PDA

View Full Version : North Island: White Ribbon Ride with the Super Māori Fullas 25th Nov onwards

Ms Piggy
3rd November 2009, 19:35
This year a motorcycle ride is being organised from Wellington to Bream Bay in the far north by the Super Māori Fullas, Patriots Defence Force Motorcycle Club and Families Commission.

The ride aims to raise awareness of men’s violence against women. We’re asking men to stand up and begin the journey towards a violence free society.

Four rides will leave from Westpac Stadium in Wellington on 25 & 26 November, led by the Super Māori Fullas and Patriots. Each group will take a separate route up the east, west and central North Island.

The rides will visit over 35 towns and cities across the North Island picking up riders on the way north to the ASB Stadium in Auckland. From there the ride will make its way to Bream Bay, Ruakaka, Whangarei.

Access further details and resources via http://whiteribbon.org.nz/get-involved/white-ribbon-ride/

Horse
13th November 2009, 22:40
Met one of the Patriot MC riders at ANZA today, riding a very nice Road King, who mentioned this. Looks like a good cause, might try and join them on part of the ride.

george formby
14th November 2009, 10:13
Bloody good guys! Getting off their butts to stand up & make a difference. :yes:

Monamie
15th November 2009, 19:06
Thanks Ms P :hug:

We will be there supporting this for sure.

Those `fullas` have my utmost respect bringing a subject that is usually kept behind closed doors out in the open. It is a very damaging cycle through our generations/society and one that is hard to break out of once you have been subjected to it.
For me its 16 years of hell vs 3 years of bless (especially the last one).

Good on you guys:niceone:

Conquiztador
16th November 2009, 00:30
There are four rides. Each ride will be known by the name of a wind. The rides leave from Westpac Stadium in Wellington and travel separately up the North Island joining together at ASB Stadium in Auckland. From there the rides travel up to Bream Bay in Ruakaka, which is the start point for the Bream Bay Community Trust White Ribbon Ride.

Riders can travel the whole ride or join or leave the ride at any ‘meet and greet’ location. It’s up to you how long you ride for. It can be an hour, a day or the whole five days.

The West Wind (Te Hau Auru)
Led by Mervyn
Wednesday 25 – Friday 27 November
Wellington – Ruakaka (Bream Bay)
via Sanson, Whanganui, Hawera, New Plymouth (overnight stop), Mokau, Te Kuiti, Te Awamutu, Hamilton (overnight stop), Meremere, Auckland and Waipu (via Helensville and Kaupakapa)

The North Wind (Te Hau Kotiu)
Led by Roger
via Porirua, Paraparaumu, Upper Hutt, Lower Hutt, Porirua (return, overnight stop), Wellington (return), Levin, Sanson, Taihape, Waiouru, Taupo, Tokoroa, Hamilton (overnight stop), Meremere, Auckland, and Waipu

The East Wind (Te Hau Marangai)
Led by Mahu
via Featherston, Masterton, Dannevirke, Waipukurau, Napier, Wairoa, Gisborne (overnight stop), Opotiki, Ohope Beach, Whakatane, Matata, Maketu, Te Puke, Tauranga (overnight stop), Waihi, Paeroa, Auckland, and Waipu

The South Wind (Te Hau Tonga)
Led by Shane Henry
via Porirua, Levin, Palmerston North (overnight stop), Fielding, Waiouru, Taupo, Rotorua, Te Puke, Tauranga (overnight stop), Waihi, Paeroa, Auckland, and Waipu

These four rides are directly followed by:

Bream Bay Community Trust White Ribbon Ride
Saturday 28 November

BREAM BAY COMMUNITY SUPPORT TRUST
MOTORCYCLE & CLASSIC CAR RALLY
Powhiri at Takahiwai Marae Friday 27 November 3pm

Departs : 8:30am Saturday 28th November 09, Takutai Place, Ruakaka

Ruakaka to Whangarei, Kawakawa, Moerewa, Kaikohe, Opononi, Dargaville and back to Ruakaka.

