PDA

View Full Version : Blackbird vs Street Triple - first impressions

Blackbird
28th October 2009, 17:00
There are few absolutes in life and the same goes for motorcycles and how they're regarded. It’s mainly what they’re used for which defines how good they are apart from the very rare lemon which sinks without trace. Also, a learner stepping up in capacity is likely to have a different view of a bike than someone stepping down from a bigger bike – just like me in fact!

The decision to move from a Honda Blackbird owned for 8 years to a Triumph Street Triple was for a number of reasons but the main driver centred around increasing age, short legs and a heavy, tall(ish) bike in the shape of the Blackbird. I’ve loved that bike with a passion. It’s seen me through long distance events like the Southern Cross and Grand Challenge, through to racetrack behaviour round East Cape with the lads and even pootling along with Jennie for an ice cream at the next coastal village. From the outset, a conscious decision was made NOT to replace it with a pure sports bike as it would be all too easy to make direct comparisons with something that became part of my soul. Dissatisfaction and regret lies in that direction!

However, one of the non-negotiable criteria after owning a ‘bird was something with errr… “decent” performance. After many hours poring over paper specifications followed by visits to dealers and an eventual road test lasting for just over an hour, the Triumph Street Triple seemed to fill both the performance requirements and that elusive but important emotional appeal.

Money was handed over and a pick-up date set. However, the question remained whether that hour and a bit of a test ride had been sufficient to warrant saying goodbye to the ‘bird and parting with a not inconsiderable sum of readies.

Well, a mate drove me to Hamilton this morning to pick up the Triple and we set off back to Coromandel in perfect, sunny conditions. Heath from Hamilton Motorcycles simply couldn't have been better to deal with - fantastic guy.

First impression is how easy it is to just get on and ride. Normally, there's a bit of nervousness in getting on a new machine bit the Triple felt "right" from the onset. Controls were ergonomically perfect for my build and coupled with the light weight, I found the whole package confidence-inspiring for slow speed work in town. The more upright riding position also gave a good all-round field of vision. The only slight annoyance when in traffic was more snatch on a trailing throttle than the Blackbird. On the open road, it was far less noticeable.

On clearing the city limits, it started to reveal more of it’s character with a sexy induction howl drowning out the whistle from the fuel injection – niiice….:love: The first part of the journey was on open roads with just a few sweepers and sitting at just over an indicated 100 km/hr, there was surprisingly little wind blast. The seat-footpeg geometry must be similar to that of the ‘bird as there were no appreciable differences and the seat itself was perfectly comfortable for the 170km trip home.

On reaching the Thames – Coromandel coast, the differences between the Triple and the ‘bird started to make themselves apparent. Whereas the 230-odd kg of the ‘bird requires a bit of precision to get set up for the twisties, the 167 kg Triple simply doesn’t seem to care; it’ll handle anything even if you’re a bit sloppy. It does bounce around a bit more on an uneven surface, but not in a disconcerting way. Even keeping the revs and load within prescribed break-in limits, torque delivery for driving out of corners was excellent and far better than I’d imagined it to be when comparing it with a torque monster like the Blackbird. As you might expect, directional changes required no effort at all and there was plenty of grip from the Dunlop Qualifiers.

I arrived home as fresh as a daisy with a huge grin on my face and wanting more. The Blackbird and Triple are both wonderful bikes, although with likely different end-uses in mind. I think that for my home patch of the Coromandel Peninsula, the Triple might well prove to be the better bike.

Oh yes, and something else. The Blackbird is the sort of bike that says “I have nothing to prove to anyone because I’m all class” (ahem…with a few notable exceptions). The Street Triple on the other hand says “Who are you lookin’ at?” Not quite the motorcycle equivalent of the car “Christine”, but definitely a “Bad to the Bone” on the MP3 player type bike. Going to have to watch that in the coming weeks!:whistle:

Chooky
28th October 2009, 18:13
Good one Geoff......... When's the 1st service......?
I'll ride over to Hamilton with you....:)

Blackbird
28th October 2009, 18:20
Good one Geoff......... When's the 1st service......?
I'll ride over to Hamilton with you....:)

1000 km, Graeme. See you on Friday then:whistle:

Just joking:hug:

merv
28th October 2009, 18:25
What are you telling us? Its a good bike for old fellahs?

