PDA

View Full Version : Wellington Volunteers on the 17th

StoneY
4th November 2009, 09:06
Ok you lot

WEDNESDAY 11th, WAR council at PnJ folks

The Capital KBers are gonna have to stand up, and take a smack in the gob for the rest of the country

I have about 7 people ready to sacrifice the ride into parliament to be 'Ground Zero' marshalling personell
I need 15 if not 20 to make this run smoothly

Benefits:
Get to park outside Parliament as opossed to at the Stadium
Pretty pink/purple vests to wear (yet to be found too)
Undying gratitude of the motorcycling public for your personal sacrifice

Not so beneficial:
Miss the BIG ride so our incoming visitors can eb marshalled to correct parking structures (Stadium Policy we have to 'stack' the bikes specifically)
Monitor and assist pedestrian accesses with police Traffic officers
Check and assist with bikes that 'leak' to ensure newspaper etc underneath as required (near impossible but a visible effort helps)
Gate duty at Parliament

There it is people

Any willing to assist, there will be a meeting next Wednesday, 11th at the Parrot n Jigger conference room
7pm

Also hoping to get WIMA HOG and Ulysses reps to that one, as we hope to have sorted the 12 deciples by then

Step up Capital dwellers, your country needs you!

Trudes
4th November 2009, 09:41
Yep I'll do it, wasn't keen on "The Big Ride" anyway... I hate crowds, especially when they're all riding bikes!!

Ixion
4th November 2009, 10:52
Could some of the scooter riders (who presumably won't be riding in the convoy) help with this ?

allycatz
4th November 2009, 10:57
Could some of the scooter riders (who presumably won't be riding in the convoy) help with this ?

Scooter rider here from Kapiti....could be a goer as Im not working that day

Trudes
4th November 2009, 12:36
If my bike is going to be parked outside Parliament in full view of many people I don't mind putting the pack rack on and putting a jolly big sign or something on it if you want.

Clockwork
4th November 2009, 12:39
(Thought I'd already responded to this once but) yes, I can help with this.

scootnz
4th November 2009, 12:46
I will if I can arrange childcare. Can't make the parrot n jigger meeting though.

Mystic13
4th November 2009, 13:12
What do you mean parking at the stadium? I thought we were riding on Parliament?

If we're parking at the stadium can I just check, how far are we going to have to walk in full motorcycle kit? According to google 1-1.5km's. So can you confirm the distance and how we're getting from A-B.

Are we serious? I'm riding down to go to parliament. My thought is if we can't ride up to the ministers then the ministers should come to us. I want them standing in front of hundreds of bikes. Not the much smaller crowd of motorcyclists. Surely there is enough room in parliament grounds? And the adjoining street.

I may have misunderstood all of this but can you tell me the format of arriving and presenting this stuff to parliament.

Thanks.

And thanks to all you Wellington people for volunteering.

Trudes
4th November 2009, 13:15
I can't speak for the organisers, but the road around the Parliament buildings would not accomodate several hundred bikes parking and I'm pretty sure you are not allowed vehicles on Parliament lawn.

Laxi
4th November 2009, 13:20
police conditions apparently, we are to park on the walkway at the stadium, it leads to the train station which is pretty much across the road from parliment, brents done a bloody good job and has the police onside at the moment, if that means walking a few hundred metres, then we'll just have to suck it up

StoneY
4th November 2009, 13:23
What do you mean parking at the stadium? I thought we were riding on Parliament?

If we're parking at the stadium can I just check, how far are we going to have to walk in full motorcycle kit? According to google 1-1.5km's. So can you confirm the distance and how we're getting from A-B.

Are we serious? I'm riding down to go to parliament. My thought is if we can't ride up to the ministers then the ministers should come to us. I want them standing in front of hundreds of bikes. Not the much smaller crowd of motorcyclists. Surely there is enough room in parliament grounds? And the adjoining street.

I may have misunderstood all of this but can you tell me the format of arriving and presenting this stuff to parliament.

Thanks.

