PDA

View Full Version : An observation

FROSTY
2nd November 2009, 09:51
I couldn't help but notice in all 3 TV news stories presented to the public the "face' of the motorcyclists were mainly the "bikie" looking guys. panned shots over what looks (to the untrained eye) to be gang patches -(they were actually Ullises and hog patches)and tough looking dudes. Big beards etc.
Given we are trying to apeal to the general public mightnt it be a good idea to engineer it so the less dangerous looking folk are the most visable and possibly the patches not visible.
I know myself as a biker that those guys are all good guys with hearts of gold
But the image is definitely one of nasty "bikie"
My thinking here is that bikers alone are unlikely to sway the gubbinment. But general public sympathy is
To get that sympathy or at least empathy they need to relate in a positive way

MSTRS
2nd November 2009, 10:06
Have you missed the fact that many of the organisers of the Bikeoi are mature, women-next-door types? Not to mention they are good looking, but not in a MissNZ sort of way. None of them could be mistaken for bikie molls. They are intelligent, well spoken, and have an inner beauty that shows and once this section of the protest gets underway, they will be there on the TV cameras doing the cause proud.

Maha
2nd November 2009, 10:07
Have you missed the fact that many of the organisers of the Bikeoi are mature, women-next-door types? Not to mention they are good looking, but not in a MissNZ sort of way. None of them could be mistaken for bikie molls. They are intelligent, well spoken, and have an inner beauty that shows and once this section of the protest gets underway, they will be there on the TV cameras doing the cause proud.

That sounds just like me........:innocent:

FROSTY
2nd November 2009, 10:12
Diddn't see em on TV mate. I saw "bikies" which fit with the angle the news teams seemed to be taking.

MSTRS
2nd November 2009, 10:17
What you saw on TV was the Ulysses 'effort'. How many females ride under their banner?
Our lot haven't been out there. YET.

Ixion
2nd November 2009, 10:20
What? You missed the cardy of Fair Isle goodiness?

Realistically, they are public events. Blokes (and chicks I guess) with big beards and patches will turn up .

And we can't force the TV people not to film them if they see them.

And, unfortunately, blokes (and chicks) with big beards and tatts and patches is what TV WANT to film.

FROSTY
2nd November 2009, 10:39
Ixion thats what i mean about engineering it. Rather than passively allowing them to do their thing arrange that as long as theyre filming .... ahh sod it you know what i mean...

Dealer
2nd November 2009, 10:49
And, unfortunately, blokes (and chicks) with big beards and tatts and patches is what TV WANT to film.

Not sure I want to see chicks with big beards on TV

MadDuck
2nd November 2009, 15:17
Not sure I want to see chicks with big beards on TV
:blink:
Not sure I want to see chicks with big beards in real life.....

Maha
2nd November 2009, 15:18

Did you have a good look around on Saturday?......:blink:

riffer
2nd November 2009, 16:00

sorry I read that as chicks with big something else entirely...

maybe that would help the cause. Certainly get us some attention.

Insanity_rules
2nd November 2009, 16:01
Did you have a good look around on Saturday?......:blink:

We had the lovely Sherie Flintov (forgive the spelling)in Welly. She was far from the bearded biker type!

SARGE
2nd November 2009, 16:23
What? You missed the cardy of Fair Isle goodiness?

Realistically, they are public events. Blokes (and chicks I guess) with big beards and patches will turn up .

And we can't force the TV people not to film them if they see them.

so do i leave my helmet on and grab the wife's scooter jacket?...

Motu
2nd November 2009, 17:26
I saw "bikies" which fit with the angle the news teams seemed to be taking.

And you would have seen the back of my head.One of the very few people I call my best friend was in the focus of the TV cameras (the guy with the purple beard).He's been riding bikes for a lot longer than you,so I don't see how you can criticize his support.And yes,I would call him dangerous to those in the focus of his wrath.....and he's a Westie too.....

FROSTY
2nd November 2009, 20:27
And you would have seen the back of my head.One of the very few people I call my best friend was in the focus of the TV cameras (the guy with the purple beard).He's been riding bikes for a lot longer than you,so I don't see how you can criticize his support.And yes,I would call him dangerous to those in the focus of his wrath.....and he's a Westie too.....
I think you are totally missing my point ol son--His support --unquestioning. His visually fitting the public steriotype of a "nasty bikie" sorry dude also true.
The need to win support outside of biker circles i feel is really important.
a visual impression of a bunch of normal kiwi blokes n gals would catch their eye more. --But then its NOT what the gubbinment funded channels want the public to see i guess

crazyhorse
2nd November 2009, 20:37
They were probably mostly harley riders - that fits their stereotype :lol:

Motu
2nd November 2009, 20:38
Um...??...?? So you want bikers to be completely normal looking people? Just like you I suppose? Sorry,getting a non comformist segment of society to conform is not going to happen.Wear a suit and tie if you like....but the public won't identify you with motorcycles.

Ixion
2nd November 2009, 20:41
Why purple? Is it always purple? Or does he sometimes go green, or blue? Stripes? Stripes would be cool. Could you dye a beard so it was a giant tatt ?

You never see those guys nowadays with beards cut into shapes.

Motu
2nd November 2009, 21:29
I think there may have been a green for St Patricks Day...he always gives me a ring on St Pats Day.But if you buy purple hair dye for your beard,it's gunna be a few years before you use it all up....so best to like purple then.

For the people who don't like the medias perception of bikers - you need to go out and change that perception.It's up to you - there's your challenge Frosty...are you up to it?

Voltaire
3rd November 2009, 06:36
Um...??...?? So you want bikers to be completely normal looking people? Just like you I suppose? Sorry,getting a non comformist segment of society to conform is not going to happen.Wear a suit and tie if you like....but the public won't identify you with motorcycles.

Part of the attraction of motorcycling in that motorcyclists are not like everybody else.
Frankly the media are just another corporation interested in advertising dollars, who cares what they think
They are only after MONEY, nothing else.
Nazi helmets, leather, Harleys are what these guys are after, they could not give a toss about the issues.
You see these parasites interviewing people who have lost family in tragic circumstances and I've even noticed at trend for them to film at funerals.
Same with talkback radio....wankers like Leighton Smith spouting drivel.

They should not allow TV1 and TV3 to attend any more meetings as they are not out friends.
rant over.

FROSTY
3rd November 2009, 09:03
For the people who don't like the medias perception of bikers - you need to go out and change that perception.It's up to you - there's your challenge Frosty...are you up to it?
Shit mate I've been doing it for the last 10 or so years.

Motu
3rd November 2009, 18:10
I think it's really a generational thing Frosty - the steriotypes you are seeing either did ride bikes in the '60's and '70's...or wanted to,so pretend they did.In another 20 years the young guys on GSXR600's wearing race rep leathers will have the mortgage settled,the kids left home....and will want to buy the latest GSXRR3100RRXR to recapture their youth.They will have leathers just like that old guy Rossi used to wear,and ride a bike far beyond their capabilites.The old guys like you will scoff at them....''I really did race y'know....I'm the real thing''.The TV news programs will focus on the dayglo leather glad MotoGP lookalikes.Young guys will say ''Why do they always show those dickheads?''