PDA

View Full Version : Robbie Deans sang the Aussie national anthem

XRVrider
31st October 2009, 23:15
No big deal I spose, he does coach them and perhaps should show the depth of his commitment to the Aussie public. Still, did look a little odd, an ex all black great singing along to the old foe's anthem.

On the other hand, how many AB's were singing the maori version of our english written anthem. Ahem, feck all.... but they did seem to join in when it came to the traditional english one, except for a few that come from the islands, they didnt sing at all. Spose that is understandable, but some might say that if Robbie sings for Aussie, shouldn't all AB's sing for NZ?

Last question before the shit comes down, how many other countries are singing 2 different language versions of the same anthem? (so in effect singing it twice) Anyone know why we do this?

nallac
31st October 2009, 23:47
last question before the shit comes down, how many other countries are singing 2 different language versions of the same anthem? (so in effect singing it twice) anyone know why we do this?

pc............................

LBD
1st November 2009, 01:45
I noticed the lack of All Black participation in singing either or both versions of our anthem during the trinations...after watching all the springboks heartily singing both versions of theirs....made me feel a little ashamed..the patriot I am.

Oakie
1st November 2009, 07:47
Last question before the shit comes down, how many other countries are singing 2 different language versions of the same anthem? (so in effect singing it twice) Anyone know why we do this?

South African anthem uses five languages I believe!
Oh yeah ... we have three official languages, hence the multiple languages sung in. Just be thankful they don't also do a verse in the 3rd official language ... NZ Sign Language. Might be good for a chuckle though. (No dis-respect to anyone who uses it).

StoneY
1st November 2009, 07:51
Still, did look a little odd, an ex all black great singing along to the old foe's anthem.

A what?
Mate, he warmed a seat on the bench most his plying career, dont title the man a 'great' when he simply wore the jersey

I mean fuck sake Buck Shelford, Jock Hobbs, John Kirwin, Tana Umaga...see my point?
Quite frankly, I was fucking pissed off he went to OZ and we kept the current regime...but looking at the Aussie's performance this year....close escape TBH

Oakie
1st November 2009, 07:55
Still, did look a little odd, an ex all black great

5 tests in a 2 year A.B. career.

idleidolidyll
1st November 2009, 08:55
Nobody in our secular nation should be expected to sing a song asking a fictitious god to save them.
The anthem is bullshit and does not represent New Zealand

rainman
1st November 2009, 09:08
pc............................

Hardly. See Oakie's comment just below.

South African anthem uses five languages I believe!
Oh yeah ... we have three official languages, hence the multiple languages sung in.

From Wikipedia: "The lyrics employ the five most populous of South Africa's eleven official languages - Xhosa (first stanza, first two lines), Zulu (first stanza, last two lines), Sesotho (second stanza), English (bridge), Afrikaans (third stanza) and English (final stanza)."

rainman
1st November 2009, 09:10
Nobody in our secular nation should be expected to sing a song asking a fictitious god to save them.
The anthem is bullshit and does not represent New Zealand

And get rid of the queen while you're at it...

idleidolidyll
1st November 2009, 09:24
damn straight but we don't need a president if we do; that's just more right wing bullshit

god defend New Zealand: religious propaganda with little credibility in todays NZ
god save the queen: why? god is a myth and the royal family are the ultimate arrogant right wing model

nothingflash
1st November 2009, 09:27
And get rid of the queen while you're at it...

Yep, but we should ask someone to look out for us from the shafts of strife but especially war - given the state of our armed forces :bash:

caseye
1st November 2009, 09:48
Ideli for Pressy or Queenie, queenie wood be better, he sits side saddle anyways.Leave dear old Ma'm out this ya bum.
Deans has not got it together yet, if he ever does look out, Cantertanks was not a mirage they won everything for ever.

idleidolidyll
1st November 2009, 09:54
save NZ? who would that be?

the USA? Hilarious! The Yanks only act on their own interests and the Pommes ditto.

nobody is gonna come running unless we offer them our souls or our sovereignty

XRVrider
1st November 2009, 09:54
A what?
Mate, he warmed a seat on the bench most his plying career, dont title the man a 'great' when he simply wore the jersey

I mean fuck sake Buck Shelford, Jock Hobbs, John Kirwin, Tana Umaga...see my point?
Quite frankly, I was fucking pissed off he went to OZ and we kept the current regime...but looking at the Aussie's performance this year....close escape TBH

Shit sorry, after all the exposure he got with Canterbury back in the day, and I remember him in an all black jersey, thought of him too highly it seems. Still he was an All Black and sings for Aussie. Its only an anthem I spose, but its for all to see.

Aussies have about 3 other sports that are probably more played than union. They'll be back, Robbie was a great coach of Canterbury, but someone else seems to be doing a pretty darn good job, think its the really good player pool though.