And thanks to all you Wellington people for volunteering.

its 150 METERS from where WE park on Fran Wilde Walkway to Parliament

After the Ulysses gig an Saturday, the CENOTAPH, (a ntional war memorial) was smothered in oil stains (the pavement around it was anyway)

The council have had a fit, we enarly lost all support from the authorities because of a few idiots the refuse to duly maintain thier bikes

150 Meters....I am sure any of us can walk THAT far

Room for about 300 bikes is reserved in front of Parliament
This is for 'wildcards', both convoys are being directed straight into the Stadium, this was made a non-negotiable point by city officials

Sorry we cannot do better but the 'less than stisfactory' parking arrangments made by one small protest has made it expodentially more difficult to get the access we were seeking, and a compromise has been made

We are fortunate to have this access, vehicular parking on this part of the stadium has never before been allowed..... major coup
I have walked the route myself...its easy in bike gear

StoneY
4th November 2009, 13:24
If my bike is going to be parked outside Parliament in full view of many people I don't mind putting the pack rack on and putting a jolly big sign or something on it if you want.

Yes please

I have an 'easy target' poster on my Top Box (covering the bloody access handle arrrgh)

Thats the one benefit of joining the volunteers, you get to park at the big house

Mystic13
4th November 2009, 14:32
its 150 METERS from where WE park on Fran Wilde Walkway to Parliament

After the Ulysses gig an Saturday, the CENOTAPH, (a ntional war memorial) was smothered in oil stains (the pavement around it was anyway)

The council have had a fit, we enarly lost all support from the authorities because of a few idiots the refuse to duly maintain thier bikes

150 Meters....I am sure any of us can walk THAT far

Room for about 300 bikes is reserved in front of Parliament
This is for 'wildcards', both convoys are being directed straight into the Stadium, this was made a non-negotiable point by city officials

Sorry we cannot do better but the 'less than stisfactory' parking arrangments made by one small protest has made it expodentially more difficult to get the access we were seeking, and a compromise has been made

We are fortunate to have this access, vehicular parking on this part of the stadium has never before been allowed..... major coup
I have walked the route myself...its easy in bike gear

Thanks. That all makes some sense. I'm not thrilled about it but it makes sense. (edit: for council and the police but who's protesting here). As for council consenting or not. The reality is this is a protest and if the council don't consent the bikes will still arrive. For my money they're better to have some say than none. I wouldn't be too eager to give away stuff. I personally believe you can take a firmer stance with them on the basis of striking a balance and ensuring orderly control of the motorcycle riders.

So really they want to keep bikes away from the Cenotaph. This may be obvious but wouldn't that be best achieved by putting temporary barriers around the Cenotaph. Or are they waiting for the horse to bolt again. You might want to suggest that to them. You'd think they'd be aware of the obvious. When parking spaces are full motorcycles WILL park elsewhere.

I have noticed that motorcycle riders sometimes ignore the rules. I think unhappy motorcycle riders are probably more likely to.

allycatz
4th November 2009, 14:43
So are you expecting a lot of public interest/browsers in the bikes parked at the stadium...could be a good chance to do gold coin collection for charity?

scootnz
4th November 2009, 14:44
:Offtopic: [So now scooters are needed? but the scooter forum is not allowed in Motorcycle subtypes where all other bike types are?]

Mystic13
4th November 2009, 14:49
:Offtopic: [So now scooters are needed? but the scooter forum is not allowed in Motorcycle subtypes where all other bike types are?]

A huge injustice. I suggest we start a protest to get this changed. lol. Actually the place is controlled by a few well meaning heads so you could just ask them. Of course I live in ignorance I had no idea this was going on.

allycatz
4th November 2009, 14:49

Your rego is affected here too....its not about KB...besides I'm happy to support my mates with bikes as a pillion rider

Kinje
4th November 2009, 14:52
I can probably help as I work across the road from the beehive and wasn't really keen on riding to the duckpond then turning round and riding back.

craneman
4th November 2009, 14:52
Is there any parking closer to Parliament for those with disability's and who carry disabled permits

scootnz
4th November 2009, 14:53
Not wanting to threadjack, but we did get moved after I made my request, for about an hour, then moved back to offtopic...

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=111536

Don't want to post further about this in this thread.

A huge injustice. I suggest we start a protest to get this changed. lol. Actually the place is controlled by a few well meaning heads so you could just ask them. Of course I live in ignorance I had no idea this was going on.

craneman
4th November 2009, 14:59
has there been any parking made available close to parliment for disabled riders

Ixion
4th November 2009, 15:01
Very good point. And what about trikes? And sidecars .

