PDA

View Full Version : http://www.51st.co.nz/

Eddieb
6th November 2009, 12:24
Just found a link ot this on the adv site.

http://www.51st.co.nz/

5 kiwi guys doing Vladivostok to London in 2010.

Bass
6th November 2009, 16:33
Now, I haven't scanned the site in detail, but the cursory glance I gave it sorta indicated that they are taking a bunch of (shock horror) DR 650's (chuckle). Not a katie, KLR or a beemer in sight.

Bugger! hahahahahahahahahahaha.....................cough, choke, wheeze........hahaha.............

One of them is over on ADVrider looking for help with a pannier rack.

Obviously no taste at all................

Bet they all get there with very little trouble too.

I have to go before I have a hernia from laughing.

Squiggles
8th November 2009, 15:01
Now, I haven't scanned the site in detail, but the cursory glance I gave it sorta indicated that they are taking a bunch of (shock horror) DR 650's (chuckle).

Looks like one of the black DR's that were on earlier this year (with the DJ kit, motard guard, ims tank & screen), a new white one, and a DRZ250 :eek5:

Sidewinder
8th November 2009, 15:04
sweet im keen were do i sign up?

Bass
9th November 2009, 08:28
Looks like one of the black DR's, a new white one, and a DRZ250 :eek5:

Quite likely.
Just giving the trolls a poke with a long stick - once too often by the looks of things.

ducatijim
9th November 2009, 12:13
Quite likely.
Just giving the trolls a poke with a long stick - once too often by the looks of things.

Wot.....you mean you think there are people on(in?) here who think there would be BETTER bikes than a trusty DR to undertake this with?:woohoo:

Shame on you:Oops:

NordieBoy
9th November 2009, 16:10
BETTER bikes than a trusty DR to undertake this with?:woohoo:

Unpossible...

Bass
10th November 2009, 07:46
Shame on you:Oops:

Unpossible...

Ah yes.
The troops rally at last.

NordieBoy
10th November 2009, 08:02
Ah yes.
The troops rally at last.

Our Kool Aid is better that their Kool Aid :wari:

ducatijim
10th November 2009, 08:59
Unpossible...

Oh........so elequent:woohoo:, well said that man!

clint640
10th November 2009, 09:45
Yeah but by crikey are they ever gunna be in the shit unless they spend the price of the bike again on upgrading the tank, seat, engine, suspension, brakes etc. If it aint orange it's a lemon I say. ;) :Pokey: :laugh:

...actually if I didn't know my 640 so well I'd probably get a DR for that sort of trip too...

Cheers
Clint

Bass
10th November 2009, 10:55
...actually if I didn't know my 640 so well I'd probably get a DR for that sort of trip too...

Cheers
Clint

I've always thought they were a bit like a series 1 Land Rover - quite a few shortcomings but hard to kill.

Oh, and you only have to spend half the price of the bike again.................

Their BIG advantage for a trip like that one though, is that they would probably run just fine on vodka. I've put all sorts of interesting stuff in the tank on mine and it just doesn't seem to care.

LBD
10th November 2009, 11:07
And they are coming to visit Bishkek/Kyrgyzstan.....

clint640
10th November 2009, 12:00
I've always thought they were a bit like a series 1 Land Rover - quite a few shortcomings but hard to kill..

That's being way too kind to Landrovers :shutup:

Their BIG advantage for a trip like that one though, is that they would probably run just fine on vodka. I've put all sorts of interesting stuff in the tank on mine and it just doesn't seem to care.

The 640 actually has a 'Retard' setting (no, I don't have it on all the time:blink:) you disconnect a wire & it winds back the ignition timing a bit to deal with low octane fuel. So no probs for me with 91 in the outback, liquid cooling helps in hot & loaded situations too. The DR might do a bit better on Durkadurkastani vodka though...

A trip through central asia & some of the stans is definitely in my future, be a few years away yet but. I'll be following these guys with interest. Hopefully they can come up with a vid as cool as the African Odyssey guys.There have been a couple of cool stans/mongolia ride reports on advrider recently too.

Cheers
Clint

Bass
10th November 2009, 13:49
There have been a couple of cool stans/mongolia ride reports on advrider recently too.

Cheers
Clint

Very true dat!
Not convinced about the liquid cooling though.
When it's working, no argument. However, I was always nervous about depending on a pissy little fan that looks like it's from some battery toy and my tendency to fall off lots, had me worried about holing radiators.

cooneyr
10th November 2009, 14:48
That's being way too kind to Landrovers :shutup:....

Bloody cruiser drivers :bleh: I've owned both and tend to agree through, likening a DR to a landy is way to kind to the landy's.

....The 640 actually has a 'Retard' setting (no, I don't have it on all the time:blink:) you disconnect a wire & it winds back the ignition timing a bit to deal with low octane fuel.....

The 950 has the same system.

I'd not be to worried about radiators just be carefuly about which bike you pick. On the 9x0's you'd be in a whole heap of trouble if you ever managed to damage the radiator from falling off. Cause the tanks surround it you would pretty much have to smash your tank/s or front end to damage it. I think the XR650, 640's and KLR's are pretty similar. Enduro and MX bikes are a whole other story but who would be mad enough to ride a Enduro bike for 10-20k km around the globe? (now that I've said it there is bound to be some nutter who has!)

Also it generally isn't too hard to find additional fans - fiting them up might be another story though.

Cheers R

clint640
10th November 2009, 14:51
Very true dat!
Not convinced about the liquid cooling though.

Yep, cooling fins don't break down very often. The fact that the DR is about the only big thumper available that is still air cooled is one of the things that makes it stand out as a remote area travel machine.

Although... some people seem to lunch water pumps etc every other Sunday but I've never had a problem in 80k km apart from one small easily repaired crack after a stack when I had the 12L tank on. The 18L tank wraps right around the rads & protects them pretty well. I think if I was planning a ride to hot places I'd put a second fan on the other rad. (a common mod) Does anyone put fans on DR oil coolers?

Cheers
Clint

ducatijim
10th November 2009, 14:56
Also it generally isn't too hard to find additional fans - fiting them up might be another story though.

Cheers R

The bloody hot air they expell all over ones self is a cunt in a 35'+ climate while,say; 'paddling' thru sand.

You simply couldn't do it for long( now wait.......the 'experts' will be along soon to try and teach me how to ride:whocares:)

I like air cooling too. Dick proof. Multi-tasking. Works for me:yes:

MikeyJ
10th November 2009, 19:36
Hey Guys,

Im one of the guys from the 51st Traverse - if you've seen the photos, im the guy who broke his leg. Firstly thanks heaps for putting the link to our site up etc.

We will be taking a few HD cameras over with us on the trip, and have been working closely with the African Odessey boys to make sure we are doing things right. So we will definately be putting together some footage of the trip for everyone - looking into getting some airtime for it when we get back, should be a laugh.

I personally am on one of the 250's, fingers crossed it will take me the distance. I know those DR's are a blimmin tough bike to break, well the engine anyhow. There was a pretty long decision making process to pick those bikes....

Feel free to ask any questions, or if you have some feedback - good or bad, i dont mind.

Bass
11th November 2009, 07:20
The bloody hot air they expell all over ones self is a cunt in a 35'+ climate while,say; 'paddling' thru sand.

You simply couldn't do it for long:

I think that Jamie makes a good point.
It's not so important over here, but we bought bikes specifically for the outback and it got up over 40 C around Darwin.

I was very surprised at how much heat came back from just that little oil cooler on the DR in tough going and hot conditions. A fan assisted blast would have me concerned about heat exhaustion.

Having said that, a second oil cooler and fan assisting them is not unheard of when uprating the DR.

clint640
11th November 2009, 10:35
Hey Guys,

Im one of the guys from the 51st Traverse - if you've seen the photos, im the guy who broke his leg. Firstly thanks heaps for putting the link to our site up etc.

Hi mate, good luck with the trip! There's nothing wrong with smaller bikes for big trips, my girlfriend has done heaps of touring on her 250 Kawasaki Sherpa now, including a 8500km Oz trip earlier this year, it's now done almost 40 000 km with no problems. One thing I'd check on the DR250 is the rear subframe strength, It's much easier to weld in some reinforcement now (if it does need it) than after it breaks off in bumfuckistan.

I was very surprised at how much heat came back from just that little oil cooler on the DR in tough going and hot conditions. A fan assisted blast would have me concerned about heat exhaustion.

Brainwave alert! Today's hot invention from Clint's Adventure Concepts Corporation is the reversible radiator fan. Just flick a switch to reverse the polarity & the fan blows instead of sucks! Coming soon to a KTM 640 near you... or not...:wacko:

Cheers
Clint

Bass
11th November 2009, 11:36
Brainwave alert! Today's hot invention from Clint's Adventure Concepts Corporation is the reversible radiator fan. Just flick a switch to reverse the polarity & the fan blows instead of sucks! Coming soon to a KTM 640 near you... or not...:wacko:

Cheers
Clint

Suck Mary Jane, suck!!!

"Blow" is only a figure of speech!

MikeyJ
11th November 2009, 12:16
One thing I'd check on the DR250 is the rear subframe strength, It's much easier to weld in some reinforcement now (if it does need it) than after it breaks off in bumfuckistan.

I guess we wanted an adventure, what kind of adventure would it be with all the creature comforts of home (I will eat these words when i'm freezing my bum off in Siberia).

Definately been looking into the rear subframe, problem being the warranty we have with Suzuki, they are not so happy with us messing too much with the subframe. Currently we have a 2 year worldwide warranty - you guys think it would be better to flag the warranty and weld up the bike?

We definately have been working out the best way of reinforcing parts of the bikes, especially around the rear end of these bikes - trying to get our way around the issues of warranty.

jezzaNZ
11th November 2009, 12:56
Warranty will count for nothing if you are stuck in the outer reaches of Bunfuckistan so bite the bullet and strengthen what you can now. You will probably have a lot of shit to carry and the weight will certainly be a strain on the subframe. Also I was riding the other weekend here in Melbourne in 30+ degrees on the 950 with radiator fan running full tit at the trafic lights and fuck me if my leg wasn't hot.....I think the fan is a great idea. Big difference in the heat generated by a 950 / 640 vs a 250 I would have thought so just do it. :bash:

clint640
11th November 2009, 13:36
Currently we have a 2 year worldwide warranty - you guys think it would be better to flag the warranty and weld up the bike?

Go hard on the welder would be my advice. As Jezza says, the warranty ain't worth shit unless you are near a dealer & even then they are probably going to want to send it back to head office for inspection.... come back in a month... then it'll take another month+ for them to ship out the part... assuming they haven't seen all the pics that will no doubt be up on the net of the poor little DRZ loaded up with 30kg of gear AND a case of vodka :shit: :laugh:

Although my full tour/camp luggage is only 20kg, plus maybe another kg+ of clothes if cold climates are involved.

One of your crew is an engineer eh? Get him to have a look at it, think about where your racks are bolting on, keeping the load low & forward, & eliminating stress raisers. A few little gussets can make a huge difference. Do it tidily, get a good paint match & Suzuki probably wouldn't even notice.

Cheers
Clint

clint640
11th November 2009, 13:46
Here's the link to some pics of what I did on the 640, the DRZ will be different but it may give you some ideas:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487154&highlight=subframe

Cheers
Clint

Mishmop
21st November 2009, 08:13
Hi guys, Mish her from the 51st traverse. Great comments. We have already sorted out the tanks we got sponsorship from the states. So three bikes will have 24ltr and one with a 17ltr and one yet to decide. My favourite line was from Jazz "Warranty will count for nothing if you are stuck in the outer reaches of Bunfuckistan so bite the bullet and strengthen what you can now."
I put a comment up on advrider about panniers but have it all sorted.
Any feed back about the trip or bikes welcome.

NordieBoy
21st November 2009, 10:43
We have already sorted out the tanks we got sponsorship from the states. So three bikes will have 24ltr and one with a 17ltr and one yet to decide.

What brand tanks?

NZ CBR
26th November 2009, 08:10
I'm a good friend of Rob(who is doing the ride), caught up with him while he's getting the rear of his bike welded and fortified down here in Chch!!

Think its great what you are doing so just keep thinking of every possible outcome and how you will get through it. Theres heap's(Rob and I sunk a few beverages whilst going over idea's). You can never be too prepared!

Ask the guy's on here any Q's and take them with a pinch of salt!!

Good luck

:headbang:

Mishmop
28th November 2009, 10:54
What brand tanks?

Hey Mate,

The tanks are acerbis 25ltr from just tanks in the states. We should get all the dr's and do a ride together, anyone keen?

NordieBoy
28th November 2009, 11:06
Do you have the tanks yet?

Which bikes will have the 24L ones?

Some people will know where I'm heading with this :D

Eddieb
28th November 2009, 11:16
Do you have the tanks yet?

Which bikes will have the 24L ones?

The vultures are circling...

Pedrostt500
28th November 2009, 11:33
Go hard on the welder would be my advice. As Jezza says, the warranty ain't worth shit unless you are near a dealer & even then they are probably going to want to send it back to head office for inspection.... come back in a month... then it'll take another month+ for them to ship out the part... assuming they haven't seen all the pics that will no doubt be up on the net of the poor little DRZ loaded up with 30kg of gear AND a case of vodka :shit: :laugh:

Although my full tour/camp luggage is only 20kg, plus maybe another kg+ of clothes if cold climates are involved.

One of your crew is an engineer eh? Get him to have a look at it, think about where your racks are bolting on, keeping the load low & forward, & eliminating stress raisers. A few little gussets can make a huge difference. Do it tidily, get a good paint match & Suzuki probably wouldn't even notice.

Cheers
Clint

Just throw away all the other crap and get a second crate of cheap Vodka, then you will blend in with the locals.

NordieBoy
28th November 2009, 11:37
The vultures are circling...

Not quite...

Squiggles
29th November 2009, 14:51

US vs UK Gallons?

NordieBoy
29th November 2009, 19:29
US vs UK Gallons?

Not quite...

Acerbis only make a big tank for the <1996 DR650's.

They can be made to fit but it's a hell of a lot of work and includes cutting the front of the seat off....

Mishmop
9th December 2009, 05:29
Hi guys,

Yea you are right it is off the 1996 model. There is a bit of work involved. I have the instructons to use with step by step guide will have to mess around with it our contact in the states has been helpful. Have you installed one before? Can you boys point me in the direction of all the motorcycle distributors in Nz eg Darbi & Euro motorcycles are two i know of? We are currently working on our parts list and motorcycle gear what recomendations would you boys have?

Mishmop
9th December 2009, 05:34
By chance do any of you have Mark and Janes contact details from the russian traverse? There website is no longer in operation.
Thanks for your help

Bass
9th December 2009, 07:18
Hey Mate,

The tanks are acerbis 25ltr from just tanks in the states. We should get all the dr's and do a ride together, anyone keen?
Since I am just up the road, would be interested to get together and compare notes.

Mishmop
13th December 2009, 07:27
Yea that would be awesome to catch up let us know when you are free "BASS"? Be mean to check each others bikes.

I have a contact where i can get dunlop 908's for $90 each do any of you have thoughts on tires i have spoken to a friend Chris he has every KTM you can think of and he rates them what are your thoughts? Mark and Jane ran contineltals or mitchelins ??? What do you boys run?

Thanks for your help so far guys.

We are doing some training together for a week in January the 11th through to the 18th if anyone any of you want to meet up we will be working through our conflict resolution, doing some offroad training and tour the north island. If you have any suggestions on riding spots let us know.

Have a safe christams hope you all get DR parts well i hope i do :)

cooneyr
13th December 2009, 07:49
....I have a contact where i can get dunlop 908's for $90 each do any of you have thoughts on tires i have spoken to a friend Chris he has every KTM you can think of and he rates them what are your thoughts? Mark and Jane ran contineltals or mitchelins ??? What do you boys run?.....

Are you sure you mean the D908 (http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=96)? This is the rally raid tyre that only comes in 140/80-18 inch size which wont fit the DR650 (17 inch rim) and is normally $350 each. If you do mean this then tell me where cause I'd buy 10 for that price.

If you really mean the D606 (http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=14) then I agree. I rate it highly (went through about 4 rears when I had a DR650) but given the load you guys will be carrying make sure you keep the pressures up to around 30psi and even then they will only last about 5000kms.

The Mitas E-09 (http://www.lmsimports.co.nz/products.php?cat=2&id=23) would be my choice given the km's you are doing

Cheers R

Mishmop
11th January 2010, 04:19
Not quite...

Acerbis only make a big tank for the <1996 DR650's.

They can be made to fit but it's a hell of a lot of work and includes cutting the front of the seat off....

Have you done one before they have arrived but i have the next two weeks to install three of them they fit pretty easy on the 250'2 but the 650 the bar behind the oild cooler is in the way thoughts around this?
thanks

Mishmop
11th January 2010, 04:27
Are you sure you mean the D908 (http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=96)? This is the rally raid tyre that only comes in 140/80-18 inch size which wont fit the DR650 (17 inch rim) and is normally $350 each. If you do mean this then tell me where cause I'd buy 10 for that price.

If you really mean the D606 (http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=14) then I agree. I rate it highly (went through about 4 rears when I had a DR650) but given the load you guys will be carrying make sure you keep the pressures up to around 30psi and even then they will only last about 5000kms.

The Mitas E-09 (http://www.lmsimports.co.nz/products.php?cat=2&id=23) would be my choice given the km's you are doing

Cheers R

Yea you where right about the tyre it wont fit but at that price should i buy them and slap them on trademe brand new they are exspensive and he has offered me two at $90 each i could get them for you?

I have posted a comment under the tyre section but there is over a thousand posts on tyres its a big decision and im running out of time i have a 7 day training run and need to make a decision on the tyres. We are going shopping today to look again and talk to some tyre shops but any thoughts around this would be useful. Thanks

NordieBoy
11th January 2010, 07:11
Have you done one before they have arrived but i have the next two weeks to install three of them they fit pretty easy on the 250'2 but the 650 the bar behind the oild cooler is in the way thoughts around this?
thanks

I saw one the other day and he said he had to move/bend the oil cooler bar a bit.
The IMS/Safari/Clarke tanks don't require any mods.

clint640
11th January 2010, 07:23
If you can get either a D908 or D606 140/80-18 new for $90 I'll take one off your hands even if you add on a $10 for your trouble + freight to Rotorua.

For tyres, unless you reckon you are going to see heaps of mud I would go for a Mitas EO-7 rear, you'll get near twice the mileage than you will out of something like a TKC 80, T-63, D606 etc & the price is good. Run something a bit more agressive on the front as they won't wear so fast, I've paired up a front D606, D605 & TKC 80 with the E0-7 rear, they all worked well.

Cheers
Clint

cooneyr
11th January 2010, 09:24
Yea you where right about the tyre it wont fit but at that price should i buy them and slap them on trademe brand new they are exspensive and he has offered me two at $90 each i could get them for you?...

I'll definatly have a D908rr (http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tirecatalog_tire.asp?id=96) rear in 140/80-18 for $90 plus a few dollars for PnP etc. PM sent.

If you can get either a D908 or D606 140/80-18 new for $90 I'll take one off your hands even if you add on a $10 for your trouble + freight to Rotorua.

For tyres, unless you reckon you are going to see heaps of mud I would go for a Mitas EO-7 rear, you'll get near twice the mileage than you will out of something like a TKC 80, T-63, D606 etc & the price is good. Run something a bit more agressive on the front as they won't wear so fast, I've paired up a front D606, D605 & TKC 80 with the E0-7 rear, they all worked well.

Cheers
Clint

Oi - back off, me first (I only one want to try you can have the other) :bleh:

Cheers R

clint640
11th January 2010, 10:22
Oi - back off, me first (I only one want to try you can have the other) :bleh:

Cheers R

Deal ;) I need to get something nobby in stock for the CCA.

To get back on topic, where is the 51st shakedown run? If you are coming down BOP way let me know, I've PM'ed my ph number. Heaps of space for camping at my place at Rotoiti.

Cheers
Clint

Mishmop
11th January 2010, 20:51
Awesome clint ive got those tires i just have to phone him up and pick them up. Im away tiill next Monday for a training ride but will follow this up six days riding up north here we come. If you have not heard from me by tuesday drop me a reminder. Manic with trip stuff took four hours to negotiate prices today for tires and three and a half hours to fit one tant :( wow. Have to pack tonight. We have a photo shoot with the herald tomorrow so keep an eye out in the herald they are doing a feature piece. Got T63's for under half price so we are trialing them. Tom had them already and rated them so i thought id try them.

Mishmop
11th January 2010, 20:54
Sorry cooneyr ill give you each one :) how's that?

please read message i posted im shattered so did not read all posts before reply sorry.

junkmanjoe
11th January 2010, 21:04
shit i would have brought one as well ....bugger to slow....

JMJ

cooneyr
12th January 2010, 06:17
shit i would have brought one as well ....bugger to slow....

JMJ

Gotta be in to win ;)

Good luck Mish. Fingers crossed the trial run goes well. Others have said over on the tyres thread that the T63 rear likes to weave around a bit on the seal when fresh. If you get this just keep riding cause it goes away.

Cheers R

junkmanjoe
12th January 2010, 19:08
oh thats just normal,,, im al over the gravel any way,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,fish tails all over the shop...........big time lock up drifts in to the corners...sweet.....NOT........

JMJ

Mishmop
17th January 2010, 10:46
Hey Boys got back,

We have some mean video to post on the website the HD contour cameras are really good. I will follow up on the blog by writing a story. The T63's where mean on and off road dont know what all those comments about noise on the road they where sweat. But I have a serious problem in the soft sand Im still running a standard front sproket and have been suggested to change this but my girl had a fat ass in the soft sand. The 250's flew past can i do any more mods to improve this or is it just my lack of experience. I had wake up call on Wednesday i went around ship wreck bay and cooked my clutch it started slipping and instead of easing of i gave it stick. Its all fixed now but a very tough lesson to learn. Whats worse is the suzuki dealer said in his 20 years working on dr's he had never had to fix one. It knocke me confidence. I was so gutted and felt like an ameture. It was sweat on the road, gravel and hard sand but soft sand was hard i could not get into second gear which ment i could not pick up speed and buy going so slow my front went all overthe show so i was riding the clutch supid mistake. Ill have to take it easy cant fford to do this while im in Mongolia :(

NordieBoy
17th January 2010, 13:16
$20 or so for heavier clutch springs from www.bikebits.co.nz

Look at the 14/43 sprocket combo.
The JT14 is available anywhere as is the 43 rear (stock on the Freewind)

Squiggles
17th January 2010, 14:13
Taking a spare chain/sprockets set? 520's seem the way to go in terms of availability (of chains that is)

Mishmop
17th January 2010, 19:23
$20 or so for heavier clutch springs from www.bikebits.co.nz

Look at the 14/43 sprocket combo.
The JT14 is available anywhere as is the 43 rear (stock on the Freewind)

Cheers mate will look into this.

Eddieb
13th October 2010, 20:29
These guys just arrived in London yesterday.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/travel/news/article.cfm?c_id=7&objectid=10680060