PDA

View Full Version : Southland: Burt Munro Challenge - 26-29 Nov 2009

helenoftroy
2nd November 2009, 23:18
Last minute decision,leave booked !!:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

Ist time for me,very much looking forward to it and the extended ride there & back.....

Anyone else on here going?

awayatc
2nd November 2009, 23:21
Haven't booked....
but am thinking about it.....
where do I find out more about it?

helenoftroy
2nd November 2009, 23:24
Haven't booked....
Some info if you just google burtmunrochallenge 2009

Friends that went last year all had great things to say bout the event...

JMemonic
2nd November 2009, 23:26

No really... Honest... you cant use my bike as the bar ok.....

See you there we leave the Monday before to head down via Picton, Nelson, the West coast

helenoftroy
2nd November 2009, 23:33
No really... Honest... you cant use my bike as the bar ok.....

See you there we leave the Monday before to head down via Picton, Nelson, the West coast

:woohoo::woohoo:Excellent!!

Must be my Ducs turn for bar duties.....:drinknsin

JMemonic
2nd November 2009, 23:42
Haven't booked....

http://www.burtmunrochallenge.com/

We had a great time last year, hope they can achieve the same or better this one.

JMemonic
2nd November 2009, 23:46
:woohoo::woohoo:Excellent!!

Must be my Ducs turn for bar duties.....:drinknsin

Umm booze is a bit more costly down there hence why someone bought a cask of country red then proceeded to drink far too much of it...

Burt..., Burt are you there Burt, inside the tent is not a good idea.

Silage
3rd November 2009, 21:19
A group of us (about 7 so far) are getting our thoughts together. The plan is:
Thurs Nov 26 Chch - Alex
27th Alex - Invers. Beach races in pm
28th Invers
29th Invers - Winton - Qtown
30th Qtown - Hokitika
1 Dec Hoki to Chch
Happy to have taggers on but they will need to sort accommodation where ever cos I think bookings have been made.

What are you thinking of doing Helen. And I am expecting Shrek to be out to give us a wave on the way past.

_Shrek_
3rd November 2009, 21:29
Thurs Nov 26 Chch - Alex
28th Invers
30th Qtown - Hokitika
1 Dec Hoki to Chch
Happy to have taggers on but they will need to sort accommodation where ever cos I think bookings have been made.

What are you thinking of doing Helen. And I am expecting Shrek to be out to give us a wave on the way past.

:laugh: will be in Belclutha on thurs arvo 26th for CEO's dinner & fri 27th till 3:00pm (son's graduation) then off to Burt :wari:

gammaguy
3rd November 2009, 21:37
wont be going this year sadly....but i get to tour the whole of nz for two weeks with thirty other motorcycles.

and i get paid for it.

:)

Big Dave
3rd November 2009, 21:39
Fizzing at the Bungage!

Picking up a Victory Vision Ness Special in Chch on Wed and heading down to the Hillclimb via the Pig Route.
Look out for the Big Guy on the Cadillac. We'll be blogging it sorta live.

This is going to be an absolute hoot.

They are fitting the Top Box as well.

_Shrek_
3rd November 2009, 21:41
wont be going this year sadly....but i get to tour the whole of nz for two weeks with thirty other motorcycles.

and i get paid for it.

I just bet you hate your job too :laugh:

McJim
3rd November 2009, 21:42
It's a busy weekend and no mistake. I've got to look after my littlies in the Santa parade. It's odd coz although I've been to the racing at Teretonga on Burt Munro Challenge weekend and I've been to the Wyndham streets I have never been to the rally. Suppose I'm just too tight to pay $30 to set up a tent round the corner from where I live! :rofl:

Might see some of you at the events if I get the time off parenting.

marigami
3rd November 2009, 21:50
Ohh I hope there will be some pics of this event.
Burt Monro is one of the many reasons why I so wanted to come over.
Lucky you to have this.

Big Dave
3rd November 2009, 21:53
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kiwirider/sets/72157622352120104/show/

McJim
3rd November 2009, 21:56
Ohh I hope there will be some pics of this event.
Burt Monro is one of the many reasons why I so wanted to come over.
Lucky you to have this.

http://www.youtube.com/NZMcJim#p/u/5/zEAvEPTkbNE

Just to make you more jealous :2thumbsup:

gammaguy
3rd November 2009, 22:23
I just bet you hate your job too :laugh:

someone has to do it i guess:crybaby::woohoo:

helenoftroy
3rd November 2009, 22:45
5 bikes(at this stage)leave early Fri for Invercargill via Catlins,Sunday night ?Cardrona then the long way home on Monday.....Harleys,a GS1100 and the Ducati!!!:rockon:

and i get paid for it.

Its such a tough life lol!!:oi-grr:

Fizzing at the Bungage!

