PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha FZX250 Zeal

jrandom
22nd April 2005, 15:35
Well, I've been meaning to review my baby for a while now. It's a Friday afternoon and I'm not too busy, so I might as well pop back in here and write it up before I get too out-of-touch. What with the full licence and all, I'll be flogging it later this year, so consider this an appetiser. Or a warning. You decide.

It's a '92 model Japanese import. I got it with 42000km on the clock, and I've put another 8000 on in the last five months or so.

My first bike was a Suzuki FXR150. I was going to stay with it until full licence time; the whole ZXR250/CBR250RRRRRRR thing just didn't do it for me, and I'm *really* not into two smokes. However, a couple of members on this here fine forum either currently ride or used to ride Zeals, and hearing of the bike whetted my appetite. I looked up a few photos, and I have to admit, of all the two fiddies I've seen, looks-wise, it's perfect. Gorgeous. Svelte, yet chunky. Sleek, yet compact. I loved it. And it had a reasonably decent reputation, mechanically and performance-wise.

So, anyway, when I heard that our esteemed moderator Blakamin's Zeal was up for sale in Wellington, via one intermediate owner, I just had to pop down to Colemans for a serious test ride on their demo. The Colemans bike was as good to ride as it was to look at, so I spent a couple of days negotiating (read 'picking up the phone and begging the seller not to let anyone else get it before I put the cash through') and then picked Blakamin's old bike up. (Sorry, Colemans...)

It is red.

And silver.

With black rubber bits where there should be black rubber bits, and dirty bits where I can't reach with a toothbrush.

The four-into-two stainless exhaust (twin pipes on the right-hand side) is chromed. It wasn't when I bought it, but I found a reasonably nice not-dropped-all-that-much full chromed set at Victorian Motorcycle Wreckers and got it shipped over.

What's it like to ride?

To 140kph, it'll stay with any of the more popular, racier four-stroke 250s, no problem. It redlines at 15, but stops making power around 12.5krpm, so it doesn't have their legs. No matter. Going any faster than that just imperils one's licence. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

The engine is smooth as butter. It really does feel... refined. No other way to put it. It has a lovely, smooth, flat torque curve. No discernable powerband. No intrusive vibration at any revs. Polite, but punchy. In top gear, 110kph cruising speed is just under 8000rpm.

In the words of vifferman, after following me on his VFR800 from Coatesville to Riverhead along SH28, "That Zeal's got quite a bit of poke, hasn't it?"

It does, however, have a shortcoming, namely the suspension. Which, as far as I can tell, is constructed from ghee. The bike would be a lot faster with progressive fork springs and aftermarket rear shocks (the stock twin shocks, while pleasantly retro-looking, don't quite cut the mustard through fast bumpy corners). I find myself with embarrassing centimeter-wide chicken strips on the Pirelli Sport Demons, simply because I fear to crank it over all the way lest one of the random undulations of those rear shocks bounce the back tyre straight off its edge. The upside of this is, of course, that it encourages a smooth and reserved riding style. It's entirely possible to go fast on a Zeal, but it can't be done with quite the gay (and I use that word intentionally) abandon that one would use on a GSXR.

To balance this shortcoming, it brings to the table a stunning ability to go a long way in a relatively short time. On Easter weekend, I did 1800km in just over 48 hours, with no ill effects, no drama and no discomfort. During SH1 from Auckland to Wellington, the 'Takas, Pie Cock and environs, general bimbling about and the run back up, the bike didn't miss a beat. It fits my slightly lumpy 175cm frame *perfectly*. It really does have the best ergonomics of any bike I've ever sat on. The totally neutral, upright riding position, the sufficiency of power to cruise happily on the open road at [ahem] slightly above the limit, and the smooth exhaust note combine to provide about the best 250cc touring experience one could hope for.

Of course, my normal riding involves 300km or so per week of commuting across Auckland. It handles that job with aplomb, too. Having installed Oxford heated grips, I can recommend those as well for cool-weather and late-night riding, although that's a subject for another review sometime...

