PDA

View Full Version : What engine to power a Featherbed frame?

gavinnz
6th November 2009, 17:04
Ok... lets brain storm some ideas for an engine for a Norton Featherbed special...

I have some ideas already but what new interesting ideas might you lot have???

Regards
Gavin

Ixion
6th November 2009, 17:05
Vincent.

I saw a very nice set up with a Jawa fourstroke the other day.

gavinnz
6th November 2009, 17:08
Vincent twin very cool... in my mind the coolest, but price is crazy.... I like the idea of a Comet engine.... :)
Gavin

Ixion
6th November 2009, 17:10
Could you shoehorn a Ducati engine in ?

A Yamaha TRX 850 or 900 should be worth a look.

Motu
6th November 2009, 18:01
Apart from the fact that they handled slightly better then anything else until the late '60's....and as far as the Japanese are concerned into the late '80's - there was enough room to fit anything you wanted into the frame.Dunno what I would put in - some sort of diesel....a Wisconsin V4...a couple of 2 stroke engines? Once I had a shaft drive XJ750 engine lying around,stuff all I could do with that...but....mount it longitudinal and run a sprocket off the driveflange.

Use your own brain,mines fucked....

slofox
6th November 2009, 18:24
The classic combo was the Vincent engine in the Featherbed frame. Maybe you could try an SV engine - 650 or 1000. Still got the V twin angle there and should fit OK.

Suspect the IL4's might be a little wide?

AllanB
6th November 2009, 18:33
Triumph triple - any year old or new.

That Guy
6th November 2009, 18:40
what about a two stroke - Yamaha v4 from the RZ500....then you could do some super trick expansion chambers, re cast the clutch/engine covers and call it a GAVINNZ engine. Keep people guessing for ages.

Blackbird
6th November 2009, 18:44
Triumph twin - the one and only Triton. Yummmm...

That Guy
6th November 2009, 18:46
Or if you've got loads of cash and it has to be a v-twin, one of these

Paul in NZ
6th November 2009, 19:35
Quite a few mods needed for a vincent to fit properly.

Unit engines are too short - its a long rangy old thing

Hey - heres an idea - stick a Norton engine in it

Voltaire
6th November 2009, 19:51
Harley Motor.

I rode a Buell the other day, and I quite liked the feel and delivery of the motor....OMG....I'm falling under the spell.....need chaps and tassels now....:innocent:

Found the Buell a bit odd looking...but if it looked like a Triton....hmmmmm

Hinny
6th November 2009, 20:05
Quite a few mods needed for a vincent to fit properly.

Unit engines are too short - its a long rangy old thing

Hey - heres an idea - stick a Norton engine in it

Now there's an idea.
Put some high pipes on it and make it look like a P11 Scrambler.
http://www.realclassic.co.uk/amcnortonhybrid03.html

Interesting bike here with Suzuki power.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320443175906

Hybrid style like a Norvin using a Suzuki SV1000 would be good.
Honda VTR motor would probably be cheaper...and better.

KiwiGs
6th November 2009, 20:22
A 1000cc Weslake V twin......

Chooky
6th November 2009, 21:04
I dont think anybody has done this to a Norton before...
750hp at the shaft at about 2200rpm...
You should be able to connect that to the back wheel somehow...?

Ixion
6th November 2009, 21:12
A featherbed would not cope with the power of a modern litre engine (I'm sure someone's done it, and I'm sure I don't want to ride it).

Look for an engine with a nice flat torque curve developing maybe 60 or 70 bhp.

Greyhound, not elephant.

A Harley would make a lot of sense.

The other thing is , it really needs to be an aircooled engine. Just cos it DOES, OK.

Badcat
6th November 2009, 21:25

YEAH
a TRX!
that would be cool!
do that!

Eurodave
6th November 2009, 21:30
Hi Gavinnz, Have a good look at what Im currently doing...........however youll need to log in to see the pix
http://dotheton.com/index.php?topic=8418.0

gavinnz
6th November 2009, 21:44
Hi Gavinnz, Have a good look at what Im currently doing...........however youll need to log in to see the pix
Cool! Whats the engine size??
Regards
Gavin

Eurodave
6th November 2009, 21:48
Its a 726cc industrial motor youd find in big lawn tractors etc ,with a bit of work it should put out reasonable hp & excellant torque....

gavinnz
6th November 2009, 21:53
Wow some good ideas their guys...