Picking up a Victory Vision Ness Special in Chch on Wed and heading down to the Hillclimb via the Pig Route.
Look out for the Big Guy on the Cadillac. We'll be blogging it sorta live.

This is going to be an absolute hoot.

They are fitting the Top Box as well.

Man you guys have such bitch jobs!!!

Will watch out for ya!!:wari::wari::wari:

vstrom
4th November 2009, 06:01
Thurs Nov 26 Chch - Alex
28th Invers
30th Qtown - Hokitika
1 Dec Hoki to Chch

whats on in winton?

vstrom
4th November 2009, 06:24
Last year i went for a ride to bluff on the saterday morning on the way back to invers my r80 got stuck in 3rd gear,bugger ,i went to the nearest bike shop they were to busy,i asked to borrow some tools, while they wernt looking i stripped my bike down and before they new what was going on i had the gearbox stripped down and found a little spring had broken in the gearbox,i bent up a carby spring and used that,reasembled and was back at the rally site buy 3,30pm.burt would be proud.its not going to happen this year i brought a new vstrom 6 months ago ,its not new any more 19000km over the winter,three rear tyres,two front tyres ,four oil changes and 35 demerits,wes westport-roxburgh thursdasy catlins -bluff-invers.monday gore=milford=roxbugh.tuesday home. cant remember the bike shop name i think they sold trumphs but they were good buggers

paulmac
4th November 2009, 06:52
Leave Hawera early on 26th, to chch, friday to inver via catlins. Rally all weekend. Monday milford and stay in lumnsden, tue crown range, mt cook stay in fairlie, wen to westport, thur up to karamea then havelock, fri come home. 2 hd's, a busa and a trike !

KZT
4th November 2009, 15:35
I havn't managed to do the Burt M yet, BUT this year I will get there.
No real plans as yet but most likely just head off from here Thurs afternoon or Friday morning, do the camping thing and head home Sunday or Monday. I don't work Fridays or Mondays so it's nice not to have to make too many plans in advance!:cool:

Hinny
4th November 2009, 18:55
http://www.youtube.com/NZMcJim#p/u/5/zEAvEPTkbNE

Just to make you more jealous :2thumbsup:
Looks like the ATNR.

nz_rider
4th November 2009, 19:10
Does anyone know whether you can stay at the rally site if you are just a spectator, or do you have to be taking part in the rally and the racing?
Also do all of the racers taking part stay at the rally site or are they dispersed through town. We are heading down for the weekend, and are just trying to gauge what it will be like and whether all the entertainment in the evenings will be at the rally site or whether town will be alright.

McJim
4th November 2009, 19:28
Looks like the ATNR.

I agree - and I've been to both! (o'course this is a comment on some peoples' behaviour and is in no way impugning the organisational skills of the ride organisers of ATNR!)

Winston001
4th November 2009, 19:31
Does anyone know whether you can stay at the rally site if you are just a spectator, or do you have to be taking part in the rally and the racing?
Also do all of the racers taking part stay at the rally site or are they dispersed through town. We are heading down for the weekend, and are just trying to gauge what it will be like and whether all the entertainment in the evenings will be at the rally site or whether town will be alright.

Okay.....The rally site is at Sandy Point close to Oreti Beach. This is about 8km west of Invercargill. The beach racing is very close and there is a bus out to the beach. Easy walk to Teretonga and Speedway.

No problem staying on-site at the rally. Plenty of room and large pavilions for gathering together. Plenty of food to buy. There isn't a lot of rally activity in Invercargill itself that I can think of. Santa Parade.

I'm a local but try not to be biased. Its the most well-organised motorcycle rally I've ever been to. Probably because its organised by Venture Southland which is a branch of local government so the details aren't left to lucky volunteers of a bike club. Additionally there are a lot of interesting things going on with the various racing. Its certainly worth coming to.

timg
4th November 2009, 20:38

Ist time for me,very much looking forward to it and the extended ride there & back.....

Anyone else on here going? Ummm yes. Booked ages ago - jeez you slow girl. You adventuring or being an anti social Duc poofta? :dodge:

ynot slow
4th November 2009, 20:48
Leave Hawera early on 26th, to chch, friday to inver via catlins. Rally all weekend. Monday milford and stay in lumnsden, tue crown range, mt cook stay in fairlie, wen to westport, thur up to karamea then havelock, fri come home. 2 hd's, a busa and a trike !

Lucky buggers,have fun.Have ya seen Marty's new beast yet?

nz_rider
4th November 2009, 20:50
Okay.....The rally site is at Sandy Point close to Oreti Beach. This is about 8km west of Invercargill. The beach racing is very close and there is a bus out to the beach. Easy walk to Teretonga and Speedway.