Blackbird
28th October 2009, 18:28
What are you telling us? Its a good bike for old fellahs?

Nope, it's good for shortarses and old fellas with ATTITUDE :bash:

jrandom
28th October 2009, 18:31
Great girl's bike, the Striple. I know someone who'll be upgrading to one from a Scorpio soon.

:msn-wink:

martybabe
28th October 2009, 18:38
promising start eh Geoff. Always takes me a while to adapt to a new ride, essentially the same thing, two wheels and an engine but man how different they can be.

Thanks for the read, enjoy it mate. :niceone:

ital916
28th October 2009, 18:38
Haha you HOOON geoff! :2thumbsup

The bird def takes a bit of effort in the tight stuff. Man that striple looks SEXY! I see you have a pack rack on it already! So it is all set for the long hauls!

So...does it wheelie well :whistle:;)

You gonna put a fairing/screen on it?

IdunBrokdItAgin
28th October 2009, 18:52
I picked up my street triple today as well. Although not brand spanking new it is only 11 months old and has less than 2000kms on the clock.

I'm coming from the opposite end of experience than yourself - mine is a step up from a 250 hornet.

I can totally agree with you on the amazing ease which you can jump on and ride this bike. The seat height is slightly higher than I'm used to but other than that everything felt intuitive about the bike.

What attracted me to the street triple is the weight versus power. It is roughly the same weight as the hornet with 2.5 times the power. I was also amazed at the balance of the bike. It seems to be perfectly centred (great for low speed straight line - traffic crawling). The weight also means that it is as maneuverable as a 250 through the corners. Engine is great and torquey, hardly needed to get above 3rd gear on a spirited ride around makara.

The other thing is the engine note. At tickover it has a whirry clockwork like sound. When moving (upto 5k rpm) it has a pretty normal sound (a bit like a quiet v twin). But go over 6k rpm and it positively howls. I've only taken it up to about 9k rpm on my first day (limiter is 13) and that was only once and very briefly.

I can definitely see why the bike has got all of the rave reviews when it was released.

Mine isn't snatchy at all. I have heard that they can be though and that the throttle slack can be adjusted to remove this trait.

Happy riding!

Couple of pics of mine:

Chisanga
28th October 2009, 18:59
Congrats on an awesome bike purchase guys :)

Blackbird
28th October 2009, 19:02
So...does it wheelie well :whistle:;)

You gonna put a fairing/screen on it?

Hey Dushy
a. Wait until the weekend:whistle:
b. I imagine it will have a screen (ahem, to hide the radar detector) but there's a nice Italian screen I like more than the Triumph one

Mine isn't snatchy at all. I have heard that they can be though and that the throttle slack can be adjusted to remove this trait.

Thanks for the heads-up. There's no appreciable play in the cable. It might simply be that the bottom end fuelling isn't as good as the Honda and maybe magnified by the lighter weight.

Ronin
28th October 2009, 19:04

Yup, that's merv :whistle:

MD
28th October 2009, 19:07

Happy riding!

Couple of pics of mine:

Well done both of you.
Yes, check the throttle cable adjustment once run in. From new my 675 Daytona quickly developed some slack in the throttle cables , but this was adjusted on the first 1000km service which made a noticeable improvement. Never needed touching since and now up to 38,000km

AllanB
28th October 2009, 19:14
Nice nice rides.

Nothing wrong with 675 cc (unless you are ACC .....) of triple fun :woohoo:

Now get on line and organise some bar-end mirrors ......

short-circuit
28th October 2009, 21:04
Excellent news. I approve - you even got the correct colour!

