PDA

View Full Version : How many fingers do you brake with?

gav
20th April 2005, 23:13
And what ones do you use? I generally use either one or two (fore finger and long one next to it), but was interested to see the on bike shots of Shinya Nakano and he was using his 3 outside fingers and holding onto throttle with his fore finger and thumb. Go on, just try flexing them like that, feel weird to you? Or more natural? Looked abit ungainly I thought, almost like he had to stretch his fingers around the brake lever to get it in position to brake. So what do other people use?

dveus
20th April 2005, 23:16
Normally just the middle two.

gav
20th April 2005, 23:18
OK, lets ignore the thumb and number them 1,2,3 and 4 (little pinky) I use 1 most sometimes 2, so you use 2 and 3, dveus?

Waylander
20th April 2005, 23:18
Apparently I so it like that guy does. Use my outside three fingers moslty but when emergency stopping I use them all. I don't grab the break by any means just pull it in a bit to give me a quik stop with no tire skid. Use the rear brake the most though, to slow down for curves or drop in speed limit, though just letting the throttle go works well aswell.

John
20th April 2005, 23:20
I hold two fingers over the brake, one over the clutch(who needs it lol ;), and slide them to the right when I'm downshifting otherwise I always manage to jam the throttle open with my thumb (dont ask I have no idea).

Ixion
20th April 2005, 23:21
I used to ride a BSA. So , force of old habits, I have the brake lever turned around so it's on the inside of the handlebars. That way I can use my foot (all toes) on it for more leverage. Of course, on a BSA even that doesn't actually cause the front brake to slow you down at all.

dveus
20th April 2005, 23:26
OK, lets ignore the thumb and number them 1,2,3 and 4 (little pinky) I use 1 most sometimes 2, so you use 2 and 3, dveus?

Yep, its how i used to ride the pushbike and have just kept the same habits.

FROSTY
20th April 2005, 23:31
depends totally on the situation. I cruise with 2 fingers on the brake. but when its a planned stop I use 3 fingers.
emergency braking and I use all 4

James Deuce
20th April 2005, 23:39
depends totally on the situation. I cruise with 2 fingers on the brake. but when its a planned stop I use 3 fingers.
emergency braking and I use all 4

One of us is doing it right and the other one is a copy cat. :D

gav
20th April 2005, 23:42
Well I could understand on a XJ900 but that R6 won't need 4 fingers Jimthesecond? Have you got an order in for some fairings? :msn-wink:

Motu
20th April 2005, 23:49
I got a new pair of gloves before Xmas and had to run them in,they felt a bit funny and this caused me to look at my hands on the bars.I appears I don't grip the bar with my right index finger,it comes around and meets the thumb,it's not doing a thing...I changed back to my old gloves and I still do the same,looks like that's how I've been doing it for years.

As for braking - index and middle finger,I'm not a heavy braker...like Ixion I learnt to ride on BSAs,front brakes were a non functioning option.

bugjuice
20th April 2005, 23:49
use mostly 2 fingers, unless I really need the anchors, then it's 3. 636 brakes are frikin sharp as it is, so they don't need much pressure to get a result

James Deuce
21st April 2005, 00:11
Well I could understand on a XJ900 but that R6 won't need 4 fingers Jimthesecond? Have you got an order in for some fairings? :msn-wink:

2 Fingers are fine most of the time, but I have big hands, and my fingers get trapped when I have to squeeze hard. They get trapped behind the brake lever too. :D

Keeper
21st April 2005, 00:45
fingers 1 & 2 (inner two)

as taught by various riding instructors including race instructors...

but hey could be all wrong

250learna
21st April 2005, 01:02
i use all 4, but dan again i havent been riding long enough to adjust my style for comfurt

inlinefour
21st April 2005, 03:13
And what ones do you use? I generally use either one or two (fore finger and long one next to it), but was interested to see the on bike shots of Shinya Nakano and he was using his 3 outside fingers and holding onto throttle with his fore finger and thumb. Go on, just try flexing them like that, feel weird to you? Or more natural? Looked abit ungainly I thought, almost like he had to stretch his fingers around the brake lever to get it in position to brake. So what do other people use?

