PDA

View Full Version : Moto Guzzi V12 & V7 Clubman Racer

nudemetalz
11th November 2009, 09:28
yummmmy............... :drool:

from - http://www.fasterandfaster.net/2009/11/2010-moto-guzzi-v12-le-mans-v12-strada.html
It seems Moto Guzzi are hell bent on blowing every other bike manufacturer into the weeds at this year’s EICMA Show in Italy. After the superb V7 Clubman Racer, they’ve now taken the wraps off not one but three new concept bikes – the V12 Le Mans, V12 Strada and V12 X.

Co-designed by Miguel Galluzzi and Pierre Terblanche, all three concept bikes are fitted with Guzzi’s 1,200cc v-twin (the same engine which is fitted on the new Norge GT), and even though each bike has its own distinct persona, each is still very distinctly a Guzzi. ‘There is an impalpable, yet very real force in the history of Moto Guzzi. It lies in the ideas and in the unrelenting research work that led Moto Guzzi to build its tradition on innovation,’ says Miguel Galluzzi, who heads the Piaggio Group’s (which owns Moto Guzzi) styling centre.

‘Keep an eye on Moto Guzzi because this is just the first step. We are back to relying on ideas, and we have plenty of them. This is just the beginning,’ says Galluzzi, who, by the way, has also designed the Aprilia RSV4. Damn right, we admit we’re terribly impressed. Now let’s just wait and see which of these three bikes goes into production…

and.....

Moto Guzzi have relased details of the new V7 Clubman Racer, which they say is ‘the end result of extensive tuning inspired by the motorcycles that in the 1970s challenged each other in the modified production category.’ Er… yeah, well…

Moto Guzzi claim the V7 Clubman takes its design cues from the legendary 850 Le Mans, which makes it quite all right in our books – it certainly seems to have gotten that 1970s café-racer look down pat. Very cool.

The V7 Clubman is fitted with Guzzi’s 744cc v-twin, which makes 49 horsepower and 58Nm of torque. The bike’s steel tube chassis, five-speed gearbox, 40mm Marzocchi fork and twin Bitubo shock absorbers are as basic as things can get. The gearbox is a five-speed unit and braking duties are handled by a single 320mm disc at the front and 260mm disc at the back.

The Moto Guzzi V7 Clubman Racer rides on 18-inch (front) and 17-inch (rear) spoked wheels and dry weight is 182kg. There is no slipper clutch, ABS, traction control or on-board computer here, which is just fine really. Yes, this is one of those few Moto Guzzis that we like. A lot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/turbo_NZ/Guzzi/Guzzi%20concepts/mgv122_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/turbo_NZ/Guzzi/Guzzi%20concepts/mgv124_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/turbo_NZ/Guzzi/Guzzi%20concepts/mgv127_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v677/turbo_NZ/Guzzi/Guzzi%20concepts/club1e_1.jpg

nudemetalz
11th November 2009, 09:29
more of these-

Also check http://www.motoblog.it/post/21618/live-eicma-le-moto-guzzi-v12 for more pics.

:)

gsp0702
11th November 2009, 11:55
Now I like the clubman, that would sit nicely in my garage. Not sure about the concepts, but then concept bikes should always be a bit weird.

Dodgyiti
11th November 2009, 19:41
I love my cafe racers*, but even that V7 is a little too bling, it's the chrome tank I think. It crosses the line from classy to crass in my opinion. The other two concept bikes are wicked!

*Some would say a little too much

James Deuce
11th November 2009, 19:45
I love my cafe racers*, but even that V7 is a little too bling, it's the chrome tank I think. It crosses the line from classy to crass in my opinion. The other two concept bikes are wicked!

*Some would say a little too much

Nah. You;re being a westie. There's not enough matt black on it for you.

I LOVE it. It invokes the '50s racer-polished-aluminium-tank look.

nudemetalz
12th November 2009, 07:53
I agree with Jim. The V7 racer looks spectacular !!

Dodgyiti
12th November 2009, 20:05
True Jim, I am going through a matte black phase at the moment. Still recovering from the extreme blinging of my last project. Why the whole tank chromed though? It's so 2001 (Monster Chrome, Californicator Chrome et al)

I'm sorry but they keep playing the retro card with the same hand.

