PDA

View Full Version : Who's got a long one. Memory that is

Ixion
2nd November 2009, 21:01
My memory says that once there wasn't a separate ACC category for bikes. We were just in with cars and vans and shit.

But I can't remember why I think that or when it changed if it did.

Does anyone know? Please?

Motu
2nd November 2009, 21:48
My memory is long gone.When ACC came in I was doing things to my brain cells that sent many to premature retirement.Concensus here is that we weren't told - it wasn't broken down into categories,just a rego fee.

sidecar bob
3rd November 2009, 06:25
About 12 years ago, we got our own seperate levy, which at the time, was somwhere around 20 dollars cheaper than the car levy.
Bikers at the time actually lobbied to get it raised back up to the car levy, believing that once we were on our own, it could be raised as easily as it was lowered.

Clockwork
3rd November 2009, 07:28
About 12 years ago, we got our own seperate levy, which at the time, was somwhere around 20 dollars cheaper than the car levy.
Bikers at the time actually lobbied to get it raised back up to the car levy, believing that once we were on our own, it could be raised as easily as it was lowered.

No it was earlier than that. Try some time aound 78-80. I remember participating in the protest ride through Wellington and I sold that bike and left for the UK for 13 years in 1980.

sidecar bob
3rd November 2009, 07:48
No it was earlier than that. Try some time aound 78-80. I remember participating in the protest ride through Wellington and I sold that bike and left for the UK for 13 years in 1980.

Well then it happened again sometime while you were away, but thinking about it, it was a lot longer ago than i originally said, may be nearer to 20 years.

MSTRS
3rd November 2009, 10:41
I've been looking back at oldish relicence slips...I'm confused.
Some are orange and some are green, and the rates on each are different.
The green form is "Renewal of Motor Vehicle Licence".
The orange form is "Application for Motor Vehicle Licence".
Yet in the below bikes the rego was continuous.

GSXR1100 due 07/2005 ACC Levy $189.02. Due 07/2006 $166.50. Both orange.
GSXR750 due 05/2008 $166.50. Due 05/2009 $204.66. Both green
EL250 due 03/2006 $189.02 Orange. Due 09/2006 $166.50 Green.
VT250 due 03/2006 $189.02 Orange. Due 09/2006 $166.50 Green. Due 04/2008 $166.50. Green.
EX500 due 09/2009 $252.69 Green.

All of them state that the fee covers a 12 month period. So even if I did a 3 month (say) at some point in the history, it still doesn't make sense.

Ixion
3rd November 2009, 10:58
well, the $166, $204, $252 are easy enough. The levy goes up each year (about $40). My dockets show the same numbers .

I don't know about the $189 one. That would imply that between 03/2006 and 07/2006 the levy went DOWN. It's possible, those months are in different licensing years (licensing year is July to June), but an ACC levy going DOWN? Especially on motorcycles? Doesn't seem very probable. I'll try to find one of mine from that period.

Ixion
3rd November 2009, 11:00
Well then it happened again sometime while you were away, but thinking about it, it was a lot longer ago than i originally said, may be nearer to 20 years.

there was a protest in 1979 (+/- a year) , but I don't think that as when the motorcycle specific class happened. I was at the TownHall for it, but I'm blowed if I can remember the details. I just remember I was agin it.

Another in 1993 , but that was definately an increase proposal.

I doubt there would have been any mass protest about setting up a motorcycle class, i don't think they cahnged the levy at the time (or not much anyway).

Clockwork
3rd November 2009, 12:38
It's the only protest I've been involved in and I'm pretty sure that increasing bike ACC levy changres above cars was exactly what it was about!

Remember, I was out of the country for 13+ years after that and didn't start riding again until '04

Ixion
3rd November 2009, 12:42
All the protests have been about increasing ACC levies.

What i want is when bikes got their own account

NighthawkNZ
3rd November 2009, 12:44
All the protests have been about increasing ACC levies.

What i want is when bikes got their own account

The day they seperated all the different accounts is the day that ACC as a whole fell apart... the bigger the pool the better the scheme works for all accidents... The smaller the seperate accounts etc the less the scheme actually works... it shouldn't be like that it was never designed to be like that... the idea of it was to cross subsidise so it didn't matter where the money came from as long as ACC as a whole had enough to cover people in general don't care who is paying what...

my ACC in my PAYE is suppose to cover me for any thing I do as a citizen and that includes driving or riding a motorcycle... technically the levy on the rego should only be a top up

Ixion
3rd November 2009, 12:47
Absolutely correct . WHEN WAS IT ?

Clockwork
3rd November 2009, 12:48
my ACC in my PAYE is suppose to cover me for any thing I do as a citizen and that includes driving or riding a motorcycle... technically the levy on the rego should only be a top up

And that pretty much nails it too!

NighthawkNZ
3rd November 2009, 12:53
Absolutely correct . WHEN WAS IT ?

umm sorry my memory not that good either on dates... hell I can't even remember my BDay let alone hers... :bash:

SPman
3rd November 2009, 13:20
It wouldn't have been in 99 when they brought in private competition, would it?

Ixion
3rd November 2009, 14:15
I have a vague notion that it was. But I have no idea why I have that notion and nothing to back it up .

Max Headroom
3rd November 2009, 20:06
I did some digging through my archives, and found a few pertinent articles.

This is an article taken from the English "Motorcycle" magazine dated 17th June 1978 and reproduced here verbatim:

"Kiwi Bikers Protest!