I think it something to do with having ridden motorcross/enduro in the past. Generally leave a finger or two on the lever as it can make a big difference in a serious situation. :ride:

750Y
21st April 2005, 06:47
the guy who runs training courses at blue wing honda advocates using all 4 at all times.
when i am riding i noticed that my whole hand doesn't grasp the grip & in fact only the inside half of the palm seems to have good contact leaving my 3rd & little fingers basically coming along for the ride. for me to get my hands fully on the grips & have my fingers wrapping round, i have to bring my elbows in really close together(past parallel) which is basically ridiculous. it seems to me that the clip-ons are angled too far back.

Rainbow Wizard
21st April 2005, 07:26
When I'm sliding downhill :banana:

White trash
21st April 2005, 07:36
I use digits 2 and 3 as well. I find it gives me a good grip on the throttle for down shifts.

Edit: Anyone who needs more than two fingers on modern sprotsbike stoppers, doesnt realise you can only put so much power through a front brake.

James Deuce
21st April 2005, 07:44
Edit: Anyone who needs more than two fingers on modern sprotsbike stoppers, doesnt realise you can only put so much power through a front brake.

They're the same people who make you cover your clutch when you do your license tests. They have a bit of influence on how legislation is drafted too. Doesn't help that the last time they actually rode, a BSA Bantam, or James was the ideal learners bike.

betti
21st April 2005, 08:05
the motorcycle handbook sez 4 at all times, not due to the amount of power required, but to prevent the other fingers becoming trapped by the lever and preventing the application of full braking potential!!!

I use 2 as well :niceone:

Pwalo
21st April 2005, 08:08
I thought about this one after riding in this morning. I usually only use finger 1 for braking and the others stay on the throttle for blipping during downshifts. Used to use the first two fingers but my little pinky is still a bit dodgy so must have altered my style.

Try to avoid emergency stops, but probably grab everything when that happens.

Lou Girardin
21st April 2005, 08:14
I cover the lever with index and middle fingers 95% of the time, wave with the middle finger, left hand.
Never brake with all four, but I see that Rossi does.

FROSTY
21st April 2005, 08:29
actually come to think of it --on the xj I use 2 fingers on the front brake whilst the third is pawwing the boat anchour ejector unit. That way i stop from 100km/h in 2 km not the normal 5
shows how things have changed--back in 83 it was touted as one of the best braked bikes on the road -the cb1100 r was the only thing with better brakes.

pritch
21st April 2005, 08:47
With modern brakes 1&2 should be enough to make the tyre squeel and you can simultaneously work the throttle to downchange while hard on the brakes.

Apparently pictures show the Moto GP riders using four fingers (very carefully?) but they have slipper clutches. They also have a system that automatically adjusts the revs for downshifts so they don't need to blip the throttle like us mere mortals.

Paul in NZ
21st April 2005, 09:29
I use everything I can find because old Guzzis have flywheels that are as heavy as death and have bugger all engine braking.... Actually the brake braking ain't too flash either so it's a bunch a hand haulin', foot stompin' (linked brakes) lever bendin' foearm popin' eye buldgin throw out every thing sort of affair...

One thing about having an old Guzzi... You are never bored...

Ixion
21st April 2005, 09:38
I use everything I can find because old Guzzis have flywheels that are as heavy as death and have bugger all engine braking.... Actually the brake braking ain't too flash either so it's a bunch a hand haulin', foot stompin' (linked brakes) lever bendin' foearm popin' eye buldgin throw out every thing sort of affair...

One thing about having an old Guzzi... You are never bored...

heh heh. Sounds just like a BSA. Until I got wise and realised that all the levering and stomping wasn't going to do anything anyway. So I stopped bothering to brake. Just ride around whatever it is. And wave my arms and shriek "Ged oudda my way, you *&^^* " .Still use that philosophy actually.

I did actually bend a couple of the old steel levers. And twist the splined shaft on the rear brake actuating arm.

TwoSeven
21st April 2005, 10:13
I dont cover the levers unless I am actually using them. So the number of fingers I use depends on how hard I need to brake.

Coyote
21st April 2005, 10:19
Brakes? :confused:

sAsLEX
21st April 2005, 11:22
but to prevent the other fingers becoming trapped by the lever and preventing the application of full braking potential!!!

I use 2 as well :niceone:

even with my poo non braided brakes if I ever got to the point of squashing my outside finger with the brake lever I would be sailing over the handlebars in a cloud of front lock up tyre smoke!!!

