PDA

View Full Version : Stories of motorway lunacy

surfchick
20th April 2005, 14:29
Just thought I'd start a thread for people to write stories after they see something mad on our lovely NZ motorway systems (or roads in general). Stick the date and location in the post along w. yo must hear story. I reckon I had a surreal moment last thursday when:

I was driving between the St lukes and titirangi exits on the Northern Western leaving town, and two giant double bed matresses lifted off the car in the lane to the left side (me in the middle following a silver sedan). The top one tumbled and rolled and came to a rest in my lane as me and the car in front were cramming on the anchors and the base landed just off the my left. I couldn't believe it. Using the stealthly narraow profile of my SRV I nipped between the matress and the base and drove home with my heart having repositioned itself in my eyeballs...

actually i think I'm cursed with surreal driving moments lately- as just the prev. week a rock climing wall made its way out in front of me on the southern M-way. Yes folks a two story rock climing wall... cooool

jazbug5
20th April 2005, 15:09
Have you done something to piss off Him Upstairs...?

gamgee
20th April 2005, 15:16
first time i ever went on the motorway, hit a hill as you do, dropped it into 4th to get up it (being an sr250) then near the top of hill without thinking went to change back into 5th pressed down, changed into 3rd and to cut a long story short, locked up the back wheel, and managed to not fall off!

Sparky Bills
20th April 2005, 16:07
I did a wheelie once down the highway, then a gust of wind hit me and i fell off! :whistle: OPPSSS!!!
Thats wasnt me! (sorry WT HAHA) :whistle:

Just the usual stuff,
People pulling into my lane, brocken mirrors, etc
In this world you have to be SOO carefull!

Riff Raff
20th April 2005, 16:21
I did a wheelie once down the highway, then a gust of wind hit me and i fell off! :whistle: OPPSSS!!!

Yes but I do recall you doing a wheelie in central Wellington and a gust of wind blowing you into the pavement!

Sparky Bills
20th April 2005, 16:22
Yes but I do recall you doing a wheelie in central Wellington and a gust of wind blowing you into the pavement!

It was a traffic island thankyou! :whistle:

Jeremy
20th April 2005, 16:28
Well coming back from Uni one day there was this massive piece of metal in the middle of the left hand lane. I've also seen chairs fall off the back of lorries onto my lane, which caused a bit of a problem. Also I managed to lock up my rear wheel brakeing when a drunk person decided that they would just step out from the pavement at the Symonds street onramp (heading south), that was fun at least I didn't fall off.

Paul in NZ
20th April 2005, 16:46

Him? You are slipping Jaz...

White trash
20th April 2005, 17:10

It blew me off you fucker :angry2: I didn't fall off!

I'm removing my toys from this pram, and I'm going home. Fuck ya's...

flyin
20th April 2005, 17:16
I locked up the front doin a hundy mile an hour last week........... stupid van turned across the motorway in front of me after i'd see-ya-later-bye'd a boyracer...... was just after i got the spacers in my forks and new rubber and in the shade/damp so felt completely different... till the front began to fall away.......

surfchick
20th April 2005, 17:24
l!

bro- that's a class moses moment. i thought the rock climing wall was funny

surfchick
20th April 2005, 17:27

i think He just likes to keep me confused and bewildered- but it definitely might be better for everyone if i ride by myself!!

DEATH_INC.
20th April 2005, 17:36
I won't go into full details,Ive done a few,prolly the best (stupidest...)was coming home from the drags one night pulled a wheelie down the ramarama straights on the ZX12 for a bit then dropped the front down in time to light up the rear of a patrol car...DOH!!! Took 'evasive' action and got home unscathed.....

jazbug5
20th April 2005, 18:06
Him? You are slipping Jaz...

Peh. I thought everyone knew that 'It' was masculine when in 'Vengeful' or 'Incomprehensible' mode; 'It' becomes feminine when Granting Miracles or being Wonderful In Her Ways. See?

Waylander
20th April 2005, 18:16
Peh. I thought everyone knew that 'It' was masculine when in 'Vengeful' or 'Incomprehensible' mode; 'It' becomes feminine when Granting Miracles or being Wonderful In Her Ways. See?
and for those of us with more than one?