Join the Striplers group...and remember to zero your top speed reading before you go back for 1st service (anything above 200 kmph gives them grounds to invalidate your warranty) :whistle:

Hitcher
28th October 2009, 21:46
There's no crime in owning a great handling, naked, mid-size bike. I suggest that many bikers are riding too much bike at the expense of the Fun Factor.

newbould
28th October 2009, 21:58
[QUOTE=jrandom;1129484102]Great girl's bike, the Striple. I know someone who'll be upgrading to one from a Scorpio soon.
Not me! Too much of a jump in HP for my liking. I have limited right wrist restraint.

sinned
29th October 2009, 06:21
Excellent news. I approve - you even got the correct colour!

Join the Striplers group...and remember to zero your top speed reading before you go back for 1st service (anything above 200 kmph gives them grounds to invalidate your warranty) :whistle:
Really? The bike I bought had been full face before 350kms and the dealer was responsible for that - a well bedded in motor.

davebullet
29th October 2009, 08:19
Too much of a jump in HP for my liking. I have limited right wrist restraint.

That's because you ride a bike where you need to give it herbs to make it move. Step up to a larger (torque'er) bike, and you'll find you're only using small twists of the wrist.

Mully
29th October 2009, 08:24
Great girl's bike, the Striple. I know someone who'll be upgrading to one from a Scorpio soon.

Are you going to take this, Blackbird??

Hit him with your handbag.....

Swoop
29th October 2009, 11:28
Very nice indeed!

You have "the list" of future modifications all drawn up yet?:2thumbsup

Edbear
29th October 2009, 14:00

Goodonyermate! Many happy miles on it!

Blackbird
29th October 2009, 14:36
Join the Striplers group...

Don't think so Iain, will be too busy trying to stop my riding partners from rubbing my nose in it:whistle:

Are you going to take this, Blackbird??

Hit him with your handbag.....

Look, he's a Suzuki owner and Darwin has plans for him... You had your chance to become a Blackbird owner but let a mere trifle (well, wedding cake actually) stop you from proceeding:hug:

short-circuit
29th October 2009, 15:04
Don't think so Iain, will be too busy trying to stop my riding partners from rubbing my nose in it

Be proud man - you're new baby is a prodigy...they are just jealous

Blackbird
29th October 2009, 15:18
Be proud man - you're new baby is a prodigy...they are just jealous

Oh, it's going to be poacher turned gamekeeper on the Loop - sticking it to a bunch of Blackbirds:whistle:

Mully
29th October 2009, 19:51
Look, he's a Suzuki owner and Darwin has plans for him... You had your chance to become a Blackbird owner but let a mere trifle (well, wedding cake actually) stop you from proceeding:hug:

Oh yeah. Thanks for reminding me.

:crybaby:

2wheeldrifter
30th October 2009, 21:19
Cool to hear Geoff :Punk: , guess you will be out taming those nasty twisty roads around your way... damn what a job!! :laugh:

2wheeldrifter
30th October 2009, 21:21
There's no crime in owning a great handling, naked, mid-size bike. I suggest that many bikers are riding too much bike at the expense of the Fun Factor.

So true Hitcher! :niceone:

Headbanger
30th October 2009, 21:53
Great read, Anyone got any insight as to how the 1050 compares to the 675?

Cash is burning a hole in my pocket, I'm near ready to give my bike away so I can get something newish,shiny and black....

2wheeldrifter
31st October 2009, 05:30
The 675 lacks a motor.... take one out for a ride and you will be hitting the rev limiter in every gear all the time. It just feels like you have to push it all the time to get it to do anything. It's a high revin motor.

It will leave you wanting! imo

short-circuit
31st October 2009, 06:30
The 675 lacks a motor.... take one out for a ride and you will be hitting the rev limiter in every gear all the time. It just feels like you have to push it all the time to get it to do anything. It's a high revin motor.

It will leave you wanting! imo

Coming off of your v twin, my guess is that you probably not used to (and didn't utilise) the linear power delivery of the triple (which does not die away at higher revs in the way that a twin does).

The 675 higher revving mid displacement motor has completely different characteristics to the 1050. Those that know something about Triumphs, those who have reviewed, and those who have first hand experience all have opinions that differ greatly from yours. The 675 inline triple does not perform like a typical 600 cc inline four - if it did I would not own one. I had the option of the Speed 1050 and stayed with the 675 (partly for the nimbleness) but also because the 675 engine was more engaging.