So I use 1 & 2 and they sit on the brake lever even not braking, which I have set out quite far, for 98% of the time. Have to ocassionally take them off to avoid numbness.

bugjuice
21st April 2005, 11:29
kawkas are easy, goes along the lines of :finger: and it stops.. so one finger.. just the one..

sorry, couldn't resist :whistle:

Paul in NZ
21st April 2005, 11:48
heh heh. Sounds just like a BSA. Until I got wise and realised that all the levering and stomping wasn't going to do anything anyway. So I stopped bothering to brake. Just ride around whatever it is. And wave my arms and shriek "Ged oudda my way, you *&^^* " .Still use that philosophy actually.

I did actually bend a couple of the old steel levers. And twist the splined shaft on the rear brake actuating arm.

having owned a few old bikes and played with heaps of them I can say that in most cases, there is a logical reason why the brakes are not working.

Sure, really old stuff was pretty dire... But that was not just bikes. 8 litre cars weighing 2 plus ton with only rear wheel brakes? Yes at one stage the theory was it was dangerous to have brakes on the front of cars... Gleep!

Anyway.

There are MANY reasons why old pommie drum brakes don't work and often it comes down to wear and tear plus people swapping inappropriate components. Like Triumph and Norton levers look the same but the pivot distances are different and should not be swapped about. Lets not even discuss the horrid replacement cables we used to use... Bleugh....

I've owned 50's Triumphs that could lock up the front easily and the 2LS brake on my 1970 TR6C is one of the best drums ever made (but painfully heavy)...

Sniper
21st April 2005, 11:53
Thats weird, I have always used my 2 outside fingers

wkid_one
21st April 2005, 14:29
My two inside fingers only

Sniper
21st April 2005, 14:33
My two inside fingers only

Are we still talking about braking

bugjuice
21st April 2005, 14:42
lamo :killingme

Sniper
21st April 2005, 15:20
lamo :killingme

What???? Hehehe

MSTRS
21st April 2005, 15:27
Oh dear...it'll be alcomahol next won't it?

NordieBoy
21st April 2005, 15:41
Thank you, I'll have a double :drinknsin

I use finger 2 and in emergancies use either 1,2 or 2,3.
2 fingers is enough to stoppie.

Sniper
21st April 2005, 15:49
2 fingers is enough to stoppie.

Ummmmm, see what I mean

scroter
21st April 2005, 16:06

on an R6 with braided lines you might get away with 2 fingers.
on the trackdays with normal lines on the sixxer i kept running out of lever travel cause i was only using 2 fingers and the other 2 got in the way, so i changed to all 4 and it worked sweet. now i got braided lines i cant get out of the habit of using all 4, but it feels sweet anyway so who cares.

Zapf
21st April 2005, 16:27

3 outside fingers...

Lou Girardin
21st April 2005, 16:45

No, it's reverted to the Colin Edwards perv? thread

Ixion
21st April 2005, 17:09
I've owned 50's Triumphs that could lock up the front easily ..

Yep, the tyres back then were shit too.

WINJA
21st April 2005, 18:31
8 FINGERS ON THE STREET MAGIC AND 1 OR 2 ON THE GSXR1000, DONT NEED A BACK BRAKE ON 1000 IT LIFTS THE BACK AT 160

Two Smoker
21st April 2005, 18:38
When racing all four (no matter which bike) On the street, RG= all four GSX-R = 1 and 2

sels1
21st April 2005, 23:10
One of us is doing it right and the other one is a copy cat. :D

One of us is doing it right and the other two are copycats :niceone:

Stevo
22nd April 2005, 01:51
I have read this whole thread and still have no idea what I do. Most of the time I don't use brakes on my road bike. I mean sure I do round town intersections etc but generally not too much. Basically I like to go fast and hold a good steady pace.
Besides I might wear them out, which to fix would cost money that could otherwise be spent to make the race bike go FASTER!!!!!!!
Honestly, I don't really think about braking enough to know what I do it just happens. I practice stopping in a hurry periodically just for amusement, and so I know the feel of the brakes etc :drinknsin

Ned
22nd April 2005, 17:04
4 fingers. Used to use 2 but too often I got into situations where i had to move the 3rd and 4th finger out of the way under heavy braking. Figured out in the end that the time it takes to move to full hand braking could be the time difference between safety and a collision.

