please note the organizers accept no responsibility for any risks incurred during the ride.

TerminalAddict
28th October 2009, 15:14
o_O . .that be my name right thar !!! :D

I'll make sure people at the Waikato rally this weekend know about this.

Paul.
p.s. Max keeps trying to call me re: press release .... hook a brother up eh ;)

TerminalAddict
28th October 2009, 18:41
MODs .. pin please ?

I've just got off the phone, talking to Max.

He is in desperate need to for people to help with intersection duty.

The police are giving him grief (this is an understatement .. threatened arrest .. all sorts !!!! ) so if you can help ring/text Max, Me .. anyone !!!!

Sounds like we need to give big "f@ck yeah" to bayride motorcycles for their support !!!.

Nov 7th people .. get to the Mount!

StoneY
28th October 2009, 18:54
Mate

Call the Police HQ in Wellington, ask for Inspector Peter McKay

tell him your the quote:
"Sanctioned Regional BIKEOI coordinator"

He knows the score and can whip the locals into line, but be warned he wont tollerate time wasting, so serious numbers have to roll for his support bro

Good luck, call me if you need me direct, numbers in coordinator threads

Good work Tauranga

Genestho
28th October 2009, 19:16
MODs .. pin please ?

I've just got off the phone, talking to Max.

He is in desperate need to for people to help with intersection duty.

The police are giving him grief (this is an understatement .. threatened arrest .. all sorts !!!! ) so if you can help ring/text Max, Me .. anyone !!!!

Sounds like we need to give big "f@ck yeah" to bayride motorcycles for their support !!!.

Nov 7th people .. get to the Mount!
Yea Lindsay & Wendy!! Must go do coffee tomorrow :whistle:

Has Max Neal been in touch with Ian Campion? He's a good dude, easy to deal with. WBOP Traffic Manager - Greerton Police Station. Can't imagine why there'd be grief, peaceful protest and all that. We had 400 bikes at the BADD ride in 07, no dramas there. Mind you wasn't a protest.

Matt_TG
28th October 2009, 20:24
There was a piece on the ride on page two of todays BOP Times, and an editorial about the levies that was sympathetic to bikers. Good on ya BOP Times, McDonald Motor Trimmers and Bayride.

Hit up Simon Bridges on his Facebook profile so he has no option but to attend.... Link (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/profile.php?id=1396232104&ref=nf)

Now, who has a bike I can hire/borrow? My wife and I want to attend but my bike's not well at the moment :(

ZephyrMark2
28th October 2009, 20:50
Count me in for the ride... I'm off to Oz the next day, but will definately be on this one!!

Mark

MidnightMike
31st October 2009, 22:21
I'll most likely be there aswell, on the SV or T-Rex, see how that week pans out.

triumphnz
1st November 2009, 23:37
Ill be there

ZephyrMark2
2nd November 2009, 16:00
Hey...

Think he'll respond???

I've just asked Simon Bridges on FB if he'll come to our rally?

Matt_TG
2nd November 2009, 16:10
Hey...

Think he'll respond???

We'll see ... I asked if Tony was coming too :)

Response:

Simon Bridges
Hi there. Yep I am coming to the rally. Looking forward to hearing the views from bikies.

ZephyrMark2
2nd November 2009, 16:23
We'll see ... I asked if Tony was coming too :)

Fantastic.. I just saw that...

I encourage everyone to do similar. It shows the MP's that their constituients are requiring some actual 'fronting' up.

Matt_TG
2nd November 2009, 19:51
Come on Tauranga riders, we can get more responses in here, it's unusually quiet for a Tauranga thread ... maybe we should include the words Okororie and Coro Loop in the title :scooter:

Thanks to RevDWC (Justin) for allowing me the use of his bike for the ride. Actually, more than just thanks are due, I am in debt for your selflessness.

How are things going with the Traffic Control etc? I have some contacts at Police, but GDB, not traffic. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

ZephyrMark2
3rd November 2009, 06:03
Come on Tauranga riders, we can get more responses in here, it's unusually quiet for a Tauranga thread ... maybe we should include the words Okororie and Coro Loop in the title :scooter:

Thanks to RevDWC (Justin) for allowing me the use of his bike for the ride. Actually, more than just thanks are due, I am in debt for your selflessness.

How are things going with the Traffic Control etc? I have some contacts at Police, but GDB, not traffic. Let me know if there's anything I can do.

Going by the lack of conversation on this thread, you'd almost wonder how many people were turning up.

Just got confirmation (on Facefriend) that Simon Bridges is coming and looks forward to hearing our views.

So come'on people, let's have a great rally and show our dissatisfaction at the current proposals.

Mark

Cajun
3rd November 2009, 06:49

Max Neal is still having some issues with the Cops.

But that is hopeful be sorted next few days.