325rocket
4th November 2009, 15:02
(Thought I'd already responded to this once but) yes, I can help with this.

same here.

would it help to start a rolling post? ... if you are willing to help put your name up. the next person copies your name and adds their own and so on. would keep it easy to keep track of whos in.

Trudes
Clockwork
325rocket

dogsnbikes
4th November 2009, 15:03
Ok you lot

The Capital KBers are gonna have to stand up, and take a smack in the gob for the rest of the country

I have about 7 people ready to sacrifice the ride into parliament to be 'Ground Zero' marshalling personell

Benefits:

Not so beneficial:
Miss the BIG ride so our incoming visitors can eb marshalled to correct parking structures (Stadium Policy we have to 'stack' the bikes specifically)
Check and assist with bikes that 'leak' to ensure newspaper etc underneath as required (near impossible but a visible effort helps)
Gate duty at Parliament

There it is people

Any willing to assist, there will be a meeting next Tusday at the Parrot n Jigger conference room
7pm

Also hoping to get WIMA HOG and Ulysses reps to that one, as we hope to have sorted the 12 deciples by then

Since I can't ride and doesn't look like I can get a non two wheeled ride
I may be able to help out with the parking but can't comfirm until next wednesday if I have the 17th of ...wont be able to make it to the jig tho

but I can certainly help out with carboard and news paper of the ferry for leaky bikes

StoneY
4th November 2009, 15:08
same here.

would it help to start a rolling post? ... if you are willing to help put your name up. the next person copies your name and adds their own and so on. would keep it easy to keep track of whos in.

Trudes
Clockwork
325rocket

Knew you were a starter Rocket, cheers bro
Can you still get the quality RT's on the day? Would be invaluable

I will be revising the volunteer list tonight (late) and getting us a social group section to plan in away from the public spam

On ya you lot you all rock

325rocket
4th November 2009, 15:25
Knew you were a starter Rocket, cheers bro
Can you still get the quality RT's on the day? Would be invaluable

yep. can prob get more if needed.
how many do you think we need? they are limited to a coverage area of about 4km.

StoneY
5th November 2009, 07:24
4 Km is sweet man, we will be in a 1 sq KM area basically

MEETING on Wedensday 11th team
PnJ meeting room

Cant get Tuesday, hope Wednesday is ok with everyone

Cheers all see you there, we will make final plans etc

Tonight I will create a social group for BIKEOI action volunteers
All who expressed interest will get invites

Clockwork
5th November 2009, 07:44
has there been any parking made available close to parliment for disabled riders

Why wouldn't disabled riders use the dsabled parking that's already provided around parliament or are you concerned that there will not be enough?

StoneY
5th November 2009, 08:22
Why wouldn't disabled riders use the dsabled parking that's already provided around parliament or are you concerned that there will not be enough?

Mobility issues
Thats a good point BUT not what he means I think

The whole of Moleswroth St in front of Parliament is reserved for Bikes that day, anyone with mobilty issues (beyond the leathers and helmet that is) can park there,

However BOTH large convoys are being directed to the Stadium with NO exceptions, none at all if your in the SH1 or SH2 convoy you ARE parking at the stadium

If anyone in the convoys has a mobility issue please advise the marshalls at the gathering points....

I might add I have never yet seen a motorcycle with a Mobility Pass to use the reserved parks, (dont meant they aint out there) but that is why this issue has not yet been addressed

Can I ask here and now, is this a real concern for anyone, do you have a mobility issue we need to address? Or are you raising an issue you think was overlooked (and it was in all honesty)

Now its been raised

I will make sure anyone with genuine mobility issues is directed to the parking AT Parliament

But they will need to let me know so I can heve them weened out of the large rides, otherwise the cops will just shove them in the Stadium with the convoy

Its just the logistics of such a huge ride, no ones will be left out, but we need to follow the plan to pull it off

StoneY
5th November 2009, 08:30
Scooters as far as I am concerned ARE a form of motorcycle, and whatever is set up here on the forum, is not reflective of the fact your also in ACC's bullseye