Full hand braking now feels comfortable and safe and anyway... Rossi does it :)

Sutage
22nd April 2005, 21:31
Because im still learning i grip the throttle and keep index and third finger extended so that the only way i can brake is by realising the throttle completely, i found it a pretty effective way of learning breaks and that you have to release throttle before break unless you wanna lose control

pommie girl
22nd April 2005, 21:40
Yup, use all four, but I've got small girlie hands and have to actually change my hand position to reach for the brake - plus, only just got my right hand out of cast from the last accident and have limited movement, which compounds the prob...

Lee Rusty
22nd April 2005, 21:59
anyone using two fingers only if your other fingers are behind the lever they are at risk

Try this try pulling brake lever back as far as you can with two fingers - now try with all four - it will come further back.

now that is extreme, but consider this,

If you drop your bike with two fingers behind the lever. add your weight to the weight of your bike, add some more for the forward momentum (probably someone with be able to work out the times factor at different speeds) and consider the fact that the handlebars are the widest point of your bike and will stike the ground first.

Still want your fingers in there.

Try this - it will feel unnatural at first but it is worth trying to see if you get a good result - keep all four fingers over the brake so they can not get jammed - use the pinky and ring finger to operate your brake while keeping the other two in reserve for emergency braking.
Using the fingers at the end of the lever (furtheresr from the brake lever fulcrum) will mean less effort for best braking, particually on modern bikes which have such good brakes.

Give it a go - let me know if you like it. It does take some getting used to but is worth it I reckon.

James Deuce
22nd April 2005, 22:21
anyone using two fingers only if your other fingers are behind the lever they are at risk

Try this try pulling brake lever back as far as you can with two fingers - now try with all four - it will come further back.

now that is extreme, but consider this,

If you drop your bike with two fingers behind the lever. add your weight to the weight of your bike, add some more for the forward momentum (probably someone with be able to work out the times factor at different speeds) and consider the fact that the handlebars are the widest point of your bike and will stike the ground first.

Still want your fingers in there.

Try this - it will feel unnatural at first but it is worth trying to see if you get a good result - keep all four fingers over the brake so they can not get jammed - use the pinky and ring finger to operate your brake while keeping the other two in reserve for emergency braking.
Using the fingers at the end of the lever (furtheresr from the brake lever fulcrum) will mean less effort for best braking, particually on modern bikes which have such good brakes.

Give it a go - let me know if you like it. It does take some getting used to but is worth it I reckon.

Thanks to thoracic outlet syndrome, due to compression fractures of c4 and 5 I can't actually really feel what the outer fingers of my right hand are doing, sounds like a nice idea, but the reality is that my index and middle finger are always going to give me the best braking feel. I've trained my outer two fingers to stay curled on the throttle so I know where they are.

I think the important thing to realise is that no one method works the same for every person. Every teacher worth their salt knows how to adapt a lesson to fit a student.

The great thing about this thread is that there is a discussion going on that lets people realise that they CAN try different things if something isn't working for them.

Zed
22nd April 2005, 22:26
So what do other people use?I had to go riding to recall just what fingers I use to brake and I found that I have adopted the "outside three finger" methodology most of the time. :headbang:

I don't think that any particular way is the most correct because we all develop our own unique style of riding over time which incorporates different methods of braking, cornering, gear changing, wheelying, etc, that suits us!

Sensei
22nd April 2005, 22:35
2 finger's under 160k , 3 over 200k's

SENSEI

Zed
22nd April 2005, 22:43

SENSEIYeah right Sensei, I saw your name down on the "foot brake only" user list!! My foot brake is pretty much redundant...unless I'm on a hill start that is!

Sensei
22nd April 2005, 22:47
Yea ZED don't ya use the back with your finger's LOL .

Ned
23rd April 2005, 00:40

SENSEI
err... no fingers 160 to 200? Or middle finger?

FEINT
23rd April 2005, 08:38
I use the first 2 fingers. I saw Nakano use the last 3 fingers, I haven't had the time to try that yet.. :whistle:

Ixion
23rd April 2005, 08:47
It's going to depend on the bike. How heavy the brakes are, how wide the lever span etc. On the BMW I cover with index and long fingers, brake hard with 3 . My pinky isn't long enough to reach the brake lever !

