PDA

View Full Version : whats the most you've exceeded the...

gamgee
20th April 2005, 22:51
recommended speed for a corner by?
i went round a 30 corner at 70 today, felt pretty comfortable to, could probably push it to 80

Motu
20th April 2005, 23:53
To the point where I fell off...this is more important than figures....

bugjuice
21st April 2005, 00:05
most people double it, then use your best judgement (may be knock a few k off)..

saiko
21st April 2005, 00:40
There's a corner south of Picton, maybe closer to Kaikoura, where it goes out to the sea, then dog legs back inland. It's a 25k corner, & the only one in the country I usually take at around 25kph!

Jeremy
21st April 2005, 09:26
35km/h one at 80km/h. Though you could probably have taken it easily at a 100.

Sniper
21st April 2005, 12:25
There's a corner south of Picton, maybe closer to Kaikoura, where it goes out to the sea, then dog legs back inland. It's a 25k corner, & the only one in the country I usually take at around 25kph!

Its just past Kaikoura, fuken great but do 25km hour or you will know about it!!!

wildcat_lgf
21st April 2005, 14:06
There's a great little corner out in Clevedon way that makes me feel manly!

Its a 45km/h corner but it hardly curves and I've taken it at 90km/h in the cage...not even scary. Just goes to show that some of LTSA's road markings are a bit off!

Especially since there is a corner where everyone crashes just heading out from suburbia into rural lands (point view drive in Howick heading out Whitford Rd). Speed limit changes from 50km/hr to 80km/h just before this steep corner (which is always wet and has pot-holes in it)...anyway thats my 2c worth.

JohnBoy
21st April 2005, 14:34
Its a 45km/h corner but it hardly curves and I've taken it at 90km/h in the cage...not even scary. Just goes to show that some of LTSA's road markings are a bit off!

they are actually set by the local council... but that dosn't mean they know what they are doing either. most probably not changed since the road was realighned in the past, happens all the time.

ok.. with the bike i work on the principal of double all signs (upto 65km) and then its not much more than that.
there is a corner just out of P north (by Longburn) where i have consistantly gone thourgh a 35 at just over 100. :ride:

FlyingDutchMan
21st April 2005, 14:52
Over took a car and realised that there was a long 65 corner in front of me... no choice but to roll off a bit and tip it in. Came out the other side at 130 and a big grin. It gave me a bit more confidence on my arrowmax :sick: rear tyre.

Sparky Bills
21st April 2005, 15:15
they are actually set by the local council... but that dosn't mean they know what they are doing either. most probably not changed since the road was realighned in the past, happens all the time.

ok.. with the bike i work on the principal of double all signs (upto 65km) and then its not much more than that.
there is a corner just out of P north (by Longburn) where i have consistantly gone thourgh a 35 at just over 100. :ride:

Is that the one I ride round the outside of you in??? :whistle:

Coldkiwi
21st April 2005, 16:06
on a decent road ride,typically double the posted spped... but on the corners I'm really going for i don't really have time to look at the speedo!

John
21st April 2005, 16:21
I just look at the corner to judge the speed, I normally miss the posted speed signs.

I like my method, if the corner looks abit off camber or such then I will slow down abit from my current speed or keep the gas on, I barely look at my speedo in corner.

404error
21st April 2005, 17:36
When I was in mexico we took the tol road in a rental van. The road was straight as an arrow with no one on it except a light peppering of tour busses. Along the road there were signs saying stuff in spanish, some would translate to "respect the signs" and another "obey the signs." Generally repeating themselves until one said "DANGEROUS CURVE AHEAD." To realise that a curve was really there, you'd need a surveyer. Oh. Another sign translated to "Do not molest the signs." :lol:

Jantar
21st April 2005, 17:47
Interesting that anyone who is really riding hard through a corner has time to look at the speedo part way through.

I normally feel quite safe entering a curve by treating the warning sign as though it was mph not kmh. ie about 60% faster. It is quite common though to exit the corner at double the posted speed. If I find that I am entering the corner at a higher speed than feels comfortable, then I do not look at the speedo. I just keep my eyes focused as far ahead through the bend that I can. Always look at the exit and where you want to go.... Never let your eyes drift.