Vincent twin it top for me.
Second is that J.A.P. v twin, would be very cool.
But sadly both out of my range money wise.
I was considering XV920 or Harley Sportster.
Was not sure if I should go Iron head Sportster for the look and more correct period or Evo Sportster for more modern usablily.... but on either I would use two front heads. To get both exhausts facing forwards.... it's been done.

Daves engine made me think of a 950 round barrel Guzzi turned around and running a British gearbox!

Regards
Gavin

Eurodave
6th November 2009, 21:59
Daves engine made me think of a 950 round barrel Guzzi turned around and running a British gearbox!Gavin

Like this one? Doable but Guzzi parts could be expensive

gavinnz
6th November 2009, 22:36
Well a quick dash to the garage tells me a Guzzi 950 round barrel is 520mm across the barrels amd 490mm from sump to top of barrels... plus or minus 10mm... anyone got a featherbed handy to measure??
Gavin

Hinny
6th November 2009, 22:53
The other thing is , it really needs to be an air-cooled engine.

Good point.

LBD
7th November 2009, 00:54
Depend on what you want to end up with...?

There were a few 850 Norton Commandos in featherbeds that I beleive were always a good combo...

Yamaha TX850 or a modern Triumph engine....or of you want to replicate the racers of a bygon era....how about a modern Indian built Royal Enfield?

hospitalfood
7th November 2009, 01:17
BMW boxer twin would be my choice

gavinnz
7th November 2009, 01:20
BMW boxer twin would be my choice
Thanks one I thought about and have not seen done. I expect it's the final drive that buggers up an otherwise fine plan!
Regards
Gavin

jonbuoy
7th November 2009, 04:17
+ one on the Ducati - wrecked monster or a wrecked modern Triumph?

Blackbird
7th November 2009, 06:15
Of course, you could forget about twins and go for a nice big single thumper from one of the big trailies and make a Manx "replica"!

Voltaire
7th November 2009, 06:25

I would think a BMW motor would slot in there very easily....:innocent:

Hinny
7th November 2009, 13:00
Of course, you could forget about twins and go for a nice big single thumper from one of the big trailies and make a Manx "replica"!

Good little project for you to idle away some of your spare time. :Oops:

Eurodave
7th November 2009, 15:57
I would think a BMW motor would slot in there very easily....:innocent:

Hell yeah, & then I could put all the standard Beemer bits back on &............ be just like the rest of you sheep on your mass market,cookie cutter ,seen one youve seen em all bikes

BMWST?
7th November 2009, 18:01

thats what i was gonna say....

James Deuce
7th November 2009, 18:08
thats what i was gonna say....

Me too.

Just planting that idea has made one of my debit cards melt, and my cheque book is curling around the edges.

Imagine it. Big giant 6 shoe drum brake, hand stitched leather seat, Ceriani forks, Ikon shocks. Big round headlight, clip-ons, rear sets, twin megaphones.

Someone give me some cash.

Hinny
7th November 2009, 21:28
....twin megaphones.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm I like that idea.

Pussy
9th November 2009, 17:35
Yamaha XS 650 twin engine!

The Pastor
9th November 2009, 18:56
how about the godden? - should be able to get one in britian

ntst8
9th November 2009, 19:46
There were a few 850 Norton Commandos in featherbeds that I beleive were always a good combo...

Some rigid mounted, and some complete with isolastics like this one, not that i'm biased but you could do worse.
Just noticed the copyright symbol on the pic - copied off www.ntnoa.org where it was posted by the owner, with a full story on the build.

Paul in NZ
9th November 2009, 20:03
Go completely nuts.

Put an old JAP speedway engine in it...

Motu
9th November 2009, 20:17
A Commando engine needs the Atlas crank if rigidly mounted in a featherbed I am told.I had an Atlas cranked Commando/Combat engine getting ready to go into my 99,but the tweaked 600 was ample for me really.