If anyone is wanting to help with traffic control along the route, be at baypark at 8am.

Max is pretty easy to spot, he is on a big kawasaki vulcan drifter bike, with a trailer, he is a skinny guy with long grey hair. Or look for my bright yellow gsxr 600.

wysper
3rd November 2009, 09:20
I would have come over from Hammy but can't make it. It is my daughters birthday party.. my darling wife has invited over 23 kids :crybaby::bash:

RevDWC
3rd November 2009, 12:35
Not sure if I'll make it due to work, but will see what happens, may arrive at the ACC building if I'm too late to join any part of the ride.

MidnightMike
4th November 2009, 09:03

That's because the majority of the Tga riders have moved to their own site due to issues with the Mods...

I'll see if they know about it, they probably do.

-Mike.

GreyAngel
4th November 2009, 09:03
anyone from Auckland going (it's only 200k)?

Highlander
5th November 2009, 17:36
Now, who has a bike I can hire/borrow? My wife and I want to attend but my bike's not well at the moment :(

Sorry bud, much as I'd like to attend all of our bikes will be at Hampton Downs that day.

MotoGirl
5th November 2009, 18:07
Hey...

Think he'll respond???

I'm told that Simon Bridges was reluctant to attend since he's afraid for his safety. :rofl: Who'd be scared of a bunch of leather-clad and angry bikers?

The RSVR and I will be on one of the intersections stopping traffic.

Matt_TG
5th November 2009, 19:36
You will literally stop traffic Adelle!

There have been some 'agressive' comments towards Simon Bridges that don't help matters. I hope he is there and gets the chance to be open and conversational, not defensive and fearful..

I picked up my loaner bike tonight (thanks again Justin!) and are looking forward to the ride.

dino3310
6th November 2009, 10:45
i was heading over to add to the numbers, but home sick today bloody bug going through the family(literaly):angry:so i cant make this one.
Hope its a goody and ya get the numbers.
imagine i am holding fist in air like a blackpanther sayin 'Right on brothers & sisters Right on'
:ride:

MotoGirl
6th November 2009, 11:06
i was heading over to add to the numbers, but home sick today bloody bug going through the family(literaly):angry:so i cant make this one.
Hope its a goody and ya get the numbers.
imagine i am holding fist in air like a blackpanther sayin 'Right on brothers & sisters Right on'
:ride:

Cheers. It will be interesting to see whether we get any people!

triumphnz
6th November 2009, 18:40
:rockon::rockon::rockon:

spookytooth
6th November 2009, 20:13
Think i can leaver 5 or 6 out of there zimmer frames and on to there bikes for the morning

ZephyrMark2
6th November 2009, 20:27
You will literally stop traffic Adelle!

There have been some 'agressive' comments towards Simon Bridges that don't help matters. I hope he is there and gets the chance to be open and conversational, not defensive and fearful..

I picked up my loaner bike tonight (thanks again Justin!) and are looking forward to the ride.

He said he was looking forward to hearing from the motorcycling community last week.. I'll be really upset if he feels threatened as this undermines the whole principle of the protest. We're trying to show govt that we are everyday people who are being affected.

Man.. I really hope he turns up..

Mark

What?
7th November 2009, 09:48
What a turn-out!
Over 1100 bikes. Probably well over, as I was far from being the only late arrival.

And Simon Bridges was there, and seemed to be receptive (although he was likely looking at ~1500 votes...) He did make a very good point though - PUT IN A SUBMISSION.

Thanks to Max, Adelle and others for putting it together. I'd say that the voice of Tauranga riders has been heard.

cambridgedan
7th November 2009, 10:27
that was awesome ill have some photos in a few mins :D:scooter:

cambridgedan
7th November 2009, 10:38
Here are some of the pics :D

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs056.snc3/14337_167133406533_710436533_3276873_3282846_n.jpg

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs076.snc3/14337_167133456533_710436533_3276874_5254112_n.jpg

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs076.snc3/14337_167133486533_710436533_3276877_1705412_n.jpg

http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs056.snc3/14337_167133491533_710436533_3276878_7788959_n.jpg

http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs056.snc3/14337_167133511533_710436533_3276879_6178432_n.jpg

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs056.snc3/14337_167133541533_710436533_3276885_6155808_n.jpg

I bet these guys felt a bit out numbered haha
http://photos-a.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs056.snc3/14337_167133551533_710436533_3276887_2805338_n.jpg

Matt_TG
7th November 2009, 10:56
Some more pics:

Matt_TG
7th November 2009, 10:58
... and some more

Naki Rat
7th November 2009, 10:58
Be very afraid Nicksta Smith, the rumble is growing louder :scooter:

Roll on the 17th :woohoo:

triumphnz
8th November 2009, 08:06
some video we shot of the back of the bike of the tauranga protest ride will upload morehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYDhVOVCtv0&NR=1:rockon:

cambridgedan
8th November 2009, 08:23
mean vid because i was in it haha :D

Naki Rat
8th November 2009, 09:34
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYDhVOVCtv0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/fYDhVOVCtv0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Much betterer :yes:

Genestho
8th November 2009, 10:24
What a turnout!

