PDA

View Full Version : New Multistrada - not totally hideous

RantyDave
10th November 2009, 06:43
The new Multistrada seems awesome and not hideous at all...

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/09november09_ducati_multistrada.htm

Is this a sign of the coming apocalypse?

Dave

James Deuce
10th November 2009, 06:44
If I were Triumph I'd be asking for royalties.

Devil
10th November 2009, 07:18
I laughed at the big trailie and enduro references. Not with that front wheel buddy! (and i'm guessing it's probably running a 180 rear if they're talking about 150hp!)

vifferman
10th November 2009, 07:23
While not totally hideous, the front still looks insectoid (praying mantis?) and that thing on the rear wheel would have to go.

davebullet
10th November 2009, 07:35
The problem with a bike designed to do everything... is it isn't really good at doing any one of them.

The front shot looks like a brow-lift gone wrong in a plastic surgeon's office.

RantyDave
10th November 2009, 07:50
that thing on the rear wheel would have to go.
I think that thing on the rear wheel is a legal requirement (and hence can probably be removed with an allen key and five minutes).

And yes, it does look like a tiger, eh?

Dave

slowpoke
10th November 2009, 08:23
I laughed at the big trailie and enduro references. Not with that front wheel buddy! (and i'm guessing it's probably running a 180 rear if they're talking about 150hp!)

The problem with a bike designed to do everything... is it isn't really good at doing any one of them.

The "big traillie" refence comes from the Motorcycle Daily spruiker, not from Ducati.

And Ducati don't claim it can do everything, they say: "four bikes in one . . . a sportbike, long-distance tourer, urban and road enduro." , which prolly looks about right.

If I were Triumph I'd be asking for royalties.

Dave

Hmmmmm.....nup, not seein' the Tiger thang. It looks a lot better than the blandly ugly previous Multistrada and the simply bland Tiger. Bit weird from front on, but better none the less.

Badjelly
10th November 2009, 08:32
Pierre Terblanche (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pierre_Terblanche) will be rolling in his grave.

jim.cox
10th November 2009, 09:05
And Ducati don't claim it can do everything, they say: "four bikes in one . . . a sportbike, long-distance tourer, urban and road enduro."

So its aimed at the same market as the HyperRetard and the StreetFrightner

Although I guess with the demise of the ST4 they had to have something they could hang panniers on

And what's "Road Enduro" ? - sounds suspiciously like Marketing BollixSpeak to me - enduro requires involvement in fun, mud & knoblies

EJK
10th November 2009, 09:33
Not bad.

Prev multistrada was hidious.

BASS-TREBLE
10th November 2009, 09:38
That mudguard in the rear is needed in Europe as far as I know.
All of the BMW GSs have them, 2 allen bolts.

JMemonic
10th November 2009, 10:09
It seems to appeal to me, I like the ST series so it kinda fits there, however not sure you really need 150hp seems a little like overkill, still wouldn't turn one down if it was under the Christmas tree.

cold comfort
10th November 2009, 11:22
Not bad.

Prev multistrada was hidious.

I have to agree, sadly. The new Multi appears to be all the 2006 should have been but wasn't (along with the '07 '08 '09). Took them long enough to get it together. Sports bike hp and styling- at last!

James Deuce
10th November 2009, 12:58

Dave

it's a subtle thing, but the seat/bar/footpeg relationship gives the same visual clues as the Tiger. Front on the fairing and screen give the same hint.

86GSXR
10th November 2009, 13:45
Very Tiger like! If it's anything like the Tiger to ride, it'll be a pleasure too. Especially with the Ohlins suspension. I can honestly say the Tiger is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Wish it came with that set up though...

miSTa
10th November 2009, 15:47
Ugly in my books but not totally surprised by the 1200s appearance since there's been plenty of spy shots floating around for a few months now.

To me it doesn't replace the void left by the demise of the ST2/3/4's. I certainly wont be replacing my aging (and not quite as ugly) ST with one.

Hitcher
10th November 2009, 17:39

Not hideous? It's fucken hawt, that's what it is.

jrandom
10th November 2009, 17:44
I quite liked the old one.

The new one looks... tubbier.

Gremlin
10th November 2009, 21:03
One problem that will always come with a bigger capacity is a bigger engine, usually heavier, etc, so you ultimately start to sacrifice some handling.