No problem staying on-site at the rally. Plenty of room and large pavilions for gathering together. Plenty of food to buy. There isn't a lot of rally activity in Invercargill itself that I can think of. Santa Parade.

I'm a local but try not to be biased. Its the most well-organised motorcycle rally I've ever been to. Probably because its organised by Venture Southland which is a branch of local government so the details aren't left to lucky volunteers of a bike club. Additionally there are a lot of interesting things going on with the various racing. Its certainly worth coming to.

Cheers for that mate. Do you by any chance know how to go about staying at the rally site, or is it just a turn up on the day and pay the fee sort of arrangement?

helenoftroy
4th November 2009, 21:32
Ummm yes. Booked ages ago - jeez you slow girl. You adventuring or being an anti social Duc poofta? :dodge:

Cheeky beast:bash:

Its the Italian for this one!!!but I'll be on your tail on the DR for the Dusty Butt in the new year!!:devil2::devil2::devil2:

JMemonic
4th November 2009, 21:54
Cheers for that mate. Do you by any chance know how to go about staying at the rally site, or is it just a turn up on the day and pay the fee sort of arrangement?

You turn up pay $55 and you are at the rally, easy as that. See http://www.burtmunrochallenge.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6&Itemid=21 that link for details.

Its a great weekend, cant see anywhere if the toy run is on this year anyone local know?

kit
5th November 2009, 20:38
Its a great weekend, cant see anywhere if the toy run is on this year anyone local know?

Yep Toy Run....leaving rally site sunday 9.00am

XF650
5th November 2009, 20:54
For those going or returning via the East Coast, I recconmend the Trotters Gorge diversion - doesn't add much time, very scenic & heaps of sweet corners.

JMemonic
5th November 2009, 22:30
Yep Toy Run....leaving rally site sunday 9.00am

Cheers for that.

Hinny
6th November 2009, 23:18
For North Islanders FYI:

The Interislander has offered North Islanders a great deal - $35 for your bike and $38 for you (each way). Call 0800 878 898 or visit www.interislander.co.nz for booking information. Quote “Burt Munro Challenge" and "WH5248.” Full terms and conditions are in the event information manual that can be downloaded from the entry forms page on this site.

MD
8th November 2009, 08:51
Oh crap. Mate pre-booked a bunch of us on the ferries while I was overseas. Now I see the Ferry special $146 return for a bike & rider. We paid heaps more. Them the breaks.

Question about motel availability.
Some of our group have booked motels. Me, I want to leave my arrival and departure dates open. Take the roads that appeal to me on the way down, detour when and where I please,. Arrive when I feel like it...find a bed..buy a beer. The relaxed unorganised approach to bike trips.

So what are the chances of finding a motel somewhere in the greater vincinity on the day! I don't do tents or cave living. Nothing flash, so long as it has full room service, in room bar and spa. Just the basics for life support.

kit
8th November 2009, 20:08
Oh crap. Mate pre-booked a bunch of us on the ferries while I was overseas. Now I see the Ferry special $146 return for a bike & rider. We paid heaps more. Them the breaks.

Question about motel availability.
Some of our group have booked motels. Me, I want to leave my arrival and departure dates open. Take the roads that appeal to me on the way down, detour when and where I please,. Arrive when I feel like it...find a bed..buy a beer. The relaxed unorganised approach to bike trips.

So what are the chances of finding a motel somewhere in the greater vincinity on the day! I don't do tents or cave living. Nothing flash, so long as it has full room service, in room bar and spa. Just the basics for life support.

Hmm Who Know! surely you should be able to find something....but there is a hell of a lot of people down and they don't all stay at the site....you might just have to wing it and hope ya get lucky, if you don't want to book.

JMemonic
10th November 2009, 22:41
Anyone got a car travelling from Christchurch to the rally that could take our tent for us?

I know the story about taking everything with you on the bike but would like to try and lighten the load for the rest of the south island trip, we will fit to the bike for the trip back to Christchurch, or alternately a car from the Magpie heading to Invercargill would work.

sparky10
11th November 2009, 17:22
Plenty of motels, not sure of spa baths, u could try Ascot Hotel u pass on way down SH1

McJim
11th November 2009, 17:25
Anyone got a car travelling from Christchurch to the rally that could take our tent for us?

I know the story about taking everything with you on the bike but would like to try and lighten the load for the rest of the south island trip, we will fit to the bike for the trip back to Christchurch, or alternately a car from the Magpie heading to Invercargill would work.

I can give you a loan of a 2 man tent if you like. I won't be using it that weekend.

Spuds1234
11th November 2009, 18:07
Wooohooo. Cant wait. Got my time off from Wednesday so the plan will be to head down the East coast to Queenstown on Wednesday. Thursday night will be spent in Te Anau (after ariving in Te Anau early on Thursday I'll head on down to Milford Sound). Then Friday will be a straight run down to Invercargill.

