PDA

View Full Version : RF900 occasionally not starting...

Mully
4th November 2009, 15:42
Hi Y'all,

The RF has developed a mildly annoying trait. At times, the start button doen't actually start the bike.

It's an intermittant issue - and a bit of percussive maintenance (i.e. smacking the switchblock) fixes it.

To my (immature, sleazy) mind, this is an electrical contact issue. My intent is to pull the switchblock apart, and give the connectors a bit of an emery cloth-ing clean-up.

So, what I want to know is:

Is this a simple job for a mechanical n00b? (i.e. is it obvious how to put it back together again?)
Are there any traps I should be aware of? (i.e. is there anything in there which is spring-loaded and likely to fire towards my eyes as soon as I loosen it up?)
Anything else this could be?

TIA,
Mully.

hayd3n
4th November 2009, 15:58
have you tried a simple spray with contact cleaner???

Mully
4th November 2009, 16:00
have you tried a simple spray with contact cleaner???

Pfft, simple.

I laugh in the face of simple.

So, no. I haven't.

It does live outside, so the possibility of crud or corrosion on the contacts is probably pretty high.

meowmix
4th November 2009, 16:04
The contact cleaner sounds good, after that there may be a conector somewhere with a loose wire.

hayd3n
4th November 2009, 16:13
try the contact cleaner
the bike shop down here thought my partners gn had a starter issue !!!
i gave the button a spray and it hasnt has a problem since

Mully
4th November 2009, 19:12
Righto - I'll give that a bash

riffer
4th November 2009, 19:16
and Marcus...

buy a bloody rain cover for your bike. FFS.

Mully
4th November 2009, 19:28
and Marcus...

buy a bloody rain cover for your bike. FFS.

Here's the thing:

I have one. It does an admiral job.

However, I don't like to put it on the bike when the engine/exhaust are hot. So I get home and wait for it to cool down.

All too often, being Auckland, it then pisses down and I don't like to put the cover on when it's wet (in fact, I think the instructions said not to)

So nyah.

riffer
4th November 2009, 19:35
Then get your bloody fiancee's car out of the gargre mate.

Gargres are for bikes.

Please don't tell me you don't have a gargre.

Mully
4th November 2009, 19:39
Please don't tell me you don't have a gargre.

Sooooooo.... How 'bout them All Blacks....

riffer
4th November 2009, 19:41
Dude...

you better be coming down here for the Bikeoi so I can knock some sense into you...

blossomsowner
4th November 2009, 19:42
It does live outside, so the possibility of crud or corrosion on the contacts is probably pretty high.[/QUOTE]

What the????????????????????how could you consign such a noble beast to live in the cold?????????

Mully
4th November 2009, 19:44
you better be coming down here for the Bikeoi so I can knock some sense into you...

Sorry. You're welcome to come to the Auckland one next week.....

Well, I didn't have a bike when we bought the house. And the way the house sits on the section, we can't build one.

What the????????????????????how could you consign such a noble beast to live in the cold?????????

:cry: I know.....

hayd3n
5th November 2009, 05:51
Sorry. You're welcome to come to the Auckland one next week.....

Well, I didn't have a bike when we bought the house. And the way the house sits on the section, we can't build one.

:cry: I know.....

same here m8 no garage sux

F5 Dave
5th November 2009, 16:05
Yeah pretty sure mine 9 started to do that more & more despite living a indoor cat sort of life (when not in use). It was some bike anyway, must have been the RF. Opened & contact cleanered it. Don't think I bothered to take it apart. . . [memory access. . . corrupted fields]

Never happened again after that.

Pussy
5th November 2009, 19:06
This stuff is good.....

FROSTY
8th November 2009, 11:58
OHH FFS bring the fucken thing here.
BTW I reckon if you dont mind a bit of ugly you could have a handy dandy bike shed on the side of ya house

Sidewinder
8th November 2009, 12:02
gsxr ftw:crybaby::crybaby::crybaby:

Mully
8th November 2009, 12:49
BTW I reckon if you dont mind a bit of ugly you could have a handy dandy bike shed on the side of ya house

Frosty, you're a married man...

You know it doesn't matter one iota whether or not I mind a bit of ugly.....

FROSTY
8th November 2009, 13:01
Dude you need to SELL the concept to mrs mully.
Common sense really--If she wants the fancy wedding you need to get to work --if the bike craps out you can't get to work --so ya need a shed

meowmix
8th November 2009, 13:26
Common sense really--If she wants the fancy wedding you need to get to work --if the bike craps out you can't get to work --so ya need a shed

Your trying to use logic to convince the mrs!?

Mully
8th November 2009, 13:57

If the bike doesn't go:

FROSTY
8th November 2009, 14:08
If the bike doesn't go:--You might not make it to the wedding .......

hayd3n
16th November 2009, 06:34
fix the bike yet?
the weathers getting warmer

Mully
27th November 2009, 12:24
fix the bike yet?
the weathers getting warmer

It's an intermittent thing.

I'm just dealing with it until I can get to my local mechanic *cough*Frosty*cough*