Finish: 7.00pm @ Takahiwai Marae with BBQ dinner

Entry Fee : Box of canned food for Womens Refuge

A box of non-perishable food or cans required for entry
An alcohol & drug free event
No patches to be worn
All bikes welcome
Cars must be Classic in origin / Hot Rod / or Modified
Spot Prizes on the day
Entrants will be asked to sign a pledge to support the elimination of violence towards women and children.

For further details contact

Phil Paikea 021 121 0763 e: ppaikea@hotmail.com

Sue 027 255 0725 /09 4327197 e: bbcst64@xtra.co.nz

NOTE: You need to register to be able to ride. Do it here: http://whiteribbon.org.nz/get-involved/white-ribbon-ride/join-the-ride/register/

sarahtvet
16th November 2009, 11:28
Bloody good guys! Getting off their butts to stand up & make a difference. :yes:

Awesome of them for sure :2thumbsup:

It is men making a stand for women to have the right to be safe that makes it all the more powerful :yes:

REMEMBER TO REGISTER AND TAKE THE PLEDGE IF YOU ARE A STAND AGAINST VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN AND WANT TO RIDE WITH PEOPLE WHO TRULY WON'T TOLERATE IT

sarahtvet
25th November 2009, 22:14
Well the first days ride was awesome. I was blown away by the reception I received at the stadium despite arriving 'just' on time after some seriously worrying lane splitting. Riders from all over NZ had come to join one of the winds blowing change through the country. Cheryl had ridden her big block Harley from Invercargill and came straight over for a chat, looking forward to meeting up with her tomorrow. Brian was inspiring with his sharing of how his mates had told him to sort his life and how that had lifted a weight from him, he cycles at the moment but we challenged him to riding with us on a motorbike by next year :ride:

Mainly cruisers but some sport bikes and a Triumph fan who is off to the UK tomorrow and to Hinkley in 2 weeks, he has my shopping list :lol:

We au revouired the East and West wind riders then in close formation with the Patriots led by Shane and SMF Roger - we were off in the glorious Wellington sunshine.

First to the Porirua Marae and then to the shopping centre where we had some heart-stirring speeches from men, women and children as well as huge support from the mayor, police and womens groups and the community.

Never expected to be encouraged to make as much noise as possible with the bike in a crowded street, the kids loved it and the youngest to try out the Daytona was less than 6months old.

Handprints and messages on the banner, live music and a constant flow of supporters keen to talk about what the white ribbon and the ride means to them and to see the bikes of course. We were well entertained and sad to leave the fun and positive celebration of the committment to the 'end to silence and the end to violence' in our communities.

Also met the local 'tallest cop' - see pics

A short run Paraparaumu to meet support groups there (and a gorgeous Great Dane). It was here that the incident for my nickname occured but my lips are sealed :lol:

On to Levin and gave the bikes a little stretch on the way. Winny managed to lose his bag this time, not just the contents:lol: fortunately he found it and caught us up.

More riders had joined us here including Rabbi from the central districts HOG group and we lined the bikes up on the grass and enjoyed a warm welcome and some refreshment at the memorial hall.

Got caught by the Beemer :sunny: and would love to know what she was telling Shane and Roger, something about me being trouble :lol: but they had sussed that ages ago and the nickname was chosen by the time we left Levin.

Off to Highbury to meet and greet some of the community and the little kids got on as many bikes as possible, good sign for the future :2thumbsup:
Most impressed by the lad of about 6 who worked out the Daytona was the fastest, he is in my good books, as is Nixy for admitting it.

We then went to the Te Hotu Manawa Rangitaane Marae on Maxwell line and after Shane and Roger did their interviews I had the priveledge of being asked to lead the riders into the Marae where we had the traditonal powhiri greeting.

My first visit to a marae and it was a honour to be part of this special occasion. The orator explained all the carvings in the Marae to us in english so we could all understand. This marae was built to house and welcome all tribes and those without a tribe so very fitting for an event that affects every NZ community.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/sarahtvet/WhiteRibbonRide#

First lot of pics, rest will be downloaded when I get back on Sunday

South Wind will be in Fielding 9-930 tomorrow at the clock tower so all riders from the manawatu that can go support them should.

