PDA

View Full Version : Rd 400

Deemster
29th October 2009, 17:22
I have a low milage RD 400 that sized 20 years ago so the then owner poured oil down the bores, put it in a shed and did nothing with it.
I brought it from him a few months ago and that oil has turned into tar so I will need to get the crank split, new bearings and seals and reassembled.
It will also need first oversize pistons.
Ok, the question is where is a good place to start? and does NZ have a RD guru

george formby
29th October 2009, 17:54
I have a low milage RD 400 that sized 20 years ago so the then owner poured oil down the bores, put it in a shed and did nothing with it.
I brought it from him a few months ago and that oil has turned into tar so I will need to get the crank split, new bearings and seals and reassembled.

I can't help with your questions but I still vividly remember my old man spitting me off the back of his RD400 when I was a kid. Best of luck with it.

Crasherfromwayback
29th October 2009, 17:59

Mate...nothing tricky about rebuilding an RD400 crankshaft. Anyone with any two stroke backround will be able to help you out...and if you can't get help up your way...send it down here!

Pete

speedpro
29th October 2009, 19:39
There are different quality jobs done. I trust Pete Sales of Total Motorcycles to always do a perfect job. Down Palmerston North way. Well worth the trouble of shipping it down.

malcy25
30th October 2009, 11:28
www.mdlracing.co.nz is all you need to know. Murray did his apprenticehip on RD's, knows them inside out.

In in Hamilton, so plenty close enough to Auckland.

Deemster
30th October 2009, 16:50
Cheers, I am sure there are plenty of shops that could do the work. But I have learnt that you need to find people that are enthustic about your project,
People that have a soft spot for them, and want to see you suceed are always better value than the guy that just wants the work.

RDjase
30th October 2009, 17:33
Theres a few links to parts suppliers here, the post was about LCs but the shops sell air cooled parts as well

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=108359

They had air cooled RDs in the UK and US so parts are easy to get
A bit harder for my LC as they wernt released in the US
(and the poms had RDs only and called all RZs RD YPVS)

Pete sales is the man for two strokes and post classic bike work

Have fun with your new bike