PDA

View Full Version : Re-registering a NZ made bike

XRVrider
2nd November 2009, 13:05
Hi all

Need some advice on what seems a slightly tricky bit of re-registering.

I am restoring 2 NZeta scooters from the early 60's that were bought in pieces from different sources, but nearly all parts were present for each. Figure that in both cases they were broken down to be restored but not finished. So have no rego plates or VIN plate. They were NZ made, well... imported then modified and assembled, renamed and sold from new as NZ made, and are for road use. So were sold back in the day registered with a stamped and riveted on VIN plate.

I have engine numbers but are sure at least one of the engines will not match the body (if I had VIN plates) as it was bought separately. So I have no proof of registration except they were only made for sale here so must have been registered to leave the shop. That will probably not help much I figure.

Have spoken to Land Transport, and a senior agent there said to carry on and finish the bikes and take them to have a pre registration check, at that point what I need to do will be made clear... hmm was a bit vague though.

Has anyone re-registered an NZeta or had any experiences that may help me here with other bikes bought and assembled from parts? Any ideas what I can do to start the ball rolling, or should I just carry on with the restorations and worry about it later. Just dont want to walk into brick wall after brick wall in what may turn out to be a long process. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers guys
Blair

digsaw
2nd November 2009, 13:19
If you have noo proof of registration in NZ its not a problem,what they dont or havent told you is that there is a form you can use to apply for an exemption so you dont realy have a problem yet.
they will give you the form to apply for the exemption when you have exhausted all avenues to prove previous NZ registration.:rockon:

avgas
2nd November 2009, 13:25
how many cc's are they?
under 50cc you can put it under the "generic chinese" title and not have anything checked

XRVrider
2nd November 2009, 13:45
Both are 175 cc, a huge 9.5 hp. Shoulders will stay in their sockets but they will do 100 kph.

Deemster
2nd November 2009, 16:05
Another option is to get an old dead rego plate from a swap meet and bring it along when you get the scooter revinned, just say "it was amongst the spares'.
Great to hear of Nzetas being restored, the ultimate in Kiwiana.
When revinning an classic the VTNZ will charge you full price rego the first time and at the vintage price after that so get the minimun rego period the first time around.
What is that bike in your avatar? a Rumi ?

scootnz
2nd November 2009, 16:10
Hey

I can help with a letter from the classic scooter club confirming Nzeta's were assembled and sold here.

Email me model numbers, serial numbers etc and I will start drafting something up.

Jess

Hi all

Need some advice on what seems a slightly tricky bit of re-registering.

I am restoring 2 NZeta scooters from the early 60's that were bought in pieces from different sources, but nearly all parts were present for each. Figure that in both cases they were broken down to be restored but not finished. So have no rego plates or VIN plate. They were NZ made, well... imported then modified and assembled, renamed and sold from new as NZ made, and are for road use. So were sold back in the day registered with a stamped and riveted on VIN plate.

I have engine numbers but are sure at least one of the engines will not match the body (if I had VIN plates) as it was bought separately. So I have no proof of registration except they were only made for sale here so must have been registered to leave the shop. That will probably not help much I figure.

Have spoken to Land Transport, and a senior agent there said to carry on and finish the bikes and take them to have a pre registration check, at that point what I need to do will be made clear... hmm was a bit vague though.

Has anyone re-registered an NZeta or had any experiences that may help me here with other bikes bought and assembled from parts? Any ideas what I can do to start the ball rolling, or should I just carry on with the restorations and worry about it later. Just dont want to walk into brick wall after brick wall in what may turn out to be a long process. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Cheers guys
Blair

scootnz
2nd November 2009, 16:13
You are charged for the process of VIN once + licence fees. Licence fees for vehicles over 40years old are less than $90 for 12 months. You are not charged more for licence fees the first time.

Another option is to get an old dead rego plate from a swap meet and bring it along when you get the scooter revinned, just say "it was amongst the spares'.
When revinning an classic the VTNZ will charge you full price rego the first time and at the vintage price after that so get the minimun rego period the first time around.

XRVrider
2nd November 2009, 16:28

Cool, good idea, and thanks for the tips. I am a little worried that they will run the plate and see that it was for a different bike though. Still its worth a try. There's a few blokes around NZ doing up NZeta's at the mo, will be good to see their pics in the hopefully not too distant future. The bike in the avatar is the wifes 1966 Jawa 50, a little 49cc thing she putts to work on everyday. That was a basket case when first bought, but got parts from Germany and Czech Republic, and she's all good now, cept the paint job which was a pretty average first effort.

Hi Jess, yeah thanks, it would be great to have a letter from the NZCSC. I will make sure I have the numbers right and the engine number too, will get back to you soon. Still a long way to go for the restorations so will be a while before going for registration, just nice to know it may be easier than I expected... time will tell.

pete376403
2nd November 2009, 20:28
Hi all
They were NZ made, well... imported then modified and assembled, renamed and sold from new as NZ made, and are for road use. So were sold back in the day registered with a stamped and riveted on VIN plate.
Cheers guys
Blair
Back in the 60s there was no VIN plate - bikes had a frame and engine number (which may or may not have matched) and that was it.
VIN plates have only come in the last 20 years or so

Holy Roller
2nd November 2009, 20:41
I have to revin my SR250 Im building up.
$175 for the Vin
Tricky part may be the brake survey done by the bike shop, where they measure pad or shoe thickness drum thickness, these need to be as per the original spec. ( I was talking to a guy today who had rebuilt a 400 only to be turned down because the brake measurements were not standard too much wear in the drums) Though VTNZ in Whakatane has said all they need to do is pass a WoF, will see what happens when I get it to that state of repair.

XRVrider
2nd November 2009, 21:03
Back in the 60s there was no VIN plate - bikes had a frame and engine number (which may or may not have matched) and that was it.
VIN plates have only come in the last 20 years or so

Oh ok, well the plate on these old girls was an aluminium plate with all the ID numbers on, not exactly a VIN plate, but IDed the bike to the engine and frame , cc's, year and model etc.... so the closest thing to a VIN plate in the day. I reckon that plate would certainly help now.

Deemster
3rd November 2009, 15:47
You are charged for the process of VIN once + licence fees. Licence fees for vehicles over 40years old are less than $90 for 12 months. You are not charged more for licence fees the first time.

You are right it Should be $90 for 12 months but I have gone through the process twice with an 40+year old scoot in the last 3 years. Both times at differant testing stations they charged me full price.
I argued and protested but the robotic counter staff wouldn't or couldn't challenge what the computer was telling them to do.
Thier responce was to the effect of " its not up to me to classify your bike as vintage, that is up to the LTSA. It can't be classified if it is not registed and its not registed untill its licenced"
After the stress of watching some clown vin test a machine I spent 18 months restoring, (no it's not an auto, yes it's got gears AND A CLUTCH.) I was not upto arguing or waving a rule book at them for long. All I wanted was my new plate and to get out of there. So I just licenced for the minumum period possable.
When the renewal notice came in the mail it was at the vintage rate.
The post on this subject on magnetos the other week clearly showes that the poster was charged full price the first time around to.