Off to bed for an early start to catch the Westerlies for a run through the Awakino gorge to Hamilton.

You don't have to join the whole ride to be a part of this so come on KB bikers show your support for the riders who are making a stand for our communities to be free from violence.

Look out for the blue DYTN4 and come say hi :sunny:

Conquiztador
25th November 2009, 23:28
First crew to roll off Westpac Stadium top floor parking. The wind travelling to Rimutakas was tricky at times for the doz or so bikes that did the ride to Featherston. The hills went well and we cruized at just over 100k.

I am not a fan of travelling in staggered formation with a bunch of unknown riders, but the Patriots have all this sussed and it was all sweet.

Featherston was the first stop and feed (maan did we get fed through the day!) at Family Works. The mayor was also there to welcome us. The Manager, Teresa, had not been able to sleep last night as she was so hoping for a ride. I made sure Padre from Patriots took her for a short ride and I am sure she won't sleep tonight either ;).

We also picked up Arthur from here. A 74 yo biker riding a Indian made 175cc bike. He had no problem hanging on to the ride. I can only hope I be able to ride like him when I am 70+.

Next stop Masterton. There was a full setup with kids painting walls, stalls selling things and music. Again we were welcomed like long lost family. Sadly, as the schedule was tight, we did not have much time at each place.

Arthur left us here and we picked up some other bikers. One with a 71 nicely in blue restored Ironhead Sporty.

In Dannevirke we were provided with more food and warm reception. Mahu spoke and thanked them for their commitment to the cause. Some new riders again and some dropped off. But we tended to have a continous dozen or so riding.

Next stop Waipukurau. Here the schools were welcoming us with song, painted moko's and Kapa Haka performance that would have made the AB' jelous. More feed and a speech from the mayor.

We took a backroad to Waipawa. Nice! (Some of them had never been to HB...) A stop for petrol and a dash to Napier.

At the Sound Shell in Napier we were greated by music, dance and speeches. And the golden weather that had been with us from Welly just got better (we were in HB after all...)

Next on the map was Wairoa and then Gisborne, but I left the group here as I had 3 small boys needing me at home. But 3 more bikers joined the ride to Gizzy.

I will ride up to Ruakaka on Friday night planning to turn up at the Marae just after midnight so I can do the Saturday ride, then ride back to HB on Saturday night to be home to take my youngest to his MotoX champs on Sunday morning. More re this trip later. EDIT 28/11: Typical. My kids are never sick. But on Friday when I was to travel up unwell children put a stop to this plan. Always next year! And I did travel with the Ride for one day.

For those who read this: Join in at any time in the ride. A ride is always brilliant, but the welcomes at each place just makes it a unforgettable experience!

STJim
26th November 2009, 07:58
I have just come across this thread. What is happening in Hamilton. As I understand from read the thread 2 of the 4 rides are overnighting in Hamilton
Can more information be provided?
Cheers

Conquiztador
26th November 2009, 10:09
I have just come across this thread. What is happening in Hamilton. As I understand from read the thread 2 of the 4 rides are overnighting in Hamilton
Can more information be provided?
Cheers

At approx 7 - 8pm on Thursday 26/11 they will stop for the night in Hammy at: Hukanui Marae, Gordonton Road, Gordonton, Hamilton.

Come along and do the ride up north on Friday.

Ms Piggy
26th November 2009, 19:50
I wish I could've made it down to the cake tin yesterday - just too much going down at work to justify sneaking off on the bike. What an awesome bunch of men! :2thumbsup

Conquiztador
26th November 2009, 20:37
I wish I could've made it down to the cake tin yesterday - just too much going down at work to justify sneaking off on the bike. What an awesome bunch of men! :2thumbsup

Humbled. But don't forget the ladies too.

Ms Piggy
26th November 2009, 20:55

Absolutely! But for me it's very powerful to see men standing up and being counted. We need more positive male role models for our young boys!