Thousands of motorcyclists have taken to the street in New Zealand to protest at their government's plan to increase motorcycle "registration fees" to NZ$80 per annum.

The fee covers road tax and compulsory third party insurance. Reason for the proposed increase, said a spokesman for the New Zealand Accident Compensation Commission, is that riders are being paid more for loss of wages through hospitalisation following accidents than they are paying through the registration fees.

Four thousand riders attended a protest meeting at the New Zealand parliament at Wellington and handed in a protest petition. A further 2,000 went to a similar meeting at Auckland Town Hall.

Motorcyclists are arguing that they are being unfairly treated, and that skiers, rugby players and people involved in similar dangerous sports are not being affected in the same way.

A television programme prompted by the outcry illustrated the advantages of a motorcycle as against a car such as lower initial cost, running expenses and depreciation.

With general elections scheduled for November, the New Zealand government is particularly sensitive to this kind of demonstration at present. Prime Minister Mr Muldoon commented that while motorcyclists would have to pay more, the increases would be much less than those proposed by the Accident Compensation Commission."

.................................................. .................................................. .
In addition to this, i have a copy of a club newsletter dated June 1979 in which the topic of ACC levies is being discussed. here's an excerpt:

"Members were asked for their views on the best way to approach our argument regarding multiple levy fees, before we once again endeavour to convince our Members of Parliament of the total injustice of this scheme. Our point of one rider, one risk, regardless of how many machines he owns, will continue to be made. Much discussion took place on this question. Unfortunately it would seem that (XXX) Motorcycle Club is one of the few motorcycle clubs who do not accept the link of the ACC levy to Registration and we will continue to pursue the matter".

Motu
3rd November 2009, 20:37
Shit - we were up against Muldoon back then! John Key will be a push over,he doesn't stand a chance.

Max Headroom
3rd November 2009, 20:45
Yeah. Arthur Allan Thomas was still in jail, the American rider Pat Hennen had just had his spectacular crash at the IoM which buggered his career IIRC, and a 27yo kiwi guy, Mike Adler was killed on the last lap of the Schweppes Classic at the IoM on a 350cc Yamaha. Car-less days were in force, and petrol stations weren't allowed to be open after mid-day on Saturday until Monday morning.

those were the days aye . . . . :)

CookMySock
3rd November 2009, 20:48
My memory is more wide than long. ;)

Steve

MSTRS
4th November 2009, 08:13
I did some digging through my archives, and found a few pertinent articles....

Proposal and counter-argument hasn't changed. Is our stone stronger than their water?
Does anyone have the amount that cars paid in rego in 1978? All I can remember is that bikes were cheaper than cars, at least prior to then.

Clockwork
4th November 2009, 08:48
I did some digging through my archives, and found a few pertinent articles.

This is an article taken from the English "Motorcycle" magazine dated 17th June 1978 and reproduced here verbatim:

"Kiwi Bikers Protest!

Thousands of motorcyclists have taken to the street in New Zealand to protest at their government's plan to increase motorcycle "registration fees" to NZ$80 per annum.

The fee covers road tax and compulsory third party insurance. Reason for the proposed increase, said a spokesman for the New Zealand Accident Compensation Commission, is that riders are being paid more for loss of wages through hospitalisation following accidents than they are paying through the registration fees.

Four thousand riders attended a protest meeting at the New Zealand parliament at Wellington and handed in a protest petition. A further 2,000 went to a similar meeting at Auckland Town Hall.

Motorcyclists are arguing that they are being unfairly treated, and that skiers, rugby players and people involved in similar dangerous sports are not being affected in the same way.

A television programme prompted by the outcry illustrated the advantages of a motorcycle as against a car such as lower initial cost, running expenses and depreciation.

With general elections scheduled for November, the New Zealand government is particularly sensitive to this kind of demonstration at present. Prime Minister Mr Muldoon commented that while motorcyclists would have to pay more, the increases would be much less than those proposed by the Accident Compensation Commission."

.................................................. .................................................. .
In addition to this, i have a copy of a club newsletter dated June 1979 in which the topic of ACC levies is being discussed. here's an excerpt:

"Members were asked for their views on the best way to approach our argument regarding multiple levy fees, before we once again endeavour to convince our Members of Parliament of the total injustice of this scheme. Our point of one rider, one risk, regardless of how many machines he owns, will continue to be made. Much discussion took place on this question. Unfortunately it would seem that (XXX) Motorcycle Club is one of the few motorcycle clubs who do not accept the link of the ACC levy to Registration and we will continue to pursue the matter".

So it's confirmed then? Clockwork has the longest one.

Voltaire
14th November 2009, 21:29
I was at a KB members today and he showed me original letters from the late 1970's regarding ACC motorcycle levies.
ACC were taking a similar line to now and one of the letters was from the Mangere MP Mr David Lange.

You could hear him read it....I could smell the levies on his breath.... It went on about about how in the UK they have seperate road tax and insurance.
It also went on to mention that if a farmer on a motorcycle has an accident it is on the work levy and not the road one.
All good stuff....but they were then as now opposition....David however did not a Triumph.
He also told the BWM register president " ......spelling my name correctly...."

Actually typed.....and signed....not the photo copies ones I got from ACC.

Paul in NZ
15th November 2009, 07:14
1992 Accident Rehabilitation and Compensation Insurance Act was when the 3 streams were seperated again.

Its not in here but there could be a clue?

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?p=1129474515#post1129474515