PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on '91 onwards ZXR400 and FZR400 pls

Repsol_NSR
22nd April 2005, 20:46
i have requested info previously on the GSXR400 and me as a newbie to a bike world appreciates all the feedbacks and comments on it.

i also need some input on '91 onwards Kawasaki ZXR400 (later model after the twin round headlights) and Yamaha FZR400RR compare to the Honda VFR400 (NC30) and CBR400R (or RR)

what are the ups and downs on them ? what to look out ? what normally goes wrong ? maintenance wise ? handling and performance wise ? how difficult on sourcing parts for each bike ?

again, i'm trying to get a bike that would fall into my budget and won't drain my $ after i buy it

again, thanks for all the helps fellas

:)

Repsol_NSR
22nd April 2005, 20:49
this is one of the reason i'm interested on fzr400rr, http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=25687543&key=9749653

any idea how serious it might be ? how expensive to get it fixed ? and what might cause the leak and noise ?

ktulu
22nd April 2005, 20:50
Have heard lots of good things about the ZXR and they appear to stand up pretty well to racing.

Know a fe people who love the NC30 aswell so you're on to a good thing

Repsol_NSR
22nd April 2005, 20:54
i think i read in the forum before that some ZXR model have problem with their brakes systems ? (or am i seeing things ? :))

gav
22nd April 2005, 20:55
ZXR400L best all round 400, best suspension, brakes & engine, decent size rims means good choice of tyres. NC30 OK if it fits you, they are a bit smaller. RVF400 if youre rich and just want to pose. That FZR could be an expensive fix, maybe S/H motor could be an option?

Milky
22nd April 2005, 21:21
i have requested info previously on the GSXR400 and me as a newbie to a bike world appreciates all the feedbacks and comments on it.

i also need some input on '91 onwards Kawasaki ZXR400 (later model after the twin round headlights) and Yamaha FZR400RR compare to the Honda VFR400 (NC30) and CBR400R (or RR)

what are the ups and downs on them ? what to look out ? what normally goes wrong ? maintenance wise ? handling and performance wise ? how difficult on sourcing parts for each bike ?

again, i'm trying to get a bike that would fall into my budget and won't drain my $ after i buy it

again, thanks for all the helps fellas

:)

Having only really ridden my ZXR and KKs VFR - the ZXR seems better for racing - the best front end in the business, but a slightly hard rear end, which I have got used to over time. ZXR is a suprisingly upright seating position, only your knees are tucked well up. The VFR feels like a 250, thin tank, low bars, probably a little easier to chuck around psychologically, where the ZXR is easier to do here to Wellington on.
VFR = more torque as a V4, ZXR = the best top end in the class supposedly, along with the wonderful kwaka howl nearing red line.
ZXRs need camchains after 50+ks depending on usage. Parts are piss easy to source, heaps of aftermarket bits which are much cheaper than factory. Some of the bits are compatible with the 250s too.
VFRs being a V4 are a little harder to work on re carb balancing/header fitting etc, but not that bad.
Both are pretty robust, and are the more popular ones from the group. There dont seem to be many of the FZRs around, not sure what parts are like for them either. The one GSXR I rode was a shitbox so I cant really comment on them.

Whatever way you go, as a class they are a heap of fun to ride. Best of luck on your search.

gav
22nd April 2005, 21:32
Here ya go!
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-25849098.htm

Repsol_NSR
22nd April 2005, 21:51
yep, that's a nice one indeed. too bad it's in wellington and im here in akl

hard to check the bike with a distance like this and also don't know how am i gonna freight it to akl

:(

ps : what do you think about this one : http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=25936184&key=9754414
you reckon it's the same model as the white green one (squarish headlight) or the older twin round headlights model ?

FEINT
23rd April 2005, 08:54
this could be what you are looking for!

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail.asp?id=26046415

Repsol_NSR
23rd April 2005, 09:32
nah, not ZZR feint. im more of the ZXR fans. u know what sort of power they put out from factory ? (zxr400 that is)

justsomeguy
23rd April 2005, 10:11
OK Rep...

If I didn;t have to wait 9 FECKING YEARS:angry2: :angry2: :angry2:

to get my license this is what I would have bought!!!

93ZXR, 18K, White/Blue/Green

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Motorbikes/Motorbikes/Sports-tourer/auction-25812603.htm

The auction is expiring in an hour, so here are the sellers contact details:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2>visioncomplete (http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/show_member_listings.asp?member=888590) </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2><SMALL>No one has traded with visioncomplete yet</SMALL></TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD colSpan=2><SMALL>Member since February 2005</SMALL></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=2>Phone: 07 8494239</TD></TR><TR><TD noWrap>Mobile: 027 4391364</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Repsol_NSR
23rd April 2005, 14:34
thanks mate

will look at it

did u get done for speeding did u ?

FROSTY
23rd April 2005, 15:28
It depends on your budget and your ultimate intention with the bike.I've owned both and Im currently racing the H model (1988-1991)ZXR
Milky really covered it off--For road use the rear shock is diabolical. For track use its fantastic.Given the last 18 months over again I would have bought a zxr 400sp which has all the go fast goodies.Upside down forks have better internals,close ratio box ,flat slide carbs and Bigger airbox/cams.
The FZR I think is a better road bike and the engine is pretty well bullet proof.The fantastic thing there is -should ya lunch the motor I think the fzr600 motor slots straight in
Parts availibility is preety good for both except that in auckland we only have henderson motorcycles selling yam parts.

geoffm
23rd April 2005, 19:06
The best road bike (IMO) would be the VFR.
The FZRs are pretty reliable and can take a thrashing, but the motors are peakier than the VFR, which is a pain for commuting.
known problems include the valves mushrooming with hard use, makes them hard to start. The regulators are weak and can die - check battery charging voltage to see. Search for the FZR400 FAQ on the web.
Suspension is "basic" with little adjustment, although upgraded in the last models. Probably tired by now as well. The forks are soft, whcih detracts from an otherwise good handling bike. Not hard to fix.
The later (3TJ) models are harder to get parts for and not as common as the earlier 1WG (to 1989). the differences are a 17" rear wheel and styling.
The SPs had a close ratio box, single seat and different shock. The RR-SP (IIRC) had flatslide carbies as well.
There is an active FZR400 mailing list.
Geoff

justsomeguy
23rd April 2005, 19:51
thanks mate

will look at it

did u get done for speeding did u ?

No I was just born too late....... still on my Losers

Repsol_NSR
26th April 2005, 22:56
thanks for all inputs and comments guys

anyone else wanna add some more comments / inputs ??

what sort of power do those bike, zxr400, fzr400, vfr400, cbr400 and gsx-r400 put out in std form ? which one of them easier to up the power ?