Wasp27
28th November 2009, 04:42
...At the Sound Shell in Napier we were greated by music, dance and speeches. And the golden weather that had been with us from Welly just got better (we were in HB after all...)
Next on the map was Wairoa and then Gisborne, but I left the group here as I had 3 small boys needing me at home. But 3 more bikers joined the ride to Gizzy.
For those who read this: Join in at any time in the ride. A ride is always brilliant, but the welcomes at each place just makes it a unforgettable experience!

It was indeed a privilege to meet and ride with these Guys and Gals....the ride up the coast from here was your typical hot,sunny melting tar east coast day:niceone: These folk are spreading a very important message and need our support. Our prayers and best wishes go with you.... your dedication to the cause certainly moved me.
cheers W

ynot slow
28th November 2009, 07:41
The thing I get really pissed off with family violence and crap is that it is NOT acceptable for guys to bash(not slap)kids or anybody,but if woman do it it seems to be ok.The excuse is the kid or man deserved it.

And if grandad did bash the family,and dad did the same the kids will do so,to me this is rubbish,my case and point is my grandad was severely disciplined as a kid(pre natal depression for his mum is todays term,hot water poured on him,religiously beaten)when his own kids(my dad)needed a bit of discipline they would go to their dad,who would whack a leather strap on the bench,tell the kid to rub their hand and say sorry to mum.So therefore my dad and so on should all be beaters etc.

Wasp27
28th November 2009, 08:24
The thing I get really pissed off with family violence and crap is that it is NOT acceptable for guys to bash(not slap)kids or anybody,but if woman do it it seems to be ok.The excuse is the kid or man deserved it.

And if grandad did bash the family,and dad did the same the kids will do so,to me this is rubbish,my case and point is my grandad was severely disciplined as a kid(pre natal depression for his mum is todays term,hot water poured on him,religiously beaten)when his own kids(my dad)needed a bit of discipline they would go to their dad,who would whack a leather strap on the bench,tell the kid to rub their hand and say sorry to mum.So therefore my dad and so on should all be beaters etc.
Big ups to your Grandad YS.... it takes a big man or woman to break the cycle.... the White Ribbon campaign has a very strong message and indeed provides Love and Support. After all.... there is no excuse.:no:
Cheers W

chanceyy
28th November 2009, 10:34

totally agree with that one Tony .. the message should be domestic violence is not ok period regardless of who is doing it .. I know of cases where the woman are just as bad if not worse than the men .. both in violence, and verbal abuse ..

unfortunately ppl just do not see woman as the abuser

Highlander
28th November 2009, 10:42
Well that really sucks.
I went for a ride on Thursday too, if I'd read this earlier I would have met up with and ridden with them for a bit.

ynot slow
28th November 2009, 16:49
totally agree with that one Tony .. the message should be domestic violence is not ok period regardless of who is doing it .. I know of cases where the woman are just as bad if not worse than the men .. both in violence, and verbal abuse ..

unfortunately ppl just do not see woman as the abuser

True,a great friend of ours was part of an abusive family,he was 13 or so when he stood upto his dad slapping his mum,his folks seperated shortly,and out of spite he took his new step dads surname,and did so for 10years,then he changed to his dads name out of respect to his grandmother.He gets on well with his dad as people do in late 30-early 40's,and he hasn't needed to beat his ex wife (she even cheated on him,and he did say she could've easily been beaten by him,but the thought of his dad sickened him)she would whack him to bait him etc,all he did was walk away laughing,then laughed when he walked out the door permanently.

chanceyy
28th November 2009, 18:09
True,a great friend of ours was part of an abusive family,he was 13 or so when he stood upto his dad slapping his mum,his folks seperated shortly,and out of spite he took his new step dads surname,and did so for 10years,then he changed to his dads name out of respect to his grandmother.He gets on well with his dad as people do in late 30-early 40's,and he hasn't needed to beat his ex wife (she even cheated on him,and he did say she could've easily been beaten by him,but the thought of his dad sickened him)she would whack him to bait him etc,all he did was walk away laughing,then laughed when he walked out the door permanently.

Big ups to him for breaking the cycle.

