PDA

View Full Version : In search of a Flat White

FJRider
1st November 2009, 21:16
Life here in Paradise is pretty much ho hum at the weekends. :shutup: So I usually find an excuse to go somewhere :innocent: (as if Bikers need excuses ... right) ... So off I went in search of the perfect Flat White (not a Great White) Big Dave requested photo's of various roads ... the Glenorchy road was one those roads.... two birds with one stone (bike) eh ... :scooter:

My Album holds the rest of the pic's ... more will be put up later. :yes:

Here's a taste of the roads we have down here ... :wari: and the views ... :gob:

POOR US ... eh :crybaby:

Maha
1st November 2009, 21:26
We simply dont have that kind of scenery in the North island, it is sooooooooooo damn beautiful in the outer islands for sure...we must do a tour down that way sometime, its been a few years now since our last trip. Dunedin/Oamaru/Wanaka/Cromwell.

FJRider
1st November 2009, 22:19
A few more ... :woohoo: even our gas stations are senic .... :rockon:

Jantar
1st November 2009, 23:38
Life here in Paradise is pretty much ho hum at the weekends. :shutup: So I usually find an excuse to go somewhere :innocent: (as if Bikers need excuses ... right) ... So off I went in search of the perfect Flat White [SIZE="1....]
Hell Trev, you didn't have to go all the way to Glenorchy for the perfect flat white. I have it right here..... A Sav Blanc from the Carrick at Bannockburn. Its a white, and it doesn't sparkle, so must be flat. And as I've drunk a whole bottle tonight I can vouch for its perfection.

FJRider
1st November 2009, 23:45
Hell Trev, you didn't have to go all the way to Glenorchy for the perfect flat white. I have it right here..... A Sav Blanc from the Carrick at Bannockburn. Its a white, and it doesn't sparkle, so must be flat. And as I've drunk a whole bottle tonight I can vouch for its perfection.

Soooo ... you're working tonight then .... :innocent:

CookMySock
2nd November 2009, 09:57
Wow it looks pretty flat there dunnit. :lol:

My mates have coffee vans, and I often txt them on the weekends "wea ur vans today?" It's a great mission trying to find them, with a creamy and delicious reward when I get there, and nice coffee too! ;)

Steve

vifferman
2nd November 2009, 10:20
Bugger the scenery - didja find a perfect flat white? :confused:

BTW - it's not necessarily a good thing finding a great coffee. I had the best flat white ever, a few years ago at a bakery next to Queen Vic market in Melbourne. Since then, every coffee has been somewhat of a disappointment. The vifferbabe even went back a few months later to the same place and said the coffee wasn't the same.

hayd3n
2nd November 2009, 10:37
try thr redbrick say hi to my ol lady

FJRider
2nd November 2009, 16:51

Nah ... :crybaby:

But I may try the Haast Village and/or the junction next. :yes:

Fox .... Franz ... plenty of "options" to check out. :woohoo:

The destination ... not as important as the journey ... :rockon:

AllanB
2nd November 2009, 17:02
Nice pictures.
I often take the camera but I rarely actually take any images - too busy riding and usually on a bloody time frame. Hopefully over summer I'll have more leisure time in the seat and snap some good ones.

Make mine a nice strong long black - it helps with the ride home! :woohoo:

KiwiPhoenix
2nd November 2009, 17:13
Great photos!! All that way and you never got a decent coffee, ah well maybe next time you'll pop up here!

doc
2nd November 2009, 17:31
POOR US ... eh :crybaby:

Hotgrips workin OK ? :cold:

:sunny: We have 85 + UV stuff up here now.

FJRider
2nd November 2009, 17:41
Hotgrips workin OK ? :cold:

:sunny: We have 85 + UV stuff up here now.

It was 22 deg in Glenorchy ... muggy as hell. Cooled down a little later though.

Don't have hotgrips ... dont need em. Wear good gear and you never will need em ...

FJRider
2nd November 2009, 17:42
Great photos!! All that way and you never got a decent coffee, ah well maybe next time you'll pop up here!

meet ya halfway ... :lol:

JimO
2nd November 2009, 17:42
the only problem with the pics is somebody parked a bike in each one:woohoo:

FJRider
2nd November 2009, 18:22
the only problem with the pics is somebody parked a bike in each one:woohoo:

Play your own game of tag. Find the spots I took the photos, and take a pic with your bike in it ... :yes:

sorted ... :innocent:

FJRider
2nd November 2009, 18:26
Make mine a nice strong long black - it helps with the ride home! :woohoo:

I had a strong black once ... ride home .. ??? :innocent:

KiwiPhoenix
2nd November 2009, 19:10
meet ya halfway ... :lol:

How about the Magpie, should be going to that!!

FJRider
8th November 2009, 21:57
Winds nearing gale force were about on saturday (here in Central anyway), so the search for the perfect flat white continued today ... The destination was Jacksons bay. (If you don't know where it is ... Google it)

The pic's demonstrate what sort of roads we put up with ... down here in Central Otago ... paradise ...

Life is tough ... eh .. !!!

Sidewinder
8th November 2009, 21:57
i love my thremo mug for wildbean

FJRider
8th November 2009, 22:04
Then into the Haast pass area ...

More pic's tomorrow ...

crazyhorse
9th November 2009, 06:46
Oh wow Trev, lovely scenery - and the roads, really makes ya wanna jump on the bike and go for a tootle - oh buggar! work today, will just have to dream a little while later. Some of the roads up past Gisborne are like that - and the road other side of Taupo (which we're gonna do in 2 weekends time) is too - nice fast sweeping corners - you know the ones? never over 100 kn :whistle:

Sounds like a great day :)

FJRider
9th November 2009, 19:08
And from the Haast into Jacksons bay for coffee ...