Where I stand, due to circumstances - As one family of three dead Motorcyclists affected by a repeat drunk motorist who should not have been on the roads in 07.

Taxing Motorcyclists seems unfair in a no fault scheme. And it is a good scheme or those who deservedly need it.

If there is to be fault - tax levies across all motorists based on driver/rider history. Someone suggested link levies to demerit points?

If there is to be fault introduced, then automatically those who injure/maim/kill with dangerous and unlawful convicted acts should not be entitled to most compensation options. Culpability? (As it stands courts and letters and faffing around - more waste of taxpayer dollars)

Good work Tauranga:yes:

Taserdar
8th November 2009, 12:14
Awsome job Tauranga:woohoo:

munster
8th November 2009, 15:24
Here are some of the pics :D
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs056.snc3/14337_167133541533_710436533_3276885_6155808_n.jpg

OMG My Dad is world famous on the internet. Silver haired gentleman bottom right in profile with the cool sunnies on.

Hi Dad.:cool:

spookytooth
8th November 2009, 17:05
Yup i was expecting maybe 50 to 100 bikes max,i just couldn't stop smiling as i rode down the tunnel of bikes parked all the way down the road past baypark.Bring on the 16th/17th :)

triumphnz
8th November 2009, 19:05
my thoughts exactly:rockon:

MotoGirl
8th November 2009, 19:15
mean vid because i was in it haha :D

Normally the biggest numbers we see in Tauranga is for the Easter Egg Run. I was pleased to see that the protest number blew those numbers out of the water.

You may not have heard just how long the line of bikes was, but according to the cops (I was a marshall at an intersection and they had radios), the line went from Barkes Corner all the way back to the Maungatapu bridge. That's a fair distance!

spookytooth
8th November 2009, 19:46
Yea it sure was a hell of a buzz hitting the Oripi round about seeing bikes 2 abreast as far as i could see in frount and behind us

DidJit
8th November 2009, 19:59
Well done Tauranga! :2thumbsup

Matt_TG
8th November 2009, 21:58
the line went from Barkes Corner all the way back to the Maungatapu bridge. That's a fair distance!

7.23kms in fact :)

TomJ
8th November 2009, 21:58
Well done Tauranga! :2thumbsup

well done all as it was a fantastic ride and display of solidarity against a stupid proposal. When I came home my son asked; "is that it now, have you won?" - no but it was a very positive step in the right direction. thanks to all the organisers - great job:clap:

twistemotion
9th November 2009, 17:12
Well done BOP! Was there any news coverage of the ride, as I can't seem to find any?

greminn
9th November 2009, 17:14
I'm told that Simon Bridges was reluctant to attend since he's afraid for his safety. :rofl: Who'd be scared of a bunch of leather-clad and angry bikers?

The RSVR and I will be on one of the intersections stopping traffic.

Im sure that its been said before... but maybe he should have been scared turning up in a PINK SHIRT!!!! ...says me with my avatar - tho if his shirt had that written on it, i wonder how people would have taken it?

A fantastic turn out! What an amazing thing to see and be a part of.

BOP Times Article for those who are interested: http://www.bayofplentytimes.co.nz/local/news/hundreds-ride-wave-of-protest-into-city/3906210/

cambridgedan
9th November 2009, 18:11
are there anymore videos or photos anywhere? i saw heaps of people with video cameras and taking photos so there must be some somewhere

MotoGirl
9th November 2009, 20:51
are there anymore videos or photos anywhere? i saw heaps of people with video cameras and taking photos so there must be some somewhere

I took a video of Max's speech and also got what Simon Bridges said. My arm was tired by the time Eric Webster got up to speak so I missed that bit. We will post our video tomorrow.

cambridgedan
9th November 2009, 21:00
I took a video of Max's speech and also got what Simon Bridges said. My arm was tired by the time Eric Webster got up to speak so I missed that bit. We will post our video tomorrow.

that would be cool, i couldnt hear what they were saying, but i was meaning the bikes in the ride aswell

MotoGirl
9th November 2009, 21:03
that would be cool, i couldnt hear what they were saying, but i was meaning the bikes in the ride aswell

I didn't get any of the bikes since (technically speaking) I didn't do the ride. That's the thing with doing traffic control, I guess - you get deployed before the ride and miss out on all the fun!

MotoGirl
10th November 2009, 10:19
The video from the protest ride:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/giD43iIDKmg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/giD43iIDKmg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>