Your right some woman tend to bait & provoke until they get a reaction, and of course not in every case as there are plenty of woman who walk on eggshells trying not to provoke the anger & rage.

Its important to get the message out there that any form of abuse regardless of WHO is doing it .. its NOT ok that message needs to be delivered to men woman and children .. bullying has increased in an alarming rate

tegelnz
29th November 2009, 17:29
Well the ride has finished but the memories will last a lifetime.

Started in Wellington with the rest of my fellow Patriots and met Sarah the vet (yes I admit your Daytona was the fastest in our group), rode as road captain for the North Wind which joined the South wind and rode as one group for most of the way until splitting at Taupo. Then up to Hamilton and finally Ruakaka for the Bream Bay ride.

Left there today and rode as far as Taupo we're I'm catching up with the olds and writing this. Returning tomorrow to Palmy.

My bum is slightly sore but it was worth fanging my Kawasaki Ninja EX250 up the north island for such a great cause.

Met heaps of great people including Sarah the vet, Cheryl from Invercargill and many others.

Look forward to next years ride. By then I will have upgraded to a ZX10 and give Sarah a run for her money lol.

Laters

Nixy

Horse
30th November 2009, 10:06
there are plenty of woman who walk on eggshells trying not to provoke the anger & rage.

Bottom line - the men with the anger problem need to get help.

It was an honour riding with you and your fellow patriots Nixy, and everyone else who came along on the ride. It was truly inspirational hearing the stories from men who'd been physically or psychologically abusive to their partners or families, but had the courage to change their own lives, take responsibility for their actions, and get help.

chanceyy
30th November 2009, 11:42
Bottom line - the men with the anger problem need to get help.

bottom line is actually Men Woman and Children who have anger problems all need help .. lets not just point the finger at men only aye

Horse
30th November 2009, 19:36
bottom line is actually Men Woman and Children who have anger problems all need help .. lets not just point the finger at men only aye

No, that's bullshit.

Yes, there are women that abuse men, but it's such a tiny proportion of the stats that it's barely worth mentioning. In my experience, the only people who keep bringing up "but women do it too" are apologists for male violence who are trying to divert attention away from the real problem.

Men who get help for their problems are good bastards. The ones who don't, who lie and equivocate, are something else entirely.

chanceyy
30th November 2009, 19:59
No, that's bullshit.

Yes, there are women that abuse men, but it's such a tiny proportion of the stats that it's barely worth mentioning. In my experience, the only people who keep bringing up "but women do it too" are apologists for male violence who are trying to divert attention away from the real problem.

Men who get help for their problems are good bastards. The ones who don't, who lie and equivocate, are something else entirely.

no its called burying your head in the sand

how many ppl of both sexes & ages have been in court over the last yr tried for murder, attempted murder etc, assaults, how many woman and men have been guilty of harming their kids, and how many kids have committed suicide due to bullying of one form or another ??

and your experience is sadly misconstrued if you think its a male only issue

I am diverting nothing, just stating a clear fact domestic violence is not ok regardless of who is doing it - its been a growing epidemic for quite a number of yrs, the reality is its been hidden behind close doors for yrs, and still is

any person who gets help & reforms their life good on them, those who pretend are just lying to themselves & their loved ones ..

Conquiztador
30th November 2009, 20:32
Ther Super Maori Fullas are good bastards. I got them to HB for a 3 day visit earlier in the year and sorted their itinerary. We went to shools and organisations. The Fullas are normal guys that decided to take this up on to them self. They took holidays from their jobs and travelled the country to spread the message against Family Violence. Now the Families Commission is onboard and provide some funding.

The look on the school kids faces when these shaven headed bikers in black leathers and Harleys outside started talking about love and caring was priceless. I'll support them anytime!

chanceyy
30th November 2009, 20:44
Ther Super Maori Fullas are good bastards. I'll support them anytime!

Most certainly & most definiately, getting the message out in the open has to be a good thing :yes:

Horse
30th November 2009, 21:24
The Super Maori Fullas are good bastards.

Yes indeed.