South Africa has a way different history than NZ, and as far as I know what they sing doesnt repeat itself like ours has been changed to do. Odd singing your national anthem twice. I feel this very public representation of your country only shows separation when you show you have 2 languages forcing you to sing it twice, and not an intertwined anthem like SA. Im not being racist, but a united anthem would be better, especially when the whole world watches NZ hardly sing the Maori version. I reckon we should drop the Maori version, and whack some Chinese words in there. Ha ha.

allycatz
1st November 2009, 10:12
Always irks me to see South Africa proudly standing tall in Canterbury Brand jerseys and own own fekkin team wears imports

Big Dave
1st November 2009, 16:41
He was probably the only one who could remember the lyrics to the Australian National Anthem.

Girt....sea....rejoice la la la la la la is about all the rest of us know.

Headbanger
1st November 2009, 16:53
Aussies suck at firing coaches.

Mully
1st November 2009, 17:30
He was probably the only one who could remember the lyrics to the Australian National Anthem.

Girt....sea....rejoice la la la la la la is about all the rest of us know.

Isn't it about ringing someone named Joyce??

"Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free"

Big Dave
1st November 2009, 18:06
"Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free"

Better than the real deal - I just googled it.

Verse 2.

For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share,
With courage let us all combine
To advance Australia fair.

The small print or largely unknown Verse 3 must have the conditions about that not applying if you are arriving from Asia in a small boat.

Maha
1st November 2009, 18:12
Still, did look a little odd, an ex all black great singing along to the old foe's anthem.

This is the only part the disturbs me, never was he an All Black Great...
He had a about as much success as his half back brother but was kept out of team mainly by that real All Black Great Alan Hewson....:rockon:

slowpoke
1st November 2009, 22:30
This is the only part the disturbs me, never was he an All Black Great...
He had a about as much success as his half back brother but was kept out of team mainly by that real All Black Great Alan Hewson....:rockon:

Echoes of yesteryear: I recall a similar Deans/Hewson selection controversy back then as the Deans/Henry drama's of late.

XRVrider
2nd November 2009, 07:12
Ha ha, this is a good one, Alan Hewson did play a lot of games, and the scrawny Magnum PI tache man did kick some goals, but surely he cant be called great. Anyway I have taken back the fact Robbie Deans was a great All Black, cos he wasnt but we are off topic, its the Anthem thing Im on about. Love KB cos what starts out as one thing, easily and readily morph's into another topic willy nilly. Ah its all good fun :niceone:

Headbanger
2nd November 2009, 07:35
I personally don't see the singing of the anthem as any big drama, he has already switched his allegiance to the Skippy side of the ditch. He's not winning any games so he had better be sucking up to them somehow.

That said, Both anthems are complete and utter shit.

MIXONE
2nd November 2009, 07:44
Always irks me to see South Africa proudly standing tall in Canterbury Brand jerseys and own own fekkin team wears imports

Yep I agree with you here.
It's all about the almighty $ now.

wysper
2nd November 2009, 07:51

A little off topic I guess, but the Maori version is actually different to the English version, so in a way they aren't singing it twice. It is a different song to the same tune.

XRVrider
2nd November 2009, 08:19
A little off topic I guess, but the Maori version is actually different to the English version, so in a way they aren't singing it twice. It is a different song to the same tune.

Oh right, didnt know that. Been overseas for a good while and came home to this change and a song I didnt know. Just wondered why the change really. Messing with a national anthem (love them or hate them) is interesting, bit like a sort of affirmative action, give the minority a voice cos its all pc and that crap. Well thats how it looks, many may disagree. Cant says as I love it, but spose we didnt have a choice in our national (fecking old) song anyway.

avgas
2nd November 2009, 08:36
They don't get paid to sing - they get paid to lose.
When they don't perform, we fire them and import some new ones.

Who gives a fuck who sings what song - its the NZ economy that fails every time an all black plays. If they were really there for the nation, they would do it almost for free - I know I would.

100's of Kiwi's compete at a high level (whether its sports or otherwise) to represent NZ, and never ask for a dime in return. Yeah we are suppose to shed a tear to the "days of our lives" in the NZRU.
Fuck off - I have better things to do with my time.

And don't give me that bullshit - "If we don't pay some other country will steal them". If they were really representing the country that also wouldn't matter a dime. Sarah Ulmer is case and point.....among 100's more.

Skyryder
2nd November 2009, 12:26
When I first went to school we sang God Save the King every morning with the raising of the flag.

Then he died....................so I don't have much faith in God if he can not keep the King alive................That's what I thought................still do in much the same manner.

Never did learn God Defend New Zealand. He 'ain't' gonna do it any more than he saved the King

Still got the faith in Robbie though:yes:

Skyryder

jaymzw
2nd November 2009, 15:57
Still got the faith in Robbie though:yes:

Skyryder

Jesus Christ!

Don't you love your precious Labour Party too?:gob: