PDA

View Full Version : Police state much?

rainman
2nd November 2009, 22:48
From Paul Holmes and Judith Collins interview:
(http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO0911/S00003.htm)

PAUL Well let's come on to DNA a bit later on, but let's talk about the Criminal Proceeds Act first of all, and what this says is instead of the Police having to prove that your wealth is criminally obtained, the citizen will have to prove it is not, so you are no longer innocent till you're proven guilty.

JUDITH It's fantastic isn't it? It's the only thing we can do to deal with these people. Actually what it does is it gives the Police similar powers to what the Inland Revenue Department already has now, and I can tell you Paul if you suddenly fronted up with $500,000 in your bank account and the IRD knew about it, they'd be after you straight away, they'd be saying where's my tax – well we're going to do the same for the Police, we're going to say where is it, how did you get it, where did it come from, and except the tax rate's going to be 100%.

What. The. Fuck.

How's that change feeling? :blink:

James Deuce
3rd November 2009, 05:53
Don't even go there mate, the average Kiwi doesn't give a fuck.

They'll just trot the "If you have nothing to fear, you have nothing to worry about" line out.

Brian d marge
3rd November 2009, 06:12
The meat inspector has the right to break into my house and take my computer , if me sausages ain't kosher???

ohhh

if this government isnt voted out in the next election ,,, I will kiss the wife :gob:

Stephen

koba
3rd November 2009, 06:19
How much of your accumulated "stuff" can you prove you are the rightful owner of...?

SPman
3rd November 2009, 14:28
Don't even go there mate, the average Kiwi doesn't give a fuck.

They'll just trot the "If you have nothing to fear, you have nothing to worry about" line out.
What he said.....

until it impinges on them....then listen to the squeals, but by then, it'll be toooooooooo late!

Dave Lobster
3rd November 2009, 14:49
We don’t live in a Police state, thank God.

Oh shit. How did she get voted in??

MisterD
3rd November 2009, 14:59
Except, dear lefties, your cheerleader Mr Holmes has it completely wrong and I'm amazed Crusher didn't pull him up on it.

The change is that the standard of proof will move from the that of "beyond reasonable doubt" to "balance of probability"...

The change is feeling pretty good over here.