Its gonna be awesome.

Ocean1
11th November 2009, 18:55
Tight squeeze, but I'm in.

Be the first time I've been home in a while...

GMcC
11th November 2009, 19:28
...... cant remember the bike shop name i think they sold trumphs but they were good buggers

Ha.........If they had anything to do with Triumphs of course they`d be good buggers.......( how does the Speights Ad go? )

We`r heading down again - 9 of us and for sure it`ll be as good as lastime
Long as that wet bit in the West has let up by the time we head back up
Roll on the friggn 25th..........:scooter:

JMemonic
11th November 2009, 21:04
I can give you a loan of a 2 man tent if you like. I won't be using it that weekend.

Might be an option, will talk to the better half, cheers man.

JMemonic
11th November 2009, 21:05
Wooohooo. Cant wait. Got my time off from Wednesday so the plan will be to head down the East coast to Queenstown on Wednesday. Thursday night will be spent in Te Anau (after ariving in Te Anau early on Thursday I'll head on down to Milford Sound). Then Friday will be a straight run down to Invercargill.

Its gonna be awesome.

Your stalking us right, we are intending to spend Thursday night in Te Anau this time.

Spuds1234
12th November 2009, 03:06
Your stalking us right, we are intending to spend Thursday night in Te Anau this time.

No

Maybe.

I knew you were heading down the West Coast for a bit but I didnt know what time and when.

I decided on a route about 5 minutes before posting that post after studying Google Maps for 10 minutes. I was going to go down the West Coast and stay in Haast but I couldnt be farked doing a long hard day in the Saddle doing Christchurch to Haast.

xknuts
12th November 2009, 19:17
Thought I'd have a look this year! Weather dependant of course. :cold:
Is there any Dunedin KB crew leaving on the Friday Morning???

_Shrek_
12th November 2009, 20:44

harden up old man :laugh: i will be in belclutha till about 3pm (sons graduation) can meet you there for a cruzzy ride down :msn-wink:

McJim
12th November 2009, 22:24
Might be an option, will talk to the better half, cheers man.

Can deliver right to the site - but you'll have to put it up y'self (buggered if I'm paying $55 to sleep in a field around the corner from my house!:rofl:)

kiwi cowboy
12th November 2009, 22:30

Yes miss HelenOfTroy i will be there.
Well not at the rally site cos bein freshly wedded the week before well yano:wari:.
But keep an eye out at terotonga and wyndam races for a blue gsxr400 suzuki number 51 in pre89 and you should find me somewere hopfully ontop of it:innocent: so come say hi.:yes:

kiwi cowboy
12th November 2009, 22:43
No

Maybe.

I knew you were heading down the West Coast for a bit but I didnt know what time and when.

I decided on a route about 5 minutes before posting that post after studying Google Maps for 10 minutes. I was going to go down the West Coast and stay in Haast but I couldnt be farked doing a long hard day in the Saddle doing Christchurch to Haast.

Were you lot stayin in te anau i will keep an eye out as were there on thursday night but in a hilux with a race bike on it.

Spuds1234
13th November 2009, 08:23
First camp site I come across in the morning probably.

Sounds like it could be a good night in Te Anau on Thursday.

helenoftroy
13th November 2009, 10:50
Yes miss HelenOfTroy i will be there.
Well not at the rally site cos bein freshly wedded the week before well yano:wari:.
But keep an eye out at terotonga and wyndam races for a blue gsxr400 suzuki number 51 in pre89 and you should find me somewere hopfully ontop of it:innocent: so come say hi.:yes:
Hiya Buddy!Your racing!isnt it awesome?:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

hey....will definitely catch up & be looking out for you(nice bike!Id love a pre'82 or a pre'89 to up the track time.....XL/XR500 like I used to own as a teenager!!I would love that:devil2:)

Newly wedded eh!!congratulations!!:bye:

EgliHonda
13th November 2009, 12:06
(buggered if I'm paying $55 to sleep in a field around the corner from my house!:rofl:)

That's exactly what I'm doing...
:laugh:
Does sound funny when you put it like that.

Maido
13th November 2009, 13:34
Hi guys, good to see so many heading down our way! hopefully the weather will stop what it is doing now and clean up its act!
A few other things going on in the week leading to the weekend if you are thinking of heading down a bit earlier.

On the wednesday and thursday (25th 26th) Honda riders club are having a rider training day at teretonga featuring Aaron Slight, Craig Sherriffs and Hayden Fitzgerald. Everyone is welcome. It has a road bike focus on the wednesday and race focus on the thursday. We are on the track from 9am till 5pm both days so there is pleanty of kms to be done on the worlds southernmost FIA circuit. It is one of the best in the country, nice smooth grippy surface, lots of run off and one of the biggest corners in the country, it is awesome! Anyone who has been to an HRC training day knows how fun they are! for more details ring or email rob on 07 3774215 or rob@hrcnz.co.nz, places will fill up fast!