1000s started it in 1991, then the V7, then the V7 Cafe, then this, all with pretty much the same petrol tank.

It's like the design conversation goes "Let's do a retro, better use the V7 Sport tank so everyone knows it's a retro"
:doh:

:yawn:

I could build that bike out of a 1991 750-T for about 8 grand. The V7 Cafe is already nearly 20K, wonder what this new one will go for.
When you get up close and personal with the V7 Classic it looks cheap and nasty, with low grade plastics. Not the well made look of the flagship models but priced like them.

SDU
13th November 2009, 14:22
I could build that bike out of a 1991 750-T for about 8 grand. The V7 Cafe is already nearly 20K, wonder what this new one will go for.
When you get up close and personal with the V7 Classic it looks cheap and nasty, with low grade plastics. Not the well made look of the flagship models but priced like them.

I have to admit I was disappointed when I went to look at the V7 classic. I love the style but it is ruined by the cheapness of some the plastic parts- for less money I went for a Thruxton-:dodge: (it's not perfect either). The V7clubman racer looks good to but will it have quality on inspection.
I would like to see the retro V7 style with a decent motor in it- V11 motor would be good.

Taz
13th November 2009, 14:28
Mmmmm Motoguzzi. I like that new V7 Clubman. Looks a little like my V95CR :).http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv282/advkiwi/smguzzi02.jpg

R6_kid
13th November 2009, 14:30
I especially like the last two, for some reason the first one doesn't seem 'right' with the single sided swingarm, perhaps with a conventional swingarm it'd look more in proportion?

SDU
13th November 2009, 14:49
Mmmmm Motoguzzi. I like that new V7 Clubman. Looks a little like my V95CR :).http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv282/advkiwi/smguzzi02.jpg
Now that is awesome

Taz
13th November 2009, 15:55
Now that is awesome

Thanks, she's quite a sensual ride.

Dodgyiti
13th November 2009, 19:09
Mmmmm Motoguzzi. I like that new V7 Clubman. Looks a little like my V95CR

Yeah but your bike is built to last. These V7 series bikes are tinny crap. The photos lie.

SDU is right. In the flesh they are very dissapointing for an $18,500 bike.
As for a decent motor, 4 valving the 750 at least would be a step in the right direction. Guzzi used to make pretty nippy wee small blocks but this engine is a turd. I think my Monza 500 is lighter and almost as powerful and thats nearly 30 years old now.
A Thruxton is cheaper and more powerful whilst still looking cafe cool but better built*

*My one was before they farmed out the building of them so I can't vouch for the latest ones.

nudemetalz
14th November 2009, 07:36
I do like the look of the Clubman Racer but they could have tuned it up (as Dodgyiti said). 49hp is ONE LESS hp than a CX500 !!!

Kickaha
14th November 2009, 11:42
I do like the look of the Clubman Racer but they could have tuned it up (as Dodgyiti said). 49hp is ONE LESS hp than a CX500 !!!

Which would you rather have though?

Clubby does it for me, the others make me want to puke:sick:

AllanB
14th November 2009, 11:48
Clubman = yum. 49 hp = NO. At that lame output, I'd buy a bonnie and "clubman" it myself.

Concept bikes. Interesting - what's with the weird panels buy the headsets - they look like big heat-sinks.

Bonez
14th November 2009, 17:42
Get rid of the fly screen and number boards on the clubman. The others are hidious.

Molly
15th November 2009, 08:31
All nice bikes indeed. Be interesting to see what they're like when they hit the market.

No enquiries about my V11 by the way. Bummer... May just have to keep it :-)

SDU
15th November 2009, 12:08
A Thruxton is cheaper and more powerful whilst still looking cafe cool but better built*

*My one was before they farmed out the building of them so I can't vouch for the latest ones.