As Paul mentioned some time ago,the featherbed is a long frame and looks silly with a small engine - it's needs an engine with no thought given to size....and an AMC gearbox to get the power to the wheel.

gavinnz
10th November 2009, 09:21
Thanks for all the ideas.

My thoughts,.... rambling as they might be were as follows...

Vincent twin... great. Ultimate, but can't justfy the expense of an engine...
Harley Sportster.... iron or evo.. with heads turned...
Then I briefly thought about a XV920 engine...
The moved onto a Vincent Comet engine which would be cheaper to get but still a heap of money...
Now I am thinking about a Guzzi Falcone engine from the 1950/60's.
This is one I have not seen done!
In Mick Walkers book "Moto Guzzi singles" their is a pic of a racing Guzzi 500 Albatros single engined featherbed taken in 1955. Thats the nearest I have got to one.

The Manx frame has 600mm of room from the swinging arm forward to the front down tube..... and a Falcone engine is 620mm long... so not a straight fit but not so far out as to not be doable with a few mods.

I need to find about more about the Lowboy version of the Featherbed frame as if it is indeeed lower it might suit the lay down engine more?

Other engines that I have seen or heard of going into a Featherbed are...
Ariel Square four.
Panther (engine replacing the front down tubes)
Some nutter with a Aprillia 1000 V twin!

Later
Gavin

Motu
10th November 2009, 17:14
I've seen a Hillman Imp in one (on Waiheke Island)...if you don't like a Hillman Imp engine,you could try a Coventry Climax instead.Maybe even a fire pump engine if you could find one.

Paul in NZ
10th November 2009, 18:28
I've seen a Hillman Imp in one (on Waiheke Island)...if you don't like a Hillman Imp engine,you could try a Coventry Climax instead.Maybe even a fire pump engine if you could find one.

Outboard motor engine... big merc v6 stroker

nudemetalz
11th November 2009, 09:51
What about a GB500? You could tune it with a 600cc kit and get at least as much hp as a Manx with the same sound (ish) but with reliability.

James Deuce
11th November 2009, 10:34
What about a GB500? You could tune it with a 600cc kit and get at least as much hp as a Manx with the same sound (ish) but with reliability.

It's too wee. It would be lost in a gaping hole designed for a pre-unit gearbox engine.

EgliHonda
11th November 2009, 10:48
I like the new Triumph idea, must be a Bonnie engine available somewhere.
Can still call it a Triton, and be associated with the history associated with this matchup, but have the advantages of an oil-tight powerplant that has ample spares available...?

Or, see if you can find a new Thunderbird engine...

gavinnz
11th November 2009, 11:04
Yeah a 650 Honda single would work well power wise, but I am not sure you would get the charatcter from the engine that would make it fun... a full fairing with enough ventelation would hid the engine!

Getting back to my earlier idea... a Guzzi engine would not fit if turned like a Vincent, 950 length needed less than 600 in their....
But what about the right way around with the swing arm using the sfaft?
That might be cool.... but would the Featherbed frame take the twisting of a Guzzi engine???

Later
Gavin

Richard Mc F
12th November 2009, 21:38
Go feral..........H1 or H2, they had power and no frame.....CB750 or 550? get really odd GT550 suzuki, or RE5 that would screw with people?

ER6 ?

KiwiGs
16th November 2009, 10:09
How about a 700cc V twin Enfield?
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vjZJfr2QkZA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vjZJfr2QkZA&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Eurodave
16th November 2009, 10:56
Yes yes yes o god yes!!!
Similar to the Cranberry V Twin Enfield [google it]
Ive been down this road before, cost was prohibitive which is mostly why I used a Kohler 726cc donk with Triumph 'box instead [see my sig. link]
I still reckon you need something a bit 'left field' motor wise.....

Kickaha
16th November 2009, 17:58
I still reckon you need something a bit 'left field' motor wise.....