On the wednesday night, we (Southland Honda) are having a pickle and onion night at the shop (77 Clyde street). This will entail food and drinks supplied (god what have we got ourselves into!) and will just be a bit of a get together and a place to hang out, probably from 5pm to 10pm depending on how we go! We also have a Honda powered one wheeler for you to come and try out, should be a blast! There is rumour of a lemon tree to pee on as well!

The thursday night will feature "A night with Aaron Slight and Andrew Stroud" at the Ascot Park Hotel. Tickets are $40 and are available at Southland Honda and Insite at the museum. Basically it is Aaron and Andrew having a chat about their life and carreers in racing at home and abroad, it should be a very interesting night. Supper is provided.

I don't even need to go into the displays that E Hayes and sons have, which feature the original indian etc, you can't miss them if you come down! The shop alone takes all day to get around if you like hardware stores with history!

I tell you this thing is not only a weekend now, it is turing into speed week! It is starting to become a very large event and is well worth attending.
I hope to see alot of you down here! I will be racing at Tereronga, CBR600 number 7, come and have a chat!

Thanks
Jeremy

Kemet
14th November 2009, 17:09

I'm heading down on Thursday night after work at this stage....

kiwi cowboy
14th November 2009, 20:00
Hiya Buddy!Your racing!isnt it awesome?:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo:

hey....will definitely catch up & be looking out for you(nice bike!Id love a pre'82 or a pre'89 to up the track time.....XL/XR500 like I used to own as a teenager!!I would love that:devil2:)

Newly wedded eh!!congratulations!!:bye:

Yes racing is the biz and even came 2nd in pre89 terotonga winter series on shit wet tracks.:woohoo:.

Why not motard the dr they go allright. GAZBUR i think he is on here does ok on his in motard.

Otherwise you can enter have a go class at terotonga:yes:go on i dear ya:love:but hey if you dont want to im sure i could show the duc around the track for ya:yes::innocent:

helenoftroy
14th November 2009, 23:15
Yes racing is the biz and even came 2nd in pre89 terotonga winter series on shit wet tracks.:woohoo:.

Why not motard the dr they go allright. GAZBUR i think he is on here does ok on his in motard.

Otherwise you can enter have a go class at terotonga:yes:go on i dear ya:love:but hey if you dont want to im sure i could show the duc around the track for ya:yes::innocent:
Have thought bout motard option but my DRs done 53k!prolly getting a bit tired for the track!Gazbur is an inspiration tho.....awesome what hes doing & sounds like another couple of southerners are just about ready to start racing their DRs:yes:

Im sure the Duc would love a gallop around Teretonga!!!!:devil2::devil2::devil2:

hayd3n
15th November 2009, 00:40

ill be goin for a day ride to the Wyndham street races !!!

Kemet
15th November 2009, 19:53
Beginning to wonder if I should ask for a couple of extra days off.

xknuts
15th November 2009, 20:04
: i will be in belclutha till about 3pm (sons graduation) can meet you there for a cruzzy ride down :msn-wink:

Ill prob be passed through Balclutha by then, but I call ya if not.

JimO
15th November 2009, 21:18
cold wet and windy there today

JMemonic
23rd November 2009, 10:25
On the road, several hours later than intended, Picton here we come.

EgliHonda
23rd November 2009, 10:57
Beeyootiful day yesterday, after a week of horrible winds, about 23 deg out there today (Mon) and very pleasant. :cool:

Unfortunately, forecast is ratshit for Friday, about 8 degrees...? :cold: Hoping this is a normal forecasting cock-up and things will be ok for the weekend...

Spuds1234
23rd November 2009, 16:00
On the road, several hours later than intended, Picton here we come.

Who broke down? Who forgot to pack?

Kemet
23rd November 2009, 16:44
Beeyootiful day yesterday, after a week of horrible winds, about 23 deg out there today (Mon) and very pleasant. :cool:

Unfortunately, forecast is ratshit for Friday, about 8 degrees...? :cold: Hoping this is a normal forecasting cock-up and things will be ok for the weekend...

Long range forecasts are generally crap. pays to look at the weather maps and satellite pics yourself

JMemonic
24th November 2009, 06:18
Who broke down? Who forgot to pack?

Not any of the first, the second holds a little weight.

mulletman
24th November 2009, 13:55
So im going down Horse Range Rd right ?? and its all sealed ?? leaving 2moro !