Maori TV ran a story on the Bream Bay Ride on Saturday's news. (http://www.maoritelevision.com/Default.aspx?tabid=278&pid=151&epid=1389) It's the 2nd story, starts at 3:54.

Horse
30th November 2009, 21:25
the reality is its been hidden behind close doors for yrs, and still is

I couldn't agree more.

Ms Piggy
1st December 2009, 06:41

Can't agree with ya on this one Chanceyy. Statistically men are perpetrators of violence towards their partners/wives and children a lot more. It's an issue that needs to be talked about.

Let's talk about it and make people aware of it. Yes uncontrolled anger in any of us is not okay but there is a serious issue in New Zealand that needs to be talked about out in the open.

I can't locate the stats but there are women and children being killed in NZ as a direct result of family violence, it's an issue that needs to be out in the open so men know it's unacceptable and women know they can get help.

chanceyy
1st December 2009, 09:28
Can't agree with ya on this one Chanceyy. Statistically men are perpetrators of violence towards their partners/wives and children a lot more. It's an issue that needs to be talked about.

Let's talk about it and make people aware of it. Yes uncontrolled anger in any of us is not okay but there is a serious issue in New Zealand that needs to be talked about out in the open.

I can't locate the stats but there are women and children being killed in NZ as a direct result of family violence, it's an issue that needs to be out in the open so men know it's unacceptable and women know they can get help.

No probs Miss P, statisically yes men are the main perpetrators of violence, but these days not all.

It sickens me each time I watch the news & see another child abused, not just by the father either ..

However talking about it is good, and to those ppl who have/are turning their lives around massive ups to them ..

sarahtvet
1st December 2009, 20:33

Thanks mate us girls were in the minority but sure got plenty of attention and support from the band of brothers :2thumbsup:

Will post a ride report of what has been a spiritual and physically uplifting as well as a damn fine few days riding :yes:

sarahtvet
1st December 2009, 21:01
T it is NOT acceptable for guys to bash(not slap)kids or anybody...

Stats say that men do it more often and kill more women. Nobody should eb subjected to physical nor pyschological abuse.

The three points were
1) Women need to get help and get out of abusive relationships, ditto for men.

2) Friends and family need to stand up and bear witness to give the perpetrators support to chose another path. They rarely do when everybody pretends it isn't happening.

3) Violence is not acceptable for any reason

It was indeed a privilege to meet and ride with these Guys and Gals .....your dedication to the cause certainly moved me.
cheers W

Priveledged to be part of this, will be riding with my brothers and sisters again very soon. Perhaps to visit the SMF in Northland.

the message should be domestic violence is not ok period regardless of who is doing it

that was the message :2thumbsup: perhaps you should have ridden further with the group

Well that really sucks.
I went for a ride on Thursday too, if I'd read this earlier I would have met up with and ridden with them for a bit.

More riding and spreading this important message so plenty of opportunity to add your support. This is an everyday message not just one week a year :yes:

Well the ride has finished but the memories will last a lifetime. [/qoute]
Sure will babe I am still reeling from it :wari:

Or maybe its from the pounding my eardrums took from Crofty at 630 every morning ringing a bell over my head and starting the sportie up next to me :lol:

[QUOTE=tegelnz;1129541966] Started in Wellington with the rest of my fellow Patriots and met Sarah the vet (yes I admit your Daytona was the fastest in our group) [/qoute]

fastest of the lot mate although Rizzo would have been a faster rider if we had been playing in the west but we were being good sportbike riders :innocent:

[QUOTE=tegelnz;1129541966]My bum is slightly sore but it was worth fanging my Kawasaki Ninja EX250 up the north island for such a great cause.

Met heaps of great people including Sarah the vet, Cheryl from Invercargill and many others.

Look forward to next years ride. By then I will have upgraded to a ZX10 and give Sarah a run for her money lol.

Priveledged to ride with you mate :2thumbsup: and you did very well on the 250. Your 'ass' would have been more sore I reckon without leathers even if they were a little short and baggy. Take more than a year and a ZX10 before you can give me a run but happy to let you chase me again anytime :lol:

Totally shocked by the stats we heard about on the ride. Nobody should be scared of their partner or parents. Our homes should be our place of safety and our parrtners the people we can most trust.