But on Li'l Rat Bike I cover with long finger and brake hard with long and ring. Maybe adding the pinky just because it falls in place.

On the T500 it is whole hand always. Heavy 8 inch 2LS drum brake.

sAsLEX
23rd April 2005, 11:24
I find if I use all four for braking I cant modulate the throttle correctly so the outside two fingers grip that to blip when downchanging.

Lee Rusty
23rd April 2005, 11:31
I find if I use all four for braking I cant modulate the throttle correctly so the outside two fingers grip that to blip when downchanging.

Do you blip throttle when down changing - bike gearbox does not need it.
THat was an extremely old fashioned idea to bring G/box shafts up to same speed - not needed and in fact just send fuel up to God - and he dont pay for it.

note this post has been edited by writer

Edited as sychromesh was not the correct term to use, I teach truck driving and used incorrect terrminology.

Ixion
23rd April 2005, 11:48
Do you blip throttle when down changing - bike gearbox does not need it.
THat was an extremely old fashioned idea when there was no sychromesh to bring G/box shafts up to same speed - not needed and in fact just send fuel up to God - and he dont pay for it.

I have never seen (or even heard of ) a synchromesh motorcycle gearbox. Harleys, maybe?. And I do have a very vague memory of Scott offering one on one of the Squirrels. Dogs, all the way on everyone I've opened.

Sniper
23rd April 2005, 11:50
I have never seen (or even heard of ) a synchromesh motorcycle gearbox. Harleys, maybe?. And I do have a very vague memory of Scott offering one on one of the Squirrels. Dogs, all the way on everyone I've opened.

Thats the general idea on all Bike gearboxes isnt it?

Ixion
23rd April 2005, 11:53
Thats the general idea on all Bike gearboxes isnt it?
All that I've personally encountered, though I wouldn't rule out some manufacturer having put a synchro box into a cruiser.

Lee Rusty
23rd April 2005, 12:11
see my original statement - I have edited it to correct.

used wrong terminology - I teach truck driving as well as bikes and used the wrong explaination. Must be getting old.

However there is still no need to blip throttle to change down - with some exceptions on very old machinery

sAsLEX
23rd April 2005, 12:15
so come flying in to corner, say a second gear corner, at fifth gear speeds brake dont worrry about blipping/throttling just mash down three gears and drop the clutch?!? To me this would lock the rear with the engine not spinning at the required revs the rear tyre would be going alot slower than it should be?!?

maybe my blipping was not the correct term

Mr Skid
23rd April 2005, 12:37
so come flying in to corner, say a second gear corner, at fifth gear speeds brake dont worrry about blipping/throttling just mash down three gears and drop the clutch?!? To me this would lock the rear with the engine not spinning at the required revs the rear tyre would be going alot slower than it should be?!?

Works for me! :niceone:

Ixion
23rd April 2005, 12:44
Works for me! :niceone:
Works for the gravel specialist ! :killingme :killingme

Mr Skid
23rd April 2005, 13:04
Works for the gravel specialist ! :killingme :killingme
Well, maybe not on my surface of choice.. :shifty:

James Deuce
23rd April 2005, 13:53

maybe my blipping was not the correct term

And that is why I blip the throttle on the downchange. It is especially necessary with a high compression twin, and I find that progress is much smoother without transmitting the shock of suddenly increasing revs through the entire drive train. I'd go through chain, sprockets, cush drive rubbers, and gear selector forks on a regular basis if I didn't show SOME mechanical sympathy. First time I went from 2nd to 1st on the TRX on a slippery surface downhill I got a big shock as my arse overtook my nose. Big handful on downchanges to match revs from that point on.

scroter
5th May 2005, 16:02
see my original statement - I have edited it to correct.

used wrong terminology - I teach truck driving as well as bikes and used the wrong explaination. Must be getting old.

However there is still no need to blip throttle to change down - with some exceptions on very old machinery

what do you mean by blipping the throttle?

im pretty sure its just to lift the revs to somewhere near where they should be for the gear your selecting, it stops rear wheel hop/lockup on bikes without slipper clutchs etc, and enables gear selection on non-synchromesh gearboxs like road rangers. hell i even do it in the truck just to smooth out the gear changes and thats a synchro box.

are you confusing it with blipping the throttle when you change up?

i would really like to hear your views on this as a driving instructor, is there something ive missed?