PDA

View Full Version : Is this legal?

TOTO
28th October 2009, 12:26
Saw this Vespa today and was wondering if having a mirror on such an awkward place was legal ?

After all it is pointing backwards. Is there a law that says a mirror has to be on your handlebars ?

Ixion
28th October 2009, 12:34
No . Doesn't have to be on the bars (A lot of bikes have them on the fairing). So long as it shows yu the road and traffic behind you

Incidentally, you have to HAVE a mirror (only one). But , illogically there is no requirement that it be sensibly adjusted.

R6_kid
28th October 2009, 12:53
99% of standard motorcycle mirrors are mounted in an 'awkward' place. I am convinced that the real purpose of mirrors on motorcycles are so that you can see your shoulder/arm, or if you are vain, your face.

Then again not being able to see a whole lot behind you in your mirror is a good cue to make you head check, which you should always be doing anyway.

Holy Roller
28th October 2009, 14:09
Saw this Vespa today and was wondering if having a mirror on such an awkward place was legal ?

After all it is pointing backwards. Is there a law that says a mirror has to be on your handlebars ?

Only one ?
usually there are heaps all over the bike

The Pastor
28th October 2009, 14:12
99% of standard motorcycle mirrors are mounted in an 'awkward' place. I am convinced that the real purpose of mirrors on motorcycles are so that you can see your shoulder/arm, or if you are raj, your face.

Then again not being able to see a whole lot behind you in your mirror is a good cue to make you head check, which you should always be doing anyway.

fixed it for you.

AllanB
28th October 2009, 14:15
I once saw a custom bike with a tiny dentist mirror fixed to the handlebar!!!!! I am unsure if the law sets a minimum square cm for the mirror.

I used to be legal to have a kids bike squeeze horn as your motorcycle horn..... probably not now.

klingon
28th October 2009, 14:18
49 cc and under don't need a warrant. Does that mean they don't need a mirror either? Or just that nobody will ever check them for a mirror?

TOTO
28th October 2009, 14:18
I once saw a custom bike with a tiny dentist mirror fixed to the handlebar!!!!! I am unsure if the law sets a minimum square cm for the mirror.

I used to be legal to have a kids bike squeeze horn as your motorcycle horn..... probably not now.

haha, that is brilliant :lol:

Morcs
28th October 2009, 14:53
Well this is the mirror on my Fazer...

good visibility actually. straight under my arm. (bottom left pic)
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/49/108368849_full.jpg

TOTO
28th October 2009, 22:03
Well this is the mirror on my Fazer...

good visibility actually. straight under my arm. (bottom left pic)
http://images.trademe.co.nz/photoserver/49/108368849_full.jpg

thats cool. i presume it only works coz u are as skinny as a Somali pirate.

Maha
28th October 2009, 22:08
Im picking its owned by a female who rides in a short skirt and likes one last check to see if its all trimmed and powdered before entering the work place...;)

pzkpfw
28th October 2009, 22:11
All I see are elbows.

(Mine.)

peasea
29th October 2009, 18:51
99% of standard motorcycle mirrors are mounted in an 'awkward' place. I am convinced that the real purpose of mirrors on motorcycles are so that you can see your shoulder/arm, or if you are vain, your face.

I'd bling ya but the mods went all gay on me.

You're quite right, mirrors are just a guide and there certainly is a fine line between seeing your elbow and not having the mirror too far from your line of vision.

I get about one third elbow and two thirds cop car.:whistle:

peasea
29th October 2009, 18:55

I had both on my old Triumph but I am pretty sure there is a minimum area for mirrors nowadays. For VIN requirements if not WOF; there are many custom mirrors out there that are flat-out useless but they look cool.

The squeeze-bulb horn I had was old-school with a loop in it. Love to know where it went.........along with my flying goggles.

Ixion
29th October 2009, 21:17
Squeeze bulb is still legal. Has to be audible at some distance (100 mtr? not sure)

StoneY
29th October 2009, 21:22
ST has awesome mirrors....i think, hardly use em (unless Hawkeyes behind me )

Anyone have those old fashioned bar end ones? they any use? (serious question)

mossy1200
29th October 2009, 21:38
ST has awesome mirrors....i think, hardly use em (unless Hawkeyes behind me )

Anyone have those old fashioned bar end ones? they any use? (serious question)

I got one on the left which isnt legal but I put a stock one on the rt to get warrents.Naughty Mossy.It works kind of.