As a few others have already mentioned there are some corners that should be taken at the posted speed. I know of a couple on the west coast that say 15 kmh, and that is pretty well what I slow down to. :cool:

dveus
21st April 2005, 17:50
There's a great little corner out in Clevedon way that makes me feel manly!

Would that be a downhill left hander heading from brookby across to clevedon? If so I still haven't figured out why that one is marked 45. It is somewhat blind which I think may have something to do with it.

gamgee
21st April 2005, 21:37
Interesting that anyone who is really riding hard through a corner has time to look at the speedo part way through.

I normally feel quite safe entering a curve by treating the warning sign as though it was mph not kmh. ie about 60% faster. It is quite common though to exit the corner at double the posted speed. If I find that I am entering the corner at a higher speed than feels comfortable, then I do not look at the speedo. I just keep my eyes focused as far ahead through the bend that I can. Always look at the exit and where you want to go.... Never let your eyes drift.

As a few others have already mentioned there are some corners that should be taken at the posted speed. I know of a couple on the west coast that say 15 kmh, and that is pretty well what I slow down to. :cool:

yeah of course, you should only do it on ones that you know well enough to judge the speed or as in post 2 you end up falling off... and as for looking at the speedo, on the sr250 its basically just a quick flick of the eyes down to look then back onto focused straight in front, i don't think i should push that corner i'm talking about more than 70 though aye, i'm getting pretty hard angles on and don't really want to do drop knee in a pair of jeans :niceone:

wildcat_lgf
21st April 2005, 22:41
Would that be a downhill left hander heading from brookby across to clevedon? If so I still haven't figured out why that one is marked 45. It is somewhat blind which I think may have something to do with it.

Yep thats the one, yeah you could be right, the blindness could mean a lower speed posted...it still makes me feel manly when I speed through it though :banana: Plus you get a bit of a flying effect over the rise...there's some lovely roads out that way...

I haven't been on it yet (bikes still in a couple of pieces) but can't wiat to ride the scenic route from Clevedon to Brookby (via Starlight Rd or Sunset Rd, ahhh Twilight Rd - thats the one)

It has some awesome corners and gorgeous scenery :2thumbsup

Grumpy
22nd April 2005, 00:03
When we was young fellas we used to try to double them. Didn't take long too long to realise that wasn't a very smart game.
The mother was probably wondering why all the skid marks in the daks. No, wasn't because I was just a lazy prick and couldn't be fucked going to the crapper.... it was those corners marked 80 k's... :eek5:

Grumpy
22nd April 2005, 00:06
I haven't been on it yet (bikes still in a couple of pieces) but can't wiat to ride the scenic route from Clevedon to Brookby (via Starlight Rd or Sunset Rd, ahhh Twilight Rd - thats the one)

It has some awesome corners and gorgeous scenery :2thumbsup

Watch that Twilight Rd scenery.....manage to plant myself in one of those hedges a few years ago. Not the best way get back to nature.

Gremlin
22nd April 2005, 02:03
Oh yes, twilight road is beautiful, but try riding it on a bicycle for training. Then its not so fun. I was always shit scared I would be hit in the back by some vehicle hugging the corner.

Twilight Road was a first gear slog... but very beautiful

dveus
22nd April 2005, 09:51
Twilight Rd is indeed one of my favourties. It was alot better before it was recently resealed, tis quite slippery now. Its also not much fun when its dark, had a couple of "oh shit" moments.

mikey
5th May 2005, 14:11
id have to say im faaaaaaaaaarkin lucky if i even get UP to the recommended corner speeds,

normally cruise along the motorway behind pedal pushers, sometimes get overtaken,

Posh Tourer :P
6th May 2005, 04:57

I know both those points.... Scenic Drive just after Arataki has a similar corner. Posted 35, but can be taken at 120. Unfortunately, the sign should be on the NEXT corner, unsigned, but certainly a 35 corner (ie taken at 60ish), tightening and with crappy seal on the inside....

myvice
13th June 2005, 19:19
Yay Twilight Rd, I often take that way home as a shortcut, adds about 15ks to my 30k ride home from work... If you keep going to Kawakawa Bay and then on to Orere Pt/Kaiaua you can hang a left just past Kaiaua you will end up back in Hunua then home. I love that circut so giz a call any time if you want company. Karl 021-362226 or 2666444.

