PDA

View Full Version : Shoei X-Eleven

limmy
20th April 2005, 20:01
I got my X-Eleven about three weeks ago. It gave me a good impression the moment I picked it up. According to the specs the helmet is only 1.3kg. Coming from a HJC C12 that's like feather weight. When I first put it on I thought the padding was a bit hard and gave a very tight fit. since then the padding have soften a bit and its much more comfortable now. The helmet give a first snug fit and doesn't wobble around. There doesn't feell like there are any gaps either. Apparently you can get padding with different stiffness but I haven't really looked into this.

There's lots of ventilation in the helmet which keeps the head nice and cool. The wind noise with this helmet is also relatively low compared to the C12. When I was using the C12 I could barely hear my engine once i got past 100km/h. With the X-11 I can hear my engine loud and clear and don't end up with my ears ringing after every ride.

Aerodynamics on this helmet is superb. Get very minimal lift. Even in windy conditions you don't feel that your head is getting blown around. You don't also get that stain when you turn your head around to look for traffic just before you change lanes.

The other day someone also mentioned to me that the fin at the back of the helmet helps keep your head from rolling around when you crash. This is suppose to help minimize spinal injuries. So if you fall on the left side of your head in theory your head should stay in that position.

One last thing....the padding in the helmet are all removable so you can throw them in the washing every now and then.

So...although the helmet was a little pricey i don't regret getting it at all. Top dollar for a top product. Also something to note...i bought the helmet from singapore so it was significantly cheaper than buying it here. the only place that comes close to matching that price was buying it off ebay.

gav
20th April 2005, 21:45
Good write up, got a photo? Bear in mind that the helmets for the Asian market eg Singapore have a different shaped shell than for the European market, apparently, so best to try on first if possible.

FEINT
20th April 2005, 21:50
Had a look at this helmet .... looks really really good. Kagayama replica isn't it Limmy?

I don't know if that thing at the end actually helps you in a fall, from what I heard it is there to minimise wind noise....?? None the less, it is a very very light helmet. I haven't actually worn one so can't say about noise levels, but it is light.

limmy
20th April 2005, 23:44
Good write up, got a photo? Bear in mind that the helmets for the Asian market eg Singapore have a different shaped shell than for the European market, apparently, so best to try on first if possible.

I tried on one here and got the right sizing and it worked out alright for me.

this is the one i have: http://www.shoeihelmet.co.jp/hellineup/full/h_x11kaga/h_x11kaga.html

750Y
21st April 2005, 08:32
As far as the x-11 goes, mine arrived this week. My last 2 helmets were shoei x-ceed which were Shoei’s previous top of the line helmets. Mine cost about $600 NZ landed from memory & took 3 weeks to arrive from the states. I have only worn it 4 times(work & back twice) but these are my impressions.
Firstly the quality of finish is obviously top notch as You would expect.
First thing I noticed was the clumsy d-ring fastener which is a pain in the ass compared to the clip on my x-ceed. I can see me dropping this helmet while fiddling around trying to do up the strap so I can carry it. The clip on the end of the strap is great for securing the strap so it’s not flying around & slapping your neck.
The helmet arrived without a breath/nose guard so the vision seems huuuge & I feel like I’m in a fish bowl. But I’ll buy one for a few $$ & that’ll make it better. The cut out seems wider allowing enormous peripheral vision.
The first morning, was cold & the visor fogged up badly forcing me to ride with it up so I got the watery eye syndrome but at least I could see where I was going in the dark. Probably better than the x-ceed tho in that respect. Once I got above the posted speed limit it seemed to clear ok tho. I’ll be getting another fog city insert to sort this out & it’ll be sweet.
With the extra venting I found it quieter than the x-ceed and when I wore earplugs I could only just hear the engine.
When braking from speed down to a stop sign it seemed to do this weird thing at the back of the neck that felt like some sort of suction effect which was a bit bizarre. It’s a bit colder/windier at the base of the neck too with the higher cut.
Wind resistance seems good in a straight line but it seems to drag a bit more than the x-ceed when I turn my head.
Fit is not as firm as the small x-ceed. I had to order a medium as I couldn’t get my head into the small that I tried on.
I considered the aria corsair also as it felt awesome except for the forehead was too tight. One comment I’d make in comparison tho is the increased peripheral vision makes it probably a better road helmet but for racing I think the arai would beat it.
In summary I’d have rather had another x-ceed but sadly they don’t make em anymore.
It’s too early for me to rate this helmet properly but for now I’d give it an 8 & the x-ceed a 9.

Lou Girardin
21st April 2005, 08:53
[QUOTE=limmy]You don't also get that stain when you turn your head around to look for traffic just before you change lanes.

I find you only get that stain if the cages are too close. :whistle:

limmy
21st April 2005, 09:39
[QUOTE=limmy]You don't also get that stain when you turn your head around to look for traffic just before you change lanes.

I find you only get that stain if the cages are too close. :whistle:

err...meant strain. good spotting mate. guess somebody's reading the shit i write.

limmy
21st April 2005, 09:44
First thing I noticed was the clumsy d-ring fastener which is a pain in the ass compared to the clip on my x-ceed. I can see me dropping this helmet while fiddling around trying to do up the strap so I can carry it. The clip on the end of the strap is great for securing the strap so it’s not flying around & slapping your neck.
The helmet arrived without a breath/nose guard so the vision seems huuuge & I feel like I’m in a fish bowl. But I’ll buy one for a few $$ & that’ll make it better. The cut out seems wider allowing enormous peripheral vision.
The first morning, was cold & the visor fogged up badly forcing me to ride with it up so I got the watery eye syndrome but at least I could see where I was going in the dark. Probably better than the x-ceed tho in that respect. Once I got above the posted speed limit it seemed to clear ok tho. I’ll be getting another fog city insert to sort this out & it’ll be sweet.

now that u mention it that d-ring clip is impossible to get on for me. i don't even bother using it.

Also it does fog up a little in the mornings since its getting a little cold now but once i start moving its fine. Although in saying this I had the priviledge of riding down to Hamilton very early in the morning and in thick fog as well and i could see a thing because the visor starting fogging up every 3 seconds. can't say how fast i was going at that stage cause i couldn't see my speedometer.

Lou Girardin
21st April 2005, 13:17
Hey Gav,
Is the X11 better than the XR1000?

k14
21st April 2005, 16:45
Yeah I have an XR1000 and honestly it is only better in 1 aspect over my old XR900. That is the padding is more comfy. It is alot louder than the XR900 and also is not as deep making my chin stick out the bottom a bit. The ventilation is pretty good on both.

Don't know why you guys are against the D-rings. Only sort of securing mechanism I would use on a helmet. Alot more secure than the clip sort. I have 3 shoei's and they all have that type of buckle. Are you serious that you don't do the strap up limmy?? Thats suicide, may as well not wear one.

gav
21st April 2005, 19:30
Hey Gav,
Is the X11 better than the XR1000?
Apparently, its also known as the X-Spirit, if you were unsure, Lou. :msn-wink: How about you send me one of each to trial and I'll let you know?

Hitcher
21st April 2005, 19:37
And it comes in a XXL that fits! Still no graphics option in the big size. One day the New Zealand distributors will learn or I'll go into business parallel importing against them...

Bless you Shoei-san!

Zed
21st April 2005, 20:05
I got my X-Eleven about three weeks ago. It gave me a good impression the moment I picked it up. According to the specs the helmet is only 1.3kg. Coming from a HJC C12 that's like feather weight.Hey that's a pretty flash helmet you got there limmy, I like the 360 degree view available on that website!

Changing myself this week from an HJC to a Shoei I really appreciate the difference in weight, my new Raid is 1.4kg so yours at 1.3 must feel really light!

There's lots of ventilation in the helmet which keeps the head nice and cool.Yeah I noticed that with mine too. As soon as the forehead vent is opened I can feel a nice cool breeze going over the top of my head...never had that with any of the lids I've owned.

You don't also get that stain when you turn your head around to look for traffic just before you change lanes.Good point, I noticed that straight away. Other than the lighter weight it's probably because the cut of the helmet is higher than the HJC enabling you more movement when turning your noggin.

The other day someone also mentioned to me that the fin at the back of the helmet helps keep your head from rolling around when you crash. This is suppose to help minimize spinal injuries. So if you fall on the left side of your head in theory your head should stay in that position.Hehe maybe if they fitted a big rubber crash bung around the circumference of the helmet it would minimise head injury? The fin design (for racing) is about wind aerodynamics.

So...although the helmet was a little pricey i don't regret getting it at all. Top dollar for a top product.Good on ya. Maybe one day I'll get around to buying a top of the range helmet, but for now I'm more than happy with my mid-range choice...it is a "Shoei" after all! :niceone:

Zed
21st April 2005, 20:12
now that u mention it that d-ring clip is impossible to get on for me. i don't even bother using it.Please use it mate! It's a wee bit fiddly to start with but you will get used to it...sort of like putting on a collar & tie. :pinch:

My HJC has the one-touch buckle which I like, but now I've been using the Shoei D-rings I've realised that they stay in the tightened position better than the clip type and therefore should prevent the helmet from moving around on your head too much in windy conditions, etc. There is a small metal clip on the end of the belt which clips over the flat section of the D-ring to stop it dangling around your neck. I use this clip when I take off the helmet too so I can carry it around by the strap, it seems to hold on quite securely...again, practise makes perfect.