Wheelies in third gear, 1/4 mile in the 11s, and 0-100 kmph in 3.34 seconds is hardly a motor that lacks. Combine it with the diminutive 167 kg dry weight and a world class chassis and the result is....well ask Blackbird.

Blackbird
31st October 2009, 06:58
Hmmm... bit early in the piece for a definitive judgement as you both (2WD and SC) have valid points. Although I'm being judicious during break-in, the torque seems almost linear and with its light weight at just over 160 kg, I'm delighted with the acceleration.

With respect to being a bit revvy, well it certainly is compared with the Blackbird. At 6000 rpm in top, the Striple is doing ~110 km/hr whereas the 'bird was doing 160 km/hr! If I was touring the south island at my normal long distance pace, I'm not sure whether I'd want the Striple revving at (say) 8000rpm + for long periods although the mean piston speed is probably no greater than the 'bird with its longer stroke.

However, having gone to Whitianga and back yesterday morning on a shopping trip, I have no doubt that I'm faster through the twisties than I would have been on the 'bird. It's all a question of fitness for purpose and as I'm blessed with living on the Coro Loop, the Striple "fitness" is spot on for maybe 95% of my riding :innocent:

Gareth51
31st October 2009, 07:35
Well done both of you.
Yes, check the throttle cable adjustment once run in. From new my 675 Daytona quickly developed some slack in the throttle cables , but this was adjusted on the first 1000km service which made a noticeable improvement. Never needed touching since and now up to 38,000km

I must check that, might stop me from accidentally pulling wheelies especially out of corners :woohoo::Oops:

Gareth51
31st October 2009, 08:01
As a born again after 40 years I brought the Bonnie,kinda like I rode back in the sixties and thought my up grade would be something like the new Thunderbird.
I had only sat on a Triple a couple of times in the bike shop but never ridden one then out of impulse I brought one of the Internet thinking that if I didn't like it I could always sell it.But as what has already been said on here it's one hell of a bike,makes you feel like (and behave) like a teenager again :yes::woohoo:

Blackbird
31st October 2009, 08:53
.....makes you feel like (and behave) like a teenager again :yes::woohoo:

Couldn't agree more:rockon:. Y'know, when I had the Blackbird, hardly a ride would go by when I wasn't pulling "go to jail" speeds, albeit momentarily because it was all too easy on a bike like that. Although I've only had the Striple since Wednesday and am running it in, I don't actually miss the hyper-velocities because of its other fun characteristics that the Blackbird lacked. That's not saying either is better or worse than the other, just different.

I wasn't disdainful about smaller bikes at all, but having owned big 'uns for the last couple of decades, I certainly had lost sight of how much fun smaller, more nimble ones are. Which is exactly what Hitcher and you are getting at.

All I can say is that it's great that there is such a fantastic range of bikes to choose from.

Addendum: Something else pertinent which I might add. When we hosted the 2 KB'ers who rode the Honda 100 up from Christchurch, I rode shotgun on the 'bird with them round the Coro Peninsula at dizzying speeds up 90 km/hr! I remember telling them that whilst on that ride, I actually saw things round the Peninsula that I'd never noticed in previous years! Maybe a Striple might help with that on the odd occasion too!

2wheeldrifter
2nd November 2009, 09:13
Coming off of your v twin, my guess is that you probably not used to (and didn't utilise) the linear power delivery of the triple (which does not die away at higher revs in the way that a twin does).

The 675 higher revving mid displacement motor has completely different characteristics to the 1050. Those that know something about Triumphs, those who have reviewed, and those who have first hand experience all have opinions that differ greatly from yours. The 675 inline triple does not perform like a typical 600 cc inline four - if it did I would not own one. I had the option of the Speed 1050 and stayed with the 675 (partly for the nimbleness) but also because the 675 engine was more engaging.

Wheelies in third gear, 1/4 mile in the 11s, and 0-100 kmph in 3.34 seconds is hardly a motor that lacks. Combine it with the diminutive 167 kg dry weight and a world class chassis and the result is....well ask Blackbird.