Anyway. It's a bike with a strange name, but it's the perfect two fiddy for me. Not for everyone, perhaps, but I know I love it. I'll try not to chuck it down the road over the next few months, and hopefully this one will have a long and happy life over the following several years as it serves the needs of future learner and restricted-licence riders.

A quick Google found some perspectives on the Zeal from the UK grey-import market:

http://www.bikelife.com/natania/dubi/250cc.htm

http://www.umgweb.com/member1/yfzr2.htm#zeal

Hitcher
22nd April 2005, 16:49
Yay! The Mighty Zeal! The bestest 250 on the road by far.

Zed
22nd April 2005, 17:00
Good write-up JR!

Any clues (for us) on what wheels you want next? :unsure:

justsomeguy
22nd April 2005, 17:04
Erik from here has one. On one ride we swapped bikes. Man!!!:2thumbsup that's an easy bike to ride fast..........

He is the better rider of us two and I usually am about 100 meters behind him on rides, but when we swapped bikes I could easily keep up with him and take 65 corners at 110 without any worries. Whereas in my :sleep:R I need to do it wide awake.

Awesome bike!!!!

justsomeguy
22nd April 2005, 17:06
Good write-up JR!

Any clues on what wheels you want next? :unsure:

I'm sure he has plenty of clues, just like all of us. It's just the bloody price that keeps us wondering:whistle:

erik
22nd April 2005, 17:16
Nice review :)
Don't worry about the chicken strips. I've got them too. I reckon you'd have to grind away half of your footpegs before you got to the edge of the tyre! Grinding footpegs is something I've become wary of ever since binning at low speed going around a roundabout when one of the footpegs touched down and made the rear lose grip. :p

Zed
22nd April 2005, 17:22
I'm sure he has plenty of clues...I meant giving *us* clues dude. :pinch:

justsomeguy
22nd April 2005, 17:27
I meant giving *us* clues dude. :pinch:

oops:confused:

dhanvic08
30th April 2005, 21:01
Nice review man!!!! this makes me love my bike more! :love:
The zeal is really stylish and very sticky on ladies too!!! Girls find me looking smart and sexy with it, compared to my ex-wifey CBR400RR...which they find it hard to ride with me because they're a bit scared of being left behind. :msn-wink:

For me its not just the speed that makes me want the Mighty Zeal, its the feeling of freedom to modify the looks as well as to get into the plugs easily which maintenance is a easier to.

I just love being naked! hehehe!

BTW, My brother and I were thinking of modifying the rear shocks into monoshock... I wonder what shock would fit the zeal...

I still need to get enough cash, so imagination and ideas are pouring out even before I sleep after being with my beloved Zeal...

I have just a problem with my zeal, It have no side mirrors on it, I have inspected the Brake lever assembly and found out that there aint a hole to place a side mirror...I guess its not the original part anymore...:(

doctorprox
10th May 2005, 11:18
Could you do me a huuuge favour.
I have a zeal aswell, but mine has a problem, it gets to near 90 kph and just dies like its running out of fuel.
It has an FZR CDI in it, which im replacing for that reason and i hope it fixes it, however the CDIs have two sockets on them, and my bike only has one wire. Does yours have an empty socket aswell or is something going in both of yours?

The CDI is located just infront of the battery on the left of the bike.

If that doesnt sort it im not sure why its doing it.

Thanks.
Jason

erik
10th May 2005, 18:55
I have a zeal aswell, but mine has a problem, it gets to near 90 kph and just dies like its running out of fuel.
It has an FZR CDI in it, which im replacing for that reason and i hope it fixes it, however the CDIs have two sockets on them, and my bike only has one wire. Does yours have an empty socket aswell or is something going in both of yours?

Thanks.
Jason

Weird. One day I'd like to learn a bit more about how CDI's work.
It looks like my bike only has the one plug. Take a look in the pics to confirm I'm looking at the right thing.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Blakamin
10th May 2005, 19:39
Brings a tear to the eye, that does.... (didnt see this thread before)

but as much as I loved the Zeal (and remember the bits a toothbrush wont reach), commuting 500ks every week on the Duc ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! :niceone:

Joni
10th May 2005, 19:51
but as much as I loved the Zeal (and remember the bits a toothbrush wont reach)
Toothbrush huh?....
:D
Gotta agree Mike... Its a pretty nice bike! :ride:

doctorprox
10th May 2005, 21:27
Weird. One day I'd like to learn a bit more about how CDI's work.
It looks like my bike only has the one plug. Take a look in the pics to confirm I'm looking at the right thing.