FlyingDutchMan
20th April 2005, 18:28
I sat my CBTA full thingie yesterday... and I got one hellava fright. We (Instructor and two students) had gone out to little river for lunch and had been informed of what to look for in the way of hazards (cars, side roads, cars, people, cars crossing the center line etc...). So on the way back, the other guy was in the lead, me in the middle, and instructor behind. Front guy scared a hawk on the side of the road, which decided it would be a good idea to launch itself into the air on my side of the road. I just saw it coming closer and closer while it was trying to gain height in a painfully slow fashion. I ducked and passed without problem - suspect if I hadn't it would have literally hit me head on (bird to helmet). Man those thing are big close up!

BTW: I passed the course no problems... now I just can't wait for the paper work to come through and my full license turns up!

Gremlin
20th April 2005, 18:39
mmm unlimited power...

are you going to be selling your 250??

GROOMER
21st April 2005, 10:17
Auckland last year on Helensville m/way...a friend and I were (very thankfully) in his car, and a huge sheet of gib blew off a truck two cars in front and hit our windscreen/roof dead flat on. I'd hate to think what would have happened if I was on a bike :(

James Deuce
21st April 2005, 10:25
Auckland last year on Helensville m/way...a friend and I were (very thankfully) in his car, and a huge sheet of gib blew off a truck two cars in front and hit our windscreen/roof dead flat on. I'd hate to think what would have happened if I was on a bike :(
Piece of gib with a bike and rider silhouette in the middle of it.

FlyingDutchMan
21st April 2005, 10:57

Now that'd be a souvineer!

FlyingDutchMan
21st April 2005, 11:00
mmm unlimited power...

are you going to be selling your 250??
Is it me you're asking? I won't be selling in a hurry... but I know theres a guy down my street who looking at selling his CBR250RR around the $3K mark.

Unlimited power... it'd be good, but I don't really need it - I can break any NZ speed limit in any gear 'cept first.

flyin
21st April 2005, 11:41

Unlimited power... it'd be good, but I don't really need it - I can break any NZ speed limit in any gear 'cept first.

good call!! I've always thought that litre bikes are just obscenely overpowered for any legitimate road usage!!

James Deuce
21st April 2005, 11:45
good call!! I've always thought that litre bikes are just obscenely overpowered for any legitimate road usage!!
Litre bikes? 600s are now.

flyin
21st April 2005, 12:10
yeah but i want a 600.......I need it cos I take a pillion and luggage........... and cos I'ts a safety thing being able to get away from a situation quickly............ and, and. and ......... I like your bike Jim :niceone:

GROOMER
21st April 2005, 12:30

I'd like to see that :niceone:

crashe
21st April 2005, 13:06

Ahem.. her upstairs.... we all know that upstairs is run by the Goddess.. :cool:

White trash
21st April 2005, 13:54

But they're fuggin Purrrr-Fect for illegitimate road usage :whistle:

Waylander
21st April 2005, 14:04
Ahem.. her upstairs.... we all know that upstairs is run by the Goddess.. :cool:
Wich one though?:msn-wink:

flyin
21st April 2005, 14:20
But they're fuggin Purrrr-Fect for illegitimate road usage :whistle:

indeed... thats why i want to retain my NZ licence .... so I can go overseas and hire litre bikes....... :shifty:

chris
21st April 2005, 15:27
I was driving between the St lukes and titirangi exits on the Northern Western leaving town, and two giant double bed matresses lifted off the car in the lane to the left side (me in the middle following a silver sedan).

The mattress is still there, just passed it 15 minutes ago.

jazbug5
21st April 2005, 15:54

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showpost.php?p=219052&postcount=14

surfchick
5th May 2005, 12:14
so yesterday I'm driving along behind another silver sedan, which, just as i'm trapped with nowhere to go on the NW connection under grafton bridge, starts to loose the entire left side of the bumper. 2 feet of it flapping wildly in the wind, and I'm easing back and back and back hoping it doesn't snap in half and take out me forearms. lady luck was on my side, and me ran the guantlet unscathed- passed da car and indicated she pull over and put her car back together. no matter how hard i try i can't beat the dog igloo story... :msn-wink:

Biff
5th May 2005, 12:46
It blew me off you fucker :angry2: I didn't fall off!

Would you like me to show you have to crash properly? Amateur. :D