I'll soon find out- but 2weeks & over 1500kms so far no probs heres hoping it stays sweet

SDU
15th November 2009, 12:15
No enquiries about my V11 by the way. Bummer... May just have to keep it :-)

Not a bad idea- it'll be hard to replace & It may take awhile for the right person to come along guzzi riders are a unique breed
I miss mine, even when blasting past it having fun on my new toy I get a little twinge.
......thank gawd we still have MKIII for a fix

Molly
15th November 2009, 12:41
I remember you saying where to go for a WoF. Can you remind me again? Ta.

Dodgyiti
15th November 2009, 14:09
I'll soon find out- but 2weeks & over 1500kms so far no probs heres hoping it stays sweet

Thunderbike mufflers when you have run it in :yes: make them sound really nice and good for another 3-5hp with a K&N filter and jetted up- but I guess a PowerCommander for the injection for your one.

SDU
15th November 2009, 14:56
I remember you saying where to go for a WoF. Can you remind me again? Ta.

Glouster motors
Glouster st & virtually on Fitzgerald ave cnr
Wofman is a kber & longwheely is setting up shop there as well for bike repairs especially electrical probs.

SDU
15th November 2009, 15:10
Thunderbike mufflers when you have run it in :yes: make them sound really nice and good for another 3-5hp with a K&N filter and jetted up- but I guess a PowerCommander for the injection for your one.

Thanks. I have already ordered the trimuph aftermarket ones when I bought bike- they should be here soon. Hadn't heard the thunderbike mufflers on a thruxton.
I have a new set off rear shocks ordered already as I find I bounce & wallow a bit going through corners espec noticeable once I was able to push it a bit more after the 1st service. The adjustment able to make to them firms the rear too much for me (might have been alright for a bigger person). It might be just the way I ride -after all I have mainly ridden Guzzi's -so different to the thruxton. unlike the V11 there is no real playing with the suspension set up & no dampening but up side the gearbox works every gear change - no clunkiness wots with that;)
There a couple of miner changes I'll make eventually to make it mine- money tree planted:msn-wink:

SDU
15th November 2009, 15:15
Was googling for some ideas for my bike when I came accross these beauties:drool:
room in my garage for these:D

Molly
15th November 2009, 18:37
Glouster motors
Glouster st & virtually on Fitzgerald ave cnr
Wofman is a kber & longwheely is setting up shop there as well for bike repairs especially electrical probs.

Cheers. Going to get the V11 road legal again. No point in it gathering dust and I might as well be enjoying it since nobody wants to buy it.

Molly
15th November 2009, 18:39
Was googling for some ideas for my bike when I came accross these beauties:drool:
room in my garage for these:D

That 4th one is a beauty.

Bloke on a nice, older, green Guzzi waved at me near Lincoln today. Nice people Guzzi owners. :niceone:

sAsLEX
15th November 2009, 18:44
I want the red one!

Some nice styling there.

Dodgyiti
16th November 2009, 05:39
Cheers. Going to get the V11 road legal again. No point in it gathering dust and I might as well be enjoying it since nobody wants to buy it.

Plenty of people want to buy it, I wouldn't mind it.
Economy is still down. Not a lot of money out there.
I have found with bikes (esp Guzzi's) is that if you don't use them once in a while, they give you trouble. So good plan, give her an outing once a month.

Dodgyiti
16th November 2009, 05:46
Thanks. I have already ordered the trimuph aftermarket ones when I bought bike- they should be here soon. Hadn't heard the thunderbike mufflers on a thruxton.
I have a new set off rear shocks ordered already as I find I bounce & wallow a bit going through corners espec noticeable once I was able to push it a bit more after the 1st service. The adjustment able to make to them firms the rear too much for me (might have been alright for a bigger person).

The Thunderbike mufflers are cool, look like Dunstalls and sound meaty. They chuck out 4-5cm of blue flame if you rev it then snap the throttle shut- only noticed that months later. Disconnect the air breather system that goes into the heads, save weight and add a little performance.
The only thing I didn't like was the range, petrol tank is too small, I found it comfy enough to ride for hours.
I never had trouble with the rear shocks, or the front forks either, set them up and never had to change anything for the 9,000kms of my brief fling.
And the gear change is lovely, compared to Guzzi's of pre CARC drive.