Hope this helps.

Erik

Thanks a lot mate, its taken me ages to confirm that. At least i know im not missing something now :D
The problem continues, i hope the new cdi fixes it. It seems someone has had mine in bits because it is cracked and has glue all over it.

dhanvic08
12th May 2005, 17:32
Thanks a lot mate, its taken me ages to confirm that. At least i know im not missing something now :D
The problem continues, i hope the new cdi fixes it. It seems someone has had mine in bits because it is cracked and has glue all over it.

Any update on your bike sir?
I've been watching over this forum because i really really want to learn more about my mighty zeal! :ride:

doctorprox
12th May 2005, 22:42
Not yet im afraid.
The cdi is on its way from australia to here (UK) you see. Zeals are pretty much non-existant over here.

Im gonna strip the carburettors again while its sat in bits.
Hopefully the cdi should arrive next week.
Do you have a manual for your zeal, im using the FZR 400 one at the minute.

doctorprox
26th May 2005, 21:24
Unfortunately the CDI didn't fix it.
There is a connection for a pipe on the back of the tank but nothing is on it? Whats that for?

dhanvic08
27th May 2005, 12:38
No workshop manual could be found on the net sir, I believe its in Japanese only though....:(

Unfortunately the CDI didn't fix it.
There is a connection for a pipe on the back of the tank but nothing is on it? Whats that for?

I think it s the breather...

Let's wait for the posts of our co-Zeal lovers! Calling Sir Erik, Jrandom, Blakamin...?Please help us

doctorprox
27th May 2005, 20:28
Its annoying, it can like accelerate through 1, 2 and 3 and then when you get into the higher gears like 5th and 6th it starts to die off like it has no fuel, and gradually slows down.

dhanvic08
30th May 2005, 18:22
I wish to help, but I dont even have the courage to get my gas tank off to check the air-filter...I simply want to learn more online about he thingy before I continue with my attempt to clean/replace/inspect things to avoid a more complicated situation with my bike...

Im sure the gurus here could help.

You could also visit other forums for similar problems such as yours, and find out why things happen... Good luck sir!

Again, Calling Sir Erik, Jrandom, Blakamin...?Please help us

ovidiudraganescu
9th February 2006, 22:05
NOT RELATED TO YOUR CHAT but still about a ZEAL

I'm about to go buy my first bike and I want to make it a Zeal. Unfortunatly, there aren't that many in Europe and the one I want is 2000Kms away. Never the less I am going to getr it. But any clues on how to bring it back home (a trailer, I suppose?). And anything particular to check before buying? Common Problems with Zeals (althew I see there shouldn't be all that many). How old is too old for a Zeal? This one says it's first registred in 2001 but I hardly belive that. Or should I? Did they still make Zeals in 2001? And what I'd like most would be some pictures of actual people riding zeals, just to see if I'm not too tall for one :). Thanks a lot for your time, NewZealenders.

doctorprox
9th February 2006, 22:42
I think it will probably have been imported in 2001, not made. They were never officially imported to the UK.
I would check for the usual stuff like pitted forks etc etc.
The bike will probably be quite old so i wouldnt pay too much for it.
Make sure you check the exhaust is ok because they tend to rust inside and fall apart. Take it for a spin and try and max it out, this is what i didnt do and it is an indication of the exhaust condition (mine maxed out at 100kph due to the exhaust being in bits).

