PDA

View Full Version : New surveillance laws

Bounce001
29th October 2009, 08:21
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere but has anyone seen this article:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10604944

While the government are waving their ACC red flag with the right hand, look at what they are doing with their left.

The basics in the bill are copied below

WHAT'S IN THE BILL

THE POWERS:

Video surveillance, watching private activity on private property, installing tracking devices, detaining people during a search, power to stop vehicles without a warrant for a search, warrantless seizure of "items in plain view", power to hack into computers remotely, power to detain anyone at scene of search.

WHO WILL GET THEM:

Every agency with enforcement responsibilities, such as: Inland Revenue, Meat Board, local councils, Overseas Investment Office, Accident Compensation Corporation, Environment Risk Management Authority, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Pork Industry Board.

This is really scary. Privacy? What privacy?

vgcspares
29th October 2009, 08:57
Not being a target for any Jihad and having no internal security issues like the UK's periodic Irish ones it's hard to believe that there is any justification at all - weird, I came to this country on the simple premis that this sort of thing wouldn't happen here

vifferman
29th October 2009, 09:01
You've missed the other new thing (proposal, or is it already enacted?). The right for the police to take DNA samples of anyone, if they intend to charge them with a criminal offence. Note that person doesn't actually have to be charged or convicted.
We should all have our unique DNA copyrighted.

Spyke
29th October 2009, 09:08
Ohwell the good old mentallity will kick in now. If you don't want this legislation in what have you got to hide?

What have I got to hide? My private life, No doubt I'd do something wrong in my backyard then there'll be a letter in the post for indecent exposure to the camera man, shouldn't have been perving when I was skinny dipping.

CookMySock
29th October 2009, 09:13
This is really scary. Privacy? What privacy?If its on the Internet or on your computer and you want it private, then GO ENCRYPT IT RIGHT NOW.

Steve

Bounce001
29th October 2009, 09:27
You've missed the other new thing (proposal, or is it already enacted?). The right for the police to take DNA samples of anyone, if they intend to charge them with a criminal offence. Note that person doesn't actually have to be charged or convicted.
We should all have our unique DNA copyrighted.

This is also scary. You don't even need to be convicted, only if they intend to charge you.

If you were born after 1968 your DNA is already kept on file but the police are not allowed to access it (yet).

TuonoTom
29th October 2009, 16:39
This is also scary. You don't even need to be convicted, only if they intend to charge you.

If you were born after 1968 your DNA is already kept on file but the police are not allowed to access it (yet).

Really? Weird.

AllanB
29th October 2009, 19:11
If its on the Internet or on your computer and you want it private, then GO ENCRYPT IT RIGHT NOW.

Steve

I hope to travel there one day and see the pyramids, by all accounts they are quite impressive.

Sidewinder
29th October 2009, 19:17
they can watch me wank and ill cum on the lense

Molly
29th October 2009, 19:42
They don't have the resources to make use of this legislation (I know one senior cop who had to buy his own computer).

That's not to say they should have free reign but there are plenty of scumbags out there to keep the cops busy.

pete376403
29th October 2009, 20:06
Really? Weird.The Guthrie test, performed on every newborn baby. The pleece have to have (well, used to) very compelling reasons to get access to that DNA. Now I guess they will just take it under the new powers granted.
http://www.privacy.org.nz/guthrie-heel-prick-report-media-release/