This off the Shoei website:
"Why is Shoei using different chin strap locks?
Our helmets are either equipped with our One-Touch-Buckle or the Double-D-Ring. Neither of them is safer than the other. For our comfort oriented models we prefer the One-Touch-Buckle. Once you have adjusted this kind of chin strap lock you can open and close it very easily. Our sport orientated models come with the Double-D-Ring. The reason is simply that Grand Prix Racers are forced to wear that system during the races and these helmet models have their origin on the racetrack. "

campwest
26th April 2005, 22:18
They crash well too :doh:

750Y
27th April 2005, 06:36
They crash well too :doh:

wanna sell me any of the parts? or are you buying another?

2_SL0
27th April 2005, 08:03
wanna sell me any of the parts? or are you buying another?

I believe the outer shell is up for sale, "Slightly used but in good order"
hehehe :msn-wink:

750Y
27th April 2005, 08:36
bloody comedians...
i am after a nose/breath guard

campwest
27th April 2005, 20:40
bloody comedians...
i am after a nose/breath guard

insurance company destroyed it but they bought me another one .. I tried to keep it for a momento, but they thought I was high risk and would use it again :laugh:

750Y
28th April 2005, 22:31
ahh so that's what they do with them. i always wondered why they want them back. cheers anyhow...

limmy
14th June 2005, 10:26
Hi All. Since my review I've had a few more experiences with my beloved helmet.

Experience 1:
I have washed the padding a few times and it really works. It takes a bit of fiddling initially to work out how to get it out but after that its pretty easy to put back in.

Experience 2:
I have finally worked out to use the click on the chin strap. For all of those that don't know what I'm talking...there's a clip at the end of the chip strap so after you put the strap through the double D (hehe) rings you can clip the end of the strap back to the rest of the strap so it doesn't fly around or come lose. Initially I couldn't clip the strap back on no matter how hard i pushed. However one fine day a few weeks after my first attempt I thought I would give it another try. and for some reason I used my right hand instead of my left this time to fasten the clip and it went in fine. It seems that if you use your left had to fasten the clip it wouldn't go in. must be some kinda weird physics.

Experience 3 (and this is the big one):
I've recently crash tested the helmet. Needless to say (then why am i saying it) it worked very well. On impact I didn't feel any vibration to my head. I landed on the side of my head and the helmet didn't bounce...at least i didn't feel it bounce. It also held my head up in a very comfortable position so that my neck was straight. The firm padding in the helmet definitely did its job.

You may think this all sounds pretty standard. Well...remember the C12 i mentioned at the start of my review? Well...i crash tested that too. (is this guy loco?!!) The C12 definitely didn't fair as well in a lesser crash. When my head hit the tarmac in the C12 i got this shock coming through the helmet. Also it didn't feel as comfortable lying on the ground in that helmet.

bugjuice
14th June 2005, 10:46
that sux, ws a nice lid. I take it you have banged it now, so it's time to get another.. Least it'll be on the insurance along with the rest of the stuff, isn't it..??
Is the van at fault?

At least it proves you get what you paid for. Things like this is the last place you want to cut corners on

Uncle B
14th June 2005, 10:59
Mine cost about $600 NZ landed from memory & took 3 weeks to arrive from the states.

750Y.....Where did you import from the states?
Been looking at doing the same thing....exchange rate is so good at the moment.

limmy
14th June 2005, 14:18
that sux, ws a nice lid. I take it you have banged it now, so it's time to get another.. Least it'll be on the insurance along with the rest of the stuff, isn't it..??
Is the van at fault?

At least it proves you get what you paid for. Things like this is the last place you want to cut corners on

if its the van's fault then maybe they can get their insurance to cover the helmet. but its going to be hard convincing them that it was the van's fault since i hit it from the back.

Big Dave
18th June 2005, 21:08
And it comes in a XXL that fits! Still no graphics option in the big size. One day the New Zealand distributors will learn or I'll go into business parallel importing against them...

Bless you Shoei-san!

Assume you have contacted a retailer and tried to procure what you wish and it is unavailable?

I have access to said importers if you want to send me the specifics of the model you are after - I can but ask.