Maybe I didn't use the "linear power" of the 675,yes am use to V-twins, but riding it left me disappointed after 120km's ride around the BOP, chassis great.. but motor just wasn't there!!?? ride the 1050...do the same roads.. it's got the chassis and A motor to go with it... after riding both can't see why someone would go with the 675 if your forking out close to the same dollers and your looking for all round performance the 1050 is the go on those two points alone.
Otherwise dude personal feel and reasons are just to long and variable. I think if you rode both bikes on the same road, most rider's what say 1050 sweet, but the 675 hmmmmm good but your left scratching your chin..............
Have riden the 1050 for many miles as a friend has one... it's a super bike don't doubt that at all.

Someone like me who know's nothing about Triumphs or have first hand experience??? Have riden both and found the 675 street and was left wanting! My opinon just like yours dude :sunny:

Cheers Bro! :wari:

Maybe I could have explained my reasons why I thought that better :yes:

IdunBrokdItAgin
2nd November 2009, 11:24
Well after a week of owning a street triple I can say that I have definately made the right choice.

Oodles of power for my liking, bearing in mind that I have mainly been riding it round Makara (lots of twisties - hardly any straights). Haven't found it laking on the corners at all and still not really getting up the rev range too far as it is nice and torquey.

Finding that the bike is pretty forgiving and very light. It doesn't feel flighty just very solid and manouverable. Very confidence inspiring in the corners.

In regards to the comparisons between the street and the speed - they are really two different bikes to me.
Haven't riden a Speed myself so I don't know - Street is all about the corners, if you are going to be doing highway journeys all the time then it is the wrong bike for you (indeed a naked is most probably the wrong choice all together).
But the fact that a 675cc is even compared to a 1050cc tells you what you really need to know - that the street definately punches above its weight.

Better to compare the street to similar engine sized bikes. Most often compared to the ducatti 696 monster but it's closest rival seems to be the new 600 hornet.

For me the most interesting comparisons would be against race orientated bikes (Daytona, GSXR 600, R6 etc). I would say the buyers of Street triples are also looking at these types of bikes but not wanting the "racing" rider position.

Blackbird
2nd November 2009, 12:02
I think 2WD was spot on when he says that everyone has different tastes (could add different end uses too) and that's exactly how it should be.

I'm actually surprised how easily I adapted from the Blackbird. I shot round to the Coroglen Tavern for a ride yesterday, didn't go over 110 km/hr and had a ball just going fast in the twisties. If I was going to do long distance riding on straighter roads as a fair percentage of my total riding, then the Striple would not be my first choice.

Having said that, my thoughts are turning towards doing the Grand Challenge again next year to make it number 5 and it will also mean that I'll have done it on 3 different bikes :niceone:

Fancy a crack at it Glen (2WD)and bring Rhys along :innocent:?

2wheeldrifter
2nd November 2009, 13:21
Yeah we be keen... it's around the same time every year aye? Gives us plenty of time to sort days off if needed.

cindymay
4th November 2009, 19:52
I have finally got a Street Triple. It is my Brisbane bike and I know I will love it. The roads are not as exciting as the Coro - but it is a great city and burbs bike. I will be back there soon to ride it more.

Blackbird
5th November 2009, 06:46
I have finally got a Street Triple. It is my Brisbane bike and I know I will love it. The roads are not as exciting as the Coro - but it is a great city and burbs bike. I will be back there soon to ride it more.

It's a sensational town and twisties bike and you'll love it. Can't comment about long hauls yet as they're a bit tedious what with running in:shutup:.

Enjoy!!!

Dave Lobster
5th November 2009, 12:53
Have riden the 1050 for many miles as a friend has one... it's a super bike don't doubt that at all.
:

Worth the extra cash for the SSSA alone :)

Gubb
5th November 2009, 13:14

:msn-wink:

...I've been called worse.

Hinny
5th November 2009, 16:18
Wheelies in third gear, 1/4 mile in the 11s, and 0-100 kmph in 3.34 seconds ,,,

Where did you get those figures from?
Lala land?