Squiggles
29th June 2005, 13:54

omg, i've only ever been that way once and i know exactly which corner you mean! :shit:

Speedy
29th June 2005, 22:16
im up on the hibiscus coast and on east coast bays road bettween(cant spell) silverdale and northcross theres 2 particular corners one after the other both are marked 50kph (northcross end) on a dry good day if i hany my arse off the bike i can go through the 2 at 100 or 120 but the fact im pushing it means i dnt look at the speedo the road markings are kinda only for cars in wet weather not bikes but it does pay 2 take them into consideration they are there 4 a reason.

SixPackBack
29th June 2005, 22:29
im up on the hibiscus coast and on east coast bays road bettween(cant spell) silverdale and northcross theres 2 particular corners one after the other both are marked 50kph (northcross end) on a dry good day if i hany my arse off the bike i can go through the 2 at 100 or 120 but the fact im pushing it means i dnt look at the speedo the road markings are kinda only for cars in wet weather not bikes but it does pay 2 take them into consideration they are there 4 a reason.
watch that stretch of road i travel it twice a day. Often there is soil and shit on the road, i've also had a donkey presenting itself at the top of the hill twice now, once doing 130k.....couldnt stop, the fucker jus stood there like a stunned mullet

Jay widda 150
22nd July 2005, 11:37
has no one worked out yet that those prettty yelow signs are for articulated trucks? cars go 1.5 times and yes bikes can get away with about 2-2.5 times the post. have you seen those dopey signs trougha cbd? no they are for trucks and trailers dudes

zadok
22nd July 2005, 13:04
has no one worked out yet that those prettty yelow signs are for articulated trucks? cars go 1.5 times and yes bikes can get away with about 2-2.5 times the post.
Never heard that one before. Needless to say bikes can get away with a lot faster speed, but I treat the sign as a bit of a gauge to how tight the bend might be, especially when the road is unfamiliar to me.

Motoracer
22nd July 2005, 13:12
has no one worked out yet that those prettty yelow signs are for articulated trucks? cars go 1.5 times and yes bikes can get away with about 2-2.5 times the post. have you seen those dopey signs trougha cbd? no they are for trucks and trailers dudes

In the rode code it says that the recommended speed is for the worst possible conditions at that section of the road. When it says 45K corner, for the average Joe driving/riding through in heavy rain etc, that's pleanty fast enough. I know people can always go faster but it is only safe to do so if they have the skills.

BTW, TS and F/F who both drive trucks have told me that the speed limit around corners become fairly accurate for the truck and trailers.

marty
22nd July 2005, 13:53
once upon a time, in my old skyline, in the valley at the north end of the bulls straights (has been filled/bridged now), after huge SLOW DOWN NOW signs, i hit the 55 k corner at about 130. thought WTF??? TOO EASY!!!!. oops. that was for the the next corner. 55k corner alright, onto a narrow bridge. slid out, backwards thru the bridge at about 100kmh, stalled it, j-turned, bump started and drove off. took it easy all the way until the hill out of turangi on the western bypass, where i had a blow out and put it in the ditch.

so yeah - about that fast.

oh and there was the guys from local bike shop test riding shop/customer bikes, who took a 90k corner a little fast, one of them didn't quite make it. from memory that speed was around 200kmh

ManDownUnder
22nd July 2005, 13:59
To the point where I fell off...this is more important than figures....

But I have to agree with Motu...

justsomeguy
22nd July 2005, 14:00
The fastest I've been around corners is with a mate as a passenger in his 1986 naturally aspirated MR2, we were regularly taking 45 corners around 110 and flying through 35 corners at around 80 or so............