How tall are you, the seat is quite low but i am 5'10" and i felt really comfortable on it.

ovidiudraganescu
10th February 2006, 00:29
The bike is in Belgium (1200 miles away) and is up for 1500 euros (2000+ USD) at a shop/garage (not a private sale). It's mid winter here so 100mph on snow with a newbie like me on board is not that responsable. I suppose I can rev it to the redline and keep it there just to see haw the engine and the exhaust perform but for the clutch/gearbox/chain, it's quite difficult to push. I'm 6'1" (I think, we here use metric, not imperial and in metric I'm 185cm). I didn't even know they made 250 fours till I saw the add for this bike. We don't have that whatever law sparked the making of this bikes for your market. I was about to get a suzuki GS500 for 2300euros but that was a v twin and I feel I can pass as a 600-750 esely here with the zeal and its 4 cylinders. Noone here knows about this bike. :) I want it cause it's cheap and seems to be farely reliable. Plus I need a mostly commuter bike and I'm just starting on two wheels (only rode scooters till now).

doctorprox
10th February 2006, 07:43
Thats a long way to go for a bike. Bear in mind the Zeal is a 250 so its not very quick because it has hardly any torque (you wont convince people its a 600 as soon as you start riding).
Also the GS is an inline twin as far a im aware and will be a lot quicker and easier on fuel.

erik
10th February 2006, 07:44
I don't think you'll learn much about the engine from revving it at redline with no load. Plus I don't think the guy selling it would be too happy. If you do this, make sure the bike is fully warmed up first.

I haven't had many problems with my Zeal and can't think of anything specific to look out for.

I'm about 194cm and 100kg and fit the Zeal ok, although I've heard other people of the same size complaining that it's too small. It probably does suit smaller riders better than larger riders as the seat height is fairly low.

It looks like they did make Zeals in 2001:
http://www.motorbikes.be/en/Yamaha/2001/FZX%20250%20Zeal/

If it's like my Zeal, (a 1991 model but doesn't look like they've changed much) one thing that makes it not such a great commuter is the fuel economy. I only get about 15-16km/L commuting and when going for a fast ride out on the open roads, this has dropped down to about 12km/L.

The GS500 is a parallel twin, not a V-twin. They are far more economical than Zeals and get about 25-30km/L (from what I've read. maybe more?). A GS500 would probably be a more sensible choice for an economical commuter. Plus a GS500 is simpler (only 2 cylinders and air cooled) and will probably last longer provided you don't bin it.

ovidiudraganescu
10th February 2006, 19:13
Yes, the GS is a paralel twin, sorry (you have to understend there's been quite a bunch of bikes flapping their wings arround my head lately).

http://home.mobile.de/cgi-bin/homepageSearch.pl?sort=2&language=de&customerId=527066&partnerHead=1

that's the address where the ad is posted (second page). These guys seem to get accident damaged bikes, fix and sell them. But I kind of expected the bike to have been off (both) it's wheels at some time (it has 32000 KM - 20000 miles on it but I don't expect that to be true). And as long as it's properly repared...

I realy had no idea fuel economy on the bike could be that bad. Everyone sais it's a good commuter, and this and that. About the GS, it's about 50% more expensive, some 5-10HP weaker(don't know about the torque thew) and a whole lot uglier then the Zeal.

I know that's a long way but it's a "I'm headed that way anyway" kind of story. Still there's the problem of transporting the bike 2000 km back home. Well, once again the forums prove themselves usefull. You kind of made me wonder...

PS: is it that bad with fuel...I mean my car does 9-10KM/L. I'm starting to consider electric scooters :)

Hitcher
10th February 2006, 19:41
PLEASE don't buy a GSX. They are shite, compared to a Zeal. I endorse everything Erik says. Do a site search. Zeals have been lauded several times in the past, and us "fuller figured" gents don't get too squashed up riding them.

ovidiudraganescu
12th February 2006, 03:13
Here's some pictures the guy sent. Maybe you can see something I hanven't. There's some rust behind the exhausts and you can see the seat is not properly alligned on the left side, in the front. Also, at the back, below the stop, it seems the bike has been repainted (the rectangle around the logo). Also the scratches on the brake fluid reservoir cap. And the overall geometry of the rear wheel (or is it just the photo?). And am I right about all these? Also, the chasis no. is 3YX000307. Can someone tell the year the bike was built from that? I tried but came up with different results for each website I found. One even gave 2008 as result and I know that's not right.

The bike is coming to be worth around 2200 euros (3000$) with transport and tax and I really don't want to blow that money.