I have to add I got it cheaper because of the colour (yellow), it was last years model that didn't sell. I didn't care, I just liked riding it

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/album.php?albumid=2305

SDU
16th November 2009, 11:17
They do look awesome-something to think about. I love the sound off a meaty twin- Can't wait to get new mufflers-the originals make the bike sounds pathetic (especially after riding the MKIII/V11)
As for the rear shocks maybe I need to eat more pies & chocolate. Most people find them fine standard.

HenryDorsetCase
16th November 2009, 17:16
That Clubman makes me damp. Having said that why not 1000 cc and like 100 Hp and some decent torques? 49 hp is taking the piss. It wouldnt pull an old lady off a cast iron pisspot. Particularly when it weighs a metric lot.

but I wonder what it will be worth??? Enquiring minds and all.

Then again, its a custom seat, custom sidecovers, and paint. So you could do similar to any tube frame guzz, right?

HenryDorsetCase
16th November 2009, 17:19
I have a new set off rear shocks ordered already as I find I bounce & wallow a bit going through corners espec noticeable once I was able to push it a bit more after the 1st service. The adjustment able to make to them firms the rear too much for me (might have been alright for a bigger person). It might be just the way I ride -after all I have mainly ridden Guzzi's -so different to the thruxton. unlike the V11 there is no real playing with the suspension set up & no dampening but up side the gearbox works every gear change - no clunkiness wots with that;)
There a couple of miner changes I'll make eventually to make it mine- money tree planted:msn-wink:

Just be aware Thunderbike "mufflers" are REALLY FUCKING LOUD. Ive got them on the Scrambler. I dont mind it but it does piss the neighbours off a bit.

HenryDorsetCase
16th November 2009, 17:21
custom Guzzis on the Kneeslider:

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2009/06/25/moto-guzzi-makeovers/

I had that purple one as my PC wallpaper for a while

Dodgyiti
16th November 2009, 18:25
but I wonder what it will be worth??? Enquiring minds and all.

Then again, its a custom seat, custom sidecovers, and paint. So you could do similar to any tube frame guzz, right?

I estimate around 20 grand.
And yes, you could build one quite cheaply from a Targa750 or 750-T.The petrol tank is $1,235 ex-Italy and is the only 'special' Guzzi only part, the rest is easy enough to replicate.

Dodgyiti
16th November 2009, 18:28
I'll add this link so SDU can dream about custom Mk3's as well.

http://www.bikeexif.com/moto-guzzi-le-mans-cafe-racer

And here is how they did it;

http://www.glossylifestyle.com/pics/guzzi/

Molly
16th November 2009, 19:20
SDU. Thanks for the advice re. the WoF. Good to have somebody who knows not to shove a jack in the middle of your sump. All good and legal again. Much appreciated.

Re. the Triumph mufflers. I had Triumph Off Road (TORs) on my Scrambler and they sounded SHIT! Thunderbike mufflers on my Speedmaster were better sounding I have to say. Know a bloke in ChCh with a Thruxton like yours with Arrow pipes. They look bloody cool. He works for Christchurch Motorcycles out on Wigram Road and uses the bike for work. I'm sure he wouldn't mind you having a listen (name's Squid - nice bloke).

:-)

Beeza
17th November 2009, 11:35
If you build any bike to look cobby and lithe, like a pukka race-bike, it would help enormously if it actually won some races.

Ducati know that; Guzzi somehow lost that thread in the Fifties, even before the absolutely fabulous-looking Le Mans 850.

A shaft-driven transverse V-twin in a modest state of tune simply can't win races these days. That's a motor strictly for cruising and touring and commuting only. With the old V50, the 850T, 1000SP and the Norge at least the form and the function are fully combined.

Guzzi are trapped in a time-warp with that V2 motor. It's time for a new watercooled four or a six with chain drive and designed to win real races.

SDU
17th November 2009, 12:54
Just be aware Thunderbike "mufflers" are REALLY FUCKING LOUD. Ive got them on the Scrambler. I dont mind it but it does piss the neighbours off a bit.

Thanks for the heads up- the neighbours are probably already pissed off with my partners rattly bloody clutch :whistle:

Thanks Molly, I'll keep that in mind.