A Daihatsu Charade 3 cylinder turbo then:laugh:

edit: or a couple of Aixro XR50 Wankel Kart Engines bolted together

Eurodave
16th November 2009, 18:28
Theres a Subaru Justy 3 cyl 1000 motor in my garage @ the moment, it may well end up in my R65, given the fullness of time......

rastus
17th November 2009, 12:41
Graeme Cole in Hamilton raced a featherbed frame in the 80's with a Matchless motor, he then built a Dunstal replica and raced the Matchless in that before changing to a Matchless sidecar and now the Team of red triumphs that you see at Pukekohe.

avgas
17th November 2009, 12:56
I always wanted to put something like this in a featherbed.......but thats my personal preference.
Would look cool in a mini too!

Brian d marge
17th November 2009, 15:07
.................................................. .............

Does it even need to be spoken

Royal ( as in the Queen approves ) ENFIELD

Stephen

Hinny
17th November 2009, 22:29
I always wanted to put something like this in a featherbed.......but thats my personal preference.
Would look cool in a mini too!

Hello Kim Newcombe.

Brian d marge
18th November 2009, 00:12

I did one back in the day ,,used a wide line .... nearly finished it but had to sell it due to moving

Stephen

avgas
18th November 2009, 01:02
Hello Kim Newcombe.
Yeah but you can always push the limit pass there and put the 300hp V6 ;)

Munch munch Rockets for lunch

Supertwin Don
20th November 2009, 23:29
Nobody seems to have suggested one of my favourite engines - Yamaha XS650 - 55hp, torquey, don't need oil tank, electric start, 5 speed - what more do you want ???? - can also use Amal carbs if wanted, and retro fit electronic ignition.

Motu
21st November 2009, 17:48
The XS650 is a very,very tight fit - I've seen someone try to fit an XS650 onto a featherbed....bare frame (mine) and engine on floor,it's just too tall.There is one on 650.com,the head is almost touching the top rails,and I suspect he has tweaked the lower rails to get it in.Nice though.

http://www.650motorcycles.com/MikesImages.html

Beeza
21st November 2009, 18:56
Drop in a Yamaha XS650 twin OHC engine. Fast, bullet-proof reliability...

oldrider
21st November 2009, 20:41
What about one of these? http://www.cyclonepower.com/ I think they are really interesting, modern concept steam engine!

If only they would design one especially for motorcycles!

I have made a request for them to do that but no reply yet though! Never mind, early days!

In a featherbead frame would be good.

One of my favourites, I used to ride a 500cc twin Norton featherbead, bloody magic. :whistle:

kermitt
29th November 2009, 21:24
i see mettise in the uk are making a real nice twin that would be awsome in a featherbed frame

Motu
29th November 2009, 22:26
I don't know that Rickman are making engines - but Wasp do,and they make a Metisse too,as well as a Wasp solo.

So yeah - a Wasp would be perfect.

popelli
30th November 2009, 05:36
iron head sportster engine, they fit straight in with out cutting the frame

best part is the name on the tank Hardon

kermitt
6th December 2009, 18:39
mettise under new ownership apparently, check out the article in latest motorcycletrader, 997cc 8 valve twin putting out 97bhp

Paul in NZ
8th December 2009, 20:08
And by god is it ugly - cycle parts nearly save it though!

Pinstripe
11th December 2009, 10:18
TRX 850 is a great idea.

How 'bout Honda CB550F lump?

Kickaha
11th December 2009, 17:39
Yamaha TR1

Sensei
11th December 2009, 19:53
Check this out from a Aprilia site , RSV powered Norton Featherbed frame

http://www.rsvzone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10215

jimbo
13th December 2009, 15:54
Brilliant:drool::drool::drool:

Paul in NZ
27th December 2009, 09:21
Mind you - a good old fashioned Triton does not need to look old fashioned...

Pixie
27th December 2009, 10:02
Six cylinder steam engine!

Paul in NZ
27th December 2009, 17:50
Six cylinder steam engine!

Shit yes - Steam Punk is so in at the moment (Because Pete Jackson is gunna make a movie featuring it)

LBD
27th December 2009, 21:14
Drop in a Yamaha XS650 twin OHC engine. Fast, bullet-proof reliability...

I was looking at one of these the other day and thought of this post....XS650 gets my vote....