FJRider
9th November 2009, 19:13
A few pic's of downtown Jacksons bay.

smoky
9th November 2009, 19:56
We simply dont have that kind of scenery in the North island....

Yeah - soo boring riding up here

smoky
9th November 2009, 19:59
No real scenery in the north

smoky
9th November 2009, 20:01
All taken on roads within a days ride from Hamilton

Maha
9th November 2009, 20:04
Yeah - soo boring riding up here

No real scenery in the north

I too have some wonderful pics of our travels around the North Island, but I still beleive the South Island has it over the North Island when it comes to taking you breath away...maybe its because its very different I dont know?

smoky
9th November 2009, 20:26
I love riding in either Island, scenery is different, the north is less effort getting between the scenery, South Island can be a bit of a haul from one spot to the next but rewarding - but really both are awesome

FJRider
9th November 2009, 20:38
All taken on roads within a days ride from Hamilton

Mine are all day rides from my place ... a tank of gas away.

They call it central otago for a reason... I have ridden most of the north island roads. But prefer the south island roads.

smoky
9th November 2009, 20:40
... I have ridden most of the north island roads. But prefer the south island roads.

You don't like cornering then?

FJRider
9th November 2009, 20:43
You don't like cornering then?

Look on google earth... the Wanaka Haast road and see ...

and notice how much traffic is seen in my pic's...

smoky
9th November 2009, 20:46
Look on google earth... the Wanaka Haast road and see ...

been there - last March
Just having a laugh, but you have to admit you need to do a bit more cornering when riding in the North Island

FJRider
9th November 2009, 20:49
been there - last March
Just having a laugh, but you have to admit you need to do a bit more cornering when riding in the North Island

Been there yesterday ... :lol:

all that cornering to avoid the campervans you mean ... ???

smoky
9th November 2009, 20:55
Been there yesterday ... :lol:

all that cornering to avoid the campervans you mean ... ???

Yeah there is that, but there's a hell of a lot more choice of alternative routes up here - I get off the main roads and ride the twister back roads with less traffic

JATZ
9th November 2009, 21:31
Sooo...... Is the coffee at Jacksons bay worth the trip ? I understand the fish 'n' chips are pretty good :yes:

FJRider
9th November 2009, 21:41
Sooo...... Is the coffee at Jacksons bay worth the trip ? I understand the fish 'n' chips are pretty good :yes:

The Coffee's good .. and yes, the fish is fresh ...

All in all ... well worth the trip in to get.

FJRider
14th November 2009, 19:28
It was not as hot here today, but I decided the search should for the perfect flat white should go on.\

But to where ... ???

South seemed to be an idea ... and with no actual destination in mind ... I was away.

The Beaumont pub for lunch ??? Locked doors put a stop on that idea. But I took the turn and headed down the river. (the Clutha to those that don't know the area) Got to Clydevale and turned right again. And onto highway one just south of Clinton. "A strong southerly" encouraged me to head north. Tail winds are always good. Traffic was light ... even for the big red one (highway one) plenty of bikes heading south...

The "Riveria of the south" came and went ... on to Clarksville, the up (through Manuka gully) to Lawrence for a coffee stop.

8 out of 10 for the coffee :sunny: ... same score for the waitress ... :innocent:

The photo's show the roads through to Clinton ...

FJRider
14th November 2009, 19:36
These shots show the Manuka gully .... well liked by any (most) motorcyclists that pass through it. The pipe work in the secondlast photo, in the old water supply for the steam trains ... the old rail line is on the edge of this part of the gorge.

Coldrider
14th November 2009, 20:30
Got a week between the Magpie & the Burt to find the elusive flat white in Central Otago myself. I've noticed, (due to the recession no doubt) the cafes don't even give a cinnimon teddy on the saucer anymore.

FJRider
15th November 2009, 09:46
I've noticed, (due to the recession no doubt) the cafes don't even give a cinnimon teddy on the saucer anymore.

mmmmmm ... I have noticed that ...

YellowDog
15th November 2009, 09:54

BTW - it's not necessarily a good thing finding a great coffee. I had the best flat white ever, a few years ago at a bakery next to Queen Vic market in Melbourne. Since then, every coffee has been somewhat of a disappointment. The vifferbabe even went back a few months later to the same place and said the coffee wasn't the same.
Same here. I use to have a girlfriend with a house in the bay of st. tropez.
Best coffee with a great kick to it all the time.

I now hate coffee and spend all my time trying to get a good one.

I hear it's something to do with the Kiwi water. Far too pure and clean to produce a good coffee.

junkmanjoe
15th November 2009, 19:48
Ill have to say,
the coffie cart in taupo just south of the fire station, lake side.

dam nice cupper, and very friendly lady as well....i had to have two..

ill call back there again.

Also a tidy smaller coffie cart in sanson, makes a mean flat white too..
also happy for a chat...

JMJ

vifferman
16th November 2009, 09:33
The destination ... not as important as the journey ... :rockon:
Hmmmm....
Yes and no.
I find a ride - enjoyable as it may be - kinda hollow and pointless unless I have either a purpose or a destination. Yesterday I went for the first ride in ages, to visit my sisters in Ararimu. The motorway bit was ho-hum, but I had a lot of fun from the ride from Drury to Hunua. So much so that I 'missed' the turnoff to my sister's house and went the long way round. It added about 15 to 20 minutes but was very rewarding. :niceone:

Oh - and the coffee was shit, but the fresh scones were great.