SDU
17th November 2009, 12:57
I'll add this link so SDU can dream about custom Mk3's as well.

http://www.bikeexif.com/moto-guzzi-le-mans-cafe-racer

And here is how they did it;

http://www.glossylifestyle.com/pics/guzzi/

You're such a tease:laugh:

Dodgyiti
17th November 2009, 16:46
If you build any bike to look cobby and lithe, like a pukka race-bike, it would help enormously if it actually won some races.

Ducati know that; Guzzi somehow lost that thread in the Fifties, even before the absolutely fabulous-looking Le Mans 850.

A shaft-driven transverse V-twin in a modest state of tune simply can't win races these days. .

Sorry, going to have to haul you up on this:
:sherlock:The Mk1 had a moderately successfull production racing career in 76/77, as did the 750 Sport in 72/3 and then the Mk5 in the hands of Dr John in the late 80's and again in the mid 90's with the Daytona and the MG01 in the last few years doing battle of the twins. It just seems like they did not much since the 50's (before that they were quite dominant for the size of the factory) and having the factory halt all racing efforts in the 50's does not help. It has only been privateer efforts since then, and to have any success without a factory interested in racing is no mean feat.

Wining races these days? Sure, but have you seen any post classic racing in NZ lately?? Sidecar in that with a pretty mellow tuned shaftie doing quite well thank you, and there are some up and coming solos just built to watch out for as well.

dangerous
17th November 2009, 17:11
yummmmy............... :drool:How did I miss a Guzzi thread... you lot are getting slack.

Right... they look shitter than a shitty thing, posing on crap like that is not what MG is about "no sir I dont like it"
Now Id love to see the LaMans name come back (altho it would mean I wouldent have the very last one any more) but it would have to be in keeping with what the leMans is about, and thats a racey tourer, this crap of finishing the body work over the rear axel and exposing the back half of the wheel is terrable, let the nips and motoGP bikes do it.

Ghost_Bullet
19th November 2009, 16:17
I missed this one to, but saw these vids this morning...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j_U2y3VZDI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnr3WLAnnGA
Not sure if I like or not... yeah I do... some bits are a bit, yuk. mmmmm

Dodgyiti
20th November 2009, 10:33
Blimey Ghost!
How did you miss this Guzzi thread too?
Yes I agree, some bits are cool, like header wrap on a production bike, but a fully chromed nylon tank??:sick:

nudemetalz
20th November 2009, 11:29
The Clubman Racer should be a fully polished alloy tank IMO.
Give it another 30hp with 100cc more and then you've made it ideal.

Dodgyiti
30th November 2009, 06:18
I have been doing a bit of study on these models. As of 2011 Guzzi will finally be using cooling on its big twins.
Have a read of this:

http://www.guzzitube.com/new/viewPage.php?ID=Guzzi_Concepts

nudemetalz
30th November 2009, 09:25
.....and also see that the V7 Clubman Racer is not for production either :(

dangerous
30th November 2009, 17:13
I have been doing a bit of study on these models. As of 2011 Guzzi will finally be using cooling on its big twins.
Have a read of this:

http://www.guzzitube.com/new/viewPage.php?ID=Guzzi_Concepts

very interesting... :scooter:
But why the hell dont they put a water jacket around the barrel and head and add fins to keep the look? like the engine they drew up years ago but at some retro cooling fins.

nudemetalz
30th November 2009, 20:26
very interesting... :scooter:
But why the hell dont they put a water jacket around the barrel and head and add fins to keep the look? like the engine they drew up years ago but at some retro cooling fins.

'cause it would look like a CX500......

dangerous
1st December 2009, 05:10
'cause it would look like a CX500......COOL....... :whistle:

Dodgyiti
1st December 2009, 07:20
They are careful not to stray too far from their roots, this will be step one of moving into water cooling. They will have to as emission laws get more strict and Guzzi falls even further behind everyone in HP figures.

The cafe racer will in some form go into production. The Griso is a prime example- shown at Milan 2002- made pretty much exactly as the prototype into production 2005 and no one at the time (2002) thought something so radical for them would make the showroom. It did, and it was good.