JMemonic
24th November 2009, 19:40
Greymouth currently, loads of bikes on the road, also loads of road works on both coasts so if you are coming through there take care.

helenoftroy
24th November 2009, 19:56
Getting closer!...really looking forward to this!:2thumbsup

Our group(Timg is joining us)head off Friday morning...Invercargill via the Catlins

Keep looking at the forcast & getting out an extra layer to pack,the wets are organised.....nearly time to ride!!:banana:

_Shrek_
24th November 2009, 20:29
Long range forecasts are generally crap. pays to look at the weather maps and satellite pics yourself

Y bother looking at the weather map etc.. if you're going who cares wot the weathers doing :baby:

k14
24th November 2009, 20:43
I'll be racing at teretonga on sat. Number 14 in F3, come and say hi if you are there!! Fingers crossed for sunny skies!

helenoftroy
25th November 2009, 04:10
I'll be racing at teretonga on sat. Number 14 in F3, come and say hi if you are there!! Fingers crossed for sunny skies!
We will come & see you!:2thumbsup

Great write-up from Greymouth street races by the way K14!!...:scooter::scooter:

mulletman
25th November 2009, 17:56
So ok the Trotters Gorge IS sealed , narrow but a nice small detour all the same.
The WIND holyshit from about Milton to where im staying 2nite (Gore)is craaazzeee oh and a bit wet , still a great day riding.:msn-wink:

Wingnut
26th November 2009, 05:35
So ok the Trotters Gorge IS sealed , narrow but a nice small detour all the same.
The WIND holyshit from about Milton to where im staying 2nite (Gore)is craaazzeee oh and a bit wet , still a great day riding.:msn-wink:

Yep it is definately sealed. Been through there many a time. Definately more interesting than taking the coast.

Winston001
26th November 2009, 13:47
Sunny but very blustery in Invercargill at the moment. Happily the organisers have the giant pavilions set up as usual so plenty of shelter.

scumdog
26th November 2009, 16:00
Windy-as up in th eRiviera of the Sout, got a txt from IDB saying he wouldn't be surprised if a bike or two ended up being blown off the road, take it easy and be careful folks.

OH, and a bajillion bikes have passed Chez Scumdog heading for the Burt Munro today.:woohoo:

xknuts
26th November 2009, 17:07

Careful thru there, Thats where it all went tits up for me!:crybaby:

Subike
26th November 2009, 17:27
I can not afford to go to this event, but every year I enjoy it in a different way than most.
I work in a Vineyard just north of Amberley, the estate boarders on SH1 for over kilometer.
Every day this week, I have had the sound of hundreds of bikes going past me, some solo, some in groups of 3-4, some groups of 15-20.
As it is the open road, and only 1K from the Waipara turnoff to hamner, the sounds of these bikes accelerating up across the Waipara bridge reverberates around the Waipara valley basin.
It is music to me a biker, in an enviroment that normally only has the background noise of big rigs rumbling down the highway, the distant sound of jets flying overhead, or the noisy clatter of tractors working the fields.
Most of the time all I hear is the gabble of the magpies, the songs of the skylarks and the twitter of the pied stilts.
But then comes bike ralley time,
All day long the throbbing of the V Twins, the high screem of the little sports bikes, the snarl of the tripples, the howl of the big in lines fours, shatter the air with their song.
I look up from my toil in the 1k long rows of Grapevines, and watch with unbaiest envey these kinfolk of mine enjoying the late spring weather on a sunny day,I know that next week, monday tuesday and maybe wedensday for the stragglers, I will hear this sound again.
The Bert Monro, yeap I would love to go to the ralley, but then I would miss the song of the bikes in North Canterbury.
Maybe one day, the biker gods will let me win Lotto, and I can afford the time off work.
Till then, I will buy my lotto ticket, listen to the music of the steel horses on SH1 heading south for a party, and dream.

normajeane
26th November 2009, 19:34
But then comes bike ralley time,
All day long the throbbing of the V Twins, the high screem of the little sports bikes, the snarl of the tripples, the howl of the big in lines fours, shatter the air with their song.

Till then, I will buy my lotto ticket, listen to the music of the steel horses on SH1 heading south for a party, and dream.

Yeah, we hear the noise also, shitty weather but not that tempting to get on bike tonight! Maybe tomorrow, but it will only be a day ride....
Can't wait for the Kopara run. Look forward to catching up with the motley crew again, i ring the crackers woops the marshmallows!:whistle:

hayd3n
26th November 2009, 19:48
so im goin to wyndham saturday have a place to stay 300 metres from the track any one wanna come down it saves the early morning ride

timg
26th November 2009, 20:43
Yeah, we hear the noise also, shitty weather but not that tempting to get on bike tonight! Maybe tomorrow, but it will only be a day ride....
Can't wait for the Kopara run. Look forward to catching up with the motley crew again, i ring the crackers woops the marshmallows!:whistle: Who you calling motley young lady :oi-grr: All packed and ready for the Burt tomorrow :woohoo:

