PDA

View Full Version : Blocked radiator? Just want to double check

Cynos
29th October 2009, 18:51
I'm a bit of a mechanical fool, so I just want to double check my thinking. My bike just overheated, right hand side of the radiator was too hot to touch, left hand side of the radiator was cold.

Water flow is like so....

base of engine outlet -> radiator -> impeller -> thermostat -> head inlet

So the right hand side of the radiator has water coming in from the engine.

I had a look at the impeller and thermostat not too long ago, and both are in fine fettle, and I figure that even if there was a failure in either of those, or a blockage elsewhere, the heat distribution across the radiator would be more even if it had a decent flow.

So, if I haven't made a mistake, and it is a blocked radiator, what are the chances of clearing it myself? If I can't, can I get it done by a professional?

Parts for my bike are harder to come by than honest politicians, and often cost as much, so I'd really like to not have to replace it. >_<

Cheers in advance.

Cynos
29th October 2009, 21:21
Okay, I think it's PEBKAC. Coolant level was very low, like, ludicrously low. My wife dropped my bike in our dirt-floored garage the other day, to the right, which is the side the pipe from the radiator cap to the coolant reserve is on, and also the overflow, so it's entirely probable that it leaked out into the dirt and I didn't notice it in the dark when I picked it back up.

Anyway, I ran water from a hose through all aspects of the system, no obvious blockages (or they washed out). Refilled it, ran it, heat was distributed evenly across the radiator... o_O

kwaka_crasher
30th October 2009, 16:16
Water flow is like so....

base of engine outlet -> radiator -> impeller -> thermostat -> head inlet

Just remember the hot coolant enters the radiator through the highest hose and the cooled coolant exits at the lowest.

Anyway, I ran water from a hose through all aspects of the system, no obvious blockages (or they washed out). Refilled it, ran it, heat was distributed evenly across the radiator... o_O

I hope you've replaced the lost coolant in the correct ratio not just topped it up with water.