Thanks for the help!

erik
12th February 2006, 09:42
There's some rust behind the exhausts and you can see the seat is not properly alligned on the left side, in the front.
The rust looks ok to me.
The front sides of the seat are fastened to the tank by a weird kind of velcro type stuff, on my bike it doesn't actually work so they can move away from the tank a bit. I'd guess that's why the seat doesn't line up perfectly.

Also, at the back, below the stop, it seems the bike has been repainted (the rectangle around the logo).
The stickers may have just faded slightly.

Also the scratches on the brake fluid reservoir cap.
You mean in the photo showing the speedo and odometer? Just looks like the paint has worn off a bit.

And the overall geometry of the rear wheel (or is it just the photo?).
Just the photo. Well, it could be off but it's impossible to tell from just a photo.

Also, the chasis no. is 3YX000307. Can someone tell the year the bike was built from that? I tried but came up with different results for each website I found. One even gave 2008 as result and I know that's not right.

The bike is coming to be worth around 2200 euros (3000$) with transport and tax and I really don't want to blow that money.
I have no idea about the chassis number/year of manufacture. Maybe ring a bike shop and ask them?

It's a pity you can't have someone local check the bike out for you.

Sniper
12th February 2006, 10:20
Overdrive? On a bike? On a Yamaha?

Sorry, got carried away. Anyway, a reason the rear wheel looks out of geometry is that the guy could have puseh the bike to that spot for photos, but he had it on an angle whilst pushing it. The best idea to get a bike year would be to phone up a yamaha dealer and chat give them the chassis number. As Erik said, the rust is fine, a bit of polich will take it out.

Pity you don't have anyone to look it over first.

erik
12th February 2006, 11:01
Overdrive? On a bike? On a Yamaha?

It just indicates when the bike is in 6th.

ovidiudraganescu
12th February 2006, 13:27
I don't know about your zeal erik but this japonese site says something about 燃費・定地走行テスト値(km/L) 51.0(@50Km/h)

My japonese is a bit rusty thew...

http://homepage2.nifty.com/ma-kubota/zeal/yamahazeal/zeal3.html

erik
12th February 2006, 15:01
I don't know about your zeal erik but this japonese site says something about 燃費・定地走行テスト値(km/L) 51.0(@50Km/h)

My japonese is a bit rusty thew...

http://homepage2.nifty.com/ma-kubota/zeal/yamahazeal/zeal3.html
I would be very surprised if that 51km/L was accurate. Both my Zeal and Hitcher's old Zeal get around 15-16km/L, and possibly fish's one too iirc.
The best fuel economy that I've heard of has been around 30km/L from an fxr150 and gs500e.

Hitcher
12th February 2006, 15:21
That Zeal looks pretty tidy to me. Not a colour we get in these parts. Don't know much about the chassis number but 3YX is Yamaha's model descriptor for a Zeal. That screen will make a big difference to your riding pleasure. I had one exactly the same on mine. Check out www.micapeak.com. There maybe some words of wisdom there.

ovidiudraganescu
13th February 2006, 06:32
I figured out the serial No. The bike seems to be from 1991. Here's where I got the idea from...

http://homepage2.nifty.com/ma-kubota/

I suppose the 51km/l would be at a constant 50km/h and in ideal conditions (weather, load etc) but still it's a bit far-fetched, I have to admit.

dougsters1st
13th March 2007, 10:42
Hey people,
I just acquired a yamaha FZX250 zeal. A great little bike, corners well and I get 23-25km/L fuel. I think that's pretty considering it is great for shooting off from the traffic lights. I notice I get better economy (>25km/L) if I change through the gears faster to 5th/6th and use them for traveling around the city as you'd expect.

I've also owned a cbr250 and personally feel the zeal is the winner for touring around on and general city travel. Maybe not as fast at the top end, but feel it is equally racy around the city. It still thrashes the teeny boppers in their hotted up commadore/falcons/hatch-backs at the traffic lights. A fun bike, and definitely not slow. Also handles a pillion really well - can still obtain a cruising speed of 110-120 on the freeway no problems.