Getting this talked about will help people make better choices in the future and I am convinced it will make a difference. It has to, this scourge is ruining lives,families and communities. None of us are imune to the effects even if not directly involved.

Sad to see more people turn out to reduce spending money on their rego than to stop the people in their communities from being abused. Big up to those who are making a stand, the winds of change are surely blowing through this gorgeous country.

Conquiztador
1st December 2009, 21:38
Sad to see more people turn out to reduce spending money on their rego than to stop the people in their communities from being abused. Big up to those who are making a stand, the winds of change are surely blowing through this gorgeous country.

On the positive side: people are standing up for what they belive in and are prepared to say "Enough" be that re unjustified ACC levies or family violence. Some of us did both. Others could only do one.

I have a trip up north planned this Xmas holidays. Who knows, might see you there?

sarahtvet
1st December 2009, 22:25
On the positive side: people are standing up for what they belive in and are prepared to say "Enough" be that re unjustified ACC levies or family violence. Some of us did both. Others could only do one.

I have a trip up north planned this Xmas holidays. Who knows, might see you there?

For sure mate, not suggesting that people who didn't come don't care, apologies if it came across like that. Guess I was a little disappointed that more people couldn't make it and missed out on an amazing event for all that rode or interacted with the riders. One of the most positive life experiences I have had so sure don't want to distract from that. Wait for the ride report and you will totally get where I am coming from :sunny:

Would be cool to catch up at Xmas, pm me with plans when you know them and I am sure we can work something out. I am in touch with the Hauraki Patriots regularly now and some of us have an east cape escapade we want to sort so maybe we can work something out :ride:

There are plans afoot for a SMF south island run too:r2thumbsup:

chanceyy
2nd December 2009, 05:46

True :yes: personally I would have loved to do the ride but a combination of events conspired against me, one was medical, and the other was supporting two friends who have gone through and are going through real life trauma.

I would say I will be there next year however if we do not get ACC to change their stance then alot of us may not be riding in the future (or riding illegally)

ynot slow
4th December 2009, 19:29
I would say I will be there next year however if we do not get ACC to change their stance then alot of us may not be riding in the future (or riding illegally)

Actually you've hit the nail on the head,priorities,and with hefty increases in rego you have to really plan your trips,sure if I win lotto then I'll rock on along to all events that interest ME,not what is THE event of the time.

Me I never miss relay for life,both in Manawatu and New Plymouth,and will try to attend each one if possible.

I still stand by the main part of it's not men but anyone who beats anyone else(unless on sports field lol),it is not wanted,and goes for men v lady,lady v child,both v child,child v parent etc.When you have your partner arrive home from her work and you ask how are you?Reply pissed off,had a post mortem to do on a young baby who was placed in a plastic bag,used as a punching bag and also imersed in the bath,you really can't say much.Then she was told by police with her that the mother wanted to be able to go to funeral wtf.

Two wrongs don't make a right,and maybe some people need to get off their high horses and realise the planet aint fair,shit does happen,and from school drop outs to company directors,sports people all walks of life.

To me these guys saying yep I beat her/them but realise it was wrong,and have reformed are not ideal role models,sure they have corrected their ways,and good on them,the other side is what their partners think about it,it implies they are happy to have been there done that got the bash,but hell I can't leave.Role models I think not.

boyscout
22nd December 2009, 10:13
there is something for everyone in this cause. From reading through the different posts it is very clear that the violence is not condoned at all, and that is the most important message that is being delivered. The white ribbon may not sit well with everyone, as it focuses specfically on Domestic Violence against women, this is because, and as stated through this thread, it is the highest incidence when it comes to domestic violence statistics. there is however the "Its not OK!" Campaign that focuses on Domestic violence as a whole, in which ever form it takes from Physical, emotional, financial, sexual etc..... I am a patriot and this ride was a highlight of my riding so far, and i cant wait for the next one. For my brothers and sisters that came along or supported in their own way, i thank you and hope to catch on a ride one day....cheers....Lovey