There was a comparo recently (MCN I think?) between BMW R1200GS and KTM 990 Adventure. The BMW has all the gadgets, but in a much bigger heavier package. The bike becomes less usable in the loose stuff, at its too big. The KTM loses some of the comfortable touring as such, but a more fun package.

Which market sells better? The Enduro/Touring/Supermoto type category is starting to get too big to be just one category, with each manufacturer offering their own take etc.

Not sure about those pipes exiting right next to the pannier. Without panniers, it doesn't look too beautiful, and often those OEM panniers have bugger all room.

Least we don't have a problem with having a wide choice of bikes I guess :yes:

LBD
11th November 2009, 04:36
Yup, I reckon she will do the job....now all I need is to find a rental in Europe next Northern summer for the planned lap of the Baltic...:woohoo:

Hitcher
11th November 2009, 19:06
for the planned lap of the Baltic...

Read Uneasy Rider: Travels through a midlife crisis, by Mike Carter.

James Deuce
11th November 2009, 19:40

I am. Again.

Still makes me laugh out loud on the train.

LBD
11th November 2009, 20:46

Sounds like I need to get a copy....Bit past midlife but!

Last years trip through Norway wet our appitite for that part of the world....

Probably use the same GS1150 as last time, but its fun to dream....

James Deuce
11th November 2009, 20:49
Bit past midlife but!

That will make it even funnier.

LBD
11th November 2009, 21:16
That will make it even funnier.

Available from?

Dazza
9th December 2009, 10:41
Been checking it out, very cool, mates looking @ changing his ST3 & this looks like a bit of him :niceone:

James Deuce
9th December 2009, 10:46
Available from?

Bookshop??

Stone_Duck
17th December 2009, 06:02
I agree with jrandom, I preferred the old one especially in Tri-colour. If it was Minus the duck bill it might help. They seem to have morphed a hypermotard in there. (I didn't get those either)

woody68
17th December 2009, 08:04
All i want for xmas is that motor with a switchable sport and touring setup in a modern ST style bike. Add in a slipper clutch and traction control now that sounds like my kind of bike.:2thumbsup

Magua
24th December 2009, 00:02

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/09november09_ducati_multistrada.htm

Is this a sign of the coming apocalypse?

Dave

Get off the grass, that's worse than the original.

Winston001
24th December 2009, 00:58
All i want for xmas is that motor with a switchable sport and touring setup in a modern ST style bike. Add in a slipper clutch and traction control now that sounds like my kind of bike.:2thumbsup

Hear hear. I have never understood why Ducati walked away from the sports-tourer market after the ST series.

This new bike is probably the answer but its been a long time coming. Its surprisingly heavy for a Ducati and what the heck are 150 horses doing in an adventure bike? :lol:

Hinny
24th December 2009, 02:33
Fugley.
So much wrong with it.
Not for me.

Skyryder
30th December 2009, 18:55
They say bikers have mid life crisis.......................but in this case it's the bike that has one.

Skyryder

rok-the-boat
1st January 2010, 08:51
It looks like an overgrown scooter to me.

R-Soul
15th February 2010, 20:47
it's a subtle thing, but the seat/bar/footpeg relationship gives the same visual clues as the Tiger. Front on the fairing and screen give the same hint.

It gives the same visual clues as every other big trailie - GS, Tiger, old Multidstrada, etc.
Its the front end that make me drool...

:sweatdrop

Dazza
16th February 2010, 07:14
It gives the same visual clues as every other big trailie - GS, Tiger, old Multidstrada, etc.
Its the front end that make me drool...

:sweatdrop I must be sick ! the whole bike makes me drool :)

R-Soul
16th February 2010, 12:21
I must be sick ! the whole bike makes me drool :)

yeah I gotta admit the Italians have done it again. The fact that you can use it in a variety of ways doesn't hurt either- that and 150hp..

Dazza
16th February 2010, 13:44
yeah I gotta admit the Italians have done it again. The fact that you can use it in a variety of ways doesn't hurt either- that and 150hp.. I know it's only 5hp but I've read 155bhp out of the 1198 engine which isn't too bad for a sports/tourer/multipurpose real world motorcycle that's going to have atleast 3-4 variations, now to wait several years for someone to upgrade their machine, would compliment the Streetfight quite nicely thank-you very much :)