Its been deemed unsafe for the scooters to convoy on the highway, and thats fair enough (sorry scoot's peep's but its for everyones safety, not a discrimination)

If any Scooter riders wish to assist in marshalling at Parliament and the Stadium your assistance would be gratefully accepted

allycatz
5th November 2009, 08:35
Scooters as far as I am concerned ARE a form of motorcycle, and whatever is set up here on the forum, is not reflective of the fact your also in ACC's bullseye

Its been deemed unsafe for the scooters to convoy on the highway, and thats fair enough (sorry scoot's peep's but its for everyones safety, not a discrimination)

If any Scooter riders wish to assist in marshalling at Parliament and the Stadium your assistance would be gratefully accepted

Goes without saying really....if anyone from Kapiti wants to go to meeting next Wednesday, I'm happy to play sober cage driver, best ya don't get carsick on the Paekak Hill is all

Ixion
5th November 2009, 10:59
I am absolutely emphatic that scooters MUST be included. We need a contingent of scooters , as big as possible.

(Presumably the "scooters don't ride the convoy" doesn't apply to Burgman650s and such ? )

Ixion
5th November 2009, 10:59
Does anyone in Wellington have an eight year old who's not shy or afraid of crowds they could bring along.

Just thinking a thought.

Reido
5th November 2009, 11:08
If you cant find anyone else, i'll help out, not to keen on riding in a massive group, so this would solve that problem

i'm leaving for welly on sunday , so should be there sunday night / mon morning

Trudes
5th November 2009, 19:02
Meeting for volunteers, is it next Tuesday or Thursday night?

Hawkeye
5th November 2009, 19:19
Hey Stoney,

You already have me down to help. I also have a couple of RT's available for the organising.

scootnz
5th November 2009, 19:24
I can arrange more scooters to come along from the local scooter club if we can park at Parliament. I have already arranged to help marshall and will be there on a vespa. If someone can give me accurate info (exactly where and when) to pass on to MY scooter forum I will do so.

I am absolutely emphatic that scooters MUST be included. We need a contingent of scooters , as big as possible.

(Presumably the "scooters don't ride the convoy" doesn't apply to Burgman650s and such ? )

Laxi
5th November 2009, 19:25
Does anyone in Wellington have an eight year old who's not shy or afraid of crowds they could bring along.

Just thinking a thought.

can arrange that, my wifes bringing our 6mth old anyway, cant gaurantee what the little bugger will say or do though<_<

Insanity_rules
5th November 2009, 21:40
My hand as it always has been is up. So the meeting is Wednesday the 11th?

MadDuck
5th November 2009, 21:49
For logistical reasons I cant be there for the meeting. I am happy to put my hand up for clean up duties.

If need be I will forgo the ride and put me to use where you need me Stoney.

Pedrostt500
5th November 2009, 21:55
Yep my hand is up if you need my help. PM me.

Bald Eagle
5th November 2009, 21:58
Meeting for volunteers, is it next Tuesday or Thursday night?

Wednesday 7pm P&J

Her_C4
5th November 2009, 22:05
I am unable to attend the meeting next Wednesday and have already offered to work with Cathy on taking photo's and will be there well before the bike/bikers arrive.

Am happy to help out elsewhere as well if necessary(clean up?):done:

madmal64
5th November 2009, 22:25

Very good point. And what about trikes? And sidecars .

Mobility issues

If anyone in the convoys has a mobility issue please advise the marshalls at the gathering points....

I might add I have never yet seen a motorcycle with a Mobility Pass to use the reserved parks, (dont meant they aint out there) but that is why this issue has not yet been addressed

Can I ask here and now, is this a real concern for anyone, do you have a mobility issue we need to address? Or are you raising an issue you think was overlooked (and it was in all honesty)

[

Craneman does has a mobilty pass! Some/most would call it a disability. Was talking to him tonight & Im pretty sure he will ride his Vulcan.
It was an honest question & not a piss take. I will make sure he makes himself known to the marshalls

Trudes
6th November 2009, 06:02
Stoney, can you update your first post please to say Wednesday at the P&J for the meeting thanks.

StoneY
6th November 2009, 10:38
Thanks for the reminder Trudes, too many things goin on to see it all

We have made huge progress

Anyone know where we could find a sponsor for a PA system?