JMemonic
26th November 2009, 20:51
Who you calling motley young lady :oi-grr: All packed and ready for the Burt tomorrow :woohoo:

In Ta Anau, been nice here today, will be looking forward to getting to the rally site in the afternoon, keep your eyes open for three posties that have made it from Wellington.

hayd3n
26th November 2009, 21:01
In Ta Anau, been nice here today, will be looking forward to getting to the rally site in the afternoon, keep your eyes open for three posties that have made it from Wellington.

se u at the bert m8 pm me ur cell

Ruralman
26th November 2009, 22:19
I rode from Dunedin out to the farm this morning - fark it was windy. Quite a few bikes around and all struggling with the wind. the worst bit was probably the Clarkesville Straight after I turned off onto SH8 - dead side on and bloody gusty, up till then it had been mostly head on.

The thing that cracked me up most was passing a bike with a sidecar attached - I'm bloody certain the bike was a GN250 !!!!

Take care tomorrow - high winds in the morning - clearing to rain!!

_Shrek_
27th November 2009, 07:32
I'm at chez scumdogs having bacon & eggs, :drool: good to see that (normajean is well trained)

no wind high cloud & cool other than that bring it on :wari:

scumdog
27th November 2009, 08:14
Just cycled back from the main drag of Riviera of the South - about 20+ bikes parked up outside the various brekky places, wish I was with them..

No wind but the odd spot of rain.

Coldrider
27th November 2009, 09:52
Nice day in invers today, for us north islanders, warm wind at the mo, hill climb cold yesterday. Beer is just the right temp.

EgliHonda
27th November 2009, 10:13
Beer is just the right temp.

Ha, great way to look on the bright side, nice work... :apint:

Coldrider
27th November 2009, 10:16
Ha, great way to look on the bright side, nice work... :apint:Yeah priorities and all that, though I will have to be pissed to use the communal shower.

Ruralman
27th November 2009, 11:47
Yeah priorities and all that, though I will have to be pissed to use the communal shower.

Don't drop the soap :gob:

Heaps of bikes from Dunedin to Milton this morning and nice riding conditions. The wind picks up every now and then but nothing too serious. Very envious. Sounds like it should be a great weekend
Going to have to go next year.....................

scumdog
27th November 2009, 12:44
Been down the main drag again, still heaps of south-bound bikes - but take care, already one bin just north of Chez Scumdog, a junior rider, minor injuries but still best not to bin in any case eh!

EgliHonda
27th November 2009, 15:00
Just back from rally site. Wind has dropped, but it's a bit 'spitty'...

OK it's pissing down, not too heavy in reality, and quite warm but wet nonetheless. The marquee will be fairly popular I think... Good numbers turning up though, can only hope things improve a bit. Decided not to camp out tonight and suffered the arduous 5km ride home to a warm shower, will prob camp out tomorrow as the speedway is a good show.

Popped into the vintage bike display in the Otatara hall (opposite Ziffs) for a look (biased, have a bike in it) and good selection of bikes in there to have a look at, well worth a look as proceeds go towards prostrate cancer.
cough* (vote for #72) *cough

Hope all visitors have a great time and ride safely on the wet stuff...

Winston001
27th November 2009, 21:01
Just back myself from the rally and didn't spot any KBers but looked like Nighthawk's ST4S outside the pavilion. Weather has calmed down, no rain, reasonably dry underfoot, with a slight breeze. The first band were going strong and there looked to be about a 1000 people in the tent. What impressed me was the great atmosphere among everyone. Lots of laughter and happy looking bikers. :yes:

scumdog
28th November 2009, 01:46
A Beemer and a Hog went down in the same piece of road south of Riviera of the South yesterday arvo.

Apparently hit a very smooth section of flat tar during a rainstorm, keep you eyespeeled for that sort of thing.

A pillion was choppered to Dunedin - but in not too much of a mess I heard.

EgliHonda
28th November 2009, 13:23
Well the old weather improved, just back from a cruise, not many bikes at the site cos Teretonga still going and speedway beginning at 5. Lots of bikes round town, heaps in at Hayes having a gander at the displays (gotta be the best hardware store anywhere). It's a big weekend really, looking fwd to speedway and Wyndham tomorrow... Will try and post any decent pics I get :soon: just too much to see at the moment.

_Shrek_
29th November 2009, 18:27
A Beemer and a Hog went down in the same piece of road south of Riviera of the South yesterday arvo.

Apparently hit a very smooth section of flat tar during a rainstorm, keep you eyespeeled for that sort of thing.