He's an amateur rally driver with bout 20 years tarmac and off-road rally experience.

rammstein636
22nd July 2005, 20:58
I went around a corner that said stop once. If your good at maths you'll know this is infinitely faster than suggested. I'm the man.

Lee Rusty
22nd July 2005, 21:14
are not put up for bikes they are for large heavy vehicles who will roll over if they exceed them. Bikes will high or lo side, cars who over cook it will slide,
Trucks can't slide they roll over. So what you are saying is you can go around a corner faster than a truck - im impressed.

Pathos
5th August 2005, 17:32
The first time I took our mazda bongo van to pick up dad after only riding my bike I almost crossed over the center line during a corner.

forgot you had to brake for the corners. The only word to describe that vans handling is 'plough'.

unhingedlizard
5th August 2005, 22:13
There is a corner on the way up Glenshee north of Blairgowrie in scotland. We used to call it 'the corkscrew' after the infamous corner at Laguna Seca. This corner had four HUGE yellow signs before it warning of it. it was a slight rise before a sharp dip and at the bottom of this sharp dip was a reasonably tight right hand corner. You get the line right you could gas it over the hill and be sweet. So many people didnt. the road was a fast flowing road up to that point. A lot of people would come outta the right before it and hug the centreline over the crest. Cars were OK as they generally didnt get air but bikes (even a guy on a bigg BMW died as a result) would get airbourne, see the corner and not be able to land, scrub off enough speed and turn in time. Big rocks where i used to live.

scumdog
5th August 2005, 22:16
170kph+ at a 85kph corner in a 'work' car, could have been quicker if the bloddy cockies hadn't dragged so much mud&shit out onto the road from their paddock, opposite lock only goes so far :no: .

Made it easier to keep up with the 'hot' Nissan I was 'following' :whistle:

GN1NiteStnd
24th August 2005, 09:25
Well wif my learness i felt pretty chuffed when i went round a 55km/h corner at 70km/h. twas an accident yet a feat none the less! :ride:

loosebruce
25th August 2005, 15:39
If i'm to go quicker than normal on the road, i dont use any formula to suggested speeds for corners, more so use the signs as referance points, i can usually recognise the corner via the sign and know what i'm up for, tightens, opens, flowing, brake like fuck, most roads i ride i only have to do it once or twice to pick up on any corners that might catch me out. But remebering the road is the key.
It's best not too go by the whole double the speed and you'll be sweet, you just dont know, learn the road first, then try it on

White trash
25th August 2005, 17:57
I've attempted a 65kph at 220. That was a bit of a laugh.

GN1NiteStnd
29th August 2005, 09:19
Makes my 70k cournering skills seem sum what insignificant. oh well, at least i havent come off yet. -that is, i havent come off at get speed yet.
cant say im looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by White trash
I've attempted a 65kph at 220. That was a bit of a laugh.
:gob:

Sparky Bills
29th August 2005, 09:24
Theres one out back of Waikanae, It says 70, but my flat mate could go past it at about 220. :wait:
mmmm... :weird:
what more can i say?

wyatt
10th September 2005, 02:46
But could you have changed your line if say a dickhead was coming the other way in a car using a bit of your lane?? Always ride at about 80% of your abilaty, just incase you need to pull up quickly or change your line. And try doing a few ridedays at you local race track then you will c how good/ fast you can take corners safely.
Wyatt

Salival
11th September 2005, 17:57
There's a corner near the end of the Wainuiomata coast road that's signposted at 25k - you better believe it and slow down or you'll hit a fence, leave your bike in the fence and drop over a steep bank about 10m into a shallow river.

And probably your grave.

It's been known to happen.

As for me - I'm too busy watching the road, really. Whatever feels right. I know my bike has more ability than I do at this point so I don't really push it very hard.

White trash
11th September 2005, 19:16
Theres one out back of Waikanae, It says 70, but my flat mate could go past it at about 220. :wait:
mmmm... :weird:
what more can i say?