One used by ulysses is 570$ for the day, includess delivery setup and recovery and these guys know Parliament well

I have managed to source 720$ in sponorship for the Toilets, so thats one ticked off but I have exhausted my financial goodwill around this city

Who else out there has a lead on maybe a couple of NON Wellington based bike shops etc that can assist with this one???

Wellington Industry has paid for the loo's, need more help and clocks ticking

scootnz
7th November 2009, 18:59
Group here: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/group.php?groupid=140

Ok you lot

Benefits:

Not so beneficial:
Gate duty at Parliament

There it is people

Any willing to assist, there will be a meeting next Wednesday, 11th at the Parrot n Jigger conference room
7pm

klingon
8th November 2009, 11:48
StoneY, as discussed with you on the phone, I will be flying to Wellington that morning and will go straight to Parliament with my 84-year-old mother in law. :love: I have arranged for friends to meet us there and take her to a nearby cafe so she can sit it out. Once that hand-over has happened I will be available!

(Ma in law has two sons who ride big bikes so she loves bikers. Don't be surprised if she wants to give you all hugs and pat you on the head and call you 'dear')

I am pretty good at bossing people around and have done a lot of event management so will be very happy to play it by ear and help out where I can.

Unfortunately I can't get to any of the Wellington planning meetings, so I hope someone on the day can just hand me a map and a run sheet, showing where people need to be by when, and I will work it out from there.

I also need to be inside the beehive before 2pm for a prior engagement (!!) so I will be happy to help out until 1pm, then I will need to scoot off!

Pedrostt500
8th November 2009, 17:06
StoneY, as discussed with you on the phone, I will be flying to Wellington that morning and will go straight to Parliament with my 84-year-old mother in law. :love: I have arranged for friends to meet us there and take her to a nearby cafe so she can sit it out. Once that hand-over has happened I will be available!

(Ma in law has two sons who ride big bikes so she loves bikers. Don't be surprised if she wants to give you all hugs and pat you on the head and call you 'dear')

I am pretty good at bossing people around and have done a lot of event management so will be very happy to play it by ear and help out where I can.

Unfortunately I can't get to any of the Wellington planning meetings, so I hope someone on the day can just hand me a map and a run sheet, showing where people need to be by when, and I will work it out from there.

I also need to be inside the beehive before 2pm for a prior engagement (!!) so I will be happy to help out until 1pm, then I will need to scoot off!

How about just letting some one with the Local Knoledge, who Knows the lie of the land, and who can make the meetings, thus having first hand information play Boss, and you just be a Soldier, like the rest of us and do your little bit for the cause.

rustic101
8th November 2009, 17:15
Ok you lot

Benefits:

Not so beneficial:
Gate duty at Parliament

There it is people

7pm

Able bodies. I have taken annual leave for that day just have a farewell up at the road in Molesworth (unsure of timing but this is more important) more than willing to 'stand out' in the crowd, or is that 'pack'... Just PM me to confirm..Sam

Pedrostt500
9th November 2009, 16:25
I've been having a little think,(yes it hurt) about leaky oil bikes at the Stadium, I will ask the damage of a product we use for mopping up oil spills at work, if we get the cardboard trays they put fish and chips in these days and we put a cup full of oil mop in each tray, then those owners of bikes that like to be Externaly lubricated, ie leak oil can get a tray to put under their bike, maybe we also get a rock for each try so the wind doesn't blow the trays away.
Will bring above information to meeting Wednesday.

klingon
9th November 2009, 16:46
How about just letting some one with the Local Knoledge, who Knows the lie of the land, and who can make the meetings, thus having first hand information play Boss, and you just be a Soldier, like the rest of us and do your little bit for the cause.

I didn't mean that I would be the boss - just boss people around!

My interpretation of the role of the 'foot soldiers' (of which I intend to be one) is to get all the right people in the right places at the right times, according to the run sheet. That involves telling the millions of leather-clad bikers who show up, "you need to be over by that pillar, facing the front, in five minutes!"

In order to be a good soldier I will need a map and a copy of the run sheet so I know who is meant to be where and when.

I spoke to StoneY on Saturday so he knows my situation and I'm sure he understands my offer to help. :yes:

scootnz
15th November 2009, 09:57
New thread here:

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=112360