A pillion was choppered to Dunedin - but in not too much of a mess I heard.

it wern't me scummy home safe :whistle:

JimO
29th November 2009, 18:41
My boy Aaron and his mate Aaron went and had a ball, the wind down was a chore but he said they got blown home

xknuts
29th November 2009, 19:08

Yeah, saw the Harley in the ditch, and while sheltering at the Oaktree Inn, Clinton we got the word about the BMW. :doctor:

Quite the worst conditions I've ever ridden in. I've had wind before but not that blustery and wet! Got caught out on one corner, so breathed a sigh that no vehicle was coming in other direction. :nono:
It was a battle from Clinton to Invercargill.

PLUS a full on Drink Bus checkpoint at Edendale SH1 in the howling rain! My Officer was very unimpressed with his BOSS! :Police:

EgliHonda
29th November 2009, 19:28
More pics, order a bit random sorry...

EgliHonda
29th November 2009, 19:31
pics again...

EgliHonda
29th November 2009, 19:34
and some more...

EgliHonda
29th November 2009, 19:38
still more, focussed on the classics really...

EgliHonda
29th November 2009, 19:46
And the last, if anyone wants a pic of a particular bike/rider I may have it, these are just a quick selection...

EgliHonda
1st December 2009, 09:13
Oh, some bloke's Harley was stolen by some form of scum over the weekend :angry2: apart from that (commiserations btw) and a couple of dingles on the way into town I thnk all the press was positive, and the city really enjoyed the vibe (literally in some cases) of having so many bikes/riders in town. I went for a cruise on Saturday and was amazed at the amount of bikes down Dee st, every cafe was packed, pubs were flat out with meals etc, accommodation was chokka and it looked like the kids (and a few dads) were loving the spectacle...

There's talk of making a speed week out of the occasion, which would be fantastic as more events and reserve days could be held, and the party atmosphere could be spread out a bit, without the pressure to rush back home/to work on the sunday. Well done to all who attended, and thanks for the good behaviour, can only be good when trying to gain support for our choice of lifestyle...
:yes:

Rhubarb
1st December 2009, 10:16
Well done to all who attended, and thanks for the good behaviour, can only be good when trying to gain support for our choice of lifestyle...
:yes:

We had a fantastic weekend. The people of Invercargill were very welcoming. All the locals we talked to enjoyed having the bikes/riders in town and they spoke very highly of the way the rally goers conduct themselves.

They enjoyed having us and we enjoyed being there.

Unfortunatley, a gentleman in a tent not too far from us passed away on Friday night despite the excellent efforts of the officials, a Doctor, ambulance staff and other riders who maintained CPR and Mouth-to-Mouth for about an hour.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Okey Dokey
1st December 2009, 14:40
This was my fourth Burt Munro. Headed south via Lindis Pass, Te Anau & Tuatapere. Man the wind was blowing. What a ride!

Freezing at the hill climb but the competitors were fantastic. What a great addition to the weekend.

Pity about the beach racing, but 3 outta 4 years ain't bad...good call by the organisers, really they had no choice.

Teretonga awesome, speedway awesome, and I just love Wyndham. I have to admit I felt a bit like a reptile this weekend, however. Outside: spectate for a few hours or ride and feel cold, then: warm up with coffee. Repeat all weekend.

Came back home via raes Junction & Dunedin, rainy so took it easy.

Anyway, many thanks to everyone involved who makes this rally possible. It is the best and I'll be back for more "Southland Summer" next year!

kiwi cowboy
1st December 2009, 20:01
And the last, if anyone wants a pic of a particular bike/rider I may have it, these are just a quick selection...

Got any of no 51 in pre 89s?

helenoftroy
1st December 2009, 23:33
Unfortunatley, a gentleman in a tent not too far from us passed away on Friday night despite the excellent efforts of the officials, a Doctor, ambulance staff and other riders who maintained CPR and Mouth-to-Mouth for about an hour.

My condolences to his family and friends.
There was nothing more we could do for the man with no defibrilator at the site,very very sad outcome.....

Apart from the above I had an absolutely fantastic time at my first Burt,just home tonight after taking in Milford,Queenstown,Crown range(Cardrona Hotel was a great place to stay) & thru the Lindis.Next year we will take a week...:done:

Awesome atmosphere in Invercargill,and really enjoyed each event & socialising & meeting fellow riders from all over NZ

That wind on Friday was the most challenging Ive ever experienced,character building to say the least!!:no:

Fantastic event & trip...

paulmac
2nd December 2009, 06:31

Got any of #66 binning in the f3's at Wyndham ??

EgliHonda
2nd December 2009, 07:07
Re pic requests, I'll have a look on the laptop when I get home. I didn't get every race as had the missus and daughter in tow.
If I don't have a shot good chance someone else who was there may have it...

hayd3n
2nd December 2009, 22:03
the famous brtiten

Dodger
7th December 2009, 09:55
the famous brtiten

My shot.........