Blackbird
5th November 2009, 16:31
Lala land?

I've seen several road tests with quarter miles in the high 11's and a top speed of just under 230 km/hr. The 675 Daytona has a higher top speed but less midrange.

short-circuit
5th November 2009, 20:22
Lala land?

Quarter mile / acceleration: 11.93

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikereviews/searchresults/Bike-Reviews/Triumph/Triumph-Street-Triple/

Fractionally out here but close enough I would have thought: 0-60 Miles per hour in 3.36:

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2009AugStrtTrplR.pdf

I've seen better figures elsewhere but I won't quibble about hundredths of a second.

As for wheelies in third - short of a test ride, you'll just have to take my word on that one.

jrandom
6th November 2009, 06:03
Lala land?

Those numbers sound entirely reasonable.

short-circuit
6th November 2009, 06:26
http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/triumph-street-triple.htm :2thumbsup

davebullet
6th November 2009, 06:52
I'mn guessing 100kph only requires 1 gear change? If the power delivery is as linear as mentioned, then even with a gear change 3 and a 1/3rd seems reasonable

IdunBrokdItAgin
6th November 2009, 08:56
There's a couple of vids on youtube with high top speeds (I think I saw one go upto 252 on the speedo but there are always inaccuracies at that level), and at least one showing a rider/ instument view of the acceleration with pops ups showing the times as they are passed.

Just type in street triple on youtube and you'll find them.

Here is a link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBacM78FRsI

Dodgy music but otherwise quite a good clip.

Berg
11th December 2010, 07:08
I didn't think I could happily buy a St Triple but the more you lot rave about them, the more I realise I have to go ride one. Was thinking of a Z750 or Z1000 but the striple is beginning to sound good too. What made it worse is Mrs Berg sat on one last weekend and the look on her face said "I want one".
What are they like with the standard screen and has anybody tried one with a Givi screen?

Blackbird
11th December 2010, 08:41
Too big a screen will spoil its looks IMHO but I have a Barracuda screen and it works surprisingly well. If you're interested in a longer term local owner review, have a look at this: http://geoffjames.blogspot.com/2010/08/triumph-street-triple-review-revisited.html.

Its only weakness is a a 2-up tourer but heck, that's not its purpose so if that's one of your major criteria, look for something more appropriate.

Owned mine for 14 months and still love it to bits.

NZsarge
11th December 2010, 11:19
I didn't think I could happily buy a St Triple but the more you lot rave about them, the more I realise I have to go ride one. Was thinking of a Z750 or Z1000 but the striple is beginning to sound good too. What made it worse is Mrs Berg sat on one last weekend and the look on her face said "I want one".
What are they like with the standard screen and has anybody tried one with a Givi screen?

Just a cautionary note before you make up your mind, I'm not trying to put you off Triumph's mate, got some mates with them and they all seem to be good bikes. The only thing I have in the back of my mind about the is parts are stupid stupid expensive! Hey you may never have the need but just be aware that's all. A mate binned his a while back and I saw the price quote for the parts and honestly it was insane!
I know, no bikes are cheap to fix/repair but Triumph's seem to be outstandingly expensive, there will always be exceptions to the rule with some parts but generally...

Monkeynz
11th December 2010, 11:36
Hi all, I am selling my Street Triple with much regret. I have absolutely loved this bike, especially since I had the Arrow 3 into 1 exhaust system, WOW what a sound. Selling to fund racing 2 bikes and a young son.
Contact me if you're keen. This is a great price.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=318736472

Monkey

Edbear
11th December 2010, 18:09
Hi all, I am selling my Street Triple with much regret. I have absolutely loved this bike, especially since I had the Arrow 3 into 1 exhaust system, WOW what a sound. Selling to fund racing 2 bikes and a young son.
Contact me if you're keen. This is a great price.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=318736472

Monkey

You're racing your young son...? :blink:

Monkeynz
11th December 2010, 19:59
You're racing your young son...? :blink:

Yea lol, he's nearly faster than me which is pretty amazing considering he's 19mths old.
Thought it read a bit funny but decided to leave it. :woohoo: