PDA

View Full Version : Failure to stop at stop sign.

jaykay
6th November 2009, 12:31
This is car related, but it is relevant to all road users.

The good news is that the Police have just lost an appeal in the High Court concerning a motorist who was given a ticket for failing to stop at a stop sign.
The cost of this fiasco is rumoured to be $30,000 - (personally I would think it is more like $3000).

Anyway, an elderly gentleman was given this ticket for failing to stop - the Policeman concerned stated under oath he was 25 metres away from the junction - he wasn't - it was 70 metres - and in any case from either position he actually couldn't see the stop sign. He assumed the vehicle hadn't stopped - when it fact it had.

The High Court judge tore into the Police, the original JPs who had found the defendant guilty in the District Court, and the Crown lawyers for wasting time and costing the country money, and in fact they only disappointment was lack of costs (because the costs were already excessive). The case was dismissed.

It helped that the gentleman concerned has no money (and hence nothing to lose), and he comes across well in court as someone trying to do the right thing.

So sometimes justice does prevail. Mind you what may have assisted matters is the Police spent some hours measuring up the junction, and all their figures, pictures and diagrams showed the original Policeman lied under oath.

98tls
6th November 2009, 12:43
Imagine that,someone lying under oath.Watch the news tonight (actually watch the news any night) it will no doubt be full of liars thieves and general scumbuckets,they run the country and generally there bullshit costs us way more than $30,000.

KiwiGs
6th November 2009, 13:13
I recently "got" a ticket for failing to stop.
SHMBO and 3 kids in the car all of whom said they thought I had stopped.
The cop said well "I didn’t see you stop", and started writing me up. This is where it gets weird though. He looks at me and says I can see you are on your way somewhere so I will write this up and the ticket will be in the mail.
Well that was 3 months ago and still nothing, no points off my licence at this stage either.....
So was the cop telling lies, surely not I mean he was a copper, or just having a laugh.
Personally I think he look at me driving a Honda Odyssey with 3 kids and thought that man deserves a break......

steve_t
6th November 2009, 13:14
District AND High Court - I'm surprised it didn't cost $300,000 in lawyers fees!

White trash
6th November 2009, 13:44
I recently "got" a ticket for failing to stop.
SHMBO and 3 kids in the car all of whom said they thought I had stopped.
The cop said well "I didn’t see you stop", and started writing me up. This is where it gets weird though. He looks at me and says I can see you are on your way somewhere so I will write this up and the ticket will be in the mail.
Well that was 3 months ago and still nothing, no points off my licence at this stage either.....
So was the cop telling lies, surely not I mean he was a copper, or just having a laugh.
Personally I think he look at me driving a Honda Odyssey with 3 kids and thought that man deserves a break......
If you were in Wellington I'd say you'd been aprehended by "Officer" Mikey.

JimO
6th November 2009, 14:16
my son got nocked off his bike by a olg git who didnt stop at a compulsary stop, we have a compulsary stop at the end of our road and i would say 70% of the cars i see at it dont stop

CookMySock
6th November 2009, 16:53
Theres a compulsory stop right across my front lawn, and NO ONE stops there... not even the pigs from around the corner EVER stop there.

I think in this case, the cops get a bee in their bonnet about something and pursue it "come hell or high water." Fuck them I reckon, coz I do the same. Bring it muthah!

Steve

george formby
6th November 2009, 17:00
It's a lose lose situation some times. My mate stopped at the sign as requested & the car behind him did'nt...... Not much damage done but the amoeba driving the car leapt out demanding to know why he stopped? Be careful, it's dangerous out their.

Azi Dahaka
10th November 2009, 12:22
the amoeba driving the car leapt out demanding to know why he stopped?

sometimes i just want to kill these simpletons :bash:

p.dath
10th November 2009, 12:32
The High Court judge tore into the Police, the original JPs who had found the defendant guilty in the District Court, and the Crown lawyers for wasting time and costing the country money, and in fact they only disappointment was lack of costs (because the costs were already excessive). The case was dismissed.

+1 to the Judge. I wonder if the JPs will ever find out what the Judge said though.

Alas, I bet nothing will change.