FZX250
22nd July 2008, 19:01
Thats a long way to go for a bike. Bear in mind the Zeal is a 250 so its not very quick because it has hardly any torque (you wont convince people its a 600 as soon as you start riding).
Also the GS is an inline twin as far a im aware and will be a lot quicker and easier on fuel.

Lol i just bought a zeal, its has plenty of torque for a 250. granted it wont power wheely (then again i doubt many can) but i find it does keep up with the bigger bikes. Today i raced a GS500 at the traffic lights (it was a m8), and i was actually ahead of him up till about 70k's. but even after that i was able to keep up.

Lisandy
20th August 2008, 16:53
Guys ! Anyone! Help a poor maiden in distress!

I have a Zeal ... and here's the stupid blonde bit .... I ran out of petrol a few weeks back .. switched to reserve so no drama there ... BUT ... hubby has since fiddled with the 'switch' and now I can't figure out which is reserve tank setting and what is normal ..... HELP!!!

The little black 'switch' has FUEL written on one end and and an arrow the other ... what way up should the arrow point ???

HELP HELP HELP!

Zuki Bandit
20th August 2008, 17:45
Very cool write up.

de_wood_elf
21st August 2008, 16:11
Guys ! Anyone! Help a poor maiden in distress!

I have a Zeal ... and here's the stupid blonde bit .... I ran out of petrol a few weeks back .. switched to reserve so no drama there ... BUT ... hubby has since fiddled with the 'switch' and now I can't figure out which is reserve tank setting and what is normal ..... HELP!!!

The little black 'switch' has FUEL written on one end and and an arrow the other ... what way up should the arrow point ???

HELP HELP HELP!

On mine when the arrow points down it is "on", when pointed up it is on "reserve" and when on its side is "off". Should be the same with yours. It is also in the owners manual you can get off the net.

Hope this helps.

pyao2x
21st December 2008, 15:57
I figured out the serial No. The bike seems to be from 1991. Here's where I got the idea from...

http://homepage2.nifty.com/ma-kubota/

I suppose the 51km/l would be at a constant 50km/h and in ideal conditions (weather, load etc) but still it's a bit far-fetched, I have to admit.
How'd you figured out the serial number?
Can you please teach me?

Just acquired a zeal yesterday, I'm the second owner of the zeal in our country. The first owner has no idea of the year model.

TIA

portokiwi
21st December 2008, 16:09
I had the FZX750 in Portugal I loved it. Wish I could get another.

pyao2x
2nd January 2009, 18:40
hi guys,

just got myself a Zeal, but the previous owner don't know the exact year model of the bike...

Hope someone could help me figure out this one. :)
the Chasis number is 3YX-0550XX.

TIA
Happy New Year to All!!!

Zealous
2nd January 2011, 08:44
I apologise for reviving an old thread.

Here's some pictures the guy sent. Maybe you can see something I hanven't. There's some rust behind the exhausts and you can see the seat is not properly alligned on the left side, in the front. Also, at the back, below the stop, it seems the bike has been repainted (the rectangle around the logo). Also the scratches on the brake fluid reservoir cap. And the overall geometry of the rear wheel (or is it just the photo?). And am I right about all these? Also, the chasis no. is 3YX000307. Can someone tell the year the bike was built from that? I tried but came up with different results for each website I found. One even gave 2008 as result and I know that's not right.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks.
Jason

G'day Jason,

The CDI is the same as the FZR250 RR EXUP (3LN-82305-00, 3YX-82305-00), and the additional socket is for EXUP (FZR250 RR only). What Yamaha-Motor Japan did was take the engine, CDI unit along with many other bits and pieces from the FZR250 RR and used them for the Zeal production. However, the Zeal did not feature EXUP but still the socket is there. Essentially what makes the FZR250 RR quicker than the Zeal is a different exhaust setup, sprocket/drive ratio and EXUP.

hi guys,

just got myself a Zeal, but the previous owner don't know the exact year model of the bike...

Hope someone could help me figure out this one.
the Chasis number is 3YX-0550XX.

TIA
Happy New Year to All!!!

Regards,

- Zealous

Kieran
15th March 2020, 20:29
Hey I am planning on restoring a FZX250 and was wondering if any of you guys have access to a repair and maintenance manual