If it says "70" it's a speed limit sign and it's there for a reason. Corner advisable speed signs are posted in 10kph intervals but end in 5 eg: 45, 55, 65.

Right Charlie
11th September 2005, 22:10
Well with due consideration to my "Arrowmax's" :chase:

If the adviser is less than 35k, i sit about 10k above it. (Bar the previously mentioned 25k ers South of Kaikoura, i think they were serious when they stuck them up...)

If its new territory, and up till that corner the road has been good surface 30kph over is the starting point, once i know what im in for, i increase to somthing a little more exciting.
If its new territory and the surface has been dodgy, ruts, uneven what ever, 10k above the first time.

Coatsville highway is my favourite play ground in auckland, well the upper section of it anyway, before Coatsville is a much nicer surface, not necessary to dip below 100kph before then.

placidfemme
12th September 2005, 09:59
*is a bit slow*

the most I've exceeded the speed limit... on a 100kph road was 170kph so by 70kph :)

*is proud of my little achievment*

mikey
12th September 2005, 12:41
yeh as i said im pretty fucking lucky if i get up to the recommended corner speed, i think you all should watch your dangerous riding and stop treating the roads like a race track you bunch of hooligans

Sniper
12th September 2005, 13:12
yeh as i said im pretty fucking lucky if i get up to the recommended corner speed, i think you all should watch your dangerous riding and stop treating the roads like a race track you bunch of hooligans

Says the man who.............. :bleh:

Salival
15th September 2005, 15:43
Apparently, they have a very scientific method for determining the speed which is signposted at corners. It takes into account the angle of the corner, road camber, etc etc and in theory doesn't allow for any driver ability like apexing the corner or executing it in any fashion other than just following the arc of the corner in the way that least helps your rubber grip the road.

Hence, why the hell do they have these massive variances in the corner speed postings? From what I've read here, there are some 35k corners you can easily do at 70 (and I can think of at least half a dozen which fit this) and there are some that you better be doing less than 45k or you're going end up fuct.

They should get a system where it's at least consistent. It would be a damn site safer. I know people should always take caution on unfamiliar roads but there are countless people out there who don't, and it would really help if they had a good indication of what was actually coming up on the road.

Motoracer
15th September 2005, 15:45
If it says "70" it's a speed limit sign and it's there for a reason. Corner advisable speed signs are posted in 10kph intervals but end in 5 eg: 45, 55, 65.

What e sed...

Pathos
17th September 2005, 15:47
Apparently, they have a very scientific method for determining the speed which is signposted at corners. It takes into account the angle of the corner, road camber, etc etc and in theory doesn't allow for any driver ability like apexing the corner or executing it in any fashion other than just following the arc of the corner in the way that least helps your rubber grip the road.

Hence, why the hell do they have these massive variances in the corner speed postings? From what I've read here, there are some 35k corners you can easily do at 70 (and I can think of at least half a dozen which fit this) and there are some that you better be doing less than 45k or you're going end up fuct.

They should get a system where it's at least consistent. It would be a damn site safer. I know people should always take caution on unfamiliar roads but there are countless people out there who don't, and it would really help if they had a good indication of what was actually coming up on the road.

I thought they just tried to take the corner with a mazda bongo like my parents as fast as possible :P.

The recommended corner speed is just perfect for it.

Ixion
17th September 2005, 16:24
I thought they just tried to take the corner with a mazda bongo like my parents as fast as possible :P.

The recommended corner speed is just perfect for it.

I read about this years and years and years ago. In one of the English car mags , either The Motor or The Autocar. When it was new. Apparently we were the first in the world, or something.

They reckoned it was very scientific, not just some geezer blatting round it in a Jensen.

Worked by calculating the speed that would produce a 0.2g lateral force. Then checked it with a Tapley meter.

I suspect nowdays it is all done with a computer off the plans. Can't see LTSA running round in vans with Tapley meters fited.

But tthe 0.2g may still be the same. Feels about right.

Pathos
18th September 2